• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duarte is not some kind of infallible God. I disagree with him about the on-screen buttons and I disagree with him about microSD cards. That doesn't mean I don't love what he has done with Android. But other manufacturers are free to use on-screen buttons and sealed batteries and no expandable storage. It just means they will keep committing market suicide while everyone else who likes flexibility continues to buy Samsung.
you are some kind of God, i agree with you on Duarte. well, maybe we agree, what do you think about his outfits? i think his pimp hand is strong when it comes to attire.

To think the millions of people who buy Samsung phones do so because of removable batteries and expandable storage is a ludicrous position
to think it isn't a factor is equally so.

you are some kind of God, i agree with you on Duarte. well, maybe we agree, what do you think about his outfits? i think his pimp hand is strong when it comes to attire.

to think it isn't a factor is equally so.
come on. The SD card isn't a factor. It, at best, is only a factor to the savvy type crowd which is a far minority of galaxy owners.

Samsung sells a shitton because their marketing is astronomic and they are in every carrier. Follow that with a solid product and that's all you need. Apple sells more iPhones overall and it doesn't have any of that, so you can argue more people don't want added storage.

In the end it's a false equivalency or whatever you want to call it. The more tech savvy people might prefer it, some don't care, whereas it's safe to say the majority or casual phone buyers probably don't know and don't give a shit.

Wrong. Certainly on the removable batteries. Also on the storage. Because both those factors have tremendously damaged iPhone sales.

Anyway... communities is live on Google +!

So I can edit the picture and what not, but I've thrown something together for now.

Join up!

NeoGaf Meet Android on Google +

come on. The SD card isn't a factor. It, at best, is only a factor to the savvy type crowd which is a far minority of galaxy owners.

Samsung sells a shitton because their marketing is astronomic and they are in every carrier. Follow that with a solid product and that's all you need. Apple sells more iPhones overall and it doesn't have any of that, so you can argue more people don't want added storage.

In the end it's a false equivalency or whatever you want to call it. The more tech savvy people might prefer it, some don't care, whereas it's safe to say the majority or casual phone buyers probably don't know and don't give a shit.

but that was never an option for the iPhone. it's no coincidence that these other guys are selling less and less while Samsung is selling more and more as they remove options and Samsung stays the course. They, like you, applied the false logic that "it works for Apple and their iOS device, thus it works for my Android device" and failed.

And like I said, it's more because samsung is literally THE SINGLE ONLY manufacturer selling on all carriers and has marketing that matches apples in terms of being everywhere all the time.

That's the difference. HTC can't do it to save their lives and their marketing is non-existent. Sony always late, also no marketing, at least not in NA. Samsung is the only one doing that stuff. I mean look at web traffic stats, until recently samsung was being dominated on apple on phone web traffic. Casual buyers aren't even using their phone to use the internet, casual buyers just don't do much with their phones so it doesn't matter to them.

There isn't another single manufacturer that is able to release + market their product as effectively as samsung, so until someone does that, there is nothing to compare it to on the android side. HTC has wayyyyyy more problems than not including sd storage. You think if they did suddenly they'd sell notably more? It's all small potatoes.

but that was never an option for the iPhone. it's no coincidence that these other guys are selling less and less while Samsung is selling more and more as they remove options and Samsung stays the course. They, like you, applied the false logic that "it works for Apple and their iOS device, thus it works for my Android device" and failed.

No, you applied the false logic that the masses care about removable batteries and expandable storage. They don't care about removable batteries and some people like the idea of expandable storage, but only if the internal memory isn't large enough to store what they want. It might be anecdotal but I sell phones for a living (well my team does). The vast majority of people don't care about expandable storage, just that they have enough room to store photos and some music. It's nowhere near as big a buying decision as you are trying to make out. The hardcore care though, and unsurprisingly the hardcore are always the most vocal. I'm not saying that I particularly agree with Android having no expandable storage on Nexus devices, but the Nexus brand is no longer the preserve of developers and tech geeks. With the Nexus 7 and now the Nexus 4, Google are going after the mainstream.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Following in pursuit of those HTC Rumors yesterday we now have this on GL Benchmark...

GL Benchmark

LG-E940

It appears to be a 1080p phone running some multicore arch @ 1.5ghz. Curiously it's only running Android 4.1.2. Surprised since LG is making the current Nexus model that this new device doesn't also have 4.2. Also I wonder if it's skinned? What is LG's Skin even called?

Following in pursuit of those HTC Rumors yesterday we now have this on GL Benchmark...

GL Benchmark

LG-E940

It appears to be a 1080p phone running some multicore arch @ 1.5ghz. Curiously it's only running Android 4.1.2. Surprised since LG is making the current Nexus model that this new device doesn't also have 4.2. Also I wonder if it's skinned? What is LG's Skin even called?

Optimus UI

6.1" Phones are here

Huawei Senior Vice President Yu Chengdong (yes, that is his real name) has confirmed the Huawei Ascend Mate — the one we told you about back in October – will be launching early next year with the aforementioned 6.1 inch 1080p full HD display, 2GB of RAM, a high capacity 4,000mAh batter, and 1.8GHz quad-core processor. All of this in a slim 9.9mm thin package (by comparison the Galaxy Note 2 comes in at 9.4mm). In order to get a better feel for the competition in terms of user experience, Chengdong has been using both the Mate and the Galaxy Note 2 as his daily drivers.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Huawei-Ascend-mate-6.1-inch-Full-HD-Phablet.jpg

lmaooooooo

Blow my mind, Huawei

tino

Banned
Well Huawei tweeted about the spec before.

BUT! It kind of remind me of the Dell Streak :(

... Yu Chengdong (yes, that is his real name)...

I don't understand this comment. Is this name supposed to be a pun or something?

Let's see if Huawei is actually going to compete on software with Samsung and if they will also include a stylus with that thing. The DROID DNA is proof that a big phone is just a big phone. The Note series are much more than just phones, they add immense value through the stylus and the TouchWiz features.

why would you doubt Samsung when they have constantly shown they can pack everything into a phone in the same size that others have to use unibody with no sd and no battery just to match?
This is a something that a lot of people don't realize about Samsung. People harp on the plastic shell on Samsung devices but nobody is better on internal hardware design than Samsung are. The Note II has a removable battery that is 50% bigger than the DROID DNA's sealed battery, it has a microSD slot, it has a 0.5" bigger screen, it has space to store a stylus in it's shell, and yet the DNA is actually thicker than the Note II. The wonderful High-Tech Computer Corporation.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That phone looks sweet.

As for the SD and battery comments, look, the S3 might have those. But if it didn't, it wouldn't matter. It would still sell like crazy. People don't care about that stuff, for the most part. See the iPhone, whose top selling model is the lowest storage one. Your wants and needs are different than the general public. And let's face it: Android's future is going to model Apple more and more.

I also don't think Matias is infallible but he sees Android as more consumer friendly than most here. You might think SD cards aren't confusing but they are. Maybe if Android only allowed media to be stored on there, things would be better. As is, apps and whatever else stick random data in there. It's just one more thing to think about that I shouldn't need to.

I'm not saying get rid of those things completely. I'm saying the face of Android (a Nexus phone) shouldn't have those things.

Just got an android phone, I saw a link earlier in the thread to app and widget recommendations days ago, does anyone have that handy?

So then, what's in the code that's not in this list? A lot. For starters, there's some "beta" stuff that I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed to play with.

Reply To SMS With Voice
There are 3 new files that end with the word "beta." These all have to do with a "handsfree" mode, and there are a few new string entries that give us an idea of what's cooking.
So it sounds like there will be a mode that will take over SMS notifications. The description only states that it will "handle SMS by voice." It shows commands for replying by voice, and I would imagine that means reading texts out loud as well. This will probably be a toggle-able thing for driving. Can anyone get this to work now?

Contact Birthdays
The What's New list mentions "birthdays" but that's rather ambiguous. It has shown your birthday for a while, but now it shows your contact's birthdays, too.

Facebook/Twitter
Facebook doesn't work, but Twitter does!

It seems to only post the first part of your message for right now. This will also only work with the official Twitter app. I only had Falcon installed originally, and it gave me the "Can't post to this social network from this device" message.

Android@Home
Yes, you heard right, Android@Home is back from the dead. There's a new file called "at_home_card.xml" and a few new strings that have to do with home automation.
So I guess the plan is, you go buy one of the smart light bulbs they showed off a million years ago, and when you're at home, you'll have a Google Now card pop up that will let you control your lights. It would be a little dumb to have an app just for light bulbs, but a Now card would be perfect. Now if only they would actually release this stuff.
And yes, this is really Android@Home; the code is full of "com.android.athome" references.

Play Store Ratings?
There is a new file called "play_store_rating_bar.xml" and image files for the stars you would normally use to rate Play Store apps. Any idea why this would be here? Maybe one day Now will remind you to review recently installed apps. That would be handy. [Note from Cameron: Or annoying.]

Google Goggles Has Moved
If you thought the new camera search functionality was a lot like Google Goggles, you aren't alone. All the image search stuff is actually referred to as "goggles" in the app, so my guess is that the standalone version is going away. Just like the @home light bulbs, having an app just for image scanning is pretty lame. I welcome the convergence - it is a search, after all.

+ some stuff on Glass

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...acebook-twitter-an-androidhome-card-and-more/

Android Police once again with some actual journalism. why is it always them?

Just got an android phone, I saw a link earlier in the thread to app and widget recommendations days ago, does anyone have that handy?

well, you can just ask about apps here and we'll answer, just ask about what kind of apps or functions, and you can also ask in the Apps for Android thread, and the OP of that thread also has a link to the PlayBoard app, which is an app recommendation and discovery app and that has a bunch of our favorite apps listed with descriptions and screenshots and Play Store download links so you can browse thru and install the apps right from your phone.

well, you can just ask about apps here and we'll answer, just ask about what kind of apps or functions, and you can also ask in the Apps for Android thread, and the OP of that thread also has a link to the PlayBoard app, which is an app recommendation and discovery app and that has a bunch of our favorite apps listed with descriptions and screenshots and Play Store download links so you can browse thru and install the apps right from your phone.

This is what I needed. Other than that I'll definitely ask, thanks!

Toki767

I had no clue Google Now's voice search worked for posting to Twitter. Thought it was only for Google+ but it's cool that Twitter works too. Hopefully Facebook works down the line.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so I'm using go sms, and I accidentally put a number on the blacklist. how do fuck do I remove it? I've searched for options in the menu settings but either I'm blind or this app doesn't have manage blacklist option.

ok nevermind, found it.

RayStorm

I also don't think Matias is infallible but he sees Android as more consumer friendly than most here. You might think SD cards aren't confusing but they are. Maybe if Android only allowed media to be stored on there, things would be better. As is, apps and whatever else stick random data in there. It's just one more thing to think about that I shouldn't need to.

I, and I would presume most people, want it for their music, their pictures, their videos and perhaps things like downloaded maps. I never spent a second thinking about what any app puts on it. I don't think many people do.

I think you are only confused by this, because you know too much and thus think about things the general public or even many enthusiasts don't consider at all.

tino

Banned
Wait, its still called Butterfly? So HTC isn't bother with the One brand anymore?

I am back to completely confused by the HTC mid and low tier phone names again.

JordanKZ

What on Earth would they call it? X is kind of the technological 'defacto' for the high end product. The DNA/Butterfly is even higher end... X2? Y'know, just to confuse people more.

B-but, what about Matias's Vision?! What will we do now now that HTC has sullied it?! All those poor people who buy this phone will be so confused by the additional external storage option!

Honestly, you are starting to get a bit over dramatic now. You may not agree with his decision on micro SD cards (I understand his logic, but I'd prefer a choice). But his reason was reasonably sound for the average consumer.

Duarte said:
"Everybody likes the idea of having an SD card, but in reality it’s just confusing for users. If you’re saving photos, videos or music, where does it go? Is it on your phone? Or on your card? Should there be a setting? Prompt every time? What happens to the experience when you swap out the card? It’s just too complicated. We take a different approach. Your Nexus has a fixed amount of space and your apps just seamlessly use it for you without you ever having to worry about files or volumes or any of that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing. With a Nexus you know exactly how much storage you get upfront and you can decide what’s the right size for you. That’s simple and good for users."

That logic makes complete sense to me. As a power user, the micro SD card is something which is neither confusing nor complicated, and personally I'd prefer the choice. But for the average consumer it can be more complicated. I work in a job where from time to time people do get confused about where there pictures or music are stored, particularly when they need to return a phone for whatever reason. And sometimes that means digging around in a file manager to see where stuff is. Which is time consuming and frustrating (for me, never mind the customer). Honestly you'd be amazed at the amount of people who use smartphones who know very little about technology. There are whole generations out there who barely know how to operate computers. And even when you tell them simply to bluetooth music and pictures to their new phone you get blank looks. Don't even get me started on POS that is Kies. My only gripe with Nexus devices is the lack of internal storage. At the very least there should be a 32gig variant. The main vent of frustration with Android users looking to purchase a Nexus isn't necessarily the lack of a micro SD card, it's the lack of internal space that would be alleviated with a micro SD card. Release a Nexus with 64gb and there would still be a few people who would complain, but the chatter would be much smaller. This is all about moving Android from the sphere of "Android is for geeks and too complicated", to "Android is fun and simple to use". Yes the hardcore may not like it, but it's a step which had to be taken. People get way too emotional about stuff like this, when the decision is a logical one, based on scientific studies of customer behaviour and not just random people spouting off on Internet message boards.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
HTC Butterfly announced for Europe, with SD card slot.

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-butterfly/#specs

slide-5.png

But goddaamn at that Huawei, will it ever stop :(

I'll wait till CES and then I'll fucking choose something for christ sakes

I think this is for the Chinese market, looking at the HSPA bands. Most Euro phones would be 1900/2100 (or quadband). Even still, the phone says "Taipei", and HTC always used "London" to signify a phone for the European market.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Did that set up...let see how it goes.

On a side note after checking my pics making sure they posted last night I noticed I forgot to toggle the set on boot. So yeah if you don't go back in and click the set on boot the values are going to revert to stock if/when you reboot. :p

So I assume you downloaded the new version 6 verses your old version? You can only use this on the CM Rom though right? Doesn't Clean ROM being Sense based need a Sense Kernel? How does that work when you want to switch between the two ROMs?

HTC Butterfly announced for Europe, with SD card slot.

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-butterfly/#specs

slide-5.png

But goddaamn at that Huawei, will it ever stop :(

I'll wait till CES and then I'll fucking choose something for christ sakes

but does it have LTE?? i don't mean officially. I mean like the Nexus 4

maybe the Nexus 4 only has LTE (for band 4) because it was using basically the same exact innards as the Optimus G

so this butterfly probably doesn't have it.

Cipherr

You guys aren't going to have this dramatic slap-fight every time a phone with or without a SD card ships right? That would get old, fast.

On a side note after checking my pics making sure they posted last night I noticed I forgot to toggle the set on boot. So yeah if you don't go back in and click the set on boot the values are going to revert to stock if/when you reboot. :p

So I assume you downloaded the new version 6 verses your old version? You can only use this on the CM Rom though right? Doesn't Clean ROM being Sense based need a Sense Kernel? How does that work when you want to switch between the two ROMs?

Didn't work for me with the latest cm10 nightly... I was getting force reboot.

Maybe cause I didn't do a clean install.

I'm able to switch back and forth between cm10 and cleanrom because I have a back up of each one.

VoxPop

Debating whether to go the iPhone and Nexus 7 route or Android phone and iPad Mini route. I do want to somehow maintain all the iOS apps and absolutely need the group chatting/imessages on iOS. But I also wish iOS had a better integration of Google Talk. Trying to decide what's more important lol. Really hate the separate text for everything when all my friends have a group chat going on iOS. But I also hate the delay with Beejive when using Google Talk.

gcubed

now its just gotten silly and i can't tell if you're being serious.

Debating whether to go the iPhone and Nexus 7 route or Android phone and iPad Mini route. I do want to somehow maintain all the iOS apps and absolutely need the group chatting/imessages on iOS. But I also wish iOS had a better integration of Google Talk. Trying to decide what's more important lol. Really hate the separate text for everything when all my friends have a group chat going on iOS. But I also hate the delay with Beejive when using Google Talk.
android phone and ipad mini, the mini is fantastic and android phones are grrrrrrrrreat.

ZZMitch

Holy Shit I cannot stand my phone anymore. My Galaxy S2 has literally been restarting itself every five minutes for the past few weeks. It is infuriating. There doesn't seem to be any reliable fix either. And to top it off whenever it restarts the battery magically loses 40% or so of it's charge and then the battery level starts climbing, so weird. Does anyone know of anything I can do? If I can't solve this problem today I am done with the phone, it sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom