• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, seriously. Questionable decisions after such a fantastic predecessor.

Just wait patiently for 4.2.7 to iron out all these bugs.

Anyone know how to fix a "Insufficient Storage" or "Package File Invalid" error? I really don't want to reflash CM10 again so soon :

EDIT: and yes, I should have enough storage left over (around 150mb)

Plug phone to computer via USB and remove useless videos, photos, files etc. or store them on your computer.

Why don't you get the N4 and sell it in a few months. I don't get it, you are the only one who want the N4.
I thought about that but I just don't want to spend the 300+ bucks for it. If it were cheaper which is ridiculous I know, I'd do it. But ehhh, I'll wait. My mind changes a lot. It'll be worff it.

Is there a way to actually check if they have DRM? Most of the stuff i care about is recent(last year or two) so i should be fine? That is pretty much the only thing holding me back right now.

i dunno how to check if they're DRM'd or not, but they started selling DRM-free music in 2009 and iirc, you can also uppgrade the DRM'd music in iTunes for a fee...

Android seems to really get mad somewhere around 400 MB or less of free internal storage. Things will stop working for no good reason. I was getting a bunch of weird shit goin' on when my free storage fell that low on my old Galaxy Nexus, trying to install apps from Google Play would give me insufficient free space errors. When I freed it up to around 1 GB free by deleting some games, the errors vanished. My guess is that Android needs a certain amount of free space at all times for cache and other OS or filesystem activity.

I think I want a new phone on At&t and LTE.

Either a one X+, note 2 or optimus G.

What's the best right now?

Edit: after reading unknown soldiers post on the official note 2 thread.. I'm now leaning towards the note 2.

Any opinion on the one x+ or the optimus g?

Coming from a one x & gs3 running cm10.

I want a snappier phone.

Android seems to really get mad somewhere around 400 MB or less of free internal storage. Things will stop working for no good reason. I was getting a bunch of weird shit goin' on when my free storage fell that low on my old Galaxy Nexus, trying to install apps from Google Play would give me insufficient free space errors. When I freed it up to around 1 GB free by deleting some games, the errors vanished. My guess is that Android needs a certain amount of free space at all times for cache and other OS or filesystem activity.

depends on size of data partition, when it gets to under 10% free Android gets mad.

I think I want a new phone.

Apple 5

hodgy100

I'm looking for a cheap android tablet (£100) for my parents as a Christmas present. they don't need anything overly powerful just enough for web browsing and maybe playing videos on their tv so something with a dual core will probably be more than enough power

Iv'e found this one: link
and i was wandering if anyone has any experience with it or if they have a better recontamination.

darkwing

Edit: after reading unknown soldiers post on the official note 2 thread.. I'm now leaning towards the note 2.

I want a snappier phone.

note 2, even multiview doesn't faze it

I'd just go for the Note 2 if the size isn't an issue. There's nothing that the One X+ adds that isn't really part of the One X already.

But the thing is, I really like my one X...a bump in memory and speed would be nice.

What does the optimus g has to offer? Quick browse on XDA made it seem like it can run stock android soon...and playing with it at the store...it seem very very snappy....

Toki767

But the thing is, I really like my one X...a bump in memory and speed would be nice.

What does the optimus g has to offer? Quick browse on XDA made it seem like it can run stock android soon...and playing with it at the store...it seem very very snappy....

Well the One X+ does have the 4.1.2, but if you're going to root it and install a custom ROM, it probably won't mater.

The Optimus G in general has a 13MP camera which I think is its main selling point. Also has the Snapdragon S4 Pro and 2GB of RAM. The AT&T version however only has an 8MP camera so keep that in mind.

tino

Banned

One X+ is basically a One X with different CPU manufacturer for cost reason. Optimus G has nothing to offer.

If you don't mind Note 3 will have a massy pixel bump next year, go with the Note 2.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Probably because he prefers it? If it's available, why not

Anyway, the Oppo Find 5 is coming to the US: http://www.oppousa.com/

oppo-find-5-us-1354695132.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I want a snappier phone.

You already have a One X and a GS3 and you already want a new phone? Also you think those two phones running CM10 aren't snappy?

Why do I have this feeling your are crazy.

You already have a One X and a GS3 and you already want a new phone? Also you think those two phones running CM10 aren't snappy?

Why do I have this feeling your are crazy.

With CM10 is it snappy, but there are drawbacks

Bettery wise seem to be worst, especially for the one x.

With the GS3 I've had WiFi issues that was really annoying.

Also, lose in camera capabilities and quality..

Pocks

I'll create a new one and make it quote only for the link.

Against my better judgement I figured people wouldn't care enough to mess with this. *sigh*

You can make a survey link to a spreadsheet, and then make the spreadsheet view only to the public.

JordanKZ

Err... I think my Nexus 4 has died hours after owning it. Here's what's going on.

I had it sat on the arm of a chair in standby, sitting fine there till all of a sudden, it rebooted and the Google logo came up and it just sits there for a solid 20 minutes doing nothing. The device has been unlocked and rooted, but everything else is stock.

So, I turned it off and back on again. Same result, stuck on the Google screen. So I think, okay, I'll try boot into recovery. I can get into fastboot just fine, but recovery also just ends up on the Google screen.

I then tried to flash CWM Touch instead, which worked. And then I try to go into it and it just gets stuck at the Google screen for a minute and then that goes away and the screen just stays on till I force shut it down.

What the actual fuck is going on here? I've never had a problem with any other device I've ever rooted.

Err... I think my Nexus 4 has died hours after owning it. Here's what's going on.

I had it sat on the arm of a chair in standby, sitting fine there till all of a sudden, it rebooted and the Google logo came up and it just sits there for a solid 20 minutes doing nothing. The device has been unlocked and rooted, but everything else is stock.

So, I turned it off and back on again. Same result, stuck on the Google screen. So I think, okay, I'll try boot into recovery. I can get into fastboot just fine, but recovery also just ends up on the Google screen.

I then tried to flash CWM Touch instead, which worked. And then I try to go into it and it just gets stuck at the Google screen for a minute and then that goes away and the screen just stays on till I force shut it down.

What the actual fuck is going on here? I've never had a problem with any other device I've ever rooted.

If you can get into fastboot you are fine. Just flash the stock system image using it and you should be cool. You'll lose root mind. Sounds like you might be stuck in a bootloop, but not obviously so.

JordanKZ

If you can get into fastboot you are fine. Just flash the stock system image using it and you should be cool. You'll lose root mind. Sounds like you might be stuck in a bootloop, but not obviously so.

Okay. I'm downloading the stock 4.2.1 image now. Hopefully this solves it. Thanks.

JordanKZ

If you can get it to turn on, you can get it to recovery. It ain't dead yet

Okay. I'm downloading the stock 4.2.1 image now. Hopefully this solves it. Thanks.

Same result. After flashing stock recovery and the stock 4.2.1 image, it gets stuck on the Google logo again and just does nothing. Eventually the logo disappears and the screen just stays on doing nothing.

Any other suggestions?

Same result. After flashing stock recovery and the stock 4.2.1 image, it gets stuck on the Google logo again and just does nothing. Eventually the logo disappears and the screen just stays on doing nothing.

Any other suggestions?

When I said flash, I meant the factory image using fastboot. Is that what you did?

If you aren't booting correctly there's a good chance your issue is with the boot.img file needing reflashed.

JordanKZ

When I said flash, I meant the factory image using fastboot. Is that what you did?

That's exactly what I did.

Booted into fastboot (vol up+down + power), used Nexus 4 Toolkit 1.4.0, downloaded the 4.2.1 image, flashed it to the device. It ran through the flash out without a problem. The device rebooted and again just sat there.

If you aren't booting correctly there's a good chance your issue is with the boot.img file needing reflashed.

I have no idea how to do that... >_>

That's exactly what I did.

Booted into fastboot (vol up+down + power), used Nexus 4 Toolkit 1.4.0, downloaded the 4.2.1 image, flashed it to the device. It ran through the flash out without a problem. The device rebooted and again just sat there.

Hmmmmm. I'd do it the old fashioned way without using toolkits. I take it you've tried erasing the cache etc etc

2) Extract the content of the Google Image

3) Copy the contents of the factory image to the same folder as where you have fastboot.

4) Boot your phone into the Bootloader mode

5) Open up Command Prompt or Terminal, navigate to the folder you've extracted it all too and enter the following commands waiting for each to finish
Windows
fastboot-windows flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekk15.img (these filenames are for the galaxy nexus, but just substitute the filenames for what's in the Nexus 4 stuff)
fastboot-windows reboot-bootloader
fastboot-windows flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxkk6.img
fastboot-windows reboot-bootloader
fastboot-windows -w update image-yakju-icl53f.zip

JordanKZ

Hmmmmm. I'd do it the old fashioned way without using toolkits. I take it you've tried erasing the cache etc etc

... You can erase the cache in fastboot? I've only ever done it whilst in a custom recovery.

As for doing it manually through adb? I have no idea where to even begin. Which is why I've always used toolkits.

Let's say boot.img is fucked, because that's looking likely. What steps do I need to take?

^ Thanks

... You can erase the cache in fastboot? I've only ever done it whilst in a custom recovery.

As for doing it manually through adb? I have no idea where to even begin. Which is why I've always used toolkits.

Let's say boot.img is fucked, because that's looking likely. What steps do I need to take?

Command is something like fastboot erase-cache, dead easy. Erm, in all honesty if you aren't comfortable using adb.. It's not difficult though, let me try to find you a video for the galaxy nexus because it'll be pretty much exactly the same.

JordanKZ

Command is something like fastboot erase-cache, dead easy. Erm, in all honesty if you aren't comfortable using adb.. It's not difficult though, let me try to find you a video for the galaxy nexus because it'll be pretty much exactly the same.

Learning fastboot commands as I go along. Cleared the cache to make sure that wasn't the reason. Looks like it's not. The stock ROM is re-downloading at the moment. So I'll try flashing the boot.img soon.

I have some background in using cmd commands, so this is fairly simple

Basically you need the fastboot/adb files installed on your PC. If you don't have them, let me know and I can share the required files on dropbox or Google drive or something.

You should have downloaded the Nexus 4 factory image. Extract it and look inside for 2 .img files.

One should be the bootloader,
one should be the radio

There should also be a .zip file of the rom

Once you've found these 3 files, put them inside the fastboot folder

Go into windows cmd line and navigate to the fastboot folder, wherever that is located on your c: drive

I have my fastboot folder on the root of C:\

So to navigate to the fastboot folder I simply pop windows into command mode and type

cd c:\fastboot\

Once you are in there follow these instructions.. (but substitute the file names here for whatever you found in the Nexus 4 factory image)

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekk15.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxkk6.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot -w update image-yakju-icl53f.zip

Once you've done this reboot your device (I think fastboot reboot) and bingo you should be back.

JordanKZ

Writing this whilst it's on Google screen hoping that it's booting.

Steps taken:
1) opened cmd
2) extracted occam-jop40d-factory-ca7602f0 (factory stock 4.2.1 image from direct from Google)
3) placed the 2 .img files and 1 .zip file into a folder
4) fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz10l
<successful>
5) fastboot reboot-bootloader
<successful>
6) fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.33
<successful>
7) fastboot reboot-bootloader
<successful>
8) fastboot -w update image-occam-jop40d
9) device auto rebooted on completion.

I've finished writing this and it's still on the Google screen...

Cipherr

It's really dumb that I can't open this link on my phone because I've chosen to always open Play Store links with the Play Store app.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_4_8GB?id=nexus_4_8gb

It's a really frustrating oversight.

Wha? You can freely expunge any application association from the Settings menu and disassociate the Playstore App from the Play store links. It will reset to asking you what to open it with while giving you the choice to set a default, or continue asking you each time.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, just open settings, go to Apps, scroll to Google Play Store, and click the button that says something like "Clear Launch Default" or something like that.

JordanKZ

At this point, probably best consulting XDA for any unbricking tricks I'm missing. Normally if you can get into fastboot you are dandy.

Okay. So apparently, this might be an overheating issue. I've noticed a red LED appearing. This might mean over heating. I'm going to leave it for an hour, let it cool down and hope it works then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom