• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTowel

Well, looks like the evo lte finally got the JB update today. Wonder how long it'll take me to remember why I went with cm10 in the first place.

Well, looks like the evo lte finally got the JB update today. Wonder how long it'll take me to remember why I went with cm10 in the first place.

Ever since finding out about the availibility of AOSP ROMs I don't get excited about carrier updates anymore. By the time they update i've been happily on AOSP for months... Usually one or even two Android updates ahead of where the carrier has just updated too. I mean c'mon.

This. Looks. Awesome.

nexusae0_yotaoverall.jpg

Android Police

Here's a video of the phone working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQN8JTyZYQ

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wow clicking photos actually doesn't blow balls anymore in the FB app... ditto with bringing up comments on photos...

It took awhile, but this new update is FTW awesome!

Vanillalite

In other awesome APP news...

Android Police!

Google Calendar App Updated - New Notification Actions, Event Location Suggestions, And Quick Event Creation

We figure this is just another example of Google's apps catching up with Android's rich notifications, introduced in 4.1.

In other awesome APP news...

Android Police!

Google Calendar App Updated - New Notification Actions, Event Location Suggestions, And Quick Event Creation

Yeah I'm glad they finally added in contact address match searching, but it needs go further. You should be able to put in the business/shop/office and based on your geographical location it should pop up options for addresses for your appointment, because that would make appointment reminders in Google Now based on geolocation more useful. If I'm thinking of attending a show and I type in the first few letters of the venue it should show up in the calendar app, without me having to later rely on Google Maps doing the leg work.

Antagon

One S is a very long phone for its screen size though.

JB update for the Razr i should be incoming

It is the best phone for your demands, geloof me ;)

Ik geloof je ;)

But it's going to be both my work and personal phone and I can get it without tax and my work will pay 200 Euros if I get it through their dealer (CoolBlue) which does not sell the Razr I. All the phones that they do sell seem to have some large drawback, like shit battery life, too large, small internal storage/no microsd slot, no notification light.

Mudkips

Banned
If I'm on my phone (Note II) using Talk (the Google Chat app - Not Google+, not Messenger), how the fuck do I video chat with people on their phones? The only people who show up with a camera icon are people on a PC. My own status shows as just the circle (no camera icon).

And where the fuck does the Talk app come from? It's not anywhere in the Play store. Does it ride along with the Gmail or Google+ apps?

Beyond that, why does the Calendar show all of my deleted shit? It's like every recurring event I've deleted from other devices has come back to life on my phone (and ONLY on my phone).

so i feel super guilty right now. my dad, an executive just got asked by the IT sup in his new company what phone he should get from Verizon.

He asked me and having all the choices available, i just told him to get the Droid DNA so i could play with the 1080p screen and quad core processor lol.

should i have had him get the GS3? or the Note 2?

i really should have had him get a razr maxx hd since he already has a razr maxx

hmmm...i justified my choice my thinking he might not want to confuse his work and personal phones...but he would get great battery life...and the DNA will definitely not stand up to the maxx hd on battery life

tino

Banned
Its not a bad phone. If he read excel sheet then he can justify it.

If it indeed has short battery life, you can buy a Razr maxx and swap with him.

Its not a bad phone. If he read excel sheet then he can justify it.

If it indeed has short battery life, you can buy a Razr maxx and swap with him.

honestly he could complain to his work and they would just switch him out to an S3 or a razr maxx hd. i would probably push for him to get an s3, or if he weathers the storm long enough, an s4. businesses often get away with upgrading whenever they damn well please.

i guess in hindsight i made the right choice. also he would probably like sense, or at least be familiar with sense 4.1 since i made him get the rezound at his previous job.

Vanillalite

Thankfully all the rumoured devices for 2013 seem to include plenty bigger batteries. It's time.

To be fair the GS3, GNote, One XL, One X+, Droid DNA, GNote II, One V, GS3 Mini, Atrix HD, Moto Razr i etc... all released in 2012 and have better battery life than the Nexus at least going by those chart numbers...

PS: Hate on me what you will GAF, but outside of the OMFG awesome off contract price this round of the Nexus phone has been rather disaappointing across the board.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
To be fair the GS3, GNote, One XL, One X+, Droid DNA, GNote II, One V, GS3 Mini, Atrix HD, Moto Razr i etc... all released in 2012 and have better battery life than the Nexus at least going by those chart numbers...

PS: Hate on me what you will GAF, but outside of the OMFG awesome off contract price this round of the Nexus phone has been rather disaappointing across the board.

I have the international s3, battery is excellent. The new nexus is such a disappointment.

Nexus 4 battery life results:
http://blog.gsmarena.com/google-nex...test-see-if-its-better-than-the-galaxy-nexus/

Summary: Battery not good. The Droid DNA is actually better.

Lol...no LTE and not so good battery life ...

I totally agree on this!

tino

Banned

The N4 is basically a great phone for your parents; non hardcore smartphone users; prepaid users.

Not at all. I was skeptical of the N4 almost from the moment it was rumored to have only an 8 GB version. Later we found out there was also a 16 GB version, LOL.

It's clear that Nexus isn't supposed to be a 'mainstream' smartphone just from the decisions that Google has made with it. The N4 really is Galaxy Nexus II, same problems same limitations but now it's LG instead of Samsung. I don't think there's anybody left who will argue that Google isn't purposely crippling the devices so they won't be competing with their own OEMs, who sell much more expensive phones at a profit.

The N4 is basically a great phone for your parents; non hardcore smartphone users; prepaid users.

At it's core, it's a phone for developers. When you're developing an app, you aren't taking the phone everywhere, you're at your computer. The battery life reflects this. A developer doesn't need a ton of storage, just enough to hold the OS and the stuff they need for testing the app and the app itself. Nor does he need to run the phone full-tilt for hours at a time playing a game, he builds his app on his computer anyways and only uses the phone for testing so overheating is entirely irrelevant. When you think about it, the N4 is absolutely the perfect developer phone, which is what Nexus was always about in the first place.

Your parents would hate a stock Android device, they just want to pull the phone out of the box and use it. A phone with an OEM skin like TouchWiz or Sense is much better for that because of all the extra features and functionality added to the device. You have to buy and install a ton of extra apps to only partially replicate the functionality that comes out of the box on my Note II, for example. Stuff like S-Pen and Multi-Window can't be replicated period. And then the apps all work and look different from each other. This is why the ideal smartphone for your parents is an iPhone 5, not an Android device, because everything looks and works the same and Apple enforces their app design guidelines with an iron fist.

DXPett1

Well GAF, I can no longer tolerate this N4 launch facade and have joined the best Galaxy team
Note II
. Even if it is brief I cannot wait to see what all the fuss is about

3phemeral

It's clear that Nexus isn't supposed to be a 'mainstream' smartphone just from the decisions that Google has made with it. ...

At it's core, it's a phone for developers. When you're developing an app, you aren't taking the phone everywhere, you're at your computer. The battery life reflects this..
Can you really say it's a dev phone after all the v-jazzling they've done to the phone, where Duarte gushes over how it's the version they've always wanted to make?

It's no longer a single line of product, but it's a family of products meant to complement each other. The phone, the portable and stay-at-home tablets: it's certainly designed to be consumed as a group of devices (at least, Google would certainly hope that's the case). I don't believe that the N4 was meant to be a dev phone, at least, not since the Galaxy Nexus.

buhdeh

Honestly, I'm about a week away from cancelling my Nexus 4 order. This phone isn't worth the god damn headache anymore.

Not sure what I'm gonna go with now. I'm using the S3 right now and I don't really like the phone all that much. Might just sell my S3 and go back to iOS/iPhone 5, ugh.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I told you the small battery would be a killer. It should be an experience going from my Note to the N4. I hope the battery is at least comparable.

Actually, I'm not really worried. I think a firmware update will fix these battery issues.

Nexus 4 battery life results:
http://blog.gsmarena.com/google-nex...test-see-if-its-better-than-the-galaxy-nexus/

Summary: Battery not good. The Droid DNA is actually better.

stay free Google. just release the source code every few months.

So worthy of that Nexus name.

Nexus went mainstream.

I told you the small battery would be a killer. It should be an experience going from my Note to the N4. I hope the battery is at least comparable.

Actually, I'm not really worried. I think a firmware update will fix these battery issues.

but the Optimus G has the same battery and the Droid DNA has a SMALLER one and a LARGER, HIGHER RES screen.

and they both have better battery life.

I'm amazed at how Google stopped caring about Chrome. Maybe it wasn't making them nearly as much money as they had hoped. Of course I've always been with Firefox on the desktop through the good and bad years. I wish Firefox for Android would stop being so ugly-tastic.

1UJ55.jpg

Donos

Unbranded HTC One X phones in Germany (and Europe) got the ICS to Jellybean update yesterday. Ones with Carrierbranding (like Vodafone) have to wait a little longer.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
UK phones still not getting the update. HTC's UK Twitter feed still lying about it. iapetus disappointed that the rise in his O2 bill wasn't above the RPI (as some peoples' are) so that he could ditch the contract and get a new one with a non-HTC phone.

I'm amazed at how Google stopped caring about Chrome. Maybe it wasn't making them nearly as much money as they had hoped. Of course I've always been with Firefox on the desktop through the good and bad years. I wish Firefox for Android would stop being so ugly-tastic.

Eh? They haven't stopped caring about chrome at all. Either the desktop or the mobile Chrome. Desktop Chrome gets updates all the time, but because it's all handled in the background you never notice it. Chrome for Android has a massive update coming in the new year which brings version level parity with the desktop and should fix most peoples performance issues.

Screw version parity, I want QUICK CONTROLS!!! DAMN YOU GOOGY!

Performance first, then features. I'd rather they focus the next release on having smooth, consistent panning, scrolling and zooming than any features. Once they've sorted that out, then we can start bitching about the details :p

Performance first, then features. I'd rather they focus the next release on having smooth, consistent panning, scrolling and zooming than any features. Once they've sorted that out, then we can start bitching about the details :p

I want whoever works on WebKit who handles that kind of thing to fix goddamn animated GIFs.

jokkir

Should I buy an extra battery for my Nexus S or should I just save my money towards a new phone in the future? The battery would cost around $20 and my battery dies so fast now.

What say you, GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom