• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

I am excited for this, but at the same time with Swype being free and the new stock 4.2 keyboard having swype like functionality built in this is going to have to be REALLY GOOD to get me to switch since I'd have to pay.

PS: I currently use Swype.
I think the big thing for me will be the prediction because SwiftKey seems to be way better at that than either swype or stock.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Going to setup my streaming setup for later for Metroid. If that goes smoothly I might start typing up my Cyanogen 10 review.

If there is anything you specifically want me to touch on let me know Android-GAF!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
When using Dolphin jetpack, when I close them reopen the browser the address bar and tabs disappears. How do I fix it so that doesn't happen?

Yo Bootleg did you ever figure out your signal dropping problem? You ever flash a new ROM?

Nope, waiting for either AOKP 4.2.1 to come out or for me to get off my ass and flash CM...

even with Titanium Backup I feel like it takes too long for me to get all my settings back and plus none of my apps auto update by default in the play store after i do that. drives me nuts.

flashing is getting kind of annoying to me, but I keep doing it hoping for perfection, but what is perfection really? starting to think perfection is not having to flash a new ROM lol.

need to get a Nexus but i am dreading no LTE. thinking heavily about getting a GS3, but then i'll just be flashing flashing flashing all over again because nobody completely releases source AND binaries, except for on Nexus devices right??

it will always have some bugs or defects unless it's a Nexus device...even AOSP ROMs like CM10 and AOKP are better on Nexus devices...

this is what i am seeing, am I right?

edit:

When using Dolphin jetpack, when I close them reopen the browser the address bar and tabs disappears. How do I fix it so that doesn't happen?

did i miss something? wtf is jetpack?? been hearing that today multiple times for the first time. don't know what jetpack is, but rather than google it, school me my brethren

Why does my phone say I have 20mb in pictures when my gallery is empty? Where are these pictures? Is there anywhere else I should be checking for where media is kept?

tino

Banned
Why does my phone say I have 20mb in pictures when my gallery is empty? Where are these pictures? Is there anywhere else I should be checking for where media is kept?

Use Folder Size Chart to discover where your crap is hidding. I found gigs of thumb nail cache files under sdcard/Android/data/[some dumb app]

tino

Banned
^^^ Maybe Asus has enough sense to include an IR receiver in it.

I am listening to Verge Mobile podcast right now. Chris Ziegler is also preaching my theory that the smartphone hardware arm race is coming to an end soon. He uses the word "normalized".

Pctx

Banned

reps.gif

jokkir

Anyone know why my Photosphere is not appearing as a photosphere in Google+? It appears fine on my phone

EDIT - Nvm, it has to take a bit of time to process. Hmmm

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How does Titanium Backup work when restoring to a new phone? Will the Play Store detect the apps I installed and update them accordingly? Or do I install from the Play Store manually then restore their data through TiB?

tino

Banned
How does Titanium Backup work when restoring to a new phone? Will the Play Store detect the apps I installed and update them accordingly? Or do I install from the Play Store manually then restore their data through TiB?

You restore with TB first. If there is new a version in the Play store, the store app will update for you later.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You restore with TB first. If there is new a version in the Play store, the store app will update for you later.

Ah, perfect. Exactly how things should work. I was worried it would be like side loading where the Play Store has no idea what's going on. Thanks.

Vanillalite

Well I'm awake and refreshed. Stayed up till 4 AM EST beating Metroid on the NES in one sitting while performing my 1st live stream for GAF.

Woke up and got some donughts to fuel my weekend. Now I sit here with my coffee and I'm going to write my mini review of CM10.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I'm currently a Verizon iPhone 4 user and am overdue for an upgrade. I'd like to get the N4 but you know...

For me, when it comes to Android, it's stock or bust. Would you recommend getting a Verizon Galaxy Nexus at this point?

Hieberrr

Nope, waiting for either AOKP 4.2.1 to come out or for me to get off my ass and flash CM...

even with Titanium Backup I feel like it takes too long for me to get all my settings back and plus none of my apps auto update by default in the play store after i do that. drives me nuts.

flashing is getting kind of annoying to me, but I keep doing it hoping for perfection, but what is perfection really? starting to think perfection is not having to flash a new ROM lol.

need to get a Nexus but i am dreading no LTE. thinking heavily about getting a GS3, but then i'll just be flashing flashing flashing all over again because nobody completely releases source AND binaries, except for on Nexus devices right??

it will always have some bugs or defects unless it's a Nexus device...even AOSP ROMs like CM10 and AOKP are better on Nexus devices...

this is what i am seeing, am I right?

edit:

did i miss something? wtf is jetpack?? been hearing that today multiple times for the first time. don't know what jetpack is, but rather than google it, school me my brethren

Man, people need to stop using TB. That shit causes more problems than it solves.

Vanillalite

I'm currently a Verizon iPhone 4 user and am overdue for an upgrade. I'd like to get the N4 but you know...

For me, when it comes to Android, it's stock or bust. Would you recommend getting a Verizon Galaxy Nexus at this point?

FUCK NO!!! Let me repeat FUCK NO!!!

It's not a Nexus device. Verizon isn't pushing out updates so it's not really a Nexus device.

If you are comfortable you should just get the best phone that suits your needs and flash AOKP or CM. Then boom you have something close to stock.

Man, people need to stop using TB. That shit causes more problems than it solves.

I've come to this conclusion as well. Seems like there are a lot of post get back your stuff glitches and/or performance issues.

tino

Banned
FUCK NO!!! Let me repeat FUCK NO!!!

It's not a Nexus device. Verizon isn't pushing out updates so it's not really a Nexus device.

If you are comfortable you should just get the best phone that suits your needs and flash AOKP or CM. Then boom you have something close to stock.

I've come to this conclusion as well. Seems like there are a lot of post get back your stuff glitches and/or performance issues.

Did you try indirect mode?

Remember restore user apps only, no system apps.

Bboy AJ

This has been my opinion since I used it years ago. But someone here said it works just fine (Faceless? Tino?) so I bought it for $6. I'm going to use it when my N4 arrives. I haven't restored with it yet.

Just let all apps download from the Play store again. If a custom ROM or Gapps package doesn't support this feature then find a better Gapps package or stay stock.

TB is a convenient way to restore everything but it comes at a cost - something can get broken and then you have a problem if you don't know what app restore did the "damage".

Use Datasync (Beta) instead if you are rooted. It's a free Holo-styled app, offers appdata sharing between devices and supports dropbox and box. This is great for gamesaves.

For SMS there is SMS backup & Restore that also can send files to dropbox.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quintstoffers.DataSync

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

Bboy AJ

It looks better and is free? Got dammit, I should have used DataSync instead.

tino

Banned
You can use TB to restore certain apps only.

For example, podcast app, music app with alot of playlist, RSS app, launcher apps etc.

Perfect Viewer would be a perfect example that needs TB to restore all the user settings.

Maybe you guys don't do a lot of flashing. I don't know how you can try custom rom without TB. It's not possible.

Tattooth

I'm quite new to android, so I don't know if this is really easy to do or not. I have neogaf on my homescreen, but every time I click on it, the site opens as a new tab on any browser I use.
I want it so that I whenever I click on the gaf homescreen icon it will open a fresh version of that browser so that each time I click on it the tabs are stacking up.
I am only asking because, whe I was using dolphin and had about 6 tabs open, it would keep crashing.

Hieberrr

Yeha, I'm planing on streaming footy matches in HD via sopcast on it. Hopefully it (or the MK808 can run that without hiccups).

Which if you use Google maps is possible right? I was able to get map data for my whole city (and surrounding cities) with an 80mb download

no, you still need a data connection with Google Maps to plot routes, etc... saving the map data only lets you continue to use an already plotted route if you lose your connection during your trip. you need a 3rd party app like NavFree or MapDroyd for proper offline navigation.

My old Gnex had a pretty decent audio quality out of the headphones output, but honestly I think my GNII is noticeably better. The frequency response is incredibly flat without needing any EQ, whereas the Gnex had a noticeable midbass hump which had be EQed out. The high end seems a bit clearer too and has better handling of the details in music. Wolfson DAC wins again.

tino

Banned
I'm quite new to android, so I don't know if this is really easy to do or not. I have neogaf on my homescreen, but every time I click on it, the site opens as a new tab on any browser I use.
I want it so that I whenever I click on the gaf homescreen icon it will open a fresh version of that browser so that each time I click on it the tabs are stacking up.
I am only asking because, whe I was using dolphin and had about 6 tabs open, it would keep crashing.

Why don't you just click on the browser logo? Even most browsers in Windows will act like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom