• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Give me next year's Nexus 7 with a higher resolution screen and the leaked specs of that Tegra 4 chip @ $200 and I'll be extremely happy!!

So my dad has a Flytouch 3 tablet. One of those generic ebay tablets.
It has 2.3.3 on there. Its model P001 RTL8188-20111206.

He likes it in general, but it apparently comes with the Chinese Android market app, and he would like the US market on there. Is it possible? I have looked through XDA, but most of the discussion is related to getting 2.3 for those who got 2.2 stock, and a little about a couple of 2.3.3 roms.

So anyone have any advice on how to do about it? If possible. Or any advice on a decent US based rom I can flash on there?

THanks.

try downloading and installing the latest Play Store APK to see if it will work.

If I look on Amazon UK there are now a buttload of budget tablets between £50 and £100. If I can't afford something half decent like a Nexus 7/Kindle Fire HD/Nook HD, how do I figure out which of these budget efforts is the least worst? For the purpose I have in mind it needs to have the Play store and also ICS or better would be good.

save up for a Nexus 7.

Antagon

Antagon said:
My Milestone is dead and I'm locking for some tips for à new phone. Budget is 350 Euros max, cheaper is better of course. I'm not a fan of huge screens, prefer a screen of 4" or even a bit smaller. I'd like something with decent battery life, good support for updates and a nice screen. It should be powerful enough to provide a snappy interface, but won't really use it for intensive tasks.

The Nexus 4 is not sold here btw, so that's not an option.

Anyone got some tips?

Since not a single device that I can get through my work fits my demands, I decided to throw them all overboard and order a Xperia T. Won't get it until January though I'm afraid.

Submarino Conversível;45548651 said:
Brazilian company Gradiente just released this:

015AJI980000000_Ampliada.jpg

http://www.gradiente.com.br/prod/vi...3-3g-wi-fi-camera-5mp-cartao-2gb-grafite.aspx

They hold the rights to the iphone name here, doubt Apple will be able to do anything, knowing our laws.

The GNex had to be sold as Galaxy X because of a company that holds the right to the name Nexus.

Both the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 7 passed the brazilian equivalent of the FCC, so I'm curious to know how they will be changed.

OK one solution from Facebook

66701_471174619591594_1509726663_n.jpg

Danj

save up for a Nexus 7.

That's not helpful. The particular situation that it's needed for may turn out to be time sensitive so it may be that I can't wait until the end of January to get something (which is when I would next get paid).

Anyone care to give me some serious suggestions? I saw there was a Sumvision tablet with Jelly Bean on it, anyone know if it's any good, for example?

That's not helpful. The particular situation that it's needed for may turn out to be time sensitive so it may be that I can't wait until the end of January to get something (which is when I would next get paid).

Anyone care to give me some serious suggestions? I saw there was a Sumvision tablet with Jelly Bean on it, anyone know if it's any good, for example?

i'm being 100% serious. if saving money is not the issue i don't see any scenario where waiting and getting a Nexus 7 isn't the best option.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

No, he's right. Save up for the Nexus 7. Those super budget ones may exist but we sure don't know they do. But if you have to get one, you won't find much feedback here. Good luck, though.

DagsJT

The Nexus 7 is "cheap" for the spec of what it is. You'd be buying a worse tablet and actually paying more in a way. Sell something to raise some money and get a Nexus 7, it's not even worth looking into a "cheaper" tablet.

I just received my black Diztronic case. I took some pictures using my camera, but they are all RAW images and I don't have any way to convert them to jpg/png right now.

First of all, the Diztronic logo is barely noticeable on the matte black. So that's good news!

Texture & Material
The case has an extremely nice matte finish that is smooth and also a little soft. I looks nice, but it feels a little strange since the matte finish/case feels softer than the S-Line. The case, even though it may feel softer in comparison to the S-Line is actually thicker. I checked them both side by side and compared the thickness of the case by observing the cutouts, and the Diztronic is definitely thicker. The one downside to this is that it's a little slippery compared to the S-Line. While the S-Line provides grooves and different textures to offer a better grip, the Diztronic is pretty much all matte and makes it harder to grip.

Rim
The rim around the screen is also thicker, thus covering more of the glass, which protects the glass better than the S-Line and provides more space between the glass and the surface that you may put it on. Since it covers more of the glass, my first concern was whether or not it covered the actual usable screen. Turns out, it doesn't as it leaves a couple of millimeters around the usable screen on both the left and right sides.

Cutouts
Cutouts were perfect. Nothing to complain about here.

Buttons
The buttons are extremely easy to press as you can feel where the buttons are. The one downside though is that the volume rocker is one single piece, so if you aren't looking, it's hard to distinguish between + and -.

Overall
The case is extremely nice, extremely professional looking, and most importantly seems to provide your phone good enough protection. For $12.50, it's easily one of the better cases out there. I highly recommend it. Do I recommend it over the S-Line? I'd say maybe. It's hard for me to decide since I'll be using both. Aesthetically, the Diztronic case is much nicer than the S-Line.

Shipping
Shipping to Canada was pretty fast. I think it took around 5 business days or so? Definitely waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy faster than waiting for one to come from China or HK.

PROS:
- Looks nice
- Thicker than S-Line
- Bigger rim to cover more of the glass
- Cutouts and buttons are perfect

Cons:
- Slippery/hard to hold
- Volume rocker - hard to distinguish between + and - if not looking.

Great, well thought out posts like this deserve to be noticed and praised as it probably took you a while to type out. I found this useful. Thanks Hieberrr!

i would say get this if you were in the US because it's not TERRIBLE and it's only 60% of the price of a Nexus 7. but seriously, get the Nexus. stuff under, up to and even slightly above that price range is generally terrible.

tino

Banned

You can't afford a Nook Tablet? Kindle Fire HD? Not even an used one?

Thats the cheapest tablet I would recommend somebody. The problem with China cheap tablet is that you don't have support. Whatever you get out of box is all you going to get for the life time of the tablet.

CM10 was a buggy mess on my One XL. Not gonna bother with it on Xperia, even though Sony shittily made the S update April or later.

don't tell me that. i have an AT&T one x and i'm about to switch to CM10 lol.

i'm gonna back up my sd card and fully format it though, because i don't want any of those sd card bugs i have been hearing about with 4.2 because of the multiple users things.

apparently even though it's for tablets, it has been affecting phones.

someone ease my fears on this please. i'm sure it's simpler than that.

Polari

Give me next year's Nexus 7 with a higher resolution screen and the leaked specs of that Tegra 4 chip @ $200 and I'll be extremely happy!!

I don't really care about a higher resolution screen, just hope it has a higher quality one. Mine had ghosting and generally seemed a little washed out, and reviews seem to suggest both the Kindle Fire HD and the Nook HD have it beat. Also, more consistent build quality and a front-facing webcam that isn't completely atrocious.

Hieberrr

App Suggestion time!

I was looking for a nice simple and good podcast app for Android and a few users have suggested: Volksempfänger

I gave it a try and IT. IS. BEAUTIFUL.

It does everything I want including auto download, refreshes, etc... So before you buy a podcast app, give this a try. You won't be disappointed (plus it's only in alpha right now :p).

Get it here

derder

So I just received a CC in the mail that says "Recently, you reported your Everywhere Reward MasterCard lost or stolen. Here is your replacement."

I naturally started freaking out; thinking someone signed up for a CC under my name and requested another card. The only hint of information that I have about where the card came from is the address field which says "From: IRR CREAM".

I google'd it and the only hit that I got was from xda... turns out that this was the $25 google play credit for buying a GNex.

Fuck you, google. My heart is still racing.

So I just received a CC in the mail that says "Recently, you reported your Everywhere Reward MasterCard lost or stolen. Here is your replacement."

I naturally started freaking out; thinking someone signed up for a CC under my name and requested another card. The only hint of information that I have about where the card came from is the address field which says "From: IRR CREAM".

I google'd it and the only hit that I got was from xda... turns out that this was the $25 google play credit for buying a GNex.

Fuck you, google. My heart is still racing.

are you in the US?

that doesn't quite make sense to me. why would you have gotten a credit card for a $25 credit?

You can't afford a Nook Tablet? Kindle Fire HD? Not even an used one?

Thats the cheapest tablet I would recommend somebody. The problem with China cheap tablet is that you don't have support. Whatever you get out of box is all you going to get for the life time of the tablet.
and a lot of those cheap tablet makers are non compliant with the GPL. there's no kernel source released so don't expect support from 3rd party devs either.

are you in the US?

that doesn't quite make sense to me. why would you have gotten a credit card for a $25 credit?

sounds like one of those prepaid gift cards with a credit card number

So it appears Google have decided people in the UK don't really need to use wireless keyboards and so they don't have any support for our keyboard layout - which is mildly annoying.

What's more annoying is the only workarounds I can find either require rooting or paying for a weird app to intercept it. Do the great minds of GAF have any better thoughts than my Googling so far?

Vanillalite

are you in the US?

That's what all companies send now. They just mail you a prepaid like Visa card 2 months later or something.

PS: Sleep tight, grim rite, we have two hundred couches where you can sleep tight....

So it appears Google have decided people in the UK don't really need to use wireless keyboards and so they don't have any support for our keyboard layout - which is mildly annoying.

What's more annoying is the only workarounds I can find either require rooting or paying for a weird app to intercept it. Do the great minds of GAF have any better thoughts than my Googling so far?

looks like you need root or cash. i suggest root.

TheTowel

don't tell me that. i have an AT&T one x and i'm about to switch to CM10 lol.

i'm gonna back up my sd card and fully format it though, because i don't want any of those sd card bugs i have been hearing about with 4.2 because of the multiple users things.

apparently even though it's for tablets, it has been affecting phones.

someone ease my fears on this please. i'm sure it's simpler than that.

Maybe the older builds of cm10. Very few bugs when I used it my daily driver for my evo lte.

Vanillalite

CM10 was a buggy mess on my One XL. Not gonna bother with it on Xperia, even though Sony shittily made the S update April or later.

Uh maybe the early builds, but I have a One XL and things are running fine here. I'm on the latest nightly with a custom kernel.

aaaaannnnnddddd.....

CyanogenMod said:
Exynos Security Bug

No doubt the press will be making the rounds on the recent Exynos 4 security issue. As of this morning, the patches for Exynos 4412 and 4210 have been merged into our 10.1 source.

10.1 nightlies from this evening forward are not affected. We will also be working on adapting the patch to our jellybean and ics branches where necessary.

Protip: In the end, security always comes down to you as an end user. Be smart, and educate others.
https://plus.google.com/117962666888533781522/posts/T6Ce89WCBnp

your move Samsung.

Vanillalite

Btw... Evo LTE is a penny on amazon right now for both new and upgrades. Doesn't matter of you are solo or on a family deal.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Music Manager is the biggest piece of shit I've ever been forced to use. I'm trying to download my whole library to stick on my NAS.

It just stops randomly at certain songs. I have to pause and resume. This is a major pain when you're not at your computer. I left it on for a day and only 736 songs downloaded. That is absurd.

gcubed

Google Music Manager is the biggest piece of shit I've ever been forced to use. I'm trying to download my whole library to stick on my NAS.

It just stops randomly at certain songs. I have to pause and resume. This is a major pain when you're not at your computer. I left it on for a day and only 736 songs downloaded. That is absurd.

where was your whole library before? I couldn't even imagine trying to download it all. I've downloaded ones i've bought that don't D/L but thats at the most 20-100 songs.

krae_man

I just snagged one of the 7" Galaxy Tab 2's for $150. This thing runs pretty smooth. I like the fact that I'm not losing much for movie watching comparred to my HP Touchpad since I prefer original aspect ratio. Not sure if I will miss the extra width for web browsing or not, Time will tell I guess.

I decided to switch because this one has a memory card slot. I want to be able to transfer photos from my digital Camera to my tablet to upload online while on vacation. Also Touchpads seem to have held their value pretty well and I can probably sell it for about what I paid for it.

Plus, I finally have a device I can buy unlimited turns in Triple Town on!

you're right about that. it's a shitty program.

hope this music match works well once i reupload.

Bboy AJ

where was your whole library before? I couldn't even imagine trying to download it all. I've downloaded ones i've bought that don't D/L but thats at the most 20-100 songs.
On a few scattered hard drives. I thought it would be easier to just download the whole library onto my NAS, fix the tags, and reupload. Maybe not with this crappy program.

you're right about that. it's a shitty program.

hope this music match works well once i reupload.

Let me know how it goes. I have to decide if I need a long weekend to upload this nonsense.

Vanillalite

I'm still trying to figure out just who the fuck would even buy that Galaxy Camera. I mean are people really so hard up that they need a camera with a mobile internet connection especially when the camera is $500 + a monthly data fee?

I've really tried to figure out who would justify the purchase, but I just can't figure this one out.

I'm still trying to figure out just who the fuck would even buy that Galaxy Camera. I mean are people really so hard up that they need a camera with a mobile internet connection especially when the camera is $500 + a monthly data fee?

I've really tried to figure out who would justify the purchase, but I just can't figure this one out.

maybe if Sony made a point and shoot peeps would buy it.

but at this point, i'm not sure why point and shoots still exist.

in my opinion there is no market for point and shoots. smartphone cameras have gotten to the point where casual peeps should be good taking pictures with that, and for a jump in quality should be moving up to a DSLR or at least a micro 2/3 or whatever their called.

if i'm going to spend 600 on some tech it damn well better have a mobile radio/dialer/microphone

if you are looking for a compact camera look no further than your cellphone..

i dunno maybe i'm wrong, but i am always trying to keep from carrying more than 1 device around. 2 if i want to be able to bring a tablet along (usually just for airplane trips)

speaking of tablets...

i'm loving this N10, except for the fact that i barely use it. but when i do, it's the bees knees. i use it just slightly more than i used my N7. still have both, will probably sell the N7 before too much longer, maybe trade it in at gamestop for some xbox/google points

tino

Banned

Do you have a camera. If you do, you would understand.

Basically its a casual travel camera but with the function to upload to facebook automatically. Also easier to twit and foursquare.

Zeppu

They should've teamed up and marketed it as an Instagram camera.

...and then get instantly screwed once Instagram changes the policy.

RayStorm

I would... if I could use it as a phone. I don't think I would mind the bulk considering the improved versatility/quality when taking pictures. But over here in Europe it's a good bit less expensive too.

Vanillalite

Do you have a camera. If you do, you would understand.

Basically its a casual travel camera but with the function to upload to facebook automatically. Also easier to twit and foursquare.

I'm not seeing how I should understand. For quick pics we all have smartphones. For $500 I'd want a DSLR. This falls in between in no man's land for me.

The problem with the Galaxy Camera is that it isn't actually a good camera compared to regular point and shoot models. If I wanted a smartphone quality camera, well, I'm just use my smartphone!

maybe if Sony made a point and shoot peeps would buy it.

but at this point, i'm not sure why point and shoots still exist.

in my opinion there is no market for point and shoots. smartphone cameras have gotten to the point where casual peeps should be good taking pictures with that, and for a jump in quality should be moving up to a DSLR or at least a micro 2/3 or whatever their called.

if i'm going to spend 600 on some tech it damn well better have a mobile radio/dialer/microphone

if you are looking for a compact camera look no further than your cellphone..

i dunno maybe i'm wrong, but i am always trying to keep from carrying more than 1 device around. 2 if i want to be able to bring a tablet along (usually just for airplane trips)
Well, I use a Nex-C3 and smartphones are not good enough yet for me to use as a camera. I will keep buying dedicated camera's. I am by no means a professional photographer, but photography for me is more than a smartphone's camera could satisfy. My brother's Gnex works for him (though sometimes he complains about the image quality), but it never would for me. And also my current phone is an HTC Inc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom