• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
ok so what are we doing for L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z.

L: Licorice
M: Mousse
N: Nougat
O: Orange Sherbert
P: Pudding
Q: Quiche
R: Rhubarb Pie
S: Shortcake
T: Tiramisu
U: Upside down cake
V: Vanilla bean
W: Waffle
X: ??
Y: Yellow Cake
Z: Zucchini Bread

bearbomb

Neo Member
Help me out here. Shitty galaxy S vibrant here. Stuck on sasktel (canadian provider) for another year, but I can get an upgrade right now.

Do I buy a note 2, or try to grab one of the nexus 4's that just came back into stock for canadians?

note 2 would be 200 bucks but signing a new contract, where as nexus is about $410 after shipping or something?

halp plz!

Help me out here. Shitty galaxy S vibrant here. Stuck on sasktel (canadian provider) for another year, but I can get an upgrade right now.

Do I buy a note 2, or try to grab one of the nexus 4's that just came back into stock for canadians?

note 2 would be 200 bucks but signing a new contract, where as nexus is about $410 after shipping or something?

halp plz!

What plan are you on?

The Note 2 is around $600 unlocked now and that is what you should compare with. If on contract, all phones essentially cost the same $800-$1000 over 2 years. (Except for the Nexus 4).

bearbomb

Neo Member
What plan are you on?

The Note 2 is around $600 unlocked now and that is what you should compare with. If on contract, all phones essentially cost the same $800-$1000 over 2 years. (Except for the Nexus 4).

the way mine works is they take the discount from retail and subtract a little bit from it each month. So if I want a new phone, I pay the remainder of the discount and buy a new phone.

But currently I don't have to pay anything (except the 200 dollars to get the note 2)

and I wouldn't pay any less monthly bill wise if I were to get something unlocked, my friend who works for them confirmed that.

my plan would be to buy a phone to use until something else I want comes along (gs4?)
then sell the note 2 and that would cover my upgrade fee or whatever.

p.s. I think nexus 4 just sold out again haha

tino

Banned
the way mine works is they take the discount from retail and subtract a little bit from it each month. So if I want a new phone, I pay the remainder of the discount and buy a new phone.

But currently I don't have to pay anything (except the 200 dollars to get the note 2)

and I wouldn't pay any less monthly bill wise if I were to get something unlocked, my friend who works for them confirmed that.

my plan would be to buy a phone to use until something else I want comes along (gs4?)
then sell the note 2 and that would cover my upgrade fee or whatever.

p.s. I think nexus 4 just sold out again haha

I would get the N4. The reason is the Note 2 has not hit the price drop curve yet. The N2 will drop 100-150 in half a year. The N4 won't drop more than 50.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Get the note 2, sell it, buy N4.

As always, HTC will try to steal Samsung's thunder by releasing their new phone 2 months before hand.
indeed. I expect early 2013 to be packed. HTC will jump the gun, Sony will attempt to release a competitive phone on time with the Odin/Yuga and Samsung will probably release the galaxy S4 a month or 2 earlier than last year.

That's my guessssssesssss. Of course this will all be preceded by leaks galore. 2013 should be interesting.

tino

Banned
Sony will try to release a S4 (non pro) phone without any US carrier. They will sell it on sonystyles.com.

Acer will announce something nobody will buy.

LG will announce the new "8X" phone that look exactly like the Galaxy S3.

HTC will announce the new 5" One XYZ with no sd slot and non removable battery, with a bunch fancy non-google "cloud" service option. Amazon music, limited Office 365, Playstation Network, HP cloud printing you name it they all have it.

Samsung will announce the Galaxy S 4 in a separated event after CES. It's going have a 4.99" 1080p (pentile) screen, A15 dualcore and alot of non standard touchwiz gestures.

Moto won't announce anything substantial in CES and people wonder why did google bother with Moto in the first place.

Huawei will up market their P1 and D1 product lines to compete with Samsung S and Note directly.

Thats my prediction for the next 2 months.

Sony will try to release a S4 (non pro) phone without any US carrier. They will sell it on sonystyles.com.

Acer will announce something nobody will buy.

LG will announce the new "8X" phone that look exactly like the Galaxy S3.

HTC will announce the new 5" One XYZ with no sd slot and non removable battery, with a bunch fancy non-google "cloud" service option. Amazon music, limited Office 365, Playstation Network, HP cloud printing you name it they all have it.

Samsung will announce the Galaxy S 4 in a separated event after CES. It's going have a 4.99" 1080p (pentile) screen, A15 dualcore and alot of non standard touchwiz gestures.

Moto won't announce anything substantial in CES and people wonder why did google bother with Moto in the first place.

Huawei will up market their P1 and D1 product lines to compete with Samsung S and Note directly.

Thats my prediction for the next 2 months.

personally, i can't wait for the Padfone HD LTE announcement

personally, i can't wait for the Padfone HD LTE announcement

not gonna happen.

htc might have a chance if they learn to release the same damn phone to all carriers (if they are really trying to create a flagship...

i mean is that kind of cohesive effort even possible from HTC? sure hope so, for the sake of their bottom line.

edit: 6 inch phones aren't gonna happen either, unless it's a galaxy note 3 or 4.

brontosaurus principle states that bigger is better, to a point. 5 inches is as big as the flagships can go without creating a riot throughout the android world.

Cipherr

One X wasnt a bad device IMO. It just had so many stupid software issues. Its like they get half right, then shoot themselves in the foot with bullshit like gimping multitasking for no damn reason. Its just so weird. They toned down Sense alot though with Sense 4. If they follow that same trajectory the next in the One line next year could be a nice device.

All they have to do is stick closer to stock, and put larger batteries in their phones and they would be golden. Amazing how blind they are to it.

Toki767

One X wasnt a bad device IMO. It just had so many stupid software issues. Its like they get half right, then shoot themselves in the foot with bullshit like gimping multitasking for no damn reason. Its just so weird. They toned down Sense alot though with Sense 4. If they follow that same trajectory the next in the One line next year could be a nice device.

All they have to do is stick closer to stock, and put larger batteries in their phones and they would be golden. Amazing how blind they are to it.

The worst part about Sense 4's skin was what they did to the multitasking screen. It was not quick and easy to change or close apps like it is on stock.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Right now I have a LG Optimus One and I'm on Koodo. I bought a Nexus 4 for the gf but I'm a little torn about what to do with my phone situation. My options are:

1. Galaxy S3: $324 + $100 gift card
2. Galaxy S2 X: $100 + $100 gift card

I'm getting my gfs 3GS so there's that but the S2 X is pretty tempting at $0*. My only concern with it is the way Samsung updates their products (or lack there of). I don't mind rooting it but don't want a custom OS.

Opinions, thoughts?

Am I missing something or is there no push/fetch settings for the gmail app? I just got an email timestamped from 30 minutes earlier so I'm wondering why it didn't push.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Am I missing something or is there no push/fetch settings for the gmail app? I just got an email timestamped from 30 minutes earlier so I'm wondering why it didn't push.

Gmail is push. I don't know what your issue is. Just make sure sync is checked, I guess.

Hieberrr

After messing around with Falcon Pro (For Twitter), I have to say that out is the best Twitter app for Android. It is well-designed and functions like a boss. No widget yet, but it'll be integrated son along with many more features. I highly recommend it!

Cudder

After messing around with Falcon Pro (For Twitter), I have to say that out is the best Twitter app for Android. It is well-designed and functions like a boss. No widget yet, but it'll be integrated son along with many more features. I highly recommend it!

I dug the beta, though it was pretty laggy on my GNex. Did they fix that?

Gmail is push. I don't know what your issue is. Just make sure sync is checked, I guess.
Thanks. Figured as much. Got sync checked. Might have been an issue with hotmail since it was an email forwarded from there.

I tried the widget and it didn't click with me. I think you said you didn't like the widget either. So the standalone app is better? To be honest I need to get into using widgets but so far I have none on my home screen yet.

Hieberrr

I dug the beta, though it was pretty laggy on my GNex. Did they fix that?
The app was laggy on my Galaxy S, but it runs like butter on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. I think there was an update to fix the speed issues in the latest version.

I tried the widget and it didn't click with me. I think you said you didn't like the widget either. So the standalone app is better?
The widget is kind of garbage right now, imo. The standalone app though is extremely solid. I loved the official Twitter app for its simplicity, but there were some issues with it (e.g., Lists were extremely if not impossible to get to). With this app, the UI and UX are impressive, because all you have to do is swipe left and you have all of your menus, middle screen has your timeline and direct messages (you can switch between the two with the tap of a button), and swipe right for your lists and trending tweets. Well worth the $1 if you're looking for something more, but I guess if the official app is good enough then there's no point in buying this :p.

[To be honest I need to get into using widgets but so far I have none on my home screen yet.
Eh, I don't have too many either. I just have Simple Calendar Widget, the photo frame, and the stock digital clock. I'm not a fan of clutter, hehe.

The app was laggy on my Galaxy S, but it runs like butter on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. I think there was an update to fix the speed issues in the latest version.

The widget is kind of garbage right now, imo. The standalone app though is extremely solid. I loved the official Twitter app for its simplicity, but there were some issues with it (e.g., Lists were extremely if not impossible to get to). With this app, the UI and UX are impressive, because all you have to do is swipe left and you have all of your menus, middle screen has your timeline and direct messages (you can switch between the two with the tap of a button), and swipe right for your lists and trending tweets. Well worth the $1 if you're looking for something more, but I guess if the official app is good enough then there's no point in buying this :p.

Eh, I don't have too many either. I just have Simple Calendar Widget, the photo frame, and the stock digital clock. I'm not a fan of clutter, hehe.
I have a few gripes with the official app right now but like you said I appreciate its simplicity. Unless I'm missing something you can't copy a tweet to clipboard by holding finger on screen like you would in any app. Seems to be disabled for some reason in the official client. Can't get a link to the tweet either. These are features available on iOS that I'm missing here. When I get a DM notification and click the notification it sends me to the conversation but that latest DM won't be there unless I back out to my main profile and click the DM icon which refreshes and shows the new DM. I also hate how they removed the translate feature a while back. I follow a few Japanese devs and that came in handy.

For a buck I'll give Falcon a shot. Even if it doesn't fix any of the gripes with the official client that I have. UI looks nice from the preview pics on play store.

Hieberrr

I have a few gripes with the official app right now but like you said I appreciate its simplicity. Unless I'm missing something you can't copy a tweet to clipboard by holding finger on screen like you would in any app. Seems to be disabled for some reason in the official client. Can't get a link to the tweet either. These are features available on iOS that I'm missing here. When I get a DM notification and clicthe notification it sends me to the conversation but that latest DM won't be there unless I back out to my main profile and click the DM icon which refreshes and shows the new DM. I also hate how they removed the translate feature a while back. I follow a few Japanese devs and that came in handy.

For a buck I'll give Falcon a shot. Even if it doesn't fix any of the gripes with the official client that I have. UI looks nice from the preview pics on play store.

As far as I know, the only one that had copy to clipboard is Tweedle.

Man, the iOS app sounds fantastic! :( I wish we had that.

holy shit where do you live? I'm in Pittsburgh, just did a speetest and I got 6.14Mbps download. Damn.

Just outside Seattle. Most of the Seattle area and surrounding communities are blanketed with ridiculously fucking fast 4G LTE.

Your device matters a lot too. Some phones get superior data speeds versus others. Sitting in the exactly the same spot, my old Galaxy Nexus was able to manage a meager 12-13 Mbps. Samsung has certainly improved the quality of their CDMA/LTE devices since then when it comes to signal quality and data speed.

Damn I think my nexus 7 fucked me over

I want a 6" phone with 1080p now

Hope the gnote 3 delivers

Just buy the fucking Note II, geez. It's literally the best phone ever made. There is absolutely nothing wrong with mine except some stupid shit Verizon did which the hackers are currently hard at work fixing.

HTC is a pretty classic example of a company which can't figure out why what they used to do that was successful isn't successful for them now. They basically haven't evolved from the days when they had to heavily skin Windows Mobile 5/6 in order to hide the pile of shit underneath. HTC has become famous for bonehead Android skinning and shit-tastic battery life. Everyone and their mother in the Android ecosystem knows about this reputation, except apparently HTC.

At the rate HTC is going, if they don't turn Sense and device design around soon, they will fade entirely into irrelevance and then after that, it's the dustbin of history. It's obvious that the company can't figure out what their problems are and how to save themselves. Just look at the Droid DNA, it's quite literally every single problem HTC has today boiled down into a single device. Sony has figured out how to turn their mobile division around, if Sony could do it, there's no doubt HTC could. They just need to break the destructive cycle of institutional blindness before it's too late.

Bboy AJ

Thanks. Figured as much. Got sync checked. Might have been an issue with hotmail since it was an email forwarded from there. .
That's your issue. It pulls periodically, not push.

As far as I know, the only one that had copy to clipboard is Tweedle.

Man, the iOS app sounds fantastic! :( I wish we had that.
Share menu. Copy to clipboard.

Nicktendo86

Got a Nexus 7 today and I love it.

Feels weird using my One X now though

My mother in law has got one for my fiance for Xmas, cannot wait to start 'borrowing' it from her. Went and played with one in a shop yesterday, is such a great form factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom