• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is the issue. Right now my choices on Bell are the Galaxy S3 (eww, no offense to S3 owners), One S, random motrola garbage and the galaxy nexus. Of course I only want an LTE phone so that limits it to the S3 and a few other garbage ass phones.

So basically my upgrade is November 1st. I will not wait later. I'm a nerd so I'm fine switching to android for a year and then iOS next year (yearly upgrades ftw) considering I just used the 4S for a year. BUT if the there is no good android phone available I won't hesitate to just say fuck it and go iphone again.

If HTC puts an upgraded one X on Bell, then I promise I will get that phone. Pics will even be presented as proof so we all rejoice. But if not that, and nothing else comes that is worthwhile, then iphone it is.

The equivalent to Tmobile in canada is Wind/Mobilicity, and yeah they get mostly garbage, so I feel your pain. I used to be with Wind.

I'd say Canadians have it easier, since the major networks use the same 850/1900 GSM/HSPA and 700/1700 LTE bands. You can take unlocked devices to any network you want basically

Also, those of us on ATT in the states thank you so so much for having devices that aren't branded and are easy to import :p
word up. So glad our devices are not branded. Fuck that shit.

edit: why did I just quote myself. Will keep for new page anyway :p

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I can never figure out canadia's mobile networks.

More confusing than bagged milk.

So the bell network is GSM or CDMA? If they all support the same GSM is must really suck to get screwed out of devices cause of business dealings. =/

I know the feel about the shitty phones on networks though, tmo never gets anything interesting. Why I'm always buying unlocked all the time.

We have three major players, Bell, Rogers, and Telus. They all run CDMA, but they're also the three biggest asshole companies in the country. You think Verizon and AT&T are bad? These guys are way worse. They do get different phones due to marketting and stupid business crap.

Then we have the prepaid carriers Wind, mobilicity, public mobile, etc... They run GSM networks on the same bands as T-mobile. I wouldn't say they get crap choices, since they have the Galaxy Nexus and galaxy S3, but there's no iPhone or Lumia 800/900 on there. They're plans are way cheaper, but their service isn't quite as good and they don't have LTE yet.

I'm on Wind since I get everything I want for 40 a month (I could get it lower, but I've been kind of lazy) and I pretty much hate giving any money to the big three.

We have three major players, Bell, Rogers, and Telus. They all run CDMA, but they're also the three biggest asshole companies in the country. You think Verizon and AT&T are bad? These guys are way worse. They do get different phones due to marketting and stupid business crap.

Then we have the prepaid carriers Wind, mobilicity, public mobile, etc... They run GSM networks on the same bands as T-mobile. I wouldn't say they get crap choices, since they have the Galaxy Nexus and galaxy S3, but there's no iPhone or Lumia 800/900 on there. They're plans are way cheaper, but their service isn't quite as good and they don't have LTE yet.

I'm on Wind since I get everything I want for 40 a month (I could get it lower, but I've been kind of lazy) and I pretty much hate giving any money to the big three.
rogers bell and telus all run GSM as well brah! Wind/Mobilicity run AWS.

NONE THE LESS. HTC needs to get all their phones on all carriers. I dislike the build quality of samsung phones so much I stay away from them like the plague these days. So, I'll continue hoping for a one X+ for all carriers, or at least the ones that didn't get the One X. If not then iphone 5 I go.

Don't think I want that optimus G either. It's LG.

kehs

Banned
there is the issue. Right now my choices on Bell are the Galaxy S3 (eww, no offense to S3 owners), One S, random motrola garbage and the galaxy nexus. Of course I only want an LTE phone so that limits it to the S3 and a few other garbage ass phones.

So basically my upgrade is November 1st. I will not wait later. I'm a nerd so I'm fine switching to android for a year and then iOS next year (yearly upgrades ftw) considering I just used the 4S for a year. BUT if the there is no good android phone available I won't hesitate to just say fuck it and go iphone again.

If HTC puts an upgraded one X on Bell, then I promise I will get that phone. Pics will even be presented as proof so we all rejoice. But if not that, and nothing else comes that is worthwhile, then iphone it is.

The equivalent to Tmobile in canada is Wind/Mobilicity, and yeah they get mostly garbage, so I feel your pain. I used to be with Wind.

Get nexus dude. One of us.

Have you considered using the upgrade for the iPhone selling it and then buying whatever unlocked?

Get nexus dude. One of us.

Have you considered using the upgrade for the iPhone selling it and then buying whatever unlocked?
no new nexus phone news either...the fuck with that? Also I don't want the galaxy nexus, it's too old for me. Forrealz though if there was a new nexus phone by november 1st it'd be a no brainer.

And yeah I considered that. but it's a lot of work. If there is something worthwhile coming SOON after my november 1st upgrade date, then I MIGHT do that. But if there isn't something worthwhile for another month or 2, then I'm not gonna bother waiting.

Deez android manufacturers need to take the carriers by the balls.

or at least try

edit: what's the word on nexus phones anyway?
bell has speeds of up to 150mbs, Rogers is 100 max I believe, obviously both theoretical but higher theoretical = higher real world.

kehs

Banned
I wouldn't get your hopes up on a new nexus. I can't fathom them launching another major update for android, they don't need to and it'll just make things more lolworthy for them on the PR front. Maybe a nexus s style update, but thatll just be a small bump in hardware.

I jumped on the unlocked train mainly cause I got an awesome buy one get one free deal with tmo for 99 bucks and flipped them my n1.

Don't see much exciting new this year for android other than padfone 2, might just end with a lumia this holiday myself.

--------

As an aside, I'm finding the recent app list less and less use full.

Between the pseudo multitasking notification bar for things like music control and quick actions in JB and lmt gestures that allow multi app access I rarely use the recent apps function.

http://db.tt/Y7UdY4sk

I might just be because I tend to use five or so major apps though. I also have only one homescree filled, calendar/TV list widget and a bunch of app shortcuts.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on a new nexus. I can't fathom them launching another major update for android, they don't need to and it'll just make things more lolworthy for them on the PR front. Maybe a nexus s style update, but thatll just be a small bump in hardware.

I jumped on the unlocked train mainly cause I got an awesome buy one get one free deal with tmo for 99 bucks and flipped them my n1.

Don't see much exciting new this year for android other than padfone 2, might just end with a lumia this holiday myself.
windows phone? How dare you.

I liked the multiple nexus phone rumour, what happened to that :( Also there are rumours of an updated galaxy nexus but who the hell wants that. I'm fine with getting a one x and installing stock on it myself even though I'm severely anti-rooting for something that should be easier to do from the get go. Android phones man...what a hassle.

kehs

Banned
I think the multi nexus rumors stemmed from them sending out the beta PDK to manufactures.

If anything, I think Motorola will have a killer nexus syle device for the holidays.

True Windows Phone has finally arrived =P

cube444

Thanks for the LTE info on Bell versus Rogers there Pyromaniac.

Why don't you go month to month with your current phone and get one that you really want even if it's 3-4 months away?

Thanks for the LTE info on Bell versus Rogers there Pyromaniac.

Why don't you go month to month with your current phone and get one that you really want even if it's 3-4 months away?
No problem, and my contract isn't over, I'm just eligible for upgrade once a year on my plan (on november 1st). So yeah I want to get that upgrade on that date so it doesn't move further down, as in if I update december instead of november, then next year I won't be able to upgrade until december!

So basically my options are go iphone 5, which I have no real problems with, get whatever the best android phone is that isn't the S3, that's not looking at all so far, or get the iphone 5, continue using my 4S, sell the 5, get the phone I want sometime in the future with the money I got for selling my 5. But that means I'll have to use my 4S longer (I want new shiny things asap!).

cube444

No problem, and my contract isn't over, I'm just eligible for upgrade once a year on my plan (on november 1st). So yeah I want to get that upgrade on that date so it doesn't move further down, as in if I update december instead of november, then next year I won't be able to upgrade until december!

So basically my options are go iphone 5, which I have no real problems with, get whatever the best android phone is that isn't the S3, that's not looking at all so far, or get the iphone 5, continue using my 4S, sell the 5, get the phone I want sometime in the future with the money I got for selling my 5. But that means I'll have to use my 4S longer (I want new shiny things asap!).

Might as well go with the iPhone 5 then.

Oops, what a typo... it remains.

What if its a nexus padfone? Your noggin is churning now..eh? Eh?
image.php

I'll take any nexus phone, BUT DEY DON'T WANT MY BUSINESS.

tino

Banned
You guys don't believe the 5 Nexus rumor? I buy it. Usually rumor that come out so early and so weird is real. Has google change their mind since then, we don't know.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It is surprising that we've no Nexus news yet and we're almost into October. More importantly, where are my KLP rumors? The software is far more important.

kehs

Banned
It is surprising that we've no Nexus news yet and we're almost into October. More importantly, where are my KLP rumors? The software is far more important.

Other than optimization, I can't think of anything that needs immediate attention. At least not anything that needs an OS update to fix.

The messaging convergence can be fixed through app updates.

I see a need for some things in the tablet/computer/tv space that would require changes in the OS, but a Nexus device wouldn't be needed for it since enough device types exist already.

I want to see a new nexus, but for different reasons than most I want to see experimental things.

Other than optimization, I can't think of anything that needs immediate attention. At least not anything that needs an OS update to fix.

The messaging convergence can be fixed through app updates.

I see a need for some things in the tablet/computer/tv space that would require changes in the OS, but a Nexus device wouldn't be needed for it since enough device types exist already.

I want to see a new nexus, but for different reasons than most I want to see experimental things.

i say they just wait until MWC and announce a GS4 killer...

maybe they waited so that they could make sure to best the iphone?

last rumor about the nexus i remember seeing was that

htc
lg
sony

were all on tap for one..oh and then the gnex2 iterative update
hopefully they use that not quite rgb stripe amoled panel. it's halfway in between pentile and true stripe

kehs

Banned
Pyro...HTC and Nexus was just a one time fling, their love just wasn't meant to be.

HTC doesn't really like the idea is contributing code for AOSP. Neither does Qualcomm. Kinda sucks cause I've always liked HTC. RIP SHADOW.

Pyro...HTC and Nexus was just a one time fling, their love just wasn't meant to be.

HTC doesn't really like the idea is contributing code for AOSP. Neither does Qualcomm. Kinda sucks cause I've always liked HTC. RIP SHADOW.
But sony apparently contributes a lot. So there's hope for something :(

All these companies suck. Google should just take full control of Motorola and build exactly what they want with stock android and tell everyone else to fuck off if they can't handle it.

Zeppu

Pocket's latest update added TTS and it works really well actually (well, it uses Google's TTS engine, so, yeah). The notification that pops up while it's reading to you is BEGGING for a JB-style overhaul though. It should be expandable with controls on it.

kinggroin

Banned

--------

As an aside, I'm finding the recent app list less and less use full.

Between the pseudo multitasking notification bar for things like music control and quick actions in JB and lmt gestures that allow multi app access I rarely use the recent apps function.

http://db.tt/Y7UdY4sk

I might just be because I tend to use five or so major apps though. I also have only one homescree filled, calendar/TV list widget and a bunch of app shortcuts.

@ bolded, I finally got some hands on with it. Its bigger than I thought it would be. Its crazy smooth, has a gorgeous display, and stands out (in a good way). Definitely legit.

If you go this route, give us the ups and downs from making such a transition.

Hey what do you know, nexus rumour:

We’ve reached the wee night hours here at Phandroid, and what better time than right now to fill you guys in on some juicy Android rumors before you hit the sack. Turns out our friends at Android and Me have been hearing rumblings from a few inside sources that the next Google Nexus device could be the spec’d out beast re-announced just last night — the LG Optimus G. Just imagine it: the LG Optimus Nexus with a quad-core Qualcomm S4 processor, industry leading 720p True HD IPS Plus display, 2GB of multitasking RAM, 32GB of spacious internal storage, 13MP camera, NFC, LTE, and if this rumor comes to pass — stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. You hear that? That’s the sound of Android fanboys around the world collectively wetting themselves (don’t worry, me too).

Admittedly, there isn’t much info to go on and this is nothing more than a good old fashioned industry rumor. But let’s not forget a leak not too long ago possibly revealing Samsung, LG and Sony’s intentions on releasing their own Nexus devices due out by this Thanksgiving. Just take one more look at the above image and tell me that doesn’t bring a tear to your eye?

http://phandroid.com/2012/09/19/lg-optimus-nexus-rumors-are-what-android-dreams-are-made-of/

I guess we might find out if this is true today, since it's the LG event. But who knows they might reveal at a separate event that they'll release a nexus version of the phone in the future. Wouldn't make sense not to announce that now though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
This also lines up with the rumor I read about Sony, LG, and Samsung having their own Nexus devices...might see on after all this year.

This also lines up with the rumor I read about Sony, LG, and Samsung having their own Nexus devices...might see on after all this year.
indeed. And we already know samsung will probably release an updated galaxy nexus. I guess we'll see if the puzzle pieces fall into place.

Hey what do you know, nexus rumour:

http://phandroid.com/2012/09/19/lg-optimus-nexus-rumors-are-what-android-dreams-are-made-of/

I guess we might find out if this is true today, since it's the LG event. But who knows they might reveal at a separate event that they'll release a nexus version of the phone in the future. Wouldn't make sense not to announce that now though.

well, with Samsung seemingly having just a turbo version of last year's Nexus and Sony routinely having underpowered phones, it looks like LG will have BEST NEXUS 2012.

not that i care about BEST NEXUS, i care about BEST CM

SimleuqiR

I have to agree. What I want to see is BIG updates to some of their core apps on mobile. I mean, can we get some updates for:

• Google Voice - Speed improvements. Can I set custom text ringtones for each contact?
  • Gtalk/Messenger (unification)
  • Google Now (more cards, more creeping me out).
  • Gmail - Sprinkled Sparrow all over it.
I'm sure there are more apps that I'm missing.

Also Duarte says: I'm 'a third of the way to where I want to be' with Android. I like this. Post JellyBean Android versions will be something beautiful/functional.

Kiraly

The Xperia T was announced end of august, and will hit stores in 1,5 weeks.

+ it outbenches most phones currently on the market, bar the new iPhone and LG's mental Optimus G.

Sony's games has been very shit in the past, but they are on fire lately.

Aw yeah, Galaxy Note dated for mid-November:

Samsung Mobile Introducing Galaxy Note® II in Time for the Holidays with AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless and U.S. Cellular

Redesigned S Pen and apps, sharing capabilities and quad-core Exynos™ processor enhances productivity, creativity and performance

DALLAS - September 19, 2012 - Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC (Samsung Mobile) – the No.1 mobile phone provider in the United States1 – will launch the Galaxy Note® II in the U.S. with five major carriers by mid-November. Exact pricing and retail availability will be announced by each of the carriers.

Optimized for the fastest 4G LTE* and HSPA+ 42 networks, the Galaxy Note II combines some of the best capabilities of the Galaxy S® III with an enhanced S Pen and new S Pen apps, the processing power to multitask like a PC, with a larger screen yet in a thinner, lighter form factor. The Galaxy Note II enables consumers that want a larger format device to create, collaborate and now share original content faster and easier than before.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/19/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-us-launch/

The Xperia T was announced end of august, and will hit stores in 1,5 weeks.

+ it outbenches most phones currently on the market, bar the new iPhone and LG's mental Optimus G.

Sony's games has been very shit in the past, but they are on fire lately.

Like anything android related....will believe it when I see it :p

Patriots7

I have to agree. What I want to see is BIG updates to some of their core apps on mobile. I mean, can we get some updates for:

• Google Voice - Speed improvements. Can I set custom text ringtones for each contact?
  • Gtalk/Messenger (unification)
  • Google Now (more cards, more creeping me out).
  • Gmail - Sprinkled Sparrow all over it.
I'm sure there are more apps that I'm missing.

Also Duarte says: I'm 'a third of the way to where I want to be' with Android. I like this. Post JellyBean Android versions will be something beautiful/functional.
Yes to all of the above. Why is it taking Google so long to pull a BBM/iMessage competitor.

I wonder if Google Now gives a peek as to where the future of Android lies. It is quite beautiful I must say.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Google Now cards I think are really really good. All the voice stuff is nice and all, and asking questions is great... but the few cards I have are amazing.

I love the card that tells me the times for nearby bus stops... it's so smart and intuitive for me I can't get enough. The 'how far you're from home' is pretty useful too, and the creepiest and most awesome card is the one that will tell me the directions to nearby (in city) places I look up on Google maps on my computer. So goddamn useful for my constantly-getting-lost ass.

I really hope that they open up the SDK for these cards, and we can get a new 'type' of app going.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Google Now cards I think are really really good. All the voice stuff is nice and all, and asking questions is great... but the few cards I have are amazing.

I love the card that tells me the times for nearby bus stops... it's so smart and intuitive for me I can't get enough. The 'how far you're from home' is pretty useful too, and the creepiest and most awesome card is the one that will tell me the directions to nearby (in city) places I look up on Google maps on my computer. So goddamn useful for my constantly-getting-lost ass.

I really hope that they open up the SDK for these cards, and we can get a new 'type' of app going.

It really is pretty excellent. I just loaded it up and it recommended that I stop by a local strip club. =\

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
It really is pretty excellent. I just loaded it up and it recommended that I stop by a local strip club. =\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Now

Google Now is implemented as an aspect of the Google Search application on Android 4.1. It recognizes repeated actions that a user performs on the device (including common locations, repeated calendar appointments, search queries, etc.) to display more relevant information to the user in the form of 'cards'.

No judgement bro.

kinggroin

Banned
It only took mine a couple weeks before I started getting traffic conditions and directions to my favorite Chinese restaurant.

Its the little things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom