• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Talk about a good week for Android Apps! Google + major update... check! Facebook recoded... check! GCalander updated to use Jelly... Check! More apps getting tablet views.... check!

Pretty solid week for a random week in the middle of Dec. right before the Holidays!

Talk about a good week for Android Apps! Google + major update... check! Facebook recoded... check! GCalander updated to use Jelly... Check! More apps getting tablet views.... check!

Pretty solid week for a random week in the middle of Dec. right before the Holidays!
I finally know what Durate said when he meant he wanted to join the winning team.

I thought you were back on the MS train? :p

My phone says "Google" and "Samsung" on the back.

While I hate what they did with Android 4.2, Apollo is a buggy, rushed mess and it would be only a (huge) visual upgrade for me.

Not that having apps crash here and there is much better.

So worthy of that Nexus name.

What a difference a year makes. I remember last year we had a large Galaxy Nexus defense force where most of you were just defending the Nexus saying you would never settle for anything but the pure google experience (even though the phone hardware had such major flaws). Jokes were made about Blur, Touchwiz and Sense. But, to be fair there was a lot of GNex bashing also (myself included).

Now it's the other way around and the Nexus 4 is being bashed and Touchwiz is lauded for it's extra features. lol.

What a difference a year makes. I remember last year we had a large Galaxy Nexus defense force where most of you were just defending the Nexus saying you would never settle for anything but the pure google experience (even though the phone hardware had such major flaws). Jokes were made about Blur, Touchwiz and Sense. But, to be fair there was a lot of GNex bashing also (myself included).

Now it's the other way around and the Nexus 4 is being bashed and Touchwiz is lauded for it's extra features. lol.

Lol ..yeah I soo remember that! I was one of the major Gnex bashers vs the gnex defense....lol good times!

Why would anyone bash the Galaxy Nexus? Sure, it looks boring and the hardware isn't exciting either, but the same can be said for most Android phones.

Why would anyone bash the Galaxy Nexus? Sure, it looks boring and the hardware isn't exciting either, but the same can be said for most Android phones.

Folk criticised the GN for.. small internal memory (HSPA+ version), no expandable storage, Pentile screen, average battery life, poor camera, plastic build...

Now the Nexus 4 we have these criticisms..

Small internal memory, no expandable storage, glass build, average battery life.

Pick your poison.

The Nexus 4 is a way better phone than the GN and the battery will give better screen on time. If it wasn't for the storage thing, most folk would be pretty happy.

I still think touchwiz sucks despite the 1 or 2 features I like. The only reason I'd ever get an S4 or another big phone is because they get so much dev support that putting stock on it isn't so much work compared to the past.

I think this nexus kills the galaxy nexus, just not happy with the battery.

tino

Banned

The camera bashing only came a few months after people owning it. I don't remember any Galaxy Nexus bashing during its launch.

Hieberrr

I still think touchwiz sucks despite the 1 or 2 features I like. The only reason I'd ever get an S4 or another big phone is because they get so much dev support that putting stock on it isn't so much work compared to the past.

I think this nexus kills the galaxy nexus, just not happy with the battery.

Yeah, screen time sucks :(. Sleep is nice though, it lasts all day long.

Vanillalite

Folk criticised the GN for.. small internal memory (HSPA+ version), no expandable storage, Pentile screen, average battery life, poor camera, plastic build...

Now the Nexus 4 we have these criticisms..

Small internal memory, no expandable storage, glass build, average battery life.

Pick your poison.

The Nexus 4 is a way better phone than the GN and the battery will give better screen on time. If it wasn't for the storage thing, most folk would be pretty happy.

You forgot no LTE on the Nexus 4.

Mudkips

Banned
Does nobody else in the world have the "Talk" app that connects to Google chat?
FWT3F.png

I can't find it in the play store and I have no idea how I got it. I have it on my Nexus One as well as my Galaxy Note II. My friend with a Galaxy S III doesn't have it and he's installed Google+ as well as GMail.

I'm trying to figure out how to get this thing to recognize (and tell others) that I have a camera. I can video chat with people who have a camera icon in their status, but I don't have a camera icon when they look at my status, and thus no one can initiate a video chat with me.

Ocho

Does nobody else in the world have the "Talk" app that connects to Google chat?
FWT3F.png

I can't find it in the play store and I have no idea how I got it. I have it on my Nexus One as well as my Galaxy Note II. My friend with a Galaxy S III doesn't have it and he's installed Google+ as well as GMail.

I'm trying to figure out how to get this thing to recognize (and tell others) that I have a camera. I can video chat with people who have a camera icon in their status, but I don't have a camera icon when they look at my status, and thus no one can initiate a video chat with me.

It's part of the gapps suite that come preinstalled. Don't know if you can get the apk somewhere, though.

Mudkips

Banned
It's part of the gapps suite that come preinstalled. Don't know if you can get the apk somewhere, though.

I just sent him the damn apk manually. Waiting on him to install it.
Any idea how to get it to show the camera icon in my status so people can initiate video chat with me?

I finally know what Durate said when he meant he wanted to join the winning team.
Took you long enough to figure it out, jeez. Duarte had been with one shit company after another before he just said fuck it and joined his old boss Andy Rubin and made Android into the world dominator it is today.

Gnex Offense Force right here... i'm pretty sure i wanted the Gnex because of hype but after that died down i was like what a shitty phone. and everybody was like noooo galaxy...

i mean there's no stopping the samsung fanboys in this thread. although i would rather have an S3 than my one x. is only because i need more space dammnit. i would probably be ok with the one x+. too bad i had not waited.

I'm fine with it. I was one of those guys and I stand by everything I said then and everything I say now. Times change fast in this industry. Last year it was a choice between terrible skins of gingerbread and stock ICS. The pace of innovation is so fast that what was true even a year ago is not so today. My philosophy has not changed, I still maintain that a phone is both hardware and software and you have to evaluate both to determine which one is the right one for you.

One for tino if you're out there, Sony have just had a new firmware certified for the Xperia Play. It is an 4.0.4 one! :O

Maybe they found a way to make it work.

Don't use the term defense force. Defense force is normally used as a term to mock individuals who take an opposing view, and by saying that you have made it clear that you aren't even prepared to have the discussion in a rational manner.

The Galaxy Nexus at the time of release was not a majorly flawed product as you describe. Did it have weaknesses? Yes. Do all phones have weaknesses? Yes. Do even the best phones have weaknesses? Yes.

There is a lot of discussion on this forum about what in many cases are subjective arguments. For example, phone lacks feature X. Feature X is important to me, it is unimportant to you.

Skins are highly subjective, and beauty is difficult to measure because it is subjective. That doesn't mean you can't measure things such as ease of use, customer experience and product satisfaction though.

I think it says a lot about where stock Android is, and even now where Nexus phones are, by the type of complaints that now dominate our thinking.

Rewind to the Nexus One... poor radio, loss of signal and data. Atrociously small memory for saving app data (512mb). Materials discolouring, or worse rubbing off. Far less than stellar battery life. Capacitive keys that you had to press slightly above. Touch screen that couldn't properly handle multi touch (swapping fingers). Pentile Amoled with terrible outdoor visibility on sunny days. Froyo...home screen dots not working right. Text in app drawer looked terrible. No consistency in UI at all. Multitasking for only the last 6 apps. Often laggy and unresponsive. Poor keyboard. Non scrolling widgets... actually the list is nearly endless..

Fast forward to 2012

Nexus 4... small memory for saving media no expandable memory, expensive build materials but more likely to crack if you drop it, battery life OK, but far from amazing. No LTE in initial release. You can't get one because they are sold out everywhere! (not really a problem before on a Nexus device). Jellybean. Unhappy about lock screen widget UI. Some unhappy about clock widget UI. Quick controls aren't all toggles. No unified messaging.

Basically as we progress more and more of the software (and hardware complaints) either drop off, or become more trivial, or are just plain subjective. Do we have the perfect Android phone yet? No. I fully expect when the next Nexus phone launches it'll have LTE, a new build of Android which addresses a few more niggles and moves a little closer to perfection. And then we'll still find things to bitch about endlessly.

That doesn't mean we are wrong to complain, but what we should do is find some perspective. I think with some of the Nexus 4 stuff and 4.2 especially, that perspective has gone out of the window. You'd think that 4.2 was so terrible you shouldn't bother upgrading and that the Nexus 4 is a bad product that was ill thought through. The thing that really showed this up was the quick controls. We didn't even have quick controls in 4.1. After everyone found out that they weren't just toggles people were very critical. The rational response to a new feature would have been to say I love the design, I love how it makes the sub menus easier to navigate to, but I'd like them to be toggles to improve them further. When you don't give any credit for the distance they have traveled and only criticise that there is still some more left to go....that's destructive not motivational.

Anyway I've prattled on long enough. Android is a pretty healthy state right now and it's only going to get better. Here's to the Galaxy S4, the HTC Two X, The Nexus 4x and Key Lime Pie.

jokkir

Damn Facebook app isn't letting me upload pictures. It just gets stuck at like 60% or so. They still haven't fixed that problem

Vanillalite

So one of my best friends texted me saying he got his JB update on his Verizon GS3. Couple that with the Atrix HD, and and the Nexus 4 selling out again that is another big round of phones moving to JB.

Should be interesting to see next month's chart of what Os version everyone is on.

PS: It is officially 12:05 AM here so that means it is now my birthday. I shall take this time to say thanks for welcoming me to the fold Android-GAF!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
So one of my best friends texted me saying he got his JB update on his Verizon GS3. Couple that with the Atrix HD, and and the Nexus 4 selling out again that is another big round of phones moving to JB.

Should be interesting to see next month's chart of what Os version everyone is on.

PS: It is officially 12:05 AM here so that means it is now my birthday. I shall take this time to say thanks for welcoming me to the fold Android-GAF!
Happy bday!

Happy bday!!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The GN was an amazing phone for the mere fact it brought ICS to the table. We had no idea what ICS would bring and we've heard too much talk about a redesigned Amdroid from the ground up. No one expected that huge, huge change. ICS turned Android into something I actually enjoyed using.

Greatest mobile OS update in history.

Well GAF, I can no longer tolerate this N4 launch facade and have joined the best Galaxy team
Note II
. Even if it is brief I cannot wait to see what all the fuss is about
*hug*

The GN was an amazing phone for the mere fact it brought ICS to the table. We had no idea what ICS would bring and we've heard too much talk about a redesigned Amdroid from the ground up. No one expected that huge, huge change. ICS turned Android into something I actually enjoyed using.

Greatest mobile OS update in history.
i dunno. the momentum was already in place as far as consumers were concerned. all ICS did was bring the media onboard with prettiness.

Well GAF, I can no longer tolerate this N4 launch facade and have joined the best Galaxy team
Note II
. Even if it is brief I cannot wait to see what all the fuss is about

Welcome to the Master Race. You have been tentatively entered in the Registry of Lords. Your Scepter of Lordship will be arriving in the mail roughly one week after we have confirmed your ownership of the Product. Please don't go about town randomly hitting people over the head with your Scepter and shouting "KNEEL BEFORE ME, PEON!" as it reflects badly upon us.

DXPett1

Welcome to the Master Race. You have been tentatively entered in the Registry of Lords. Your Scepter of Lordship will be arriving in the mail roughly one week after we have confirmed your ownership of the Product. Please don't go about town randomly hitting people over the head with your Scepter and shouting "KNEEL BEFORE ME, PEON!" as it reflects badly upon us.

It's okay to call them plebs though right??

More I think about it the more I think Google needs a Nexus 5 that is basically a Note 2 with stock Android with native wacom support.

JordanKZ

We'll see Nexus devices next year, with potentially massive upgrades... For once I hope Google follow Apple's lead *shudder* and have ONE device with options for each form factor.

One phone with storage options.
One 7" tablet with storage options/mobile data.
One 10" tablet with storage options/mobile data.

Nothing else. Do not confuse consumers by continuing to sell the Nexus 4 when the next device comes along. Unless there's a huge discount on it or something.

It's been... 3 days since I got my second (and working!) Nexus 4. Although it's supposed to be an "incremental" upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus, it really isn't. The screen, battery life, performance, build quality, camera... Everything is better than the old model. Let's just hope they work out some of the kinks with the kernel over the next few months.

We'll see Nexus devices next year, with potentially massive upgrades... For once I hope Google follow Apple's lead *shudder* and have ONE device with options for each form factor.

One phone with storage options.
One 7" tablet with storage options/mobile data.
One 10" tablet with storage options/mobile data.

Nothing else. Do not confuse consumers by continuing to sell the Nexus 4 when the next device comes along. Unless there's a huge discount on it or something.

It's been... 3 days since I got my second (and working!) Nexus 4. Although it's supposed to be an "incremental" upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus, it really isn't. The screen, battery life, performance, build quality, camera... Everything is better than the old model. Let's just hope they work out some of the kinks with the kernel over the next few months.

but Apple hasn't been doing that since like the 3GS... they have a tiered system with 3 phones and 2 10" tablets and they've still got a stock of iPad 3rd gens in channel. and we'll see what happens next year with the iPad mini, but do you not expect them to have the lowest model drop in price and spec bump the higher ones like they did with the 10" and phone lines?

Vanillalite

Took you long enough to figure it out, jeez. Duarte had been with one shit company after another before he just said fuck it and joined his old boss Andy Rubin and made Android into the world dominator it is today.

Yeah. I love the hideous lock screen, clock, loading circle and the "app has crashed, sorry" messages. This is what winning feels like.

Seriously, that loading circle is driving me nuts. Same for the orange pre-4.0 highlights in some apps. Fix this shit, Durate!

Prozel

Woo, time for a new phone!

The HTC One S was on offer today and down to a reasonable price. I've had a look on since release but the price has been too high. So exited to get away from Windows Phone 7. It's okay but missing playing with roms and such.

Is the best 10" tablet the Galaxy 32gb? I really don't need a lot of space would I be ok with the 16gb that is only $299?

Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 use a pretty old (by tablet standards) Nvidia Tegra 2 SoC that's pretty underpowered... no NEON video decoding instructions etc... avoid if you ever plan to watch videos on your tablet.

go for a Tegra 3 based device... or a Nexus 10!

Yeah. I love the hideous lock screen, clock, loading circle and the "app has crashed, sorry" messages. This is what winning feels like.

Seriously, that loading circle is driving me nuts. Same for the orange pre-4.0 highlights in some apps. Fix this shit, Durate!
The lock screen and clock look fine on my Note II. I never have loading delays on my device except in games. I don't have app crashing problems either, though I tend to stick to pretty popular apps. I'm winning just fine over here.

Transition from 4.0x phones to JB is easier, except for the value minded HTC 1V budget line.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 use a pretty old (by tablet standards) Nvidia Tegra 2 SoC that's pretty underpowered... no NEON video decoding instructions etc... avoid if you ever plan to watch videos on your tablet.

go for a Tegra 3 based device... or a Nexus 10!

Guess I'll just wait thanks. I'm just mad I got a htc one x like 3 months ago and the note 2 is out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom