• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And Now Comes a YOSHI'S NEW ISLAND REVIEW THREAD to spread controversy

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Most interesting quote from the Polygon review:

the platforming is challenging throughout.

I'm genuinely unsure of whether or not I believe it.

Meanwhile, Tom McShae says:

the non-existent challenge is just one issue with Yoshi's New Island

Who do I trust less in this case?!

Oh god I just realized that literally every single reviewer will work in an "egg" pun into their review. If someone makes a drinking game based on how many times they use an egg pun, I think you'd be dead by noon today.

stupei

Ohh dear. Suit up, this is gonna be good.

This is not going to help Nintendo's current public image at all.

The good news is that the public at large mostly doesn't seem to care about this game.

Was hoping it'd be good. :\

Phazon

I tweeted some impressions, so I guess I'll share them here too :)

I finished the game in five hours (but I'm a fast one) and I didn't collect everything.

If you want to collect everything, I'm pretty sure it'll take you around 10-20 hours.

I like the graphics, they are very beautiful to see on your 3DS and the 3D gives it some more depth.

The music however is not so good. It's full of subpar remixes when you compare it to the SNES one.

The new gameplay mechanics aren't too convincing either. It feels forced most of the time.

On the positive side. The simple, but ingenious boss mechanics are very well done imo.

There's also a lot of challenge for those who want to collect everything, so that's a good thing too.

However, everything felt like I've seen it before and they just 'reused' it. Nothing surprising.

If you've never played one or dying to play another one, go buy it. If not, think before buying it.

Xater

Patrick doesn't think it's very challenging either:

everal worlds into Yoshi's New Island's six areas, I kept waiting for the game to finally start. There is a challenge arc to modern Nintendo platformers. The first few worlds might not provide much difficulty for a player versed in Nintendo's past, but, eventually, the game will leave newcomers behind, asking them to indulge in the game's handholding item that springs to life after several deaths. This shift does come in Yoshi's New Island, but it doesn't happen until the final world, and it's too little, too late. World six is when the game decides to challenge players to combine well-timed jumps with very specific skill shots in order to advance forward, let alone collect everything that's scattered about. Those last eight stages are fantastic, a window into a game that isn't present anywhere else. For a while, I thought Yoshi's New Island was going to pull the same trick as Super Mario 3D Land, opening up another set of six worlds that put my skills to a true test, but it never happens. The credits roll, and it's all over just as it was beginning.

Takao

Banned
Venture Beat:

Nintendo didn’t do Yoshi’s New Island any favors by adhering so closely to the game that spawned this Mario sub-series. As a huge fan of Yoshi’s Island, New sometimes felt odd. Despite that, however, solid gameplay and diabolically well-hidden collectibles have me sticking around.

As a whole, it’s not as good as the original game. It’s merely solid, and it is also evidence that Nintendo should probably stop trying to recapture the 19-year-old magic.

Score: 70/100

Ninjimbo

I expect mediocrity all around. That's what the game has always looked liked since its unveiling. To think that what probably is the best 2D game ever crafted has been followed up by titles not even worthy of the name. It hurts man.

Davey Cakes

Looks like some good scores, some bad scores. The game is going to average in the middle as expected. Not going to be worth a full price purchase.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So basically, it ranges from bad to average.
Well.... that's a shame. I didn't realize the game was farmed out till now.

Wiz

Blame Arzest. Simply put, they are not good developers.

Should have given to a more capable studio.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Do you play the game properly, as in collect the flowers and red coins, try to get all star points? Trust Polygon. Do you just try to rush through a few levels and stop at level 2-5? Trust McShae (not saying he stopped there, but starting 2-6 the game gets more and more challenging even if you don't collect the flowers / coins).

Blame Arzest. Simply put, they are not good developers.

Should have given to a more capable studio.

But they were supposed to be supervised by Takashi Tezuka and EAD...what happened?

Was there just a point where even the best supervision couldn't save a listless development team when put under certain deadlines? :-(

Polygon Review: http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/13/5493546/yoshis-new-island-review-bringing-up-baby

Haven't read it yet, so I can't, in good conscience shit on it. In due time, I suppose.

That review text makes absolutely no sense in comparison to the score, even if you used the "whole scale" argument. The way it reads, they make it sound like the game is fantastic, except for the brief submarine sequences. The review is practically glowing. 7.5.

What?

Davey Cakes

real talk: yoshi's island has never been good.
Yoshi's Island SNES is quite easily a contender for the top 5 2D platformers of all time. I'd be willing to put it above Super Mario World, even.

It's not a game with undeserved praise. It's brilliant. Enough said.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
But they were supposed to be supervised by Takashi Tezuka and EAD...what happened?

Was there just a point where even the best supervision couldn't save a listless development team when put under certain deadlines? :-(

It sounded like he was thrown in there more towards the game's completion to try and salvage the thing.

Op, you should replace your image with this one.

sFA5gmf.png

kinda feels like a 3DS remake of yoshis island with added levels/tweaked since a couple trailers had some familiar things from the SNES one

that being said I'll pick it up sometime along the line since I love Yoshi

DaBoss

Jesus, Nintendomination saying the game is crap is everything I need to hear. Dude's a hardcore Nintendo fanboy that defends pretty much everything they do.

The other reviews paint the picture as well.
No.

Petrae

I've always disliked Yoshi's Island myself, but I always thought the game was a "not for me" scenario instead of "not good".

There's obviously a fair number of people who think it's great. It just never clicked with me.

Top Bottom