• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And Now Comes a YOSHI'S NEW ISLAND REVIEW THREAD to spread controversy

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Maybe some other folks at Nintendo also realizes that the original Yoshi's Island wasn't that great of a game to begin with.

I'd argue this game got the treatment it deserved.

Well clearly Nintendo doesn't view Yoshi as a franchise worth developing in-house. There hasn't been an EAD developed Yoshi game since 1997.

Unless you count Touch and Go, but that was just a packaged tech demo.

its so weird. the last big 3ds game, bravely default, also has a paintery style with great use of layers in 3D... wonder what went wrong here.

Nintendo's treatment of the series has been atrocious. Why give a team with little creativity or talent the chance to make not one but TWO shitty sequels to one of the best games ever made? After the DS blunder they should have left it alone or reconsidered who would make the next game.This may be a tad early with only one review in but I would be shocked if anyone claims this game is great.

Davey Cakes

The difference between Yoshi's New Island and Yarn Yoshi is that I actually have confidence in Yarn Yoshi being flat-out good (if a bit divisive going by peoples' views of Kirby's Epic Yarn). Can't say the same for YNI. It's just the difference between the track records of Artoon/Arzest and Good Feel.

Griss

4 implies there is something fundamentally wrong with the game.

Fine if there is, but they may just be punishing the game fir being a clone of itself . I.e. not enough differences to justify a sequel.

If they just released the original again it would probably get an 8.

Here's waiting on reviews although I'm not buying no matter what.

I don't think this game look really interresting.
But to get 4 i think a game must close to be broken.

All a 4 means is that the game is below average. Thankfully Edge use the entire reviewing scale, so they're more than willing to give out 3s and 4s to games that function correctly but aren't very good, or fun, or imaginative or anything 'good'.

I mean, the average game released for the 3DS is not broken. Take all the 3DS releases of last year and compare Yoshi's Island to them. It wouldn't surprise me at all if its quality was below average.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm on World 5.

This game is so boring. It's basically soulless. There isn't a single stage that makes me thing "Oh, ok. I see why they had to make a new game."

Zing

Banned
Here come all the posts from people who had no interest in buying the game clapping with glee at a single negative review while ignoring the other sources providing first-hand positive impressions.

Based on a single review? EDGE is one of the more brutal publications when it comes to review scores, from where I'm standing. Wait until 11, then pounce on the no-long-good-at-anything train.

You don't have to tell me that. It's just the Nintendomination + Edge score are giving off bad vibes, that's all. :-(

Griss

Yoshi Touch & Go (DS, 2005) was produced in-house, as was the GBA Yoshi's Island port.

A port and a glorified tech demo don't really make a great case that it's an important franchise to Nintendo's in-house teams.

It's clear to me that Nintendo think that Yoshi can only be marketed towards young children, unlike Mario and Donkey Kong whom they believe can be marketed at all ages as 'fun for the family' entertainment.

They might be right about that, I don't know. (In fact I'd lean towards yes, they're right.) But that's what they think, and both the game design and effort expended from Yoshi's Story until now backs up that assertion. After all, the littlest kids don't really care about quality.

Famassu

Ohh dear. Suit up, this is gonna be good.

This is not going to help Nintendo's current public image at all.

Yoshi's Island DS was already crap and that didn't affect their public image much. Its sequel from largely the same people being shit doesn't surprise nor really affect Nintendo's image.

JavyOO7

Damn. Its either this or Lego 3DS so I can apply for free Pokemon X or Y. I'm bummed out now... I really like platformers though. What should I do...

javac

Ended up cancelling my pre-order. To be honest I would have bought it anyways but with Durarara collectors edition bluray this month and Lagann ultimate edition in 2 months, and with a slew of other blurays (Mononoke) games (Kart 8) I got no money. Lucky the game doesn't look so hot.

Somnid

I think we all saw this being mediocre. From what I've heard in previews this week it's better than it seems but doesn't really excel much at anything.

Ansatz

Yoshi's Island DS is apparently a shitty game? wow. I thought it lived up to the original, could be better if it was more streamlined, the baby switching mechanic that is.

Tropical Freeze only got a 7 from Edge?

Not sure what to make of this score, that said the level design looks decent at best from the couple of preview levels I've seen.

JoeM86

I think we all saw this being mediocre. From what I've heard in previews this week it's better than it seems but doesn't really excel much at anything.

I've been playing it a bit since it arrived today. It's good, not amazing, but good. Music direction is a bit meh, and the graphics do actually work for it. However, I can see why people would be down on it.

I, for one, am happy to see more review scales that stop giving credit to a game for "working".

I'd love to see the generally accepted definition of a 4/10 change from "buggy with serious technical problems" and see it more as "uninspired and pointless".

The 0/1 range seems to be the appropriate place for a game that doesn't work. IMO.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I wouldn't consider that a Nintendo franchise. It has none of their "core" characters. Its a third-party exclusive, through and through.

Nintendo published it, and they own the IP.
Similar to how Capcom owns Viewtiful Joe.
It's a Nintendo franchise.

I'll be looking forward to Yarn Yoshi.

Yeah, have they shown anything else about that game since the one Nintendo Direct (or whatever it was)? I thoroughly enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn, solely because of the aesthetic, and I'm interested in another game using that same art style.

big_z

I don't know why this series got thrown to the gutter after the snes game. The first one played like a quirky smw. After that its like
Nintendo pushed it away from its mario roots and into an easy to play pile of bland.

I don't understand why miyamoto would approve on such a boring, uninspired game when he's been known to send teams back to the drawing board if their game is lacking.

Caladrius

Yeah, have they shown anything else about that game since the one Nintendo Direct (or whatever it was)? I thoroughly enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn, solely because of the aesthetic, and I'm interested in another game using that same art style.

No. We haven't seen hide or hair.

The general consensus is that the game was announced extremely early.

The Boat

I'm only up to world 4, but that edge review is pretty ridiculous, especially the part about platforms not being visible, something I haven't experienced a single time so far.

From what I've played it's a nice game, nothing special, but at least above average. It doesn't look as good as the original although I like the look. I would prefer sprites, but the levels look pretty good and although some of the music is trippy in a bad way, there are plenty of cool songs and level design starts picking up from world 3, even if I haven't seen anything ground breaking so far.

So far, I'm having fun, when I finish it, I'll know what I feel, but as expected typical GAF and internet hyperbole isn't justified and neither is Edge's review.

Top Bottom