• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

Debating whether to go the iPhone and Nexus 7 route or Android phone and iPad Mini route. I do want to somehow maintain all the iOS apps and absolutely need the group chatting/imessages on iOS. But I also wish iOS had a better integration of Google Talk. Trying to decide what's more important lol. Really hate the separate text for everything when all my friends have a group chat going on iOS. But I also hate the delay with Beejive when using Google Talk.
Android phone, ipad mini.

Holy Shit I cannot stand my phone anymore. My Galaxy S2 has literally been restarting itself every five minutes for the past few weeks. It is infuriating. There doesn't seem to be any reliable fix either. And to top it off whenever it restarts the battery magically loses 40% or so of it's charge and then the battery level starts climbing, so weird. Does anyone know of anything I can do? If I can't solve this problem today I am done with the phone, it sucks.
Are you running a custom? :S could also be your battery.

Holy Shit I cannot stand my phone anymore. My Galaxy S2 has literally been restarting itself every five minutes for the past few weeks. It is infuriating. There doesn't seem to be any reliable fix either. And to top it off whenever it restarts the battery magically loses 40% or so of it's charge and then the battery level starts climbing, so weird. Does anyone know of anything I can do? If I can't solve this problem today I am done with the phone, it sucks.

Root and put CM on there. Boom, like a whole new phone.

No just stock ICS. I just did a factory reset, will see if that help.

Maybe, I have never been much into the whole rooting aspect though. LauncherPro has given me enough customization options really.

The factory reset should help, but honestly CM is really nice. I think you'd prefer it over stock Touchwiz. The Galaxy S2 has been out for a while now so there should some fairly easy tools to help you root should you go down that road.

Al-ibn Kermit

I had the same problem with the same phone, turns out the battery was dying.

To test this, take your battery out, lay it flat on a table, and try to spin it. If it spins easily, then it has a bump meaning the battery is burst.

In that case, the only thing you can do is not a new one. It's a lot cheaper to buy one online than in a store.

ZZMitch

I had the same problem with the same phone, turns out the battery was dying.

To test this, take your battery out, lay it flat on a table, and try to spin it. If it spins easily, then it has a bump meaning the battery is burst.

In that case, the only thing you can do is not a new one. It's a lot cheaper to buy one online than in a store.

Alright thanks, if it starts happening again after this factory reset then I will look into getting a new battery.

The factory reset should help, but honestly CM is really nice. I think you'd prefer it over stock Touchwiz. The Galaxy S2 has been out for a while now so there should some fairly easy tools to help you root should you go down that road.

I'll look into this too, thanks.

hodgy100

I'm looking for a cheap android tablet (£100) for my parents as a Christmas present. they don't need anything overly powerful just enough for web browsing and maybe playing videos on their tv so something with a dual core will probably be more than enough power

Iv'e found this one: link
and i was wandering if anyone has any experience with it or if they have a better recontamination.

Posted this a couple of days ago and never got a reply.
Has anyone got any hints?

Doopliss

That's normal when your phone crashes. It's just the power management chip reporting the charge incorrectly. It'll return to the correct value on its own after a while (the ticking up). That in itself doesn't indicate that there's anything wrong with the battery, but I suppose the battery could still be the cause of the crashes.

ZZMitch

If its less a year, ask Samsung to replace it. Battery goes bust in a year is unacceptable.

It has been more than a year I got it in September of 2011 I believe. I might be eligible for an upgrade actually, maybe I will look into just getting a new phone heh.

That's normal when your phone crashes. It's just the power management chip reporting the charge incorrectly. It'll return to the correct value on its own after a while (the ticking up). That in itself doesn't indicate that there's anything wrong with the battery, but I suppose the battery could still be the cause of the crashes.

That makes sense actually. Thanks for the info!

I know it's £60 more expensive, but you should get them a Nexus 7. Maybe that isn't the answer you want to hear, but their experience will be so much better and future proofed. I wouldn't touch a no-name brand with a barge pole. I don't even trust those reviews.

tino

Banned

I got a Galaxy tab 2.0 7" for $150, you can get a Lenovo 7" android 4.0tablet (a1107?) for the same amunt or a first gen android 2.3 Lenovo 7" tablet (A1?) for cheaper.

ZZMitch

I read somewhere that not having an SD card could cause this issue? Any merit to that you think? I haven't used an SD card in my phone for a while.

hodgy100

I got a Galaxy tab 2.0 7" for $150, you can get a Lenovo 7" android 4.0tablet (a1107?) for the same amunt or a first gen android 2.3 Lenovo 7" tablet (A1?) for cheaper.

Thanks for the help but unfortunately $150 somehow translates to £200! The older Levono doesn't seem to be easy to get hold of.

I'm only looking for something like th BlackBerry play book which is in my price range and has the specs I'd like to see.but with android installed, in suprised its hard to find something like that

tino

Banned
Thanks for the help but unfortunately $150 somehow translates to £200! The older Levono doesn't seem to be easy to get hold of.

I'm only looking for something like th BlackBerry play book which is in my price range and has the specs I'd like to see.but with android installed, in suprised its hard to find something like that

I just checked ebay UK, yeah whats up with you guys tablet price.

I would get a Nook Color, or Nook Tablet if you want to go cheaper than the Lenovo 7" tablet. Don't bother with the Blackberry.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Android Police really is a great website. They don't just pluck other websites' information. They actually make their own stories. They're now my go to Android site.

Action launcher looks pretty sweet anyone using it? Better than launcher pro?

I think action launcher is a really interesting idea. The only thing lacking right now is the the volume of customisation options you can find in launcher pro and nova launcher. I think with a little bit more development it'll be one of the best launchers available on the play store.

ZZMitch

I think action launcher is a really interesting idea. The only thing lacking right now is the the volume of customisation options you can find in launcher pro and nova launcher. I think with a little bit more development it'll be one of the best launchers available on the play store.

Yeah I really like the look of it. I looks well suited to me since I like simple and quick interfaces. I only have 1 homescreen for example.

In regards to my issues with the S2, I am pretty sure it is a battery issue now. I have been using it pretty intensely for the past few hours while the phone is plugged in and charging and am not having any issues. I was having a bunch of problems earlier in the day when I was downloading a bunch of apps (after the factory reset), when the phone was not plugged in.

Fatalah

For the last 2 weeks, my Google Navigation won't work. Just stuck on "searching for location".

Meanwhile, my GPS location shows up fine on Google Maps.

Frustrated. Anyone have experience with this?

jokkir

They are my second to Android Central. AC are the kings.

After the debacle with the stealth editing of their "Nexus 4 can't magically grow LTE support" article and deleting comments that related to it as being bogus, it really lowered their credibility as a site imo

ZZMitch

Could one of you kind fellows possible direct me in the right direction for the correct battery for the Samsung Galaxy S2? I am on Bell Canada if that matters. I am searching around Amazon but there seems like a lot of options so I am a little confused.

They are my second to Android Central. AC are the kings.
no. AC is cool, but Police brings the fire.

Could one of you kind fellows possible direct me in the right direction for the correct battery for the Samsung Galaxy S2? I am on Bell Canada if that matters. I am searching around Amazon but there seems like a lot of options so I am a little confused.

search for the model number.

edit: clarification, the model number on your current battery

ZZMitch

search for the model number.

edit: clarification, the model number on your current battery

That worked like a charm thanks! Only $15, not bad. Hilarious too, since when i went to the Bell store to check my warranty options incase I needed to replace the phone they said the batteries were about $80 (on their website of course).

Hieberrr

That worked like a charm thanks! Only $15, not bad. Hilarious too, since when i went to the Bell store to check my warranty options incase I needed to replace the phone they said the batteries were about $80 (on their website of course).

Bell is a fucking ripoff. I went there last year to check for a screen protector for my Galaxy S and they said $20 bucks. YA FUCKING RIGHT AM I GOING TO PAY THAT! For kicks, I asked them if they would make sure I had no air bubbles and dirt under the protector if they installed it for me and I got "I'll do the best I can" as a response.

yeah, they gotta get their markup on the batteries. DAT ACCESSORY MONEY

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
yeah, they gotta get their markup on the batteries. DAT ACCESSORY MONEY

128969233798942509.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Android-GAF name 5 apps that you think are really well done.

They don't have to be your favorite or most used apps. Heck I use the Facebook app a ton, but we all know that's pretty crappy. Just name 5 apps that you think are well done either because of content, style, speed or what have you. In no order...

The Verge
Soundcloud
Minus
Google +
SnapSeed

So Android-GAF name 5 apps that you think are really well done.

They don't have to be your favorite or most used apps. Heck I use the Facebook app a ton, but we all know that's pretty crappy. Just name 5 apps that you think are well done either because of content, style, speed or what have you. In no order...

The Verge
Soundcloud
Minus
Google +
SnapSeed

Falcon Pro
Reddit Sync
Safe In Cloud
Tune In Radio Pro
Reader HD (I think it's just Reader now)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Falcon Pro
Reddit Sync
Solid Explorer
YouTube
Tasks

Guys, my contract is eligible for an upgrade. I have a Galaxy Nexus and am looking for a stupidly fast phone with good to great battery. What are my options? I've been considering the Note 2, but I'm OK with waiting til January's offers. Anything hot coming down the Android pipeline in the next few weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom