• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
First team to add gesture app switching and the like, to the soft key area, wins.

I want to be able to swipe right or left in that area to move between my most recent apps, like I can on my iPad using four finger swipes.

All manufacturers should be as supportive as Sony when it comes to dev support. Hope they keep it up.

They still need to offer a tool that lets you flash stock android on your xperia phone.

I'm in if you make it

dammnit i'm trying to pawn this off on someone else lol. I don't want to risk having to "maintain" it, because i'm sure to let you guys down, ha.

moving on.....

let's talk about next years flagship phone specs. what are the requirements, and what will we possibly see at CES, MWC, CTIA, and the like? Here's my list of must haves/gripes:

Screen -1080p RGB Stripe

(LCD or AMOLED, honestly i could be fine with either screen tech, although SLCD3 probably has a minor upper hand to me (except for maybe battery life and blacks))

Processor-S4 Pro or Tegra 4 Quad (w/ icera) or Exynos Quad

Honestly since Exynos has usually been the unstoppable beast once it gets going, i hope to probably just get an S4 or note 3 and use that. Either way, SoC vendors need to stop handing the cash over to Qualcomm by not being able to support LTE.

Storage - No microSD?32gb minimum - MicroSD?16gb minimum

This is a no brainer. Apps are getting bigger. we can't always use the cloud for everthing. You have to help us out on this one. I know carriers love to push their data networks to force you to pay up, but this is probably the biggest issue with phones today. You want to sell an 8GB version with no micro sd? fine, but at least give me the option of 32gb and 64gb.

RAM - 2GB minimum

Not really sure if mobile ram is ddr2 or 3 or what have you, and i'm not sure we need a speed increase, but better is welcome, as long as it doesn't affect my battery life, speaking of which...

Battery - 2500mAh minimum

I understand that there is a difference between battery life and battery capacity, as there are other factors such as software optimisations that can affect what your "mpg" might be. I'm willing to sacrifice thinner phones for better battery, but honestly not for phones like what HTC was offering 2 years ago, no more thick bricks. Hell, even the razr maxx and razr maxx hd are pretty thing. also, the GS3 has substantial battery and is thinner than the one x, that has a smaller capacity. so basically it's unibody because it's nice to look at it and it serves no other purpose. what good is form if it serves no purpose? and speaking of form

Size - 5" max for non-Note phones.

Bigger is better, to a point. i'm all for big phones, but going above 5 is just not feasible. Now if we are talking Note's? you know what you are getting yourself into, i mean it has a damn stylus. I can see the Note going up to 6", but beyond that, let's do a beta run with a Galaxy Tab 7 and give it wacom and phone guts and see how well that works. my guess is it won't, unless maybe the pen is a mic and a speaker as well ala the padfone 1.

WiFi/Bluetooth - Hi speed bluetooth 4.0 / MiMo WiFi

Miracast is going to get more play in the coming years (open standards that can rival mirroring from apple tv are ok in my book. can't wait to use it, just need the hardware to do so, they should also dump miracast support into any Google TV hardware, should be a mandate going forward

Other - On Screen buttons - Wireless Charging - RGB LED Notification light

even if you don't want to do "what papa says" you need to step up with the times. software keys work well and are extremely dynamic in my opinion. and the app UI's get a whole lot more cohesive when everyone plays by the same rules.

And let's all get behind Qi (Chee!) wireless charging, so we can be sold some good peripherals.

RGB LED notification light is simple, this should be in phones like vibrate or mp3 support, i mean cmon it's gotta be cheap to implement (i'm looking at you HTC and your half assed attempt to add the notification light to your phones)

Whatever manufacturers want to come up will be hyped and there will be pros and cons, but I hope we as consumers are offered choices for the specs that suit us best.

On a side note have you tried flashing a custom kernel with CM10 and changing the CPU Govenor to something CPU friendly? CM10 + Rohan's Kernel + Intellidemand (which is based off of ondemand) definitely helps give you a battery life boost.

Yeah tried Rohan Kernel, but It gave me stability issues. I am a flash addict, and it kinda getting tiring , thats why I want a new phone.

Right now I'm on cleanrom 5.1

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If the Nexus 5 doesn't have a 1080P screen, I will consider it a nonupgrade. I also expect premium, unibody construction. No more Samsung nonsense.

Honestly, if it were a Sony on steroids, I'd be happy. And no SD card, either. Though that's a given since Google aren't chumps.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If the Nexus 5 doesn't have a 1080P screen, I will consider it a nonupgrade. I also expect premium, unibody construction. No more Samsung nonsense.

Honestly, if it were a Sony on steroids, I'd be happy. And no SD card, either. Though that's a given since Google aren't chumps.

Being against sd card support is just laughably horrible.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Hey, Matias, the guy who thinks the Menu button is a good idea also thinks your SD card idea is laughably horrible http://androidcommunity.com/googles...s-lack-of-sd-cards-in-nexus-devices-20121030/

Yeah I read that last time you posted it and it is still just as horrible an argument. Arghhh sd card storage is confusing let's just eliminate them and also magically massively increase our profits per phone by charging large amounts for additional flash storage.

If sd card storage confuses you, don't use an sd card. It doesn't confuse me, so I will continue enjoying the ability to add 64gb of storage to my phone for $50.

Hieberrr

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah tried Rohan Kernel, but It gave me stability issues. I am a flash addict, and it kinda getting tiring , thats why I want a new phone.

That sucks. No issues here on CM10. Granted he has released 6 versions now, and I didn't try the earlier ones. Maybe those were more unstable, maybe my phone just didn't have as many issues with the clock speed/governor I chose, or maybe I just got lucky. :p

has cleanROM improved any?? i know it's a sense-based ROM which is why i have been refusing to go back to it. Sense does some things right, which only amplifies the things that they have done wrong, so it just infuriates me so much that i can't go back.

i was thirsting for AOSP by the time a stable build was ready.

still don't understand why they haven't attained S-ON yet. I know it doesn't really matter, but I would like to be able to flash complete packages instead of doing those things separately.

i dunno for my piece of mind. i think everyone just gave up and moved on to the S3 or X+

without going to look on XDA, wonder how similar the X+ firmware is to the int'l One X

i'm sure it's not like razr/razr maxx level of interchangeability (ie same phone) as far as ROM's go, but you'd think it would be close.

And by doing so, and by continuing with hardware keys failing to understand Duarte's vision for Android and the need for on screen keys. Samsung make hardware than has real power, but consistently fail in both design and software. But if the masses continue to lap it up, little will change.

is the problem *understanding* Duarte's vision? or believing in it? and after 4.2, how can ANYONE not have some doubts?

That sucks. No issues here on CM10. Granted he has released 6 versions now, and I didn't try the earlier ones. Maybe those were more unstable, maybe my phone just didn't have as many issues with the clock speed/governor I chose, or maybe I just got lucky. :p

Yeah I tried the earlier ones..
I gotten tired keeping track if the latest nightly will have issues with a different kernel or not. I actually was pleased with the battery life of the stable cm10.

Have you tried rohans aokp? Tried the earlier ones but it felt too bloated compare to cm10.

I left the on-screen buttons of my Galaxy Nexus for the hardware buttons of my Note II. I'm going to be honest here. The on-screen buttons created more problems than they solved. Even today, the vast majority of apps just don't have a clue what they are supposed to do with the on-screen buttons. Games don't hide them. Apps don't hide them. The only things which hide them are YouTube and video player apps which were updated like MX Player and the like. So the on-screen buttons sit there and use up screen real estate. This was especially infuriating in games, I don't need the goddamn buttons on the right side of my screen when I'm playing a game, but not one single game hides them. This is because if the game hid the buttons, how would you get back to the home screen from the game?

On the GNex, a phone with a Super AMOLED screen, within a few months I had ridiculous burn-in which caused the right edge of the full-screen video in the rare cases I got something to fill the screen to have different colors and brightness than the rest of the screen, because the on-screen keys were always there and never hidden. The on-screen buttons were slowly destroying my screen every day I used my phone.

The only difference between my Note II and my GNex is now I long press on the Verizon(tm) button for 2 seconds to bring up the multi-tasking menu. By having a hardware menu button, I avoid the ridiculous problems HTC has created for themselves by not having one. And I get to use my entire screen for content instead of wasting the bottom part of it on the on-screen buttons.

I love what Duarte has done for Android. Between Gingerbread and ICS/JB he has turned Android from a buggy, laggy pile of horseshit into the smoothest, fastest, most advanced smartphone OS available today. But the reality is that on-screen buttons just aren't as practical as hardware buttons. Even iPhone has a physical home button. Windows Phones have buttons. And yes, Android phones are better when they have buttons, assuming you aren't colossal fuckups like HTC.

can't really blame HTC, all HTC did was ~follow Duarte's Vision~ and the problem was the way that vision handled the menu/overflow in old apps. or maybe that was intended to shame the apps. i dunno..

Vanillalite

Yeah I tried the earlier ones..
I gotten tired keeping track if the latest nightly will have issues with a different kernel or not. I actually was pleased with the battery life of the stable cm10.

Have you tried rohans aokp? Tried the earlier ones but it felt too bloated compare to cm10.

I haven't tried it mainly because I wasn't really sure I needed the features. I wouldn't say it is bloated, but just over kill for me. AOKP seemed similar to CM, and I don't really need the Paranoid stuff.

Why did you switch to clean from CM if you thought CM had decent battery life which was one of your main issues?

How long have you been using Android? The Menu button has been the bane of my existence in the early days. I never knew when to click it. Or if a different setting level would equate to new Menu content. You'd just never know until you tried it. It was a headache.

Good riddance. Now fix the Back button.

i never knew when to click it... a few milliseconds later i would find out. then i always knew when to click it. i like having the overflow 3 dots though, saves me milliseconds by giving me a visual cue to know i can press my hardware menu button. Thanks DUARTE!

My biggest problem with on screen buttons are that they don't seem to make bezels any smaller on the bottom of the phone. If the face of the phone at least on the bottom was non-existent, I would gladly welcome the on screen layout. The Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 have so much wasted space below the screen to me.

yeah, if they want to do onscreen buttons, they should have a seperate mini-panel like in the Samsung Continuum.

Vxt75.jpg

I haven't tried it mainly because I wasn't really sure I needed the features. I wouldn't say it is bloated, but just over kill for me. AOKP seemed similar to CM, and I don't really need the Paranoid stuff.

Why did you switch to clean from CM if you thought CM had decent battery life which was one of your main issues?

I didn't really switch, I have a back up of both and I go back and forth between the two.
Cleanrom if I'm going somewhere and need the reliability, battery life and better camera. CM10 when I just want smoothness.

Hey, Matias, the guy who thinks the Menu button is a good idea also thinks your SD card idea is laughably horrible http://androidcommunity.com/googles...s-lack-of-sd-cards-in-nexus-devices-20121030/

i don't even care about the arguments anymore, just keep letting JBQ press the button to release the source and other people will fix Android into a workable OS for the non-masses. let the randoms have their streamlined garbage no SD card sealed battery PREMIUM FEEL shitty non-durable hardware and software combinations.

Android.

i don't even care about the arguments anymore, just keep letting JBQ press the button to release the source and other people will fix Android into a workable OS for the non-masses. let the randoms have their streamlined garbage no SD card sealed battery PREMIUM FEEL shitty non-durable hardware and software combinations.

Android.

Is this a joke post?

So If it's not been made already, I'll make the NeoGaf android community. Means when Gaffers are banned they can still contribute [cough]Copernicus[/cough]

I didn't really switch, I have a back up of both and I go back and forth between the two.
Cleanrom if I'm going somewhere and need the reliability, battery life and better camera. CM10 when I just want smoothness.

do you use TiBU between those two ROMS? Or do you take the time to redownload apps and such??

sometimes i'll roll with like 10 apps max

and other times i have like 40 different apps on my phone.

thing is, i never use them anyway.

Cipherr

I disagree with people about the onscreen buttons and bezel space. The GalNexus has a small area below the actual screen. If they put capacitive keys there, it would be an uncomfortable area to try and hit for 'Home' 'Back' and multitasking.

Its not bezelless, but its clearly smaller in area than it would be if they needed to put keys down there.

Vanillalite

Interesting. I haven't tried Clean ROM, but CM10 has been as reliable as Stock Sense for me. Granted I jumped in on CM10 when it went Stable and have been on the nightlies since then. Plus I get decent battery life.

I haven't taken enough new pics to really tell if the camera is that big of a downgrade. Supposedly there was a video taking bug that had this weird audio whirring glitch, but a nightly just fixed that. I mainly take pics over video anyways.

RayStorm

Not to mention bezel is needed to...ya know...hold your phone properly.

Making the entire face of the phone a screen is a stupid idea and an ergonomic mess.

Only if the whole screen area would be touch-sensitive. If it weren't you could enjoy a bigger screen for videos/surfing/notifications while not having to worry about an ergonomic mess.

On another note: I don't get the use of on screen buttons, if they are glorified hardware-buttons, that never alter their appearance/functionality. And that seems to be the case for the most part.

I get that it's a source of frustration about the 16GB being the Maximum, but if it that were fixed (ie have a 32 or 64gb version) then surely the stuff about the glass back and battery would suddenly be a lot less gripe worthy, right?
nope.

Only if the whole screen area would be touch-sensitive. If it weren't you could enjoy a bigger screen for videos/surfing/notifications while not having to worry about an ergonomic mess.

On another note: I don't get the use of on screen buttons, if they are glorified hardware-buttons, that never alter their appearance/functionality. And that seems to be the case for the most part.
bu-bu-bu-bu-but when the SWKB is up, the back button changes to a down arrow!!!

Android.
BRAVO!!

do you use TiBU between those two ROMS? Or do you take the time to redownload apps and such??

sometimes i'll roll with like 10 apps max

and other times i have like 40 different apps on my phone.

thing is, i never use them anyway.

I use TiBU pro which makes getting my apps back very convenient, just use batch recover missing apps.

But both CM10 and CleanRom now automatically redownload the apps when you sign on to your google acct.

The way I usually go back and forth from the two rom is that i just backup/restore on TWRP.

When I ran CM10 on both GS3 and One X..they pretty much function the same, but I liked the screen of the One X way better, so it became my go to phone.

The thing I learned from being a flash addict is that it doesn't matter how much different custom ROMs available for a certain phone, its all about the quality of the ROM and the ones that develope them. Most ROMs are usually just re skinned copycat of one another anyways.

Interesting. I haven't tried Clean ROM, but CM10 has been as reliable as Stock Sense for me. Granted I jumped in on CM10 when it went Stable and have been on the nightlies since then. Plus I get decent battery life.

I haven't taken enough new pics to really tell if the camera is that big of a downgrade. Supposedly there was a video taking bug that had this weird audio whirring glitch, but a nightly just fixed that. I mainly take pics over video anyways.

I use Nova launcher pro so both feels almost the same.

CleanRom is my go to ROM if I know that I need my phone to be stable and don't have time to mess around with it...ex. like when I'm out with the ladies and I need to take pictures with them, and then text my friends the picture for they can envy me....

BRAVO!!

I use TiBU pro which makes getting my apps back very convenient, just use batch recover missing apps.

But both CM10 and CleanRom now automatically redownload the apps when you sign on to your google acct.

The way I usually go back and forth from the two rom is that i just backup/restore on TWRP.

When I ran CM10 on both GS3 and One X..they pretty much function the same, but I liked the screen of the One X way better, so it became my go to phone.

The thing I learned from being a flash addict is that it doesn't matter how much different custom ROMs available for a certain phone, its all about the quality of the ROM and the ones that develope them. Most ROMs are usually just re skinned copycat of one another anyways.

CleanRom is my go to ROM if I know that I need my phone to be stable and don't have time to mess around with it...ex. like when I'm out with the ladies and I need to take pictures with them, and then text my friends the picture for they can envy me....

i just switched from Apex to Nova because Apex was getting very slow on me. started lagging out, wasn't smooth from screen to screen.

I think the same might be starting to happen to Nova. Do I load up the pages with too many widgets? shouldn't these launchers be able to run this way? Not sure what's wrong, but i'm waiting for AOKP 4.2 to drop, so I can flash a new ROM and a new kernel, and will re-evaluate from there

....... Honestly the 4.2 over reaction... You'd think shit was Vista or something.

seriously right. you don't like lockscreen widgets so the whole update sucks i guess. camera and google apps all got updated for it, squashed some bugs. We are getting there folks. They probably need to optimize the project butter code after they make changes to everything...hopefully KLP will be smooth and functional, and they'll fix a lot of the complaints from 4.2.

That bold and non-bold clock shit does bother me a little. It doesn't even look artsy. it looks like someone forgot to leave the bold setting on or turn it off. It's why it's never been tried before.

Just when I thought I would get an S4 and call it a day, HTC coming out with some phone that sounds like its giving samsung a run for its money

aluminum unibody; 5", 1080p, s4 pro... i wonder if there are any surprises it will have that will make it seem truly next gen. i hope they improve the wifi (please use mimo, and please make it so i stop disconnecting, and so it automatically reconnects when in range and my wifi has already been on for hours.)

if samsung could just change the materials it uses. saw a blue galaxy s3 in person yesterday and was surprised at how shitty it looked. i'm pretty sure i've seen this phone in person before and didn't mind the design, but damn the blue on this one was just super weird and faded. couldn't have been a different sku could it? i think it was a t-mo version.

oh also, as soon as t-mo turns on it's LTE in So Cal i might be jumping from AT&T. Need cheap plans.

tino

Banned
People with virtual button phones, does the virtual button do this: when a back button press will bring you to home screen instead of the previous app, it would give a virtual cue on the back button itself to inform you before you press it.

I only have one device with virtual buttons so I don't know if any custom rom implement this feature. My point is, if the virtual buttons can't even do that, why the hell do I need virtual button? Android 4's implementation of virtual button is primative to the max.

By putting virtual buttons on the UI, you take away muscle memory, which is a very powerful aide to help you get the job done fast (without looking). That's a lot of sacrifice for something that give you so little benefit.

Image if you buy a new camera, that the shuttle button is not always in the same place, it moves depend on that context. Do you really want to use a camera like that? Some of these UI designers has not thought this through. And some of you people have no idea what ergonomic is.

Just when I thought I would get an S4 and call it a day, HTC coming out with some phone that sounds like its giving samsung a run for its money

aluminum unibody; 5", 1080p, s4 pro... i wonder if there are any surprises it will have that will make it seem truly next gen. i hope they improve the wifi (please use mimo, and please make it so i stop disconnecting, and so it automatically reconnects when in range and my wifi has already been on for hours.)

if samsung could just change the materials it uses. saw a blue galaxy s3 in person yesterday and was surprised at how shitty it looked. i'm pretty sure i've seen this phone in person before and didn't mind the design, but damn the blue on this one was just super weird and faded. couldn't have been a different sku could it? i think it was a t-mo version.

oh also, as soon as t-mo turns on it's LTE in So Cal i might be jumping from AT&T. Need cheap plans.

so get the HTC phone. why do you need Samsung to change their philosophy to a model that doesn't seem to be gaining traction with consumers? what's wrong with just getting the HTC unibody sealed battery no sd card phone? it makes sense, i swear.

Vanillalite

BRAVO!!

Thing is I've been doing that now with CM10. It's my daily driver and I text and call and mms my friends, family, and my gf with no preceivable issues.

I just switched from the stable kernel of CM10 to Rohan's kernel b6 though. So I guess it's yet to be seen how stable this is. I switched governor's too from the stock to on his recommendation via tweeting back and forth.

Thing is I've been doing that now with CM10. It's my daily driver and I text and call and mms my friends, family, and my gf with no preceivable issues.

I just switched from the stable kernel of CM10 to Rohan's kernel b6 though. So I guess it's yet to be seen how stable this is. I switched governor's too from the stock to on his recommendation via tweeting back and forth.

I'll probably try out the rohan's kernel b6 then. What governor you put it on?

For me when all the 5 inch phones come out next year, the most important things to me will be battery and size.

Sony will win on size, no way HTC and Samsung will be able to fit their stuff in a body the size of the rumoured Odin. As for battery, that's anyone's guess. It's also a damn shame that samsung uses pentile screens. It's crazy how much better the HTC phones look. Very noticeable. The Nex4 screen is noticeably better as well.

It's going to be interesting to see which manufacturer manages to not only strike the best balance of battery/size/other(screen, materials, etc...) and manages to release in a timely fashion on all carriers. Not sure which I hold over others, battery is definitely my top 2 pre-reqs. 2013 is going to be interesting.

/random thoughts.

Duarte is not some kind of infallible God. I disagree with him about the on-screen buttons and I disagree with him about microSD cards. That doesn't mean I don't love what he has done with Android. But other manufacturers are free to use on-screen buttons and sealed batteries and no expandable storage. It just means they will keep committing market suicide while everyone else who likes flexibility continues to buy Samsung.

Duarte is not some kind of infallible God. I disagree with him about the on-screen buttons and I disagree with him about microSD cards. That doesn't mean I don't love what he has done with Android. But other manufacturers are free to use on-screen buttons and sealed batteries and no expandable storage. It just means they will keep committing market suicide while everyone else who likes flexibility continues to buy Samsung.

on point!!

glad sumsung knows whats up.

Vanillalite

jbg6xFiRL4nNew.jpg

One of my crew just texted me this. Just got his nexus 4 in today. I was surprised he got one. He said ordering was a bitch.

gcubed

To think the millions of people who buy Samsung phones do so because of removable batteries and expandable storage is a ludicrous position

To think the millions of people who buy Samsung phones do so because of removable batteries and expandable storage is a ludicrous position

It's amazing how the hardcore (and I include myself in that) tend to think our needs and wants should be at the centre of the android universe.

so get the HTC phone. why do you need Samsung to change their philosophy to a model that doesn't seem to be gaining traction with consumers? what's wrong with just getting the HTC unibody sealed battery no sd card phone? it makes sense, i swear.

what i'm saying here is that despite the looks i will probably be getting the samsung phone, especially if no sd card in the htc m7.

also will await details of any locked bootloaders

Cipherr

On the flip side, to pretend that those things aren't a part of a larger whole; a mass of smaller things if you will, that actually does create the reason Samsungs phones outsell the others is ludicrous as well.

These devices and their functions are on the whole; very similar. It tends to be a collection of smaller things along with marketing that gives one the edge over the other. Lets not forget how it wasnt that long ago that HTC led the Android pack.

For me when all the 5 inch phones come out next year, the most important things to me will be battery and size.

Sony will win on size, no way HTC and Samsung will be able to fit their stuff in a body the size of the rumoured Odin. As for battery, that's anyone's guess. It's also a damn shame that samsung uses pentile screens. It's crazy how much better the HTC phones look. Very noticeable. The Nex4 screen is noticeably better as well.

It's going to be interesting to see which manufacturer manages to not only strike the best balance of battery/size/other(screen, materials, etc...) and manages to release in a timely fashion on all carriers. Not sure which I hold over others, battery is definitely my top 2 pre-reqs. 2013 is going to be interesting.

/random thoughts.

why would you doubt Samsung when they have constantly shown they can pack everything into a phone in the same size that others have to use unibody with no sd and no battery just to match?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom