• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guess I could ask here, as I've been trying to deal with this for a few days.

So I finally gave in & bought a smart phone, mainly a LG Tribute with 4.4.2 since it was on sale and I had some experience with it via family members. However, for the last two days, I've spent a good amount of time trying the different methods (some of which were mentioned on here) of having my 32GB micro SD be the main storage (mainly tricking the device into thinking the external micro SD is the internal memory), but with no luck. I tried using the SDK and "adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2" (which changed nothing) and then putting a modified vold.fstab file on my phone (also did nothing). There's a good amount of games I want to install, but I'm about to give up since nothing has worked.

It doesn't help one of the games I want to install, DJMAX Ray, is a whoppng 800MB....

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I've tried a bunch of different methods to use SD as my main storage. Nothing has worked, in my experiences. I had it working very briefly on my rooted Nook HD+, but that left me with a corrupted 64GB card that can't be saved.

I eventually just gave up and embraced emulators over filling my phone with Android games. Right now I'm going through some PSP and GBA stuff. All loadable from SD.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just find it silly that you can't save apps directly onto an SD card & then have such a small amount of internet memory (about a little over 1GB after all the misc. stuff and unremovable apps). Otherwise, it's a rather nice device, but it just perplexes me they would make having your SD card store apps such a pain to make happen.

Think some places have said that Samsung devices are a bit easier to deal with compared to LG, but I don't know if I can afford one, considering I got my Tribute for $60.

Wonder if TechGAF would be able to help me in Off-Topic....

kennah

They limited apps on sd cards because people were buying shitty slow SD cards, but then complained that apps were running shitty and slow.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Technika Q is decent, but I think it just made me want Technika Tune on Vita more so I don't have to deal with a small songlist unless I give in to buying, plus the bigger touchscreen might help.

Rhythm of Fighters, though, depending the sizes, I might give in & buy more packs. I do kind of wish I could just spend $10 and get everything, but hopefully I can fit all the DLC packs because I'd gladly buy 5 more songs for $1.

Wouldn't mind trying One Piece: Treasure Cruise again, but I think that just takes too much space considering all the data it has to download & how long it takes.

I noticed both R Type games are 9p each. Seems like it would be worth it at that price....

Bought Earn to Die earlier (also 9p and it's pretty damn fun. Nothing too fancy, just driving a vehicle from A to B through ever an ever increasing number of zombies and obstables. No micro transactions so far as I can tell.

Thanks everyone for all of your help in this thread so far!

So I've been looking around for some decent tower defense games after falling in love with the Kingdom Rush series. All three Kingdom Rush games are now completed (still pushing my way through the original but I think I'll be done soon). The closest game I found that seems to be similar to the series is Castle Defense. Is this game any good? First impressions are that it looks good enough but also kind of seems like a shameless Kingdom Rush clone. Any of you guys played it? Also tempted by the awesome looking neon Radiant Defense though I'm hesitant on that one because it looks like it's all style and no substance. Is the game any good?

Also am I missing any awesome tower defense games that I haven't mentioned? Help would be appreciated!

Radiant Defense is an absolute all-time favorite. My advice though, stick to the basic items and don't buy the powerful ones.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I noticed both R Type games are 9p each. Seems like it would be worth it at that price....

Bought Earn to Die earlier (also 9p and it's pretty damn fun. Nothing too fancy, just driving a vehicle from A to B through ever an ever increasing number of zombies and obstables. No micro transactions so far as I can tell.
R-Type is atrocious if you use the touch screen controls. There's plenty of input lag, dotEmu are the worst. I hope it fares better with an actual controller. Ordered one on Monday and I hope it makes the game playable, if it even has controller support :lol.

Only shooters that worked for me on smart phones are Cave's ports, they just play beautifully

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh wow, completely forgot about Cave's shmups being on Android. Though looking at the list, sucks half are iOS-only.

Though knowing how damn limited my storage is, I don't know if I want to spend money on games knowing they might not fit or I'm gonna have to remove other games I might want to keep.

I haven't had a chance to play the o!d DnD games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale), do those play well on tablets? I'm finding more and more that I prefer to play on my tablet. I played Shadowrun Returns on PC and am so far preferring the experience on my Nexus 9.

Quoting this because I'd also really like to know how they play. $10 is a lot to spend on if the controls are no good.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Quoting this because I'd also really like to know how they play. $10 is a lot to spend on if the controls are no good.

I don't have either game so I can't tell you, but you could give them a shot yourself. Google Play allows refunds up to 2 hours after purchase. That should be enough time for you to download and fiddle around for a bit, find out what you think.

I don't have either game so I can't tell you, but you could give them a shot yourself. Google Play allows refunds up to 2 hours after purchase. That should be enough time for you to download and fiddle around for a bit, find out what you think.

No idea why I never considered that since I've used the 2 hours to refund a couple times before.

Thanks!

If you're planning to get Icewind Dale, I'd suggest waiting a few days, because they just started a 50% off sale for it on the iTunes Store. I don't know if it's part of some event sale, or if they plan to do the same thing for the Play Store anytime soon. It's worth it to wait and see.

Sol1dus

Anybody here know if Nvidia's game for it's android console will be released for the tablet too?

Namely MGS, RE5 and Crysis 3

manfestival

Shadowrun: Dragonfall- DC is on sale!!!!! I've waited for this to go down in price for quite some time. Super excited!

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - DC ($2.99, 57% off)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.harebrainedschemes.dragonfall

Shadowrun Returns ($1.99, 33% off)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.harebrainedschemes.shadowrun

does anyone know of what the differences are from the pc and the android version? I am considering buying returns since I still got like 2 dollars of credit from google play but im wary.

does anyone know of what the differences are from the pc and the android version? I am considering buying returns since I still got like 2 dollars of credit from google play but im wary.

I played both titles on a Nexus 7 and the performance was abysmal: constant hiccups and crashes every half an hour.

Maybe with newer and more powerful devices the games will run smoother? Shadowrun: Hong Kong will be PC (Win, Linux and Mac) only btw.

Radiant Defense is an absolute all-time favorite. My advice though, stick to the basic items and don't buy the powerful ones.

Yeah I think you've successfully sold me now. I'm going to download Radiant Defense. So far I've tried the excellent Kingdom Rush series, Castle Defense (which seems to be a competently made rip off of Kingdom Rush) and next on the list is Radiant Defense. Are there any other awesome tower defense games I'm missing?

jvm

Gamasutra.
So The Last Express from Humble Bundle doesn't install, throwing a parse error after downloading the package. This is on a Nexus 7 (2013). If anyone knows any solutions, lemme know. :(

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but is there any list of the best VR games for android right now?

I just got a colorcross and wanted to experience all the different VR experiences on Android
Non-gaming recommendations are also welcome

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but is there any list of the best VR games for android right now?

I just got a colorcross and wanted to experience all the different VR experiences on Android

My experience with VR gaming is my kids and I holding my Shield Tablet like 4 inches from our face and moving it with our line of sight BUT we all thought a game called "Sisters" (If memory serves) was pretty cool. It is a fun little horror game where you are stuck on a couch.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.otherworld.Sisters&hl=en

Mindwipe

Non-gaming, but I thought Kaiju Fury was lots of fun for a few minutes.

So The Last Express from Humble Bundle doesn't install, throwing a parse error after downloading the package. This is on a Nexus 7 (2013). If anyone knows any solutions, lemme know. :(

I guess it's happening to everyone, because their Support just tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/humblesupport/status/595638811591372802
Humble Support Ninja
‏@humblesupport
We are still looking at The Last Express APK from Mobile 12 to find out what is happening with the install errors, will update with any news

EDIT: They tweeted something similar regarding Joe Danger, so that may have problems too until they can get a fixed APK.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
AW YISS!

OQ1mGJE.jpg
MOTHA

FUCKIN

GRIM FANDANGO

ON ANDROID

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doublefine.grimfandangoremastered

$9.99 for launch week then goes up to $14.99

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Put a couple hours into MKX. It's not bad! Takes a while for the difficulty to require more than just mindless tapping, but once it does it's a decent little game. Very simple fun. I think my love for the console version makes it more appealing, though.

anddo0

If you're planning to get Icewind Dale, I'd suggest waiting a few days, because they just started a 50% off sale for it on the iTunes Store. I don't know if it's part of some event sale, or if they plan to do the same thing for the Play Store anytime soon. It's worth it to wait and see.

You called it.

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition $4.14 (59% off, normally $9.99)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beamdog.icewinddale

what device are you using?

The android version doesn't have custom user levels, that's about it.

The android version has a save anywhere feature. I'm not sure if that was added to the pc version or not.

You called it.

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition $4.14 (59% off, normally $9.99)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beamdog.icewinddale

what device are you using?

The android version doesn't have custom user levels, that's about it.

The android version has a save anywhere feature. I'm not sure if that was added to the pc version or not.
Hmm. First comment indicates a problem with Lollipop on a Note 3.

Anyone play this on a Nexus 7 (2013) with Lollipop? If so, care to comment on performance or issues?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I played the original on PC and DF on Nexus 9. I think, overall, PC is the better experience. However, being able to play anywhere is better for me. Both look and play extremely well. Plus, it's only a couple of bucks on Google Play.

Thanks for this, ended up waiting because of this comment.

I've only put about an hour or so into it but it actually plays pretty great.

Hi guys bit of a strange one, I'm looking for a game I saw a lady playing on the train today. I'll try and describe it best I can. A pink cat floating in space, with a square isometric stomach, on which blocks are stacked. The player then releases blocks onto the grid, destroying or adding to existing stacks.

It was on a Samsung Galaxy.

Any ideas?

Hi guys bit of a strange one, I'm looking for a game I saw a lady playing on the train today. I'll try and describe it best I can. A pink cat floating in space, with a square isometric stomach, on which blocks are stacked. The player then releases blocks onto the grid, destroying or adding to existing stacks.

It was on a Samsung Galaxy.

Any ideas?
I don't know the exact game, but your description sounds like Nyan Cat.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Error 492. I'm getting it as well. Using a Galaxy S5 on Lollipop.

Forgot to reply to this.

Usually the way to fix this is to go into your system settings, and then go to apps. Find the Play Store and click on that. Then click uninstall updates. Then shit magically works again.

Don't ask me why, but it works every time.

A few sales:
CounterSpy - $0.99 (Regular $4.99)
Goat Simulator - $1.99 (Regular $4.99)

EDIT: Tried CounterSpy for a bit. Can't say I'd recommend it from my short playtime, mostly due to the controls. Rather than going with a virtual joystick or a point-and-click interface, they went with a weird gesture-based control scheme. Swipe left/right to start moving in that direction, tap to stop, swipe up to jump/climb, double-tap to interact with a nearby object, hold one finger on the screen to draw your gun and aim, tap another finger to fire, etc. Unfortunately, it played pretty choppily on my old Nexus 7 (2012), and possibly as a result, the gesture controls were not very responsive; like I'd try to sneak behind an enemy and it wouldn't register my "stop moving" tap, or my character would only move a short distance when I'd swipe. It's too bad, the idea behind the game is pretty neat, but it's tough to recommend unless you're playing it on a Shield (I think some of the reviews said it supports the Shield's controls).

Noaloha

For anybody with curious young'uns, the Amazon free app today is Toca Lab which is a really quite nice sandboxy-science game for kids. My 2 year old enjoys it just for the noises and reactivity, though older kids should benefit from the app's more specifically educational and 'gotta catch em all' elements, pun very much intended.

louiedog

SEGA is going to be removing some games from the Play Store and Amazon Appstore soon. They don't specific which titles.

At SEGA we are committed to making fun, high-quality mobile games and it is with our fans’ best playing experience in mind that we announce the removal of a number of games from our back catalogue. It is important for us to ensure that all of our fans, regardless of platform or operating system, have a great playing experience and after evaluating our complete list of titles, we have determined that a number of them no longer meet our standards. As a result, we will be removing these titles from the App Store for Apple devices, the Google Play Store, the Samsung App Store and the Amazon App Store over the next few weeks. While we have nothing to announce at this time, given the right situation, these titles may return in an updated form.

If you have already purchased a game that is being removed from the store you will be able to continue to play it after it’s been taken down. It will remain in your purchased apps where you will be able to download it again if you delete it or acquire a new device until the game becomes incompatible with the latest phone operating systems or hardware.

Thank you to all our customers for sharing what they love about our games and helping us to continue to improve everything we make.

link

yasu151

Humble put up a new build for...

Just wanted to thank ya zero! ive picked up a slew of games, and mostly resulting from this thread and your updates. king of dragon pass, banner saga, stickman golf, catan, wayward souls, monument valley, super monkey ball, frontiers... the list goes on. these are the games i was lookng for, and i saved a bunch in the process. im not too picky wih genre, and almost every sale you post i find a gem or two.

SEGA is going to be removing some games from the Play Store and Amazon Appstore soon. They don't specific which titles.

link

Wow Sega doubling down and going super serious on mobile. I think this Sega Networks thing isn't just another push; it's a major transition and augmentation of the company. I can totally see it. Sega have tried and failed to be the Japanese EA for years and just failed. So they look at mobile and see they're having resounding success and making money and so we have Sonic Team devoted to a Sonic mobile game for the first time in forever.

As for the removal of the games it just sounds like quality control. Like Sega being so serious about this they want every mobile game they create to be super high in quality and respected. Kind of like Nintendo's ethos with DeNA. Only release that which is of the utmost highest quality. Sounds like they're focusing on generating a good mobile gaming reputation. Something tells me Sega are going to be more and more focused on mobile moving forward.

Can't blame them. It's their only source of success and revenue at the moment. Thoughts everyone?

Stimpack

Anyone know of any good co-op type games? Asynchronous stuff works as well. I'd also prefer having some kind of impactful multiplayer elements. None of that "add a friend so they you can use their AI in battle sometimes for a short time" stuff.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Humble put up a new build for The Last Express in the Mobile Bundle, so you might be able to install it now:
https://twitter.com/humblesupport/status/596724749218160641
Thanks. Game is up and running and looks beautiful.

Jordan Mechner has done some amazing work, and I'm pleased I've finally had an opportunity to play this game. With The Last Express, Karateka, the original Prince of Persia, and the amazing Sands of Time game -- indelible experiences I'll never forget.

Edit: Borrowing from the PSN thread, how about top of the page recommendations? Don't mind if I do! I'm currently playing:
- Kingdom Rush: Origins
- The Last Express
- Does Not Commute
- Bejeweled Blitz

Top Bottom