• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Apologies for the double post but do you guys know if any of the Android Prince of Persia games are any good? I was tempted by Prince of Persia Shadow and Flame but the dedicated NeoGAF thread for the game that's quite ancient now didn't look promising. Impressions seemed to range from negative to mediocre.

Is the game worth the download? Or any of the other Prince of Persia games?

jvm

Gamasutra.
I wouldn't recommend this one. When I bought it (with amazon coins) I didn't like the controls and it felt very beggy with the IAPs.
I have enjoyed it but be warned that it does not work on my Nexus 7 (2013) with Android 5.x. I'm guessing Ubisoft doesn't plan to fix it. :-(

Vorg

Banned
Yeah I've enjoyed the shadow and the flame as well. It's a great little game imo. The fights are a lot easier than they were in the dos original, but the level design is good and has a lot of secrets to find. The gesture based gameplay also works quite nicely, imo.

Yeah I've enjoyed the shadow and the flame as well. It's a great little game imo. The fights are a lot easier than they were in the dos original, but the level design is good and has a lot of secrets to find. The gesture based gameplay also works quite nicely, imo.

Sounds good! I think the game is worth trying out then. It just sounded so promising in theory (a true sequel to Prince of Persia) so perhaps it's worth the re-download then. I'll try it out and let you guys know of my impressions. Also to give back to this thread somewhat:

major_mag.jpg

I had this recommended to me on Sonic Retro and it's fucking awesome. You guys should check it out.

Thanks everyone for all of your help in this thread so far!

So I've been looking around for some decent tower defense games after falling in love with the Kingdom Rush series. All three Kingdom Rush games are now completed (still pushing my way through the original but I think I'll be done soon). The closest game I found that seems to be similar to the series is Castle Defense. Is this game any good? First impressions are that it looks good enough but also kind of seems like a shameless Kingdom Rush clone. Any of you guys played it? Also tempted by the awesome looking neon Radiant Defense though I'm hesitant on that one because it looks like it's all style and no substance. Is the game any good?

Also am I missing any awesome tower defense games that I haven't mentioned? Help would be appreciated!

jvm

Gamasutra.
Is there anything like Vector TD on Android? I loved that game on the PSP (as a PSP mini) and I'd really like to see something similar on my tablet.

Heck, I should ask. Is the original Desktop Tower Defense not on Android?

The Room Two is on sale for $0.59 (Regular: $2.99), not a bad price for anyone who missed the Humble Bundle that it was in.

Bunch of SNK sales due to the NeoGeo's 25th anniversary, though it looks like most of their titles don't work on LolliPop. Fatal Fury and Garou are their two most recent releases, and they don't have the LolliPop-related warning that the other games have on their product pages. So those two might work in LP. And SamSho2 was updated back in January, so that might also work.

Fatal Fury Special - $0.99 (Regular: $3.99; 75% off)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - $0.99 (Regular: $3.99; 75% off)
Samurai Shodown 2 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug 2 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug X - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug 3 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
The King of Fighters '97 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
The King of Fighters '98 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
The King of Fighters-A 2012 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)

Piccoro

The Room Two is on sale for $0.59 (Regular: $2.99), not a bad price for anyone who missed the Humble Bundle that it was in.

Bunch of SNK sales due to the NeoGeo's 25th anniversary, though it looks like most of their titles don't work on LolliPop. Fatal Fury and Garou are their two most recent releases, and they don't have the LolliPop-related warning that the other games have on their product pages. So those two might work in LP. And SamSho2 was updated back in January, so that might also work.

Fatal Fury Special - $0.99 (Regular: $3.99; 75% off)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - $0.99 (Regular: $3.99; 75% off)
Samurai Shodown 2 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug 2 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug X - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug 3 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
The King of Fighters '97 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
The King of Fighters '98 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
The King of Fighters-A 2012 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)

All of those games except maybe A-2012 support Bluetooth controllers.
Blazing Star also has permanent price of 0.89 €.

reKon

Banned
Thanks everyone for all of your help in this thread so far!

So I've been looking around for some decent tower defense games after falling in love with the Kingdom Rush series. All three Kingdom Rush games are now completed (still pushing my way through the original but I think I'll be done soon). The closest game I found that seems to be similar to the series is Castle Defense. Is this game any good? First impressions are that it looks good enough but also kind of seems like a shameless Kingdom Rush clone. Any of you guys played it? Also tempted by the awesome looking neon Radiant Defense though I'm hesitant on that one because it looks like it's all style and no substance. Is the game any good?

Also am I missing any awesome tower defense games that I haven't mentioned? Help would be appreciated!

Kingdom Rush is the best of the best in terms of these games on Android (or iOS as well probably). Radiant Defense is worth checking out. Visually the game is stunning and fun, but very difficult. I had to use a guide to help me figure out some of the levels.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Definitely nabbing Motorsport Manager at that price as I've heard good things about it. There are also a bunch of DotEmu games on sale right now too

R-Type - £0.09!
R-Type 2 -£0.09!
Another World - £0.30
Raiden Legacy - £0.30
Little Big Adventure - £0.40
Double Dragon Trilogy - £0.40

Two more added to the BTA tier, in the Tin Man Games Mobile Bundle
The HMB11 is finished, in its place is the Humble Tin Man Games Mobile Bundle. Apparently, this is a collection of "Fantasy Gamebooks," sort of like Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books with RPG elements.

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

PWYW Tier:
Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106
Slaves of Rema
Siege of the Necromancer
An Assassin in Orlandes

BTA Tier:
Trial of the Clone
Curse of the Assassin
Fighting Fantasy: Caverns of the Snow Witch
Sultans of Rema
Zombocalypse Now
Appointment with FEAR

$9 Tier:
Ryan North's To Be or Not To Be
Fighting Fantasy: Starship Traveller

Terraria $0.99 (80% off)
Motorsport Manager $0.30 (85% off)

Highly recommend Motorsport Manage.

I wish they would add controller support to Terraria already :(

I bought Motorsport Manager based on the recommendations here, and it is quite impressive.

The best way to describe it would be that it's a Kairosoft-esque game with much more of a focus on management during the actual races. Outside of races, you can upgrade your cars, check on your drivers and engineers (There doesn't seem to be an explicit way to train to improve their skills, so it's more of a matter of keeping the good ones and letting the bad ones go), scout and develop new drivers, find new sponsors, and improve the facilities (hire more employees so the car stats in certain areas can grow faster, or fire employees to cut costs).

Then you get to the actual racing series. Before each race, you can decide how to setup your cars (Tires, Transmission, Aerodynamics), and basically use the qualifying round to test out different configurations (while trying to get the best lap times). One interesting factor to keep you goal-oriented is the "Sponsor's Bonus" for each Qualifier and Race, where the sponsor gives you some extra cash for achieving above a designated position in the Qualifier and finishing above a designated position in the Race. During the race itself, you have to assign strategies to each racer to balance their performance and tire wear; decide when to push the car harder, when to hold back to preserve tire quality, and most importantly, when and how often to pit, along with whether to change tire type while in the pit (e.g. switching to Wet tires if it starts to rain).

It's a pretty interesting game so far, and it seems well worth the 30 cents.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Shadowrun: Dragonfall- DC is on sale!!!!! I've waited for this to go down in price for quite some time. Super excited!

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - DC ($2.99, 57% off)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.harebrainedschemes.dragonfall

Shadowrun Returns ($1.99, 33% off)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.harebrainedschemes.shadowrun
Oh man, I was seconds away from blowing all my saved up Google Play Rewards credit on this last night. So glad I held off.

Thanks for the heads up, dude.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Zakalwe

Banned
Has anyone played Implosion yet?

Playing this now. On the forth mission (re-did the first to earn Hardmode badges - missions are scored and replayable, they have badges to collect for meeting certain conditions and they unlock upgrades - leaderboards and cloud saves, too).

First impression is great. Everything screams quality. The presentation, animation, voice acting, art style, menus. It's easily one of the most lavish games I've played on the iPad.

The virtual stick is the best I've ever used. While there's no haptic feedback which has put some off (see last page), the character you control moves with a real sense of weight (the sound makes me feel it) which makes you feel like you're sticking to the ground, the amount of control I felt took me by surprise a little.

The combat is, again, weighty and incredibly satisfying. Takes a little strategy at times too. Timing attacks, rolling, charging, switching between light/heavy to clear areas most efficiently. Hard definitely takes more focus, especially to compete take no damage challenge modes.

Tap the attack button quickly and you light attack with your standard combo. Pause for a split second at any point in the combo and you'll see a faint purple sphere grow from the centre of your character. Tapping while the sphere is present will launch the next step of the combo as a heavy attack. You can play around with this for a variety of strings, and once you get the rhythm it becomes second nature very quickly.

There's a basic leveling system (the Ark System) that you modify by collecting upgrade modules and assigning them to certain nodes. These affect stats such as Power, Endurance, Armour, Shields. I'm not sure what Rage does yet, and one's not account for atm (Hack Level) that I assume will be revealed soon.

Each level so far has added something new and upped the ante just enough to make it feel varied and like the threat is scaling naturally.

The music reminds me of X-Com, it has a grim urgency to it. It's effective.

The voice acting, presentation, art, characters are very obviously Metal Gear inspired, it's so well done that it doesn't bother me.

If it keeps this up I can see this jumping to the top of my all time iOS titles and I've never enjoyed action games on the plarform before.

Will let you know how I feel when I've finished it.

anddo0

How are the controls? Is there an on screen d-pad or do you point and click.

No on screen joystick, straight point and click. It's very responsive.

What are the recommended minimum specs for Shadowrun?

It will run on well on most devices released in 2012 and beyond. The game runs flawlessly on my 2013 Sony Xperia Tablet Z.... My Z3 loads it faster, runs slightly better. Hell it even runs on my old S3... I still prefer this type of game on a tablet though (text easier to read etc...)

PC System Requirements Minimum: OS:Windows XP SP3/Vista/Windows 7 Processor: x86-compatible 1.4GHz or faster processor Memory:2 GB RAM Graphics:DirectX compatible 3D graphics card with at least 256MB of addressable memory DirectX®:9.0 Hard Drive:2 GB HD space

Anything with at least 1GB of RAM, Android 4 and up, 1.7GB of storage space. Should run it.

Nikodemos

I still prefer this type of game on a tablet though (text easier to read etc...)
That's generally the rub with more advanced mobile games like itself, King of Dragon Pass, XCOM, FTL, CoE3, BG1/2 etc. You need screen acreage to get all the info displayed properly.

It's why I held off buying them until I get a device with at least a 9" display.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Well. I have it on steam, ios and Android and I haven't played it. You are in good company.
Xbox, Steam, and Android for me. I've played through the Xbox version twice, though. It's a great game, you should make it a priority.

The original Kingdom Rush is now free. Not sure if it's temporary but now is a good time to grab it if you haven't.

As a rule, once a app entry is made Free on the Play Store, it's Free forever. That's why in the past, when some devs wanted to make their game Free for a promotional period (e.g. Carmageddon, The Curse, some AppGratis promotions), they'd usually have to set up a second app entry specifically for the promo, "hiding" the page after the promo period is up.

In this case, they made the primary Store page Free, rather than setting up a second page, and it has IAPs to support it over the long-term, I'm guessing that this is going to be Free from now on.

As a rule, once a app entry is made Free on the Play Store, it's Free forever. That's why in the past, when some devs wanted to make their game Free for a promotional period (e.g. Carmageddon, The Curse, some AppGratis promotions), they'd usually have to set up a second app entry specifically for the promo, "hiding" the page after the promo period is up.

In this case, they made the primary Store page Free, rather than setting up a second page, and it has IAPs to support it over the long-term, I'm guessing that this is going to be Free from now on.

Interesting, I never knew that. Thanks for the heads up, I'm still pretty new to Android.

I was going to buy it a couple weeks ago but having played it a few times on Armor Games I decided against it and just bought Origins so I'm glad it's free.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
How are the controls? Is there an on screen d-pad or do you point and click.

Point and click. It can be weird with floating enemies. You have to click the tile they are hovering over rather than their body. Other than that the controls are good.

I love this game so far. I was one of the few who really enjoyed Shadown Returns. It had some flaws but I had an extremely positive experience with it. I had heard a lot of people prefer Dragonfall. So far it's been very enjoyable. These games do something to my brain that just hits the pleasure/reward areas. Can't wait for the next one!

I haven't had a chance to play the o!d DnD games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale), do those play well on tablets? I'm finding more and more that I prefer to play on my tablet. I played Shadowrun Returns on PC and am so far preferring the experience on my Nexus 9.

yogloo

Wow. The controller mapper on shield tablet is well done. Had fun playing spell sword with it. Anything else I should try with it?

Top Bottom