• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

What does ICS have to do with grid size? Sounds like your issue was with the launcher or lcd density setting.

My issue is with ICS not looking very good on my Galaxy S. Maybe it has to do with the screen size, type, dpi, etc... my point was it doesn't look good. Even if I change the dipi, now my icons are ant-sized. It just doesn't look right. Some apps also suffer due to the hardware (e.g., Google Talk runs kind of sluggish).

tino

Banned
I am hearing rumor of Tegra 4 will be announced in CES and it will be a quadcore A15 soc; HTC will be the first to use it.

If thats the case why did HTC announce the Asia version of the Butterfly? A better phone will come out less than 2 months.

gcubed

I am hearing rumor of Tegra 4 will be announced in CES and it will be a quadcore A15 soc; HTC will be the first to use it.

If thats the case why did HTC announce the Asia version of the Butterfly? A better phone will come out less than 2 months.

thats about the right time for it. I'm assuming at some point nvidia will figure out their tegra line... right before intel melts faces with their 2014 chips

Doopliss

So for a while now we've all been disappointed by the poor performance of Chrome for Android, mostly due to janky scrolling and the occasional boosted font. Luckily Chrome is an open source project and the Chrome guys don't hide what they are working on. With a little bit of digging around it's easy to find out what they are up to.

[...]
Great post! The impl painting stuff sounds especially promising, seems like it should bring scrolling performance up to par with the stock Android browser and (most importantly for me) fix the awful checkerboarding.

Zeppu

So samsung has something cooking for CES time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EWoAxkMmOLk

I expected their next phone to probably be announced in Feb rather than January so I wonder if this is it or something else. I could see them trying to persuade people to wait for their phone before the HTC/Sony flagships are out, but seems weird to announce then release 2-3 months later.

It's probably an Android-connected oven or fridge or something. Presented in the most awkward way possible.

tino

Banned
i fully expect intel to destroy the mobile market come 2014. They have the fab advantage, they just need to get compatibility.

Lets forget about LTE radio for a second, has intel showed Atom is as powerful and as power efficient as the top end ARM soc?

Atom already has fabbing advantage over ARM chips.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I just hope Nvidia delivers this time. The Tegra 3 wasn't bad, but by time it came out it wasn't exactly blowing the doors off of things especially when Nvidia being a GPU company still lost to Apple's GPU setup. Plus for it being a quad core cpu + companion core + gpu it didn't exactly blow away some of the dual core chipsets either.

That being said rumor is "Wayne" is suppose to be 10x the performance of the Tegra 2, and I think Nvidia moving to a lower nm should help a lot with fab. Plus I think (though I've been wrong before) that Nvidia got the message that despite the Tegra 3 being used in quiet a few devices that the creation of the Tegra 3 was a cluster fuck and a half. Miissing performance targets, bad fabs, money sucks etc... are things I doubt Nvidia is going to rush to repeate with the Tegra 4.

All of this being said I wonder how it'll perform next to the S4 Pro or S5. I also wonder how it'll handle heat issues since the S4 Pro and the latest iOS chips have all had heat concerns. Heck their own Tegra design has had heat issues on the One X/One X+. Moving to a much lower nm should help things, but I do wonder how much of a performance gain we can get with all of these heat problems.

Really looking forward to the newer 2013 chipsets though especially with things like the Nexus 10 with it's crazy resolution and so many phones probably moving to 1080p. I'm all for the resolution and screen quality push but as seen with something like the new retina Mac Book pros you definitely need a big power jump to push these screens.

PS: I think I've decided I'm going to skip out on the Nexus 7, and then just go all in as soon as we get the Nexus 7 refresh next year.

gcubed

Lets forget about LTE radio for a second, has intel showed Atom is as powerful and as power efficient as the top end ARM soc?

Atom already has fabbing advantage over ARM chips.

the razr i (2ghz atom) matches up pretty well with the razr m (s4 dual core) in benchmarks, and its basically intels throw in chipset in order to get some kind of movement on x86 builds of the OS.

razr-i-battery.jpg

brettison - i'm in the same boat, i'm holding off for the next Nexus 7 at this point.

tino

Banned
the razr i (2ghz atom) matches up pretty well with the razr m (s4 dual core) in benchmarks, and its basically intels throw in chipset in order to get some kind of movement on x86 builds of the OS.

razr-i-battery.jpg

But S4 is not top ARM soc anymore. Apple A5 A6 are faster; And Tegra4 will be faster; also Samsung Exynos 5.

Nowadays you basically can get the S4 in a mid range phone like the new razr or Nokia 820.

I am not even sure the Atom soc is faster than the Huawei quadcore soc.

gcubed

But S4 is not top ARM soc anymore. Apple A5 A6 are faster; And Tegra4 will be faster; also Samsung Exynos 5.

Nowadays you basically can get the S4 in a mid range phone like the new razr or Nokia 820.

I am not even sure the Atom soc is faster than the Huawei quadcore soc.

yeah, but it also wasn't meant to compete with the A15's either, it was meant to get their foot in the door. They have a new chip releasing in 2013 to compete more effectively with the new chips. They also plan to be at 14nm in 2014. Intel's fab ability is going to be where they gain the advantage once they get their chips up to snuff

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I want a Nexus Android tablet in the same form factor as the iPad Mini. That would be my ideal tablet. Enough of this 16:9 nonsense.

ok so now that I have this N10, what are some good tablet apps? not even sure why i care. i've never cared about tablet specific apps, even when I had my xoom. mostly just web browsed. now i can read magazines and books (i know i could do that before, but now i'm more inclined too)

also:

wow they got LTE working on the Nexus 4 in America! Seems AT&T actually is using their band 4 holdings in limited parts of the US. supposedly LA is one of them, so I might actually be able to get LTE if I get this phone. and for $350 it's a done deal after the new year, but i'm just so worried about that throttling. not sure why they do that if nobody else with an S4 pro is throttling.

sorry to make this all about the N4 i know it has it's own topic. i just like posting in the general android thread.

about 4 weeks until CES? nice.

tino

Banned
All 4.0 tablet owner should check out GMD gesture control. You can define iOS 5 and W8 style gestures.

"grab" screen to go to home, 4 fingers to left or right to go to prev and next app. sogood.jpg

Damn.. Google has hardcoded headset controls on Jelly Bean, so now short press on the headset button is play/pause, and long press activates Google Voice search. Apps like Jays headset controls; that were prior to Jelly Bean able to change the controls to something like long press volume, double press next track, triple press previous etc. no longer work.
That is devastating for me, as I always change tracks and volume on my bicycle. Even if Google decides to fix this in next Android iteration (maybe it's fixed in 4.2, i don't know) I will have to wait for it to arrive on my One X, probably a couple of months.
I'm really thinking about rooting my device now...

Damn... XBMC on the Nexus 7 is going to be so sexy once it supports HW Acceleration.

It hadn't dawned on me initially that HW decoding wasn't implemented yet since 1080p files with software decoding on mobile devices generally run at 0.5 FPS in my experience. The Tegra 3 was getting somewhere around 15 FPS... Beastly (kind of).

Well Chrome IS the best browser on JB because they disabled the superior browser.

Why does everyone hate Chrome for android? I'm guessing it's a little bit slower than the old browser?

Dat Chrome sync is so useful though. And it loads webpages as I'm typing URLs and thus pages load instantly.

So samsung has something cooking for CES time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EWoAxkMmOLk

I expected their next phone to probably be announced in Feb rather than January so I wonder if this is it or something else. I could see them trying to persuade people to wait for their phone before the HTC/Sony/LG flagships are out, but seems weird to announce then release 2-3 months later.

Smart Door to go with the Window!

Well Chrome IS the best browser on JB because they disabled the superior browser.

Firefox isn't disabled, what are you talking about?

Damn.. Google has hardcoded headset controls on Jelly Bean, so now short press on the headset button is play/pause, and long press activates Google Voice search. Apps like Jays headset controls; that were prior to Jelly Bean able to change the controls to something like long press volume, double press next track, triple press previous etc. no longer work.
That is devastating for me, as I always change tracks and volume on my bicycle. Even if Google decides to fix this in next Android iteration (maybe it's fixed in 4.2, i don't know) I will have to wait for it to arrive on my One X, probably a couple of months.
I'm really thinking about rooting my device now...

based Samsung better fix that one in their 4.2 when it drops next year...

So Twitter decide to kick out third party Twitter apps pretty much completely so they can "control their brand", then steal shamelessly from 3rd party companies like Instagram and paste that functionality into their app, whilst blocking their competitors images from appearing in their timeline.

If Twitter had been this controlling from the start they would never have become so big. I appreciate that they have to start monetizing to make the service profitable, but cutting 3rd parties out of the picture altogether is a pretty dick move.

put the stock browser on my Nexus 10. For some reason I feel like I need both on there.

i think I just use the stock browser as a fallback for flash support. anytime i can't load something in chrome, i switch over the Android Browser.

Google has to include that one instead of Chrome in AOSP right? since chrome is not open sourced fully yet. (if it even ever will be, don't know about that story)

put the stock browser on my Nexus 10. For some reason I feel like I need both on there.

i think I just use the stock browser as a fallback for flash support. anytime i can't load something in chrome, i switch over the Android Browser.

Google has to include that one instead of Chrome in AOSP right? since chrome is not open sourced fully yet. (if it even ever will be, don't know about that story)

I'd be surprised if Chrome For Android doesn't go fully open source, because Chromium is. On the other hand they probably don't want OEM's using their own browser or customizing Chrome with their own UI's. It's actually a great way of getting users to buy into Googles ecosystem. I wouldn't be surprised if Chrome becomes a stock part of the Gapps package by the time the next version comes around.

I'd be surprised if Chrome For Android doesn't go fully open source, because Chromium is. On the other hand they probably don't want OEM's using their own browser or customizing Chrome with their own UI's. It's actually a great way of getting users to buy into Googles ecosystem. I wouldn't be surprised if Chrome becomes a stock part of the Gapps package by the time the next version comes around.

can it become a stock version without them open sourcing it? I don't want OEM's fucking with Chrome either. it will get better over time, and I hope it stays pure and not molested by manufacturers like the rest of android.

can it become a stock version without them open sourcing it? I don't want OEM's fucking with Chrome either. it will get better over time, and I hope it stays pure and not molested by manufacturers like the rest of android.

Gmail for Android, YouTube etc are part of the stock Gapps and are not open source, so no reason why Chrome won't be in future. I'd be surprised if they didn't redact the stock browser once they have Chrome perfected. See the Cyanogen controversy circa a few years back. The new Motorola phones have Chrome pre-installed, but then they are owned by Google.

daoster

So Twitter decide to kick out third party Twitter apps pretty much completely so they can "control their brand", then steal shamelessly from 3rd party companies like Instagram and paste that functionality into their app, whilst blocking their competitors images from appearing in their timeline.

If Twitter had been this controlling from the start they would never have become so big. I appreciate that they have to start monetizing to make the service profitable, but cutting 3rd parties out of the picture altogether is a pretty dick move.

Didn't Instagram cut Twitter out?

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/09/it...s-arent-showing-up-in-twitter-streams-at-all/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom