• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, my contract is eligible for an upgrade. I have a Galaxy Nexus and am looking for a stupidly fast phone with good to great battery. What are my options? I've been considering the Note 2, but I'm OK with waiting til January's offers. Anything hot coming down the Android pipeline in the next few weeks?

What country are you from?

Guys, my contract is eligible for an upgrade. I have a Galaxy Nexus and am looking for a stupidly fast phone with good to great battery. What are my options? I've been considering the Note 2, but I'm OK with waiting til January's offers. Anything hot coming down the Android pipeline in the next few weeks?

Galaxy S IV probably won't be until March-April. If you're looking for battery life though, nothing can touch the Note II at stock. I don't think Huawei has announced when that 6.1" phablet with the 4,000 mAh battery will be available yet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Galaxy Nexus isn't that old of a phone. Plus as long as you aren't on the Verizon version you should be on Android 4.2 already. Honestly Since that phone isn't that bad I'd wait it out till next year's crop of mega phones. The GNexus isn't exactly old yet.

next few weeks? no. Next few months? yes.

Galaxy Nexus isn't that old of a phone. Plus as long as you aren't on the Verizon version you should be on Android 4.2 already. Honestly Since that phone isn't that bad I'd wait it out till next year's crop of mega phones. The GNexus isn't exactly old yet.
I agree with this.

Sorry for the lack of details

I'm on Verizon in the USA. And although the GNex is a great phone, my battery life is horrendous on it. Absolutely atrocious.

But I guess I'll wait for March / April's offerings and take the plunge then. Thanks guys.

I'm on Verizon in the USA. And although the GNex is a great phone, my battery life is horrendous on it. Absolutely atrocious.

But I guess I'll wait for March / April's offerings and take the plunge then. Thanks guys.
stick it out brooo, it'll be worth it. You're not alone. I'm also sitting on an upgrade, I think 1 or 2 others here are as well.

Dropbox
Falcon Pro
Pandora
Pocket
ZPlayer

Samsung Galaxy Note II

don't expect much in the way of new devices until Spring 2013

tino

Banned

Sell your GN and buy a clean Razr Maxx and pocket the $50 difference.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I've switched browsers back to the stock CM10 browser (not sure what to call it). The smoothness is just too hard to beat.

Sucks losing flash though I still have Firefox installed as a backup. Also sucks losing desktop sync that Chrome and Firefox bring. Still the general browsing experience is just so much better with the pre-installed stock CM10 browser.

ScOULaris

So I've switched browsers back to the stock CM10 browser (not sure what to call it). The smoothness is just too hard to beat.

Sucks losing flash though I still have Firefox installed as a backup. Also sucks losing desktop sync that Chrome and Firefox bring. Still the general browsing experience is just so much better with the pre-installed stock CM10 browser.

Um, Flash works in the stock browser. Are you sure you have it installed?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

RJ, get the Note 2. The next crop of phones are a ways away. Plus it price dropped to $200 on contract at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AB7FVCY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well wtf... gotta go to my cm thread over at xda and ask then...

yep, still working.

ki0Ltl.png

Has anyone tried using Verizon's 4G LTE for home internet? I have a five line family plan and one of the people is leaving in January. He happens to have a grandfathered unlimited plan, and I'm wondering if I can keep it and use it for a home hotspot. How will the speeds be? Would Verizon have any grounds to kick me off? the FCC ruled that they have to allow unlimited data even for third party tethering apps, right?

I have to take care of the heat problem or the phone will eventually break, though.

Recieved Jelly Bean update on my HTC One X couple of days ago; but I get no cards or Google Now at all, just web search. When I ask about weather for example, all I get is a Google search. Is it because my language isn't supported by Google?

Have you updated Google Search on the store?

Yes :/

gcubed

Has anyone tried using Verizon's 4G LTE for home internet? I have a five line family plan and one of the people is leaving in January. He happens to have a grandfathered unlimited plan, and I'm wondering if I can keep it and use it for a home hotspot. How will the speeds be? Would Verizon have any grounds to kick me off? the FCC ruled that they have to allow unlimited data even for third party tethering apps, right?

I have to take care of the heat problem or the phone will eventually break, though.

No. FCC ruled that it must be allowed on capped plans.

Recieved Jelly Bean update on my HTC One X couple of days ago; but I get no cards or Google Now at all, just web search. When I ask about weather for example, all I get is a Google search. Is it because my language isn't supported by Google?

Yes :/

Speak in English? You can change your settings with Google Now to work around this I think.

I'm expecting at least another year from my gnex fwiw
If you have a GSM GNex it's not bad. Most of us who are leaving have the VZW GNex and it's dodgy battery life and radio quality. I never had any real issues with the rest of the phone but the battery made it really hard to actually use my VZW GNex after a year of burning the battery down and degrading it slowly.

3phemeral

I can't believe I've only just used Google Now's 'wake me up in X hours/min' this morning.

!!!!

I just said "wake me up at 6:25 am" and it recognized the command

damn
I've always just used "set an alarm at," but that is more natural for sure.

I didn't realize you could also set up calendar appointments, although, it's a little wonky. Can't set up all-day ones yet or events that span multiple dates or repetitive dates.

I just wish they'd bring song search to the UK. Annoys me, because it's a feature I'd actually use. I switched my language settings to English US for a bit and I got the "news story you were interested in cards". It's an option in UK Google Now, but it doresn't seem they've turned it on yet. Great idea though and really useful. Anyway I'm about to go Jeff Rigby on you in a bit re Chrome For Android. I'll explain shortly.

So for a while now we've all been disappointed by the poor performance of Chrome for Android, mostly due to janky scrolling and the occasional boosted font. Luckily Chrome is an open source project and the Chrome guys don't hide what they are working on. With a little bit of digging around it's easy to find out what they are up to.

First of all, the next version of Chrome for Android should align with the release of Chrome 25 (current Chrome for Android is version 18). So they are jumping seven levels. Even the desktop version is only at level 23, so I'm not expecting a release until some time early next year which aligns with what the Chrome team said recently about the mobile versions of Chrome going step for step with the desktop. There are no issues for 19,20,21,22,23 or 24 for Android only for 25 and 26.

You can easily tell that by checking out the open issues here..

(there are a small amount of milestone 26 Android issues in there too, but seeing as the majority of issues are aimed for 25, I'm making an educated guess that will be the target release version)

Next up lets talk scrolling. We all know that The Verge's desktop page demonstrates how performance in Chrome can differ wildly. Luckily the Chrome guys are well aware as this issue demonstrates. Again, it's targeted for Chrome 25.

You can also see it was a priority 1 fix, so clearly they see it as important. And if you scroll down, you'll see it's fixed.

But that isn't all they are doing. In the following issue:

If you scroll down to comment 9 you'll see this.

Comment 9 by srika...@chromium.org, Nov 26, 2012
This is necessary to get page scroll to an acceptable level on GN / Nexus S. Pulling this up in priority.

Most of the programming language goes right over my head, but it does seem like they are going to offload some of the work from the CPU to the GPU to further hardware accelerate Chrome For Android. There was a benchmark I read somewhere recently in which Chrome For Android came bottom for hardware acceleration in benchmarks when compared against other Android browsers and it looks like they're trying to fix this. Again it's priority 1 targeted for Chrome 25.

Next up is this

Again lots of technical language but it looks like they are trying to find more efficient ways to hide slow page drawing and removing the white space (aka checkerboarding) which affects Chrome for Android quite badly when you scroll quickly or perform quick zoom in/out operations. They've actually outlined the problem in an easier to understand document here:

This issue again is priority 1, targeted for release milestone 25.

So in a nutshell: Whilst the Chrome team may not publicly have admitted that Chrome on Android suffers from poor performance and it's a priority to fix it, clearly they are working on it and there's plenty of evidence that they have either addressed the performance issues already or are hard at work getting it ready for the next Chrome for Android update.

Phew. Anyway, enough channeling Jeff-Rigby for now!

Well I'm sure we all knew they were making it better, but man it's taking forever. They haven't had a significant update in a long time. I hope it's because of what you say, and that they are going to jump straight to the last version they need to reach parity with the desktop, and hopefully it's as fluid as competitors. I have my doubts but it would be great if it was.

Well I'm sure we all knew they were making it better, but man it's taking forever. They haven't had a significant update in a long time. I hope it's because of what you say, and that they are going to jump straight to the last version they need to reach parity with the desktop, and hopefully it's as fluid as competitors. I have my doubts but it would be great if it was.

There was an update just recently which definitely upped performance, but it's still far from perfect. They are definitely gaining parity with the the desktop release versions though. They confirmed it already. Read this:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/27/google-chrome-releases-to-align-across-all-platforms-including-android-starting-early-next-year/

rpmurphy

Will be getting a white RAZR M soon to replace my old RAZR. Probably the last Motorola phone I will have, sadly. :(

† RIP Moto †

Hieberrr

I flashed CM10 on my old Galaxy S for kicks. Nope... 4.x is not designed for that tiny screen everything looks horrible. Back to MIUI 2.4.20 (Gingerbread is best, bro).

My phone wont turn on or charge.

It's a Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic Touch 4g

Took the batt out and put it back in. It's on now. Hope it's not bricked.

Turned back on. Looks okay. It's charging. But what the fuck was that?

tino

Banned
I just paid 5 bux for GMD Gesture Control. I can't believe I paid 5 bux for a utility app. But its so awesome to use it in a large screen device.

Threi

notag
I flashed CM10 on my old Galaxy S for kicks. Nope... 4.x is not designed for that tiny screen everything looks horrible. Back to MIUI 2.4.20 (Gingerbread is best, bro).

I dunno...it looks fine if you find the right DPI. CM10 looks and runs great on my Infuse.

i must have missed the news on the GAF Android G+ page, but i requested to be added OT...let me in, ha.

in other news: Got my N10.

think i may turn this N7 into Gamestop for some Google Play gift cards.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. The Droid RAZR M uses Android 4.1 on a small screen.

Where is the Android-GAF G+ page?

Hieberrr

It looks pretty crappy on my end since I'm comparing it to my Nexus 4. Everything feels too tight (e.g., 4x4 grid on my screen is already super tight).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It looks pretty crappy on my end since I'm comparing it to my Nexus 4. Everything feels too tight (e.g., 4x4 grid on my screen is already super tight).

What does ICS have to do with grid size? Sounds like your issue was with the launcher or lcd density setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom