• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The resolution is a deal breaker for me. Come on Android, I wanna see some high fucking res displays.

If it's less than $200, it might be good idk

While it's not a need for me I'll probably get a tablet by the end of the year. I'd like to get a 7" tablet probably.

That being said it's hard after now owning the One X to look at all of the various Android tablets since so many have a lower resolution than my phone. This isn't even counting the fact that the One X screen quality is sooo damn good. I just can't pull the trigger on something cheap just because. At least the Nexus 7 is around the same res and an IPS display.

kehs

Banned
While it's not a need for me I'll probably get a tablet by the end of the year. I'd like to get a 7" tablet probably.

That being said it's hard after now owning the One X to look at all of the various Android tablets since so many have a lower resolution than my phone. This isn't even counting the fact that the One X screen quality is sooo damn good. I just can't pull the trigger on something cheap just because. At least the Nexus 7 is around the same res and an IPS display.

The display isn't that great on the n7. =/

Yes to all of the above. Why is it taking Google so long to pull a BBM/iMessage competitor.

I wonder if Google Now gives a peek as to where the future of Android lies. It is quite beautiful I must say.

they already have four.
and that's the real problem!

they're using the same SoC that was in the US One X and US GS3 in Q2 2012

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Best Galaxy just can't stop:

aanote-1348069675.jpg

Things aren't all Champagne and caviar over at American Airlines, not that you'd know it from the company's latest press release. The Dallas-based air carrier just shared a plan to outfit all of its flight attendants with Samsung Galaxy Notes beginning later this year. The rollout will continue through the middle of 2013, at which point each of the airline's 17,000 cabin crew members will have their very own "tablet," which they'll use to manage flight manifests, track premium passenger meal preferences and monitor weather and gate information in real-time, on WiFi-equipped flights. Eventually, the handsets will also include the flight attendant manual, along with additional features, such as processing for in-flight meal and drink purchases (pending FAA approval).

Though the Galaxy Note II will likely be available by the time the program begins, the press release references a 5.3-inch display, which would imply the previous-gen handset. Sadly, this Note of excitement comes alongside news that some 11,000 American mechanics and ground workers could get a pink slip come November -- as frequent air travelers ourselves, we're genuinely sorry to hear that, and we don't want any gadget to overshadow the airline's ongoing troubles and the unfortunate fate of hardworking employees. You can catch that angle at the coverage link below, then read all about the Note program just after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/19/american-airlines-galaxy-note/

ep85

I was really confused by the picture. I was like, "Why the hell do they have the note on their protest signs? Do they want the note? Why are they so stern looking?"

Then I realized it was a shop. :\

Sup guys? I'm a total phone newb so please take it slow with me.

I'm thinking about getting this phone because its on sale and I like the features:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13053515

I want to use that phone with virgin mobiles $35 a month plan.

I already have a dumbphone through t-mobile but my contract is up.

Can I transfer my number?
How do I go about doing that?
Can Radio Shack activate the phone and transfer my number or do I have to do that myself?
Do I call t-mobile and cancel my plan or will that happen when virgin takes my number?

Any additional info that i should know would be great.

kehs

Banned
I don't buy the LG Nexus rumor, looks like someone was reading the gaf ot last night decided to make something up for android and me to post.

None of the nexus phones have been unveiled in that manner, as in LG announces it, and then LG and Google do it a month later as well.

Even with N7/Meemo Asus/Google gave it that work before showing it off. And that took like 4 months or so.

ivjHZ.gif

Sup guys? I'm a total phone newb so please take it slow with me.

I'm thinking about getting this phone because its on sale and I like the features:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13053515

I want to use that phone with virgin mobiles $35 a month plan.

I already have a dumbphone through t-mobile but my contract is up.

Can I transfer my number?
How do I go about doing that?
Can Radio Shack activate the phone and transfer my number or do I have to do that myself?
Do I call t-mobile and cancel my plan or will that happen when virgin takes my number?

Any additional info that i should know would be great.

yes, you can transfer your number.

call customer service.

dunno if radio shack does it, but they probably do, and they also have some sort of special access to customer service reps or something like that.

no, you don't contact your previous provider, when virgin mobile puts in the number transfer request, they will be notified and cancel and send you a final bill if anything is owed to them.

So HTC just ripped off Nokia for the 8X (Lumia 920) and Sony for the 8S (Acro S) and people are raving about these phones?

They have nothing to set themselves apart from Nokia's superior WP8 offering, does anyone really think that these phones will fix HTC's problems.

Wrong thread, sure, but HTC really need to fix their Android offering or they will continue to get their lunch eaten by Samsung and Sony. WP8 is neither profitable nor popular enough to pin company hopes on, as Nokia have found to their detriment.

tino

Banned

For 7" your only options are N7 and Kindle HD 7". Even Samsung dropped the ball.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why use that mediocre LG phone for the next Nexus? Why not that sweet 1080P, no bezel phone?

kehs

Banned
There was some news recently about Intel Clover Trail not supporting Linux.

Apparently Intel is working on a seperate Clover Trail for Linux/Android. (cue fragmentation joke)

In an e-mail from an Intel spokesperson, Intel said, "Intel has plans for another version of this platform directed at Linux/Android; however we are not commenting on the platform specifics or market segments at this time. Stay tuned.”

Earlier this year Intel had released a new low-power Atom processor, the Medfield, primarily for Android. These one-core chips are now being used in engineering samples running Android 4.1, Jelly Bean, and the just announced Motorola RAZRi.

The “problem” with Clover Trail for Android and Linux was that it had two cores. Intel has long been concerned with Android's power and heating requirements for multi-core Atom CPUs for mobile platforms. There was never any difficulty with running Android or Linux on Clover Trail. The trouble was getting it to work efficiently with Clover Trail's power management.

Little bit of ether at the end:

In short, “Clover Trail's target is a future Windows 8 Tablet. ... If you expect the Windows tablet to do as well as the Windows 8 smartphones recently released by Nokia and others, you probably aren't far from wrong. Clover Trail, built with partner Microsoft, might be Intel's biggest loser since Itanium, built with partner HP.”

http://www.zdnet.com/intels-new-clover-trail-chip-will-support-android-and-linux-7000004451/

lol at LG and their vague Q4 release date. Endlessly amusing. Everyone is the carrier's bitch except Apple and Samsung. Also lol at the HTC event. Why would anyone get that over the lumia. Perplexing stuff.

kehs

Banned
So much for the LG G Nexus rumor.

I still get a good laugh out of Verizon saying "we got something better coming" when they skipped on the GS 2, and then totally gimped the Nexus.

LG is doing it right.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-opt...gers-and-telus

Are you watching this HTC?
HTC is TERRRRIBLE when it comes to carriers. I give props to LG. I almost want to support them for it, lol. I just don't like the super shiny finish on the back and the square-ishness of the phone. That and it's LG, but who the heck is gonna keep that skin on anyway.

So much for the LG G Nexus rumor.

I still get a good laugh out of Verizon saying "we got something better coming" when they skipped on the GS 2, and then totally gimped the Nexus.
I still think they'll come later in the year, probably too late though.

zedge

HTC is TERRRRIBLE when it comes to carriers. I give props to LG. I almost want to support them for it, lol. I just don't like the super shiny finish on the back and the square-ishness of the phone. That and it's LG, but who the heck is gonna keep that skin on anyway.

Not a fan of the phone either, to blocky looking.

Not a fan of the phone either, to blocky looking.
a few of the hands on say it isn't too boxy and is comfortable to hold. Honestly if there is a way to put stock android on it, it would definitely be the ultimate android device spec wise, if that even matters.

Shiny finish on the back is more annoying than anything else. Reviews will say enough, guess it's in my wait and see pile, assuming the early november word for canada is legit.

my predicition is that LG pulls ahead of HTC in Android mindshare...

give it 2-3 years

although it could really be a totally different landscape by then if Google actually uses Motorola like they should

JordanKZ

A refreshed super powered Galaxy Nexus is something I would pay a lot of money for... :O

Guys...um..how do you turn off gps on 4.1?

I don't see a switch anywhere.

Yes, I'm serious.

Either add a power control to your home screen or turn off all of your location aware stuff.

kehs

Banned
Looks like Google is started to change touchscreen interactions.

Maps zoom is now, double tap, and slide to zoom in/out. (pinch is still in place though)

Thanks Apple.

jey_16

Banned
Fuck.....I was expecting to see the one x+ today, I don't know if I can wait.....so tempted to just get the regular one x. #firstworldproblems

I bet it still comes. In fact I bet everything still comes, just not as early as people hope. I bet the one x+ happens, I bet Sony releases an xperia nexus, lg releases an optimus nexus, samsung updates the galaxy nexus, and so on.

It's just going to happen so late the next generation of phones will already be out. I also bet there wiill be a new version of android at the all things d conference thing that's coming up.

OPTIMISM.

Blackhead

Redarse
TheVerge talked to "the men designing Sony's mobile future" and all they wanted to show off was the Xperia SX in spite of (or because?) it's only released for 'East Asia'.

hmm... I love for the SX to be the Xperia Nexus in the West. Google really should have a replacement for the Nexus S in the works imo and the SX would be perfect. 3.7" retina screen and yet still packs LTE

kehs

Banned
Anybody think if a Razr fell from 7 story drop, the only thing that needs replacing is the visible broken screen?

Dibbz

Guys I got a question about some app called trebuchet. I just installed a jellybean ROM and this came with it. I'm a bit worried about it though since in the permissions it says the app can make calls and check accounts on the phone. A quick Google says the app is a launcher but is this normal for a launcher to require all of this?

kehs

Banned
Guys I got a question about some app called trebuchet. I just installed a jellybean ROM and this came with it. I'm a bit worried about it though since in the permissions it says the app can make calls and check accounts on the phone. A quick Google says the app is a launcher but is this normal for a launcher to require all of this?

Trebuchet is the name cyanogenmod gave to their own launcher. Assuming you're using a CM or CM derivative launcher you should be good.

Trebuchet means launcher in french.

Yes, a launcher needs all those permissions because you can set shortcuts to direct calls/messages/etc.

Dayum I just downloaded this ballin alarm app called Alarm Clock Plus. It's so customizable. I can make a playlist of songs to wake up to in the morning, set how I want my clock to look, add shortcuts to the clock app, makes it so when I plug in the phone to a dock, it'll start up the clock app immediately among other things.

Was only a dollar. There is a free version with ads though. Hate ads.

3phemeral

Anyone else having sign-in error messages asking you to connect to Google services but that there's a problem? Started popping up on my GNex a few hours ago.

tirminyl

Anyone else having sign-in error messages asking you to connect to Google services but that there's a problem? Started popping up on my GNex a few hours ago.

Good thing I checked this thread. At first I thought someone tried to hack my account. I can't signin on my GNex or N7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom