• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
you will lose the SPen functionality in the keyboard if you use SwiftKey right?

Yeah. I actually tried writing out a text message for fun with the S-Pen, it worked out better than I expected in terms of recognizing my handwriting. I don't necessarily think it's that practical to write out your texts or forum posts but it's way cool to sit there and do it in public while random people watch you and wonder what the hell you're doing.

3phemeral

Google just updated Translate, Google Search, Authenticator, and Voice. Most notable are Translate and Search:

Search:

What's in this version:
For Android 4.1+ (Jelly Bean), Google Search keeps getting faster, plus:
New cards:
- Events nearby [integrating Field Trip?]
- Suggestions to help with your research
- Boarding passes from Gmail (United only, more to come) [just scheduled a flight with them, awesome]
- Search by camera when at museums or shops [integrating Google Shopper?]
- Weather at upcoming travel destinations
- Approximate monthly summary of walking and biking activity
- Birthdays
New voice actions:
- Post to Google+
- Say "What's this song?" to find the song you hear
- Say "Scan a barcode" to find product info

Example of Google Search by photo:
u0hQPl.png

JkkTgl.png

----------

And Google Translate:

What's in this version:
• Translate Chinese, Japanese, and Korean by recognizing text with your Camera (horizontal text only, for now).
• Recognize handwriting in more languages:
Afrikaans, Croatian, Czech, Icelandic, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Slovak, Slovenian, Ukrainian, Welsh

The funny thing is that I don't even really miss SwiftKey on my Note II. The stock TouchWiz keyboard does everything SwiftKey 3 did like log on to your Facebook to memorize your sentence patterns, predictive text with learning what words you use sequentially, Swype-style key tracing, and it even adds a WebOS-style number row above the regular keyboard that no other keyboard has. The TouchWiz keyboard doesn't auto-correct the way SwiftKey does but half the time the auto-correct only fucked up some word which wasn't in the dictionary I actually meant to enter in. Word correction only seems to occur when you tap the predicted or corrected word in the list above the number row.

the Note II's KB is powered by SwiftKey technology. notice how the settings menus are eerily familiar?

jokkir

Testing Swiftkey Flow. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. Now without a finger. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Oh, cool, it got it

Doopliss

We all know how will Samsung, HTC, Sony design their flagship phones. Samsung will keep the expendability and HTC and Sony will copy Apple.

I wonder if Moto will keep SD slot or go full Nexus next year. Hopefully both Huawei and Asus will bring their top phones to the US next year. These guys will keep the hope alive. By hope, I meant SD slot.

Also, micro nano Sim, fuck that shit!

I'm sure Samsung will also keep their Gingerbread menu key.

I'm sure Samsung will also keep their Gingerbread menu key.

And by doing so, and by continuing with hardware keys failing to understand Duarte's vision for Android and the need for on screen keys. Samsung make hardware than has real power, but consistently fail in both design and software. But if the masses continue to lap it up, little will change.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
With CM10 is it snappy, but there are drawbacks

Bettery wise seem to be worst, especially for the one x.

With the GS3 I've had WiFi issues that was really annoying.

Also, lose in camera capabilities and quality..

On a side note have you tried flashing a custom kernel with CM10 and changing the CPU Govenor to something CPU friendly? CM10 + Rohan's Kernel + Intellidemand (which is based off of ondemand) definitely helps give you a battery life boost.

And by doing so, and by continuing with hardware keys failing to understand Duarte's vision for Android and the need for on screen keys. Samsung make hardware than has real power, but consistently fail in both design and software. But if the masses continue to lap it up, little will change.

I left the on-screen buttons of my Galaxy Nexus for the hardware buttons of my Note II. I'm going to be honest here. The on-screen buttons created more problems than they solved. Even today, the vast majority of apps just don't have a clue what they are supposed to do with the on-screen buttons. Games don't hide them. Apps don't hide them. The only things which hide them are YouTube and video player apps which were updated like MX Player and the like. So the on-screen buttons sit there and use up screen real estate. This was especially infuriating in games, I don't need the goddamn buttons on the right side of my screen when I'm playing a game, but not one single game hides them. This is because if the game hid the buttons, how would you get back to the home screen from the game?

On the GNex, a phone with a Super AMOLED screen, within a few months I had ridiculous burn-in which caused the right edge of the full-screen video in the rare cases I got something to fill the screen to have different colors and brightness than the rest of the screen, because the on-screen keys were always there and never hidden. The on-screen buttons were slowly destroying my screen every day I used my phone.

The only difference between my Note II and my GNex is now I long press on the Verizon(tm) button for 2 seconds to bring up the multi-tasking menu. By having a hardware menu button, I avoid the ridiculous problems HTC has created for themselves by not having one. And I get to use my entire screen for content instead of wasting the bottom part of it on the on-screen buttons.

I love what Duarte has done for Android. Between Gingerbread and ICS/JB he has turned Android from a buggy, laggy pile of horseshit into the smoothest, fastest, most advanced smartphone OS available today. But the reality is that on-screen buttons just aren't as practical as hardware buttons. Even iPhone has a physical home button. Windows Phones have buttons. And yes, Android phones are better when they have buttons, assuming you aren't colossal fuckups like HTC.

Hieberrr

I just installed the new SwiftKey beta and it really works well, but there is one thing that I just hate about it. If you write a long sentence without removing your finger from the screen, but make a spelling mistake, the whole sentence is gone.

jokkir

On reason I don't like Swiftkey in general is if you make a spelling mistake, you can't just hit backspace once to delete that word you made a mistake on. A tad annoying

I left the on-screen keys of my Galaxy Nexus for the hardware buttons of my Note II. I'm going to be honest here. The on-screen buttons created more problems than they solved. Even today, the vast majority of apps just don't have a clue what they are supposed to do with the on-screen buttons. Games don't hide them. Apps don't hide them. The only things which hide them are YouTube and video player apps which were updated like MX Player and the like. So the on-screen buttons sit there and use up screen real estate.

On the GNex, a phone with a Super AMOLED screen, within a few months I had ridiculous burn-in which caused the right edge of the full-screen video in the rare cases I got something to fill the screen to have different colors and brightness than the rest of the screen, because the on-screen keys were always there and never hidden.

The only difference between my Note II and my GNex is now I long press on the Verizon(tm) button for 2 seconds to bring up the multi-tasking menu. By having a hardware menu button, I avoid the ridiculous problems HTC has created for themselves by not having one. And I get to use my entire screen for content instead of wasting the bottom part of it on the on-screen buttons.

I love what Duarte has done for Android. Between Gingerbread and ICS/JB he has turned Android from a buggy, laggy pile of horseshit into the smoothest, fastest, most advanced smartphone OS available today. But the reality is that on-screen buttons just aren't as practical as hardware buttons. Even iPhone has a physical home button. Windows Phones have buttons. And yes, Android phones are better when they have buttons, assuming you aren't colossal fuckups like HTC.

I completely disagree. I see on screen buttons as offering a flexibility in gesture use and design that hardware buttons can't provide. I accept that they use up screen space (but really the challenge here is just to reduce the physical space required by buttons on a phone and then fill that up with software).

Case in point, Google Now. Swipe up with the home button on a G Nexus or Nexus 4. The gesture feels more natural than a long press or some other trick.

The multitasking by long pressing? I think what Duarte is doing here is putting multitasking front and centre as a key point of Androids productivity and ease of use. No other phone mainstream phone OS does multitasking as well as Android does now. It should not require a long press. It should be instant.

The menu button issue? Solved by on screen buttons pretty easily. But by removing the menu button from the core UI the idea is to force developers to stop hiding things under the menu button and use proper UI paradigms.

As for games not hiding the buttons, at first I thought this would be a major issue, even more so when using the keyboard. That'd I'd constantly be accidentally be hitting these buttons. Not the case.

And then flexibility. What If they want to add in another button? Or use the on screen button area for gestures? Right to left switches between last used apps, etc? Even custom roms can add the search key back in.

I can't say the burn in problem is an issue for me. I've had my GSM Galaxy Nexus from about a fortnight after the launch date and no burn in. Some people have this problem on Amoled screens, but it isn't consistent. Even without onscreen buttons if burn in is an issue it should still occur with the notification bar.

The only consistent argument against on screen buttons that I can truly understand is that it uses up screen space. And like I said this for me is just a challenge for hardware engineers to have the screen take up the space where the physical buttons would normally be.

Onscreen buttons offer unparalleled flexibility, can adapt with the rest of the UI as required and are more suitable for gesture use. I guess some of this is subjective, but I honestly believe on screen buttons are the correct way forward and a point of differentiation from the competitors. Just because Apple historically have a hardware button and Windows Phone does too, doesn't necessarily mean they are correct.

Hieberrr

What flexibility? The on screen buttons always display the same thing all the time (back, home, and multitasking). The only other thing that ever apps add there is the occasional menu button. I'd rather have captive buttons and physical buttons on my phone.

tino

Banned
Until virtual buttons can enforce always portrait mode disable landscape mode, and an option to put 2 back buttons one left and right on the buttons bar, virtual buttons are not better than capacity buttons.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I just don't like how on-screen buttons take away from screen estate. 4.7" becoming 4.4" just isn't sexy imo dudes, it's just silly.

What flexibility? The on screen buttons always display the same thing all the time (back, home, and multitasking). The only other thing that ever apps add there is the occasional menu button. I'd rather have captive buttons and physical buttons on my phone.

What flexibilty?

Buttons can disappear under certain circumstances

Buttons can dim under certain circumstances

Buttons can rotate under certain circumstaces

Buttons can appear under certain circumstances (legacy menu button)

Button typography can change if required in UI updates to overall OS

Buttons can be added to/removed in custom roms (search button etc)

Button color can be changed and highlighting effect for visual feedback of button press

Button space can be used more intuitively for gestures (see Google Now, drag up anywhere from virtual buttons to launch)

With the exception of dimming, physical buttons normally don't or can't do any of these things.

If you can't see the flexibility argument now... Like I said the only solid argument against on screen buttons is that takes up screen space. But physical buttons are also taking up space where more screen estate could go. The challenge for hardware producers is to create a phone where the front is almost all screen except a forward facing camera and speaker grille. We'll get there in the next year or two.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sony ups the awesome by providing a tool to flash OEM software back to unlocked Xperia devices: http://youtu.be/PKSyZ2amVNY

There's no denying that of all the Android OEMs, Sony's the most consumer-friendly. With a track record encompassing consistent and transparent software updates, easily unlocked bootloaders, a former flagship that's been in and out of AOSP and now this -- an Xperia flash tool -- the company's on a roll. Released today on the mobile outfit's developer site, the beta tool allows Xperia users with unlocked bootloaders to revert back to Sony's lightly-skinned stock ROMs. The process is as simple as downloading the program from its dev portal, connecting your device, selecting the available "services" (read: Xperia ROMs), flashing your ROM of choice and then rebooting. Easy enough, no? For a brief video walkthrough, head on past the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/06/sony-xperia-flash-tool-beta-unlocked-devices/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/201...ocked-xperia-smartphones-video-beta-download/

can't get more friendly than that

Doopliss

When screens take up the entire front faces of phones, then on-screen buttons will be cool. Right now HTC has the best solution. Any app that needs a menu button and still hasn't updated to include one in the UI is a worthless turd, and deserving of an ugly bar wasting screen space.

gcubed

When screens take up the entire front faces of phones, then on-screen buttons will be cool. Right now HTC has the best solution. Any app that needs a menu button and still hasn't updated to include one in the UI is a worthless turd, and deserving of an ugly bar wasting screen space.

or, if you had on screen buttons, you wouldn't notice that.

If you had more then 1 or 2 vendors using on screen buttons you'd get more app developers typing "onfullscreen=hide" in their code.

Google just needs to use the on screen buttons for gesture control in keylime pie and make it harder to shit it up

A menu button in the upper right corner is much harder to hit than a capacity menu I can reach.

WHO NEEDS A MENU BUTTON ANYMORE?
"The menu button was a source of frustration for users," Duarte says. "You never knew if there was going to be any functionality hiding behind that button or not." While doing baseline user research, the Android team discovered that many users felt dumb using the system because they couldn’t figure out how to access all its features. "We went through and eliminated all the hidden affordances [controls], places in the system where it wasn’t clear what you had to do, or where somebody would have to teach you, or where you’d have to just try it [to figure out what it did]," Duarte says. To reduce the learning curve, all essential actions in each application are right up on the surface screen. "That makes everything much more discoverable and much faster."

Matias Duarte gets it. The menu button had to die. long live the three on screen dots! The point Matias is making is that he wanted apps to work on exposing the controls you use all the time on the screen and relegate the very occasional tweaks to the overflow button. Developers were actually hiding useful, day to day stuff under the menu button along with the stuff you'd change less frequently. This is as much about developers as it is the end user.

I have never had the problem he describes there.

Android 4.0 and above wasn't built for you specifically, it was built for the masses. It was built for the gran who has never used a smartphone before. It was built for the mum who used to use a blackberry. The idea that Android should be built for power users is obsolete. The menu button hid things it shouldn't have and its existence meant that developers frequently used it, but often for the wrong things.

EDIT - Read this!

http://android-developers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/say-goodbye-to-menu-button.html

Hieberrr

What flexibilty?

They can do that with capacative buttons.

Same as above.

Doesn't really matter, because at the end of the day, you still have the same three buttons.

Which is essentially stupid, because on capacative buttons, it would've had it's own button anyways. There's no real difference.

It can, but you wouldn't need to change them with capacative buttons.

I'll give you that. But so far, non have really done that (there are some, I admit that).

Button color can be changed and highlighting effect for visual feedback of button press
Pretty useless imo.

Button space can be used more intuitively for gestures (see Google Now, drag up anywhere from virtual buttons to launch).
To some extent I agree with you. This could easily be done with a hold of the home button. It's pretty much the same thing.

With the exception of dimming, physical buttons normally don't or can't do any of these things.

If you can't see the flexibility argument now... Like I said the only solid argument against on screen buttons is that takes up screen space. But physical buttons are also taking up space where more screen estate could go. The challenge for hardware producers is to create a phone where the front is almost all screen except a forward facing camera and speaker grille. We'll get there in the next year or two.
No, physical button do not take up screen space. On every phone, you have more than enough space for buttons. If anything, the on-screen ones take up space since they take up at least, what, 48 px in height?. You can do everything with buttons as you can on-screen. I don't see the advantages of having on-screen buttons with the exception of potentially adding more buttons. But that is limited to custom roms and and custom rom users, and even those are pretty rare when compared to the whole market.

EDIT: Also, how are the three dots any different from a menu button? It's the same thing!

buhdeh

Honestly, I hate the capacitive buttons on my S3. They're WAY too close to the bottom of the phone. I don't feel safe pressing on them without a case because of how god damn slippery the phone is and how close to the edge the buttons are. It's even worse when I go into landscape mode because there's literally no area to grip the phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have never had the problem he describes there.

How long have you been using Android? The Menu button has been the bane of my existence in the early days. I never knew when to click it. Or if a different setting level would equate to new Menu content. You'd just never know until you tried it. It was a headache.

Good riddance. Now fix the Back button.

Toki767

No, physical button do not take up screen space. On every phone, you have more than enough space for buttons. If anything, the on-screen ones take up space since they take up at least, what, 48 px in height?. You can do everything with buttons as you can on-screen. I don't see the advantages of having on-screen buttons with the exception of potentially adding more buttons. But that is limited to custom roms and and custom rom users, and even those are pretty rare when compared to the whole market.

EDIT: Also, how are the three dots any different from a menu button? It's the same thing!

My biggest problem with on screen buttons are that they don't seem to make bezels any smaller on the bottom of the phone. If the face of the phone at least on the bottom was non-existent, I would gladly welcome the on screen layout. The Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 have so much wasted space below the screen to me.

Sony just released an official flashtool. Well a beta anyway.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/201...ocked-xperia-smartphones-video-beta-download/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=35096528#post35096528

Essentially it is an easy way for people to get back onto stock firmware and keep their bootloader unlocked. Eventually I think they will add support for all devices and flashing official firmware onto locked bootloaders, potentially they could add support for officially sanctioned AOSP projects like FXP and their own Xperia S 4.2 AOSP. I think that's why they have released the software, to pave the way for core users to take advantage of Sony's own AOSP efforts.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How long have you been using Android? The Menu button has been the bane of my existence in the early days. I never knew when to click it. Or if a different setting level would equate to new Menu content. You'd just never know until you tried it. It was a headache.

Good riddance. Now fix the Back button.

2.1. Even if it was problematic back then it never seemed to bother me enough to remember it being a problem.

Talon

My biggest problem with on screen buttons are that they don't seem to make bezels any smaller on the bottom of the phone. If the face of the phone at least on the bottom was non-existent, I would gladly welcome the on screen layout. The Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 have so much wasted space below the screen to me.
Does it occur to you that phones need the space to fit in everything?

Vanillalite

Google Official Blog

Google added communities to Google+... aka zzz nobody cares because it is G+.

That being said. Google also announced they got the popular iOS photo editing app SnapSeed ported to Android with built in G+ integration. Oh yeah and it is free thanks to Google!

Talon

That being said. Google also announced they got the popular iOS photo editing app SnapSeed ported to Android with built in G+ integration. Oh yeah and it is free thanks to Google!
The whole app went free on iOS, I imagine it's the same on Android. They sell filters and tools as IAP.

What flexibilty?

No they can't. They can dim, but they can't totally, physically disappear. Open the YouTube app on the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 or 7. Watch a video in landscape. The buttons completely go. You can't do that with any kind of physical or capacative buttons

Same as above.
True, they can dim, as I indicated below. This isn't a mark against onscreen buttons, it's just that they can deliver the same functionality

Doesn't really matter, because at the end of the day, you still have the same three buttons.
Actually from a usability perspective it does matter, especially on Tablets. Android is no longer just a phone OS. It's a small touch but a welcome one. There was an HTC device that did similar when you rotated the phone, I think the Incredible. It's much easier to achieve on software than hardware though

Which is essentially stupid, because on capacative buttons, it would've had it's own button anyways. There's no real difference.
It's not stupid and it is different. Have you seen what happens on an HTC One X in an app that uses the old legacy menu button, such as Facebook? It's horrible. And If you don't understand why they got rid of the menu button just read up on that link to the Android developer site. In general, most users didn't like it, it wasn't consistent in how it behaved and developers were hiding things in it which should have been exposed

You are missing the point. What if Google want to change the feel of Android again to keep it fresh? We all know how stale iOS looks. Being able to quickly change the font, or even the look of buttons is a part of that and having that functionality is a plus, not a minus

I'll give you that. But so far, non have really done that (there are some, I admit that).
Lots of custom roms give you the option, such as MoDaCo. You normally have to enable it under the settings. In his example you can get the search key back and have menu button on the left, or the right or both

Pretty useless imo.It is fairly useless in terms of changing colour, though again some custom roms will allow you to that. The visual feedback though is a nice, playful touch which adds to Android. Again a plus, certainly not a minus

Button space can be used more intuitively for gestures (see Google Now, drag up anywhere from virtual buttons to launch).
To some extent I agree with you. This could easily be done with a hold of the home button. It's pretty much the same thing.Long press is not as much fun as gestures. That's why swiping stuff is now prevalent in Android for deleting as opposed to long press. Again it's a small touch, but it's the combination of all the small touches which now makes Android the best phone OS on the market (imo)

The three dots are now the action overflow. You need to cast your mind back to the days of Gingerbread and Froyo, before the action bar came around, before there were design guidelines. The three dots are not a menu, they are an overflow. this link explains it http://android-developers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/say-goodbye-to-menu-button.html

As for physical space, when we get to the point that a screen can literally be the entire front of a phone (bar speaker and front facing cameras) then physical buttons will be eating up space that could be used by a screen. Within 1-2 years it will happen and Android will be ready for that. Software buttons are a way of future proofing the android ecosystem and hardware design.

Vanillalite

On a side note not that anyone actually uses G+ outside of Hangouts should Android-GAF create a G+ Community? LoL :p

Threi

notag
Does it occur to you that phones need the space to fit in everything?
Not to mention bezel is needed to...ya know...hold your phone properly.

Making the entire face of the phone a screen is a stupid idea and an ergonomic mess.

Hieberrr

What flexibilty?

No they can't. They can dim, but they can't totally, physically disappear. Open the YouTube app on the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 or 7. Watch a video in landscape. The buttons completely go. You can't do that with any kind of physical or capacative buttons

Same as above.
True, they can dim, as I indicated below. This isn't a mark against onscreen buttons, it's just that they can deliver the same functionality

Actually from a usability perspective it does matter, especially on Tablets. Android is no longer just a phone OS. It's a small touch but a welcome one. There was an HTC device that did similar when you rotated the phone, I think the Incredible. It's much easier to achieve on software than hardware though

It's not stupid and it is different. Have you seen what happens on an HTC One X in an app that uses the old legacy menu button, such as Facebook? It's horrible. And If you don't understand why they got rid of the menu button just read up on that link to the Android developer site. In general, most users didn't like it, it wasn't consistent in how it behaved and developers were hiding things in it which should have been exposed

You are missing the point. What if Google want to change the feel of Android again to keep it fresh? We all know how stale iOS looks. Being able to quickly change the font, or even the look of buttons is a part of that and having that functionality is a plus, not a minus

Lots of custom roms give you the option, such as MoDaCo. You normally have to enable it under the settings. In his example you can get the search key back and have menu button on the left, or the right or both

Pretty useless imo.It is fairly useless in terms of changing colour, though again some custom roms will allow you to that. The visual feedback though is a nice, playful touch which adds to Android. Again a plus, certainly not a minus

To some extent I agree with you. This could easily be done with a hold of the home button. It's pretty much the same thing.Long press is not as much fun as gestures. That's why swiping stuff is now prevalent in Android for deleting as opposed to long press. Again it's a small touch, but it's the combination of all the small touches which now makes Android the best phone OS on the market (imo)

The three dots are now the action overflow. You need to cast your mind back to the days of Gingerbread and Froyo, before the action bar came around, before there were design guidelines. The three dots are not a menu, they are an overflow. this link explains it http://android-developers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/say-goodbye-to-menu-button.html

As for physical space, when we get to the point that a screen can literally be the entire front of a phone (bar speaker and front facing cameras) then physical buttons will be eating up space that could be used by a screen. Within 1-2 years it will happen and Android will be ready for that. Software buttons are a way of future proofing the android ecosystem and hardware design.

Gingerbread on my Galaxy S (left), JB on my Nexus 4 (right). 3 dots = same thing as menu.

I do admit that for Gmail in GB, you had to press the menu button to compose mail and all that stuff, but Google could have easily implemented the compose, delete, etc... bar in the GB version. If you click menu in GB and then More, it gives you the same list as the three dots in JB do.

Toki767

Had my first Swiftkey Flow crash after an hour. The keyboard seemed to get stuck and wouldn't close so I had to restart my phone. Overall enjoying it though. I see what the reviewer meant by gesture typing its or it's and only getting is as a choice.

so who's creating the Neogaf Android Google+ community? It's kinda getting more popular, we should hop on that.

i mean there are 135 million people using the stream... that's growth at least.

Toki767

so who's creating the Neogaf Android Google+ community? It's kinda getting more popular, we should hop on that.

i mean there are 135 million people using the stream... that's growth at least.

The Google+ app is so slick compared to the Facebook one. It's a shame all my friends stuck with Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom