• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Can't stand samsung build quality.

My girlfriend bought an S3 and while not great, I found the regular back to be okay. We went shopping at P-mall for back covers and the samsung colour ones are such garbage. It's like they cut them out of the cheap ass plastic tupperware knockoffs you get at the dollar store. She did end up with a nice paper mache case from Etsy though.

tino

Banned
WP8 phones have gotten me all jelly for coloured phones. If we're actually getting 5 different nexuses I hope one of them has the balls to release one in something other than black/grey/white.

HTC tried colored phone though. The Rythm. When your target market is tiny you can afford to go crazy on the deaign. Not trying to excuse the boring Android phone designs.

I like Samsung's approach. You can put in an after market back very easily.

buhdeh

My girlfriend bought an S3 and while not great, I found the regular back to be okay. We went shopping at P-mall for back covers and the samsung colour ones are such garbage. It's like they cut them out of the cheap ass plastic tupperware knockoffs you get at the dollar store. She did end up with a nice paper mache case from Etsy though.

pics/link? the back of the s3 is slippery as hell. so poorly thought out. the galaxy nexus feels better and looks way better designed.

Divvy

I like Samsung's approach. You can put in an after market back very easily.

In theory. I have yet to see one that isn't bad. Actually the pebble blue and white flip covers are nice. It's the other colours that are awful for some reason.

tino

Banned
In theory. I have yet to see one that isn't bad. Actually the pebble blue and white flip covers are nice. It's the other colours that are awful for some reason.

There are many nice ones for Note. You can even get a metal case.

Divvy

pics/link? the back of the s3 is slippery as hell. so poorly thought out. the galaxy nexus feels better and looks way better designed.

These:

iGqQ1FTFKP0AM.png

iboMKAcFykTANo.png

Pictures don't really show off how genuinely terrible they are. It's something you have to feel in the hand.

There are many nice ones for Note. You can even get a metal case.

Ah, well I haven't used a Note or looked for their covers, so that certainly is possible. Was really disappointed with the S3 selection.

kehs

Banned
i don't wait for OTA prompts

HbrCy.png

Dude, if you swipe down from the top of the screen you can see more info and even dismiss some of those icons.

(They're called notifications, and it's called the notification tray)

---

Looks like it was the GPS totally raping the battery on my NS. Google Now becomes a little less accurate now I suppoed. Oh well. At least I wont have this thing plugging in all day err day.

Faceless, did you take that pic while sitting in a Faraday cage?

no, that's just how it is where i'm at. verizon is a little better, at&t and t-mobile are a lot worse.

Dude, if you swipe down from the top of the screen you can see more info and even dismiss some of those icons.

(They're called notifications, and it's called the notification tray)

i took that screen with the notifications there on purpose.

Divvy

Can't tell if he was just joking, but Josh on the Verge is hinting of a Nexus event in October.

EDIT: I don't think he was joking. It's my birthday in October too!

kehs

Banned
I'm super excited about the new Motorola (in case anyone can't tell), Punit Soni has been assuring people with Bionics will be made whole :

We have a plan for Bionic. I am currently solidifying things to ensure we can publish it, commit and follow up. I think you guys have gotten a raw deal and we could do way better. But you are one of the top few things I worry about when I look at Upgrades.

Again..I totally understand how you feel. And this should never happen. I am not going to throw out the argument “we just got here”. We are taking responsibility for this. And we will engage with you, listen carefully to your concerns and most importantly, try to FIX things.
So we are doing that. My team knows to take your complaints seriously, we are working hard to update the Upgrades timeline pages to reflect the right data, and then we WILL stand next to those timings and will meet them. As far as what is in our control, we will be transparent and we will commit to your happiness.

Keep the feedback coming.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PunitSoni/posts/4X7Eiq1kQC1

Not sure how factual this poster is, but it seems Moto/Google and Verizon are playing chicken with updates and Razrs. A cockfight if you will.

Over the Bionic.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/223559-6-7-244-leaked-124.html#post2274654

the funniest thing about that thread is seeing the one dude excited that the thread may hit 200 pages!!!!!!! ... at 10 posts per page.

NOT IMPRESSED

but i AM impressed with Jellybean and the CM10 changes

Just flashed paranoid onto to my one x....love it...so smooth. Dual pane gmail is pretty sweet too.

Shares the cm10 framework pretty closely and uses trebuchet as the stock launcher.also has the quick SMS reply from the drop down menu.

Patriots7

My new favorite feature from Jelly Bean..being able to swipe down during a call and access notifications. Thank you Google overlords.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Anyone have a bluetooth audio device for their car to play music through car speakers? I'm looking at 2 devices and just wondering if anyone has used them and which one is better.

Flexsmart X2

or

Belkin Aircast Auto

I have the Flexsmart X2. It works well. A tad quiet in my car. I have only used it for podcasts though, so audio quality isn't super important. I wouldn't have really noticed if it were bad.

It auto pairs with your phone once it is set up though, so that is nice. The Belkin you need to press the button every time to pair it.

I have the Flexsmart X2. It works well. A tad quiet in my car. I have only used it for podcasts though, so audio quality isn't super important. I wouldn't have really noticed if it were bad.

It auto pairs with your phone once it is set up though, so that is nice. The Belkin you need to press the button every time to pair it.

I don't like the FM transmitter. Have you used the AUX?

kehs

Banned
I'll totally give you a five star rating couple with a viral thread if you let me make threads again. free rozay.

I don't follow ufc at all, but a couple of comments on the layout:

- the top two icons on the top left don't do anything. On android if anything if up on the top row, they typically have actions associated with them

- If you combine the top row with the second row, it's make much more sense since it's a heirachy.

- It's very smooth on my tablet. (n7)

- I'm still a junior that's like...negative three stars.

Divvy

I made this avatar for solidarity.

rozay.png

I'd use it, but well, you know, conflict of interest and whatnot

Is there going to be a new Nexus device this holiday season? I'm spoiled for choice already but I never had a Nexus device and pure Android would be amazing.

Divvy

Is there going to be a new Nexus device this holiday season? I'm spoiled for choice already but I never had a Nexus device and pure Android would be amazing.

Well like I said earlier, The Verge hinted that there will be a nexus event in october.

Doopliss

Shipped my first Android app last week (cross posted this with the MMA and other phone threads). I'd appreciate any feedback you have, even if you're not big into UFC.
It looks very Gingerbread-era, mainly due to those three buttons/tabs. It also seems a bit messy with the two UFC logos at the top, especially when one of them shifts around when the sharing icon appears. Assuming that appears when you make a pick for a particular fight, it should probably be placed in the content rather than on the action bar.

This is just judging by the screen captures. I'm not going to download the app.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
My upgrade isn't until April.

Android-GAF I am summoning your mythical powers to read into the future and tell me what phone I'll be getting.

Seriously anybody have any links to some Spring 2013 releases for me to start getting excited about? The S3 will be nearly a year old at that point (it's my phone of choice right now). Currently I'm using a Nexus S 4g the JB update has turned it into a pretty decent phone.

Only problems are now wireless signal strength. I have a nice Dlink DIR-655 router that ever other decvice can manage to stay connected to all throughout my house. My phone drops connection if I go into a different room most of the time. Good Wireless connectivity is something that is very important to me since Sprint service blows where I'm at.

What to I have to look forward to android fortune tellers?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Rumor was Samsung was shooting for March for the Galaxy S4. So that unless you get whatever the new nexus device is.

Futureman

S3 has only been out for 3.5 months or so. March for the S4? Really? (I guess that'd almost be a year after the S3 unveil in late May 2012... still seems early).

Divvy where'd you see Josh hint at a Nexus event? I catch most of the articles on the Verge, but never listen to podcasts or videos or anything.

Shipped my first Android app last week (cross posted this with the MMA and other phone threads). I'd appreciate any feedback you have, even if you're not big into UFC.
I'm into UFC. I like apps. I like free things. I will try this.

edit: I don't mind the 3 buttons on the top like someone mentioned above, I don't think it looks THAT oldschoool. Maybe it would be nicer if you could also slide the portrait of the fighters left or right to get to the next fight rather than hit next/previous fight on the bottom. Or have the ability to do both.

Overall it's not bad at all. A little simplistic in the information given but I guess it's all pertinent stuff, what else do you need.

It definitely looks a little weird on my Nexus 7 because there's just so much space. Like the information is all in the upper half so there is just this empty space below it where the next/previous fight buttons are and the menu.

Obviously my impressions are only based on the first screen where you pick a fight and the screen where the info is. Not on the second 2 tabs at the top. I haven't paid for Live in forever so I can't say how the rest is because it says I need live gold.

Divvy is probably referring to the Vergecast which was yesterday I believe.

But what did he say exactly? I wasn't home to listen to it.

daoster

Can't tell if he was just joking, but Josh on the Verge is hinting of a Nexus event in October.

EDIT: I don't think he was joking. It's my birthday in October too!

Have we even heard any rumors or hints of Keylime Pie? Because I think if we don't hear any rumors of KLP, we won't see another Nexus.

And I remember seeing Google teasing us about Jellybean before it was officially announced (with a jar of Jellybean at some Google event), nothing so far with KLP.

this_guy

My upgrade isn't until April.

Android-GAF I am summoning your mythical powers to read into the future and tell me what phone I'll be getting.

Seriously anybody have any links to some Spring 2013 releases for me to start getting excited about? The S3 will be nearly a year old at that point (it's my phone of choice right now). Currently I'm using a Nexus S 4g the JB update has turned it into a pretty decent phone.

Only problems are now wireless signal strength. I have a nice Dlink DIR-655 router that ever other decvice can manage to stay connected to all throughout my house. My phone drops connection if I go into a different room most of the time. Good Wireless connectivity is something that is very important to me since Sprint service blows where I'm at.

What to I have to look forward to android fortune tellers?

News about the new Galaxy and HTC's flagship should start to become available around that time, and maybe a release date around June or so.

My HTC One X, any idea how good or bad this is? I know my battery life isn't great. I have the brightness set to automatic and mine is the Quad Core Tegra 3 International version, just to be clear.

8012471308_c74a8c4444_c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom