• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
gsmarena_001.jpg

5.0” 1920x1080 IPS LCD

dear lord does it look good

Hardware keys!

*thumbs up*

Hieberrr

I love the new Google Currents. So much easier to use than before and less confusing. Offline sync and reading of full articles <3

I'd love to do Reader HD, but isn't that just an RSS reader?

gcubed

I love the new Google Currents. So much easier to use than before and less confusing. Offline sync and reading of full articles <3

I'd love to do Reader HD, but isn't that just an RSS reader?

sorta, but not everyone is in Currents. Back when i tried using it with google reader subscriptions it didn't really work that great. has it gotten better?

Hieberrr

sorta, but not everyone is in Currents. Back when i tried using it with google reader subscriptions it didn't really work that great. has it gotten better?

It works well with stuff that offers full content through the feeds. For example, I'm subscribed to the things such as Reuters, Al Jazeera, The Verge, Freshome, and 500px. These all provide full content. If I were to add actual rss feeds, then I'd only get snippets.

So if your feeds offer full coverage, then currents is amazing. It makes my morning commute a lot better since everything I want to read is on there when I wake up.

EDIT: Ouu, the Toronto Star is now on Currents :D

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On another note supposedly Cyanogen Mod 10.1 is getting closer to hitting on more devices that aren't Nexus devices. 10.1 = 4.2 JB just fyi. Granted these will be early and experimental builds.

Read up a bit more on the SIII Mini. Seems like it doesn't have a notification light? Might sound stupid, but that's a dealbreaker for me.

I'm getting a bit frustrated, all the phones seem to have one large problem. The Nexus 4 isn't sold here, the Xperia S has poor battery life, the SIII Mini has no notification light... There has to be some smartphone that actually fits my criteria.

ouch! that's a dealbreaker for me too!

Get the Motorola Razr i.

4.3" (albeit PenTile) AMOLED screen, but the phone is just as big as my 3.7" HTC Desire
2GHz Intel Atom processor for very snappy UI and browser performance (games, not so much)
2000mAh battery, which lasts for quite some time
yeah, this. i mentioned it, but it might have been overlooked since several of us also mentioned the S3 mini. it has that "edge to edge" screen and is the physical size of many 4" phones, but with a 4.3" screen.

2013 best phone of the year:

HTC 5" One DLX vs. Sony 5" Xperia X vs Samsung 4.99" galaxy S IV vs Huawei 6" Whatever vs Google 5" Nexus 5 vs Samsung 6" Note 3.

Cast your vote now!

Nokia Lumia 940

Even though I have used an iphone multiple times (years?) with no notification light, when I get android phones it's one thing I always look for, you know, when in rome. I was pizisssed when the nexus S didn't have one.

SHOCKING NEWS: Google Chairman Says Android Winning Mobile War With Apple

Booming demand for Android-based smartphones is helping Google add share at the expense of other software providers, Schmidt said yesterday in an interview at Bloomberg’s headquarters in New York. Android snared 72 percent of the market in the third quarter, while Apple had 14 percent, according to Gartner Inc. Customers are activating more than 1.3 million Android devices a day, Schmidt said.

“This is a huge platform change; this is of the scale of 20 years ago -- Microsoft versus Apple,” he said. “We’re winning that war pretty clearly now.”

Schmidt’s remarks reflect Google’s growing confidence in its ability to attract users and
advertisers as more customers rely on handheld devices and shun traditional computers. By giving away Android, Google cedes revenue to hardware partners, such as Samsung Electronics Co. Schmidt is willing to make that sacrifice because it drives demand for ads and other Internet- based services that benefit Google over time.

“The core strategy is to make a bigger pie,” he said. “We will end up with a not perfectly controlled and not perfectly managed bigger pie by virtue of open systems.”
During the hourlong interview, Schmidt also touched on topics as varied as taxes, the economy and Google’s growing roster of competitors.

interesting stuff!

Ocho

So, it appears both Gmail and Google Maps are better designed in iOS (not sure since I've only seen screenshots). What is GAFdroid's opinion?

buhdeh

Honestly, if iOS 7 allows for app defaults and cleans up all the ugly ass UI put in by Forstall, I could probably switch back to iOS.

Pathetic that Navigation still looks like some shit ugly Gingerbread app.

I do love the gmail app on the iPhone/iPad. It sucked so bad before but googles iOS team has stepped up their design game big time recently. Just really really slick stuff. I'm hoping google puts it all in android by key lime pie.

So, it appears both Gmail and Google Maps are better designed in iOS (not sure since I've only seen screenshots). What is GAFdroid's opinion?

Both apps rebuilt from the ground up. Better looking, maybe (although I'd hardly call Gmail and Gmaps for Android ugly) but not as functional. I'm sure if the Android team had to completely redesign both apps 6 months down the line they'll look better than their iOS counterparts. It's called progress.

Google rules out Gmail and Drive apps for Windows 8

Google has revealed that it has no plans to develop dedicated apps for Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8 for its business app products such as Gmail or Drive.

Speaking to V3, the firm's product management director at Google Apps, Clay Bavor, said that due to what it sees as a lack of interest from its clients on the systems, it is holding back on any work at present.

"We have no plans to build out Windows apps. We are very careful about where we invest and will go where the users are but they are not on Windows Phone or Windows 8," he said.

"If that changes, we would invest there, of course."

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2231503/google-shuns-windows-8-for-app-development

Google just throwing daggers all day

jokkir

i don't think that simpler automatically equals better. plus as long as can't change the defaults, does it even matter?

Design wise, gmail looks better on iOS, imo. Much cleaner interface and nicer to look at and a better font choice. Although iOS can't make it the default app, why can't Android look like that have have that functionality?

I don't really like what the Google Maps on iOS looks though. Or at least form what I've seen.

Nicktendo86

Both apps rebuilt from the ground up. Better looking, maybe (although I'd hardly call Gmail and Gmaps for Android ugly) but not as functional. I'm sure if the Android team had to completely redesign both apps 6 months down the line they'll look better than their iOS counterparts. It's called progress.

This. the Android apps have just had functionality built on top one update at a time so we end up with apps what might still have certain gingerbread-esq designs. I'm sure they will update them all from the groud up at some point, as others have said I would guess for Key Lime Pie.

Cheebo

Banned
I even actually like Google Chrome on iOS over Chrome on my Nexus 7, it is always baflfing to me that the iOS Google apps team seems to outpace their Android team.

Vanillalite

I even actually like Google Chrome on iOS over Chrome on my Nexus 7, it is always baflfing to me that the iOS Google apps team seems to outpace their Android team.

Chrome on iOS is a reskinned version of Safari with the Google hooks thrown in. That is why.

Vanillalite

CyanongenMod Google+!

photo.jpg

CyanogenMod
Yesterday 6:34 PM - Public

CM 10.1 Status Update

Goodbye mr1-staging. Hello CM-10.1

We are in the process of re-branching our repos as we had originally detailed as part of our initial status update http://goo.gl/6TXme

Gerrit replication of the new branch, aptly named 'cm-10.1' has begun. As this process continues, the corresponding branches will be created on Github.

What does this mean for contributors?

Your patches against mr1-staging, if not merged as of 6pm EST on 12/12/12, will be orphaned. This does not mean they are abandoned, deleted or lost. What it does mean is that you will be required to pull down your patch to your local repos, then push it back up to gerrit against the new 10.1 branch. We advise you hold on this process until replication is completed. We will let you know when that time is appropriate.

What does this mean for end users?

We are nearing the point where nightlies will be enabled on a wider scale, as the device maintainers give their OK. This means you are likely to see builds come out for the Nexus family of devices and others. This new branch is also where our M-Series of 10.1 will originate from. More on that later.

RuGalz

I can't help but feel that had they updated Android version first, then release one for iOS. People will just be like "oh iOS is finally catching up" or a lot of people (I.e. media) will feel like Google remove functionality for no good reason. Now, it's on iOS first, it's generating more buzz then it would have.

Crazy how a pretty face on an old, handicapped and poor performing version of the iOS browser engine can lure people in...

snacknuts

we all knew her

This is basically what happened with the G+ app. The major redesign hit iOS first, then Android, and then the Android version got updated again shortly thereafter and was MUCH nicer than the iOS version. Niche app vs. core service, I know, but there's a precedent.

Antagon

Seems like the best option, yeah. Bit more expensive then I planned at 400 Euros, but otherwise it looks really good. Had some bad experiences with Motorola updates (still running Android 2.1) on my Milestone, but hopefully that's better now that it's owned by Google.

Well, they can't deliver those either. I only seem to be able to choose between Samsung, Sony, HTC, Huawei, LG and Acer phones. None of which seem to have a phone that really meets my demands.

Best option is the HTC one S I guess.

tino

Banned
You know what I would pay for the next evolution of smartphones? A docking station.

Say you have a 4.5" phone that's ultra thin and have normal 1 day battery life.

You can take out the back plate and add a dock in the back that add: mSD slot, 3X battery life, HDMI port, a smaller e-ink screen in the back to read books and a pen silo with a Wacom pen. Oh and a real USB slot so you can connect to k/m and do the lapdock thing.

And it should be able to dualboot ChromeOS.

Who is with me?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
You know what I would pay for the next evolution of smartphones? A docking station.

Say you have a 4.5" phone that's ultra thin and have normal 1 day battery life.

You can take out the back plate and add a dock in the back that add: mSD slot, 3X battery life, HDMI port, a smaller e-ink screen in the back to read books and a pen silo with a Wacom pen. Oh and a real USB slot so you can connect to k/m and do the lapdock thing.

And it should be able to dualboot ChromeOS.

Who is with me?

Motorola: "sup"

Dell Quits Smartphone Business Globally, Drops Android

“It’s a content play with Android. Amazon is selling books and Google is making it up with search. So far we couldn’t find a way to build a business on Android,” added Clarke. But I’m sure Samsung would disagree.

So for Dell, it’s back to the future, I mean Microsoft with its latest tablet family, the XPS10, XPS12 and Latitude 10, all running Windows 8 or Windows RT. “It doesn’t mean we’re not looking at Android. You should come and see what’s in our labs.” An offer that I can’t refuse. Let’s set up a time and date!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanbaptiste/2012/12/12/dell-quits-smartphone-business-globally-android/

Well Dell... thanks for the Streak! It gave people ideas.

Kiraly

Well, they can't deliver those either. I only seem to be able to choose between Samsung, Sony, HTC, Huawei, LG and Acer phones. None of which seem to have a phone that really meets my demands.

Best option is the HTC one S I guess.

One S is a very long phone for its screen size though.

JB update for the Razr i should be incoming

It is the best phone for your demands, geloof me ;)

Hutch

Neo Member
Just got my first Android device, a Transformer Prime. Love it to bits, so tell me Gaf, how do I make this incredible device be all that it can be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom