• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is why i've got to stop buying htc phones, damn you m7. you sound so good. but your bootloader will be locked and your S will be ON

meanwhile S4 will probably have source code out on day 0 and ROMS will flow like wine in the first few days.

yeah, definitely not playing the fool this go round, but if that 802.11ac rumor is true, then s4 better step it up and beat all these specs. fully expect sammy to come through, so i will be waiting at least until we know more about the s4.

buhdeh

Do people on this forum actually buy non-nexus phones without flashing stock/custom ROMs?

I was on CM10 for a while but all the bugs and not being able to ever rely on it 100% wasn't worth it. I don't know how many times I'd pull the phone out of my pocket and see that it rebooted itself, or how many times it just locks up when waking the phone, or how many apps just don't work right (instagram, skype) or how annoying the home button not working unless double tapped is. And this was on CM10 "stable". 10.1 is out and I guarantee the home button wake bug and the bluetooth issues are still there.

Never want to go back to the whole is this app broken or is it a CM10 bug game anymore.

I was on CM10 for a while but all the bugs and not being able to ever rely on it 100% wasn't worth it. I don't know how many times I'd pull the phone out of my pocket and see that it rebooted itself, or how many times it just locks up when waking the phone, or how many apps just don't work right (instagram, skype) or how annoying the home button not working unless double tapped is. And this was on CM10 "stable". 10.1 is out and I guarantee the home button wake bug and the bluetooth issues are still there.

Never want to go back to the whole is this app broken or is it a CM10 bug game anymore.
you couldn't put stock on whatever device it was?

You guys surprise me sometimes. Can't imagine ever using touchwiz/whatever sony's is called/sense/etc... at least that's me.

Um yes actually. The world has changed a lot since last year. I can't imagine ever using a custom ROM on my Note II. I came from Galaxy Nexus so it's not as if I don't know about stock Android.
I'm not saying it in a way like DONT YOU KNOW STOCKISBETTER.

I'm saying it to the people who dislike the fact that they get updates late. Unless you really do like default skins over stock android or any other rom.

Quixzlizx

I must be missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how to sort my Nexus 4 contacts into Group, then Alphabetical order. There is a "Contacts to Display" setting, but it only seems to let you include/exclude groups from being shown entirely. Can anyone help me out here?

I'm not saying it in a way like DONT YOU KNOW STOCKISBETTER.

I'm saying it to the people who dislike the fact that they get updates late. Unless you really do like default skins over stock android or any other rom.

I've always felt that overtime skins get a lot slower and hicky. That's the only reason why I flash stock ROM after a while. That and updates.

That said, if I had a Note I would never consider a custom/stock Android ROM.

Hieberrr

I must be missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how to sort my Nexus 4 contacts into Group, then Alphabetical order. There is a "Contacts to Display" setting, but it only seems to let you include/exclude groups from being shown entirely. Can anyone help me out here?
People app > Swipe to the left list = Groups

I've always felt that overtime skins get a lot slower and hicky. That's the only reason why I flash stock ROM after a while. That and updates.

That said, if I had a Note I would never consider a custom/stock Android ROM.
for a Note, I can see why you maybe wouldn't want to flash something too different. But man if you own an LG phone or a Sony phone or something, stock is just better in just about every way I would think.

And yeah skins begin bogged down and only get worse as long as you have it.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Do people on this forum actually buy non-nexus phones without flashing stock/custom ROMs?

YES!

phone manufactures add features that vanilla Android takes years to add.

If I'm dropping $200 on a phone, I want it to have some style.

GS3 is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Pctx

Banned
YES!

phone manufactures add features that vanilla Android takes years to add.

If I'm dropping $200 on a phone, I want it to have some style.

GS3 is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

I would agree. I've played with two GS3's on Jellybean and I am quite impressed.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Literally opened my Note and flashed AOKP on it. It's never been run on stock once. I get S Pen input on my rom just fine.

buhdeh

you couldn't put stock on whatever device it was?

You guys surprise me sometimes. Can't imagine ever using touchwiz/whatever sony's is called/sense/etc... at least that's me.

It's an S3, so by stock do you mean Touchwiz? Or do you mean stock, stock as in AOSP (i.e. what's on Nexus devices)?

Maybe I'm retarded but I thought the closest you can get to AOSP on an S3 is CM10/AOKP... Anyways, I ordered a Nexus 4 so it's a non-issue now.

Angst

You might change your mind when JB for GSII drops. It adds almost all the features introduced in the GSIII and GNII. I'm not sure if Multi-Window is in or not.

Perhaps TW is good enough on the GSIII, but I doubt they can surpass CM10.1 on the GSII. Too much stuttering and pauses for me to stomach it.

Perhaps TW is good enough on the GSIII, but I doubt they can surpass CM10.1 on the GSII. Too much stuttering and pauses for me to stomach it.

You probably got your GSII when Gingerbread was still the stock ROM. JB is just a little bit better then GB. I'm just saying. I don't even have a GSII but I'm willing to bet that Exynos 4210 Dual can handle JB + TouchWiz Nature UX just fine.

Angst

You probably got your GSII when Gingerbread was still the stock ROM. JB is just a little bit better then GB. I'm just saying. I don't even have a GSII but I'm willing to bet that Exynos 4210 Dual can handle JB + TouchWiz Nature UX just fine.

Hm, maybe I'll try it after doing a nandroid on my CM10.1 install. It sure would be nice to get MHL back.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

I thought I probably wouldn't, but my HTC One X is still stock (and now running 4.1 at last). I kept my Desire stock until I needed to root it to keep it working, and I'm guessing the One X will get the same treatment. There are just enough apps that I can't or won't run on a rooted device to make me stick with the phone's default experience until I really have to make the change.

iirc i went less than 24 hours after getting my Note 2 to have TWRP and a deodexed ROM with the multi window mod up and running.

Pfft. I did the root and bootloader unlock on my VZW GNII on day 1 of each release. My ROM was deodexed to start with so I could apply all the mods I made to it to remove Verizon's stupid changes and then I odexed my ROM myself. So I'm actually odexed right now to take advantage of the improved performance that gives.

You might change your mind when JB for GSII drops. It adds almost all the features introduced in the GSIII and GNII. I'm not sure if Multi-Window is in or not.

GS2 doesn't get multi-window due to the phone's resolution. gets everything else though iirc. Samsung about to smash it out the park while other companies aren't even updating THIS YEAR'S flagships.

Pfft. I did the root and bootloader unlock on my VZW GNII on day 1 of each release. My ROM was deodexed to start with so I could apply all the mods I made to it to remove Verizon's stupid changes and then I odexed my ROM myself. So I'm actually odexed right now to take advantage of the improved performance that gives.

got my phone at midday, first stop that Saturday. was out shopping all day with it on DAT ~55% BATTERY OUT DA BOX. got home in the evening, but knew we still had to go drop someone off at a birthday party in the middle of nowhere, do some other stuff, then pick them up again before the night is over. multi-window to find the place while also browsing, w00t! finally got home for the evening, let the phone charge a bit, then modded.

TLDR version; i did it as soon as i could.

GS2 doesn't get multi-window due to the phone's resolution. gets everything else though iirc. Samsung about to smash it out the park while other companies aren't even updating THIS YEAR'S flagships.

Yeah, I'm actually amazed that Samsung is bringing JB update to GSII and OG Note. It's a complete turnaround from the usual support that even flagship Android devices typically get. Maybe Samsung did learn something from the storm of criticism they got for not upgrading the original Galaxy S to ICS. I wonder if HTC, Sony, Moto, and the rest know what getting lapped feels like. It feels like this.

In the meantime I'm feeling pretty optimistic my Note II will be seeing Key Lime Pie and probably the Android after KLP too, and it's not a Nexus device.

Donos

Got my One X jellybean update yesterday and wtf they fucked the sideway scrolling homescreen again. It's now fixed to the middle so you can scroll endlessly through the homescreens.
They did the same with the latest gingerbread update for my old desire hd.
I like the scrolling wallpapers so this is sad. Don't know why HTC changed it in gingerbread, then back to scrolling in 4.0 then back to fixed in 4.1.

Yeah, I'm actually amazed that Samsung is bringing JB update to GSII and OG Note. It's a complete turnaround from the usual support that even flagship Android devices typically get. Maybe Samsung did learn something from the storm of criticism they got for not upgrading the original Galaxy S to ICS. I wonder if HTC, Sony, Moto, and the rest know what getting lapped feels like. It feels like this.

In the meantime I'm feeling pretty optimistic my Note II will be seeing Key Lime Pie and probably the Android after KLP too, and it's not a Nexus device.

the truth is... they couldn't really do a proper and reliable update of the GS1 to ICS.

there isn't enough space in the system partition. they would have to repartition the entire device, data shift, require a certain amount of free space and do some other stuff that's cool if you're a techie doing it yourself on XDA, but not anywhere near reliable enough for a mass consumer rollout.

Got my One X jellybean update yesterday and wtf they fucked the sideway scrolling homescreen again. It's now fixed to the middle so you can scroll endlessy through the homescreens.
I like the scrolling wallpapers so this is sad. Don't know why HTC change it in gingerbread, then back to scrolling in 4.0 then back to fixed in 4.1.

they don't even need to do that, lots of other launchers have infinite scrolling and scrolling wallpapers, they just snap back when you loop around.

jokkir

Can someone explain to me Rom Toolbox and what features make it sorta like Titanium Backup? It says it combines apps like Titanium Backup but how and what features exactly?

darkwing

Sony's JB roadmap

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2012/12...bean-android-4-1-for-2012-xperia-smartphones/

Hello everyone,

We’d like to bring you up-to-speed with the latest in our Android 4.1 rollout scheduling.

First up, the upgrade plans* for Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V are progressing as planned – these smartphones will start to receive Jelly Bean during February and March.

Next up, Xperia P, Xperia J and Xperia go will be upgraded from the end of March. Then Xperia S, Xperia SL, Xperia ion and Xperia acro S will follow in the subsequent weeks.

We’re particularly excited about the Sony Xperia Jelly Bean features and functionality – we look forward to bringing you more information on this in the New Year.

The decision has been taken not to upgrade Xperia U, Xperia miro, Xperia tipo, and Xperia sola beyond Android 4.0.

Feel free to drop a comment below, and keep your eyes on the blog as we’ll be sharing more detailed news/updates as soon as we can.

*Availability and rollout timing will vary by market and customer variants

Can someone explain to me Rom Toolbox and what features make it sorta like Titanium Backup? It says it combines apps like Titanium Backup but how and what features exactly?

it has an app backup/restore manager with most of the options that Titanium Backup has.

backup and restore user and system apps and data, manage the location (system, user, sd) and other stuff like that.

basically, the Ultimate Backup Pro app and some of the other JRummy apps are combined and some other functionality is added to make Rom Toolbox Pro into a ridiculously stacked package. there's a huge list of the features on the Play Store page.

i'm guessing that you're asking because you saw it was on sale for $2.99 and wondering if you should buy it?

jokkir

it has an app backup/restore manager with most of the options that Titanium Backup has.

backup and restore user and system apps and data, manage the location (system, user, sd) and other stuff like that.

basically, the Ultimate Backup Pro app and some of the other JRummy apps are combined and some other functionality is added to make Rom Toolbox Pro into a ridiculously stacked package. there's a huge list of the features on the Play Store page.

i'm guessing that you're asking because you saw it was on sale for $2.99 and wondering if you should buy it?

Pretty much. Just wondering because all I need from Titanium is the ability to batch restore user apps and data. I mean you can go "it's only 3$!" but if I were to say that with every app that I was thinking of getting, I'd probably have lost a ton of money for apps that I didn't really need.

But any who, I bought it. A tad slow but seems very feature rich and stuff I need/want for my phone :3

Polari

lol, this is the response from the Sony shill working the blog:

Hey Ganesh, Andre, Ikhwan – thanks for your questions,
The quality of Xperia’s software experience is dependent on a number of factors including: screen resolution, hardware platform and RAM. In the case of Xperia go, this combination came together in a way that meant the user experience running JB was not adversely affected.
Unfortunately, in the case of Xperia tipo, Xperia miro , Xperia U and Xperia sola this wasn’t the case – so we made the decision to keep them on Ice Cream Sandwich.
I hope that makes sense?
Ant.

Yet - as far as I can tell anyway - the U and the go have the same specs except the U has a higher resolution screen? 4.1 only works on low res screens confirmed. Fuck you Sony.

Pretty much. Just wondering because all I need from Titanium is the ability to batch restore user apps and data. I mean you can go "it's only 3$!" but if I were to say that with every app that I was thinking of getting, I'd probably have lost a ton of money for apps that I didn't really need.

But any who, I bought it. A tad slow but seems very feature rich and stuff I need/want for my phone :3
yeah, i'm not saying buy apps you don't really need. i mean, i thought about buying a podcast app but i don't really have a use for one.

panda21

Got my One X jellybean update yesterday and wtf they fucked the sideway scrolling homescreen again. It's now fixed to the middle so you can scroll endlessly through the homescreens.
I like the scrolling wallpapers so this is sad. Don't know why HTC changed it in gingerbread, then back to scrolling in 4.0 then back to fixed in 4.1.

i was wondering about that, i thought perhaps it had been fixed the whole time and i just hadn't noticed. its so stupid, endless scrolling can work fine with scrolling wallpaper

TheTowel

I went back to an almost stock sense 4+ ROM when JB released for the evo lte. I don't get why there's a space between the last 2 home screens. Why not just make an illusion that they're right next to each other?
It has this strange jump to the next screen.

Otherwise it's much faster and I'm waiting to see what kind of tweaks the devs can do with the new base. I installed a few nice tweaks. Aosp recent apps, 4.2 keyboard. Proximity sensor is fucked. People over at xda think the initiated ota was a test release and the pushed ota will have fixes.

Hieberrr

I just received my black Diztronic case. I took some pictures using my camera, but they are all RAW images and I don't have any way to convert them to jpg/png right now.

First of all, the Diztronic logo is barely noticeable on the matte black. So that's good news!

Texture & Material
The case has an extremely nice matte finish that is smooth and also a little soft. I looks nice, but it feels a little strange since the matte finish/case feels softer than the S-Line. The case, even though it may feel softer in comparison to the S-Line is actually thicker. I checked them both side by side and compared the thickness of the case by observing the cutouts, and the Diztronic is definitely thicker. The one downside to this is that it's a little slippery compared to the S-Line. While the S-Line provides grooves and different textures to offer a better grip, the Diztronic is pretty much all matte and makes it harder to grip.

Rim
The rim around the screen is also thicker, thus covering more of the glass, which protects the glass better than the S-Line and provides more space between the glass and the surface that you may put it on. Since it covers more of the glass, my first concern was whether or not it covered the actual usable screen. Turns out, it doesn't as it leaves a couple of millimeters around the usable screen on both the left and right sides.

Cutouts
Cutouts were perfect. Nothing to complain about here.

Buttons
The buttons are extremely easy to press as you can feel where the buttons are. The one downside though is that the volume rocker is one single piece, so if you aren't looking, it's hard to distinguish between + and -.

Overall
The case is extremely nice, extremely professional looking, and most importantly seems to provide your phone good enough protection. For $12.50, it's easily one of the better cases out there. I highly recommend it. Do I recommend it over the S-Line? I'd say maybe. It's hard for me to decide since I'll be using both. Aesthetically, the Diztronic case is much nicer than the S-Line.

Shipping
Shipping to Canada was pretty fast. I think it took around 5 business days or so? Definitely waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy faster than waiting for one to come from China or HK.

PROS:
- Looks nice
- Thicker than S-Line
- Bigger rim to cover more of the glass
- Cutouts and buttons are perfect

Cons:
- Slippery/hard to hold
- Volume rocker - hard to distinguish between + and - if not looking.

Brazilian company Gradiente just released this:

015AJI980000000_Ampliada.jpg

http://www.gradiente.com.br/prod/vi...3-3g-wi-fi-camera-5mp-cartao-2gb-grafite.aspx

They hold the rights to the iphone name here, doubt Apple will be able to do anything, knowing our laws.

The GNex had to be sold as Galaxy X because of a company that holds the right to the name Nexus.

Both the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 7 passed the brazilian equivalent of the FCC, so I'm curious to know how they will be changed.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So my dad has a Flytouch 3 tablet. One of those generic ebay tablets.
It has 2.3.3 on there. Its model P001 RTL8188-20111206.

He likes it in general, but it apparently comes with the Chinese Android market app, and he would like the US market on there. Is it possible? I have looked through XDA, but most of the discussion is related to getting 2.3 for those who got 2.2 stock, and a little about a couple of 2.3.3 roms.

So anyone have any advice on how to do about it? If possible. Or any advice on a decent US based rom I can flash on there?

THanks.

Threi

notag
lol, this is the response from the Sony shill working the blog:

Yet - as far as I can tell anyway - the U and the go have the same specs except the U has a higher resolution screen? 4.1 only works on low res screens confirmed. Fuck you Sony.
Time to hit up XDA for some CM10 goodness?

Danj

If I look on Amazon UK there are now a buttload of budget tablets between £50 and £100. If I can't afford something half decent like a Nexus 7/Kindle Fire HD/Nook HD, how do I figure out which of these budget efforts is the least worst? For the purpose I have in mind it needs to have the Play store and also ICS or better would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom