• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. So apparently, this might be an overheating issue. I've noticed a red LED appearing. This might mean over heating. I'm going to leave it for an hour, let it cool down and hope it works then.

At the very least you've set it back to stock if you need to return it to Google. Let me know in an hour.

Cipherr

Google Now just got an update, its on the Play store now. A bunch of travel related stuff for the holidays. Boarding passes for your flights that automatically pop up when GPS recognizes you are at the Airport. And a few voice search additions, you can apparently search for the name of a song playing with voice commands now, and post to G+ with voice commands.

Google+Now+-+Travel+Cards+Update3.png

GoogleVoiceSearch-PosttoG+.png

JordanKZ

At the very least you've set it back to stock if you need to return it to Google. Let me know in an hour.

Well. I decided to return to it 30 minutes later (as it's much cooler now). But it appears to have a new party trick. The device will not boot unless it's plugged in.

Looks like I'm not the first person with this problem either.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/226140-nexus-4-failure.html

I'm going to call o2 and get a replacement sent. Urgh, what a hassle.

Cipherr

Biggest change? Seems much faster. The barcode capture ui is pretty nice too. Song recognition feature doesn't work in the UK dammit. I wish they'd bring magazines and sound search here pronto.

I really like the barcode scan voice command. Going into the app drawer for Google Goggles kinda sucked since I didnt have to scan things often. Very nice touch. Song search works here. It works well. No idea why they would disable that for another region.

It mutes/pauses music playing on the phone and listens to outside sources. I suppose if you want to ID the song playing through the phone speaker, you would still use the widget since activating voice commands for Now auto mutes all audio coming from the phone so it can hear your speech.

But the thing is, I really like my one X...a bump in memory and speed would be nice.

What does the optimus g has to offer? Quick browse on XDA made it seem like it can run stock android soon...and playing with it at the store...it seem very very snappy....

i think camera isn't important to you, because i believe you got that Sony one correct?

after reading unknown soldiers post (after you mentioned it) i would probably go with the note 2 as well. (i'm scared that i'm going to go buy it now lol)

trying to just hold onto this One X and just wait until after february to buy anything else... (except maybe a Nexus 10, xmas for sure)

i think camera isn't important to you, because i believe you got that Sony one correct?

after reading unknown soldiers post (after you mentioned it) i would probably go with the note 2 as well. (i'm scared that i'm going to go buy it now lol)

trying to just hold onto this One X and just wait until after february to buy anything else... (except maybe a Nexus 10, xmas for sure)

Yeah I got the the Sony rx100 and the piece of crap pureview 808.

The gs3 & one x has an excellent camera, but cm10 kinda downgrade the image and function.

I really like my One X because of the screen, that's why I was considering the one X+.

I like browsing the web at night while in bed and a bigger screen would be nice. I tried using the PS vita but the browser sucks. I got a few iPads but they are too big and I seem to drop them on my face. The Wii U gamepad is actually really good for watching Netflix and browsing...but I know sooner or later I will drop that thing on my face. That's my I always seem to go back to the one X, nice screen at night and it hurts less.

Clear defaults for Play Store app, frustration dissolved?

Just reset it like everyone else said, and in future double click the option you want to avoid this in future.
I wasn't asking about myself, although jumping through hoops just to get to their sales page does annoy me. I'm more speaking about how they're potentially losing the attention and dollars of an average user who doesn't know about program defaults.

And I'm not going to double click an extra menu a thousand times just because one of those times I need another app. That's just poor design, and it's an easily solvable problem that someone at Google just hasn't addressed.

Cipherr

I wasn't asking about myself, although jumping through hoops just to get to their sales page does annoy me. I'm more speaking about how they're potentially losing the attention and dollars of an average user who doesn't know about program defaults.

And I'm not going to double click an extra menu a thousand times just because one of those times I need another app. That's just poor design, and it's an easily solvable problem that someone at Google just hasn't addressed.

O.....kay? I suppose I hear you, but thats a seemingly awful lot of compassion for something so easily remedied dude. Change or clear the default. If thats to much trouble, long press the link and select open in new tab, TADAAA. No complicated instructions needed. Heck if you long press in Firefox it gives you a menu choice to open with the App store app or to just open in a new tab.

I can definitely relate to having to give instructions to fix a problem to family members that aren't very tech savvy, but this is just a really minor thing.

jokkir

Here's the damn error I keep getting:

4skqH.jpg

and here's a picture of my space available (no idea how it's so low in the first place. I don't think I have that many apps installed...)

jYIFa.jpg

Halp?

Toki767

One thing about the new Voice Search update is that the song IDing only seems to work if the song is on the Play Store.

Just recieved Jelly Bean and Sense 4+ on my international HTC One X.
I'm really impressed by how much better the phone runs altogether now. So many little tweaks and improvements, almost feels like a new phone. Seriously

Yeah I got the the Sony rx100 and the piece of crap pureview 808.

The gs3 & one x has an excellent camera, but cm10 kinda downgrade the image and function.

I really like my One X because of the screen, that's why I was considering the one X+.

I like browsing the web at night while in bed and a bigger screen would be nice. I tried using the PS vita but the browser sucks. I got a few iPads but they are too big and I seem to drop them on my face. The Wii U gamepad is actually really good for watching Netflix and browsing...but I know sooner or later I will drop that thing on my face. That's my I always seem to go back to the one X, nice screen at night and it hurts less.

i lost it

lol, sit up a little while lying in bed. drop it on your chest.

so i told my wife that my texts weren't sending and she says to me

"well maybe you should stop doing bootloaders and flashing roms and flashing your balls"

dunno how to feel about that lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
We have any solid info for what is rumored to be at CES in Jan?

1329122728193.gif

Phandroid!

Rumored HTC M7 to have 5 inch HD display, quad-core processor and 13 megapixel camera

htc_mystery.jpg

New rumors suggest HTC is working on a flagship device called the HTC M7. Said to arrive Q1 2013, the M7 is supposed to come with a 5 inch 1080p HD display. That particular spec is nothing new as the same company introduced a 1080p phone when it launched the DROID DNA on Verizon.

Alongside what many consider to be one of the best displays in the business, we should also expect Qualcomm’s quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro and a 13 megapixel primary shooter. The phone’s internals will be housed in an aluminum unibody chassis, as well, so this thing should feel solidly premium all around.

HTC is said to be aiming for mass production at some point early next year with devices hitting store shelves before the Spring months are over.

Yayyy new rumours. So are we to assume that this is HTCs new flagship device? Seems like it.

Honestly just put a GOOD FUCKING BATTERY in there and I guarantee you it'll be better than the galaxy s4 by virtue of the fact that HTC uses better screens than samsung. Should be funny, Sony's new flagship, HTCs new flagsip, and Samsungs S4 should all be launching within 2-3 months of each other max.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yayyy new rumours. So are we to assume that this is HTCs new flagship device? Seems like it.

Honestly just put a GOOD FUCKING BATTERY in there and I guarantee you it'll be better than the galaxy s4 by virtue of the fact that HTC uses better screens than samsung. Should be funny, Sony's new flagship, HTCs new flagsip, and Samsungs S4 should all be launching within 2-3 months of each other max.

I'd assume this is their new Flagship GSM Device to replace the One X and the One X(L). It's basically the Droid DNA, but with probably a different design (something more akin to the Unibody One X/S) and that big 13 MP Camera. Chipset seems to be the exact same as the Droid DNA and the screen seems to be the same too with a 5" 1080p screen.

I lay on my back and use my devices and have never dropped anything on my face.

....FML

I have used laptop in bed and have had them drop on my face before (11"). Even 7" tablet is too large to use in bed, 5+" phone is perfect.

......life redeemed!

I'd assume this is their new Flagship GSM Device to replace the One X and the One X(L). It's basically the Droid DNA, but with probably a different design (something more akin to the Unibody One X/S) and that big 13 MP Camera. Chipset seems to be the exact same as the Droid DNA and the screen seems to be the same too with a 5" 1080p screen.

I want!!!
I was going to get the DNA only if LTE would have worked..

Would be a shame if it's the same size as the DNA. Shit is just too big. The dimensions for the Sony Odin got me spoiled already on expectations for possible sizes. I mean that is reliably rumoured to have dimensions smaller than most android phones at are in the 4 inch range :/

Everyone else should be ashamed if they're releasing bigger phones.

Cipherr

MicroSD on that bitch or bust.... Well maybe not bust, all the form over function drooling masses can splooge over the factory sealed unibody aluminum rectangle and maybe we can shut them up for a few months. Meanwhile the rest of us can buy GS4's with massive MicroSD cards, removable batteries and whatnot.

tino

Banned
We all know how will Samsung, HTC, Sony design their flagship phones. Samsung will keep the expendability and HTC and Sony will copy Apple.

I wonder if Moto will keep SD slot or go full Nexus next year. Hopefully both Huawei and Asus will bring their top phones to the US next year. These guys will keep the hope alive. By hope, I meant SD slot.

Also, micro nano Sim, fuck that shit!

Would be a shame if it's the same size as the DNA. Shit is just too big. The dimensions for the Sony Odin got me spoiled already on expectations for possible sizes. I mean that is reliably rumoured to have dimensions smaller than most android phones at are in the 4 inch range :/

Everyone else should be ashamed if they're releasing bigger phones.

Ive actually checked out the DNA at the verizon store, it wasn't big at all...it was almost the same size as the GS3/OneX, felt really good.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Here's the damn error I keep getting:

http://i.imgur.com/4skqH.jpg[IMG]

and here's a picture of my space available (no idea how it's so low in the first place. I don't think I have that many apps installed...)

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jYIFa.jpg[IMG]

Halp?[/QUOTE]

go into Settings/Applications (or apps), get to All Apps (no just downloaded or running), sort by size. From my experience, Music had a cache of 3 gigs once..Amazon App Store had 2.1 gigs stored up. Find out what's eating your space then clear the cache. You could try to install a App2SD program. It's pretty useless if your phone OS doesn't recognize external space (cough gs3 cough) but it should be an options under the menu for clear cache. Either or.

Pctx

Banned
I'm probably going to end up getting the DNA since I'm going to be jumping ship to Verizon next year and I don't really see anything else on the horizon yet that looks better.

The Galaxy Note II is actually not much bigger than the DNA. If you are fine with the DNA, the GNII won't faze you.

c'mon son

not too much bigger is extremely relative... especially when most reviews are stating that the DNAs size is bordering being big. they say it's ok because its not really wider than the one x/GS3, but the fact of the matter is that the note 2 is.

he should probably play with that too, just to get a feel.

The Galaxy Note II is actually not much bigger than the DNA. If you are fine with the DNA, the GNII won't faze you.

c'mon son

not too much bigger is extremely relative... especially when most reviews are stating that the DNAs size is bordering being big. they say it's ok because its not really wider than the one x/GS3, but the fact of the matter is that the note 2 is.

I've played with the note 2, its definitely much bigger than the DNA. The DNA is pretty much the same size as the GS3/one X.....the thing is, after playing with the note 2, I don't mind the bigger size.

c'mon son

The Note II is slightly less than 1/4 inch wider than the GSIII.

JordanKZ

The madness continues with this nexus 4. Plugged it in to charge last night and left it at the google screen. It got crazy hot (left it in a cold room) Turned it off this morning and back on again... And it booted with 0% charge. And now its actually charging and has booted.

Did I just force this thing back to life..?

The madness continues with this nexus 4. Plugged it in to charge last night and left it at the google screen. It got crazy hot (left it in a cold room) Turned it off this morning and back on again... And it booted with 0% charge. And now its actually charging and has booted.

Did I just force this thing back to life..?

sounds defective, i would try and get it replaced.

The funny thing is that I don't even really miss SwiftKey on my Note II. The stock TouchWiz keyboard does everything SwiftKey 3 did like log on to your Facebook to memorize your sentence patterns, predictive text with learning what words you use sequentially, Swype-style key tracing, and it even adds a WebOS-style number row above the regular keyboard that no other keyboard has. The TouchWiz keyboard doesn't auto-correct the way SwiftKey does but half the time the auto-correct only fucked up some word which wasn't in the dictionary I actually meant to enter in. Word correction only seems to occur when you tap the predicted or corrected word in the list above the number row.

darkwing

The funny thing is that I don't even really miss SwiftKey on my Note II. The stock TouchWiz keyboard does everything SwiftKey 3 did like log on to your Facebook to memorize your sentence patterns, predictive text with learning what words you use sequentially, Swype-style key tracing, and it even adds a WebOS-style number row above the regular keyboard that no other keyboard has. The TouchWiz keyboard doesn't auto-correct the way SwiftKey does but half the time the auto-correct only fucked up some word which wasn't in the dictionary I actually meant to enter in. Word correction only seems to occur when you tap the predicted or corrected word in the list above the number row.

you will lose the SPen functionality in the keyboard if you use SwiftKey right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom