• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
I'm not seeing how I should understand. For quick pics we all have smartphones. For $500 I'd want a DSLR. This falls in between in no man's land for me.

Smartphone sensor size is at best 1/3.2", this camera has a 1/2.3" sensor and optical zoom.

DSLR with a connected OS will eventually come.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
but its better than a smartphone camera

Smartphone sensor size is at best 1/3.2", this camera has a 1/2.3" sensor and optical zoom.

DSLR with a connected OS will eventually come.

Yes, but it's $500 + a monthly fee, and a lot of the $500 charge has to go into the computer side of this phone.

You can get a point and shoot for half the price that's better, and if you are going to spend $500 + you best be getting something like a Canon ti3.

Sure it's better than most smartphone cameras, but you already own that device. This device is going to be extra, and the only thing it'll do better is take pictures with a mobile upload option. Except if you are going to buy and carry around a 2nd device just because you want better pictures why not get a device that takes better pics which are a much better value for the money your spending?

Again your basically spending $500 on a mediocre point and shoot that also has mobile tech build in. I've still yet to see anyone justify buying this device.

f0rk

I've got my Nexus 4 and am going to try and start using Google Music. I uploaded everything from my PC, but downloading to the phone would obviously take ages when I can just plug it in and drag drop across. So I did that, but the playlists don't sync across, the ones I make on my PC in the web browser only appear when I have 'all music' selected rather than device only. Is there a way around this without downloading 8gb of music to my phone over wifi?

edit: Also just noticed censorship on tracks marked explicit (on Drake - Take Care) :/ There's no point in using this on my desktop if it isn't going to play what I could just play in fubar really.

tino

Banned
Yes, but it's $500 + a monthly fee, and a lot of the $500 charge has to go into the computer side of this phone.

You can get a point and shoot for half the price that's better, and if you are going to spend $500 + you best be getting something like a Canon ti3.

Sure it's better than most smartphone cameras, but you already own that device. This device is going to be extra, and the only thing it'll do better is take pictures with a mobile upload option. Except if you are going to buy and carry around a 2nd device just because you want better pictures why not get a device that takes better pics which are a much better value for the money your spending?

Again your basically spending $500 on a mediocre point and shoot that also has mobile tech build in. I've still yet to see anyone justify buying this device.

Nikon V1 was 899 1 year ago. You could get one with a kit lens from one of those deal sites for 250 yesterday.

You don't have to worry about the price. Let the market worry about the price.

Which is still worse than a digital point and shoot which sells for half the price. Unless you desperately need to post everything you shoot to your Facebook right this instant, it's still a terrible value proposition.

I expect the Galaxy Camera II will have better optics and sensor though. This is just Samsung testing just how bad the picture quality has to be before no one will buy it.

looks like another phone has been renamed post release.

Sprint's Samsung Galaxy S™ II, Epic™ 4G Touch (yes, the comma is a part of the name) is now officially referred to as the Samsung Galaxy S® II on their website.

going with the name that garners more attention now eh...

maybe if Sony made a point and shoot peeps would buy it.

but at this point, i'm not sure why point and shoots still exist.

in my opinion there is no market for point and shoots. smartphone cameras have gotten to the point where casual peeps should be good taking pictures with that, and for a jump in quality should be moving up to a DSLR or at least a micro 2/3 or whatever their called.

if i'm going to spend 600 on some tech it damn well better have a mobile radio/dialer/microphone

if you are looking for a compact camera look no further than your cellphone..

i dunno maybe i'm wrong, but i am always trying to keep from carrying more than 1 device around. 2 if i want to be able to bring a tablet along (usually just for airplane trips)

Even the top tier camera of the Pureview 808 can't touch the mighty Sony RX100 point & shoot.

oh I hated the pureview 808 so much...

the sony rx100 made me a believer that a point&shoot still need to exist.

Cipherr

looks like another phone has been renamed post release.

Sprint's Samsung Galaxy S™ II, Epic™ 4G Touch (yes, the comma is a part of the name) is now officially referred to as the Samsung Galaxy S® II on their website.

going with the name that garners more attention now eh...

Damn, back-branding. Thats crazy. I wonder how hard it was to get Sprint to let go of the Epic branding. Carriers fucking love having their own little names it seems. HTC needs to get Sprint to vacate the EVO shit too.

iavi

Damn, back-branding. Thats crazy. I wonder how hard it was to get Sprint to let go of the Epic branding. Carriers fucking love having their own little names it seems. HTC needs to get Sprint to vacate the EVO shit too.

The EVO was a good branding when first debuting. Then the shift came...then the 3D. I don't even know what model they're on now.

panda21

anyone else using the swiftkey flow beta and think its a massive step back? I like using the swyping but the prediction seems to be really bad compared to usual swiftkey. Its also very hard to swype words like 'poor', 'sweet' and lots of others.

it feels like its worse than the stock android swype keyboard. if the normal swiftkey typing prediction wasn't so good i'd just use stock, but i think stock will catch up soon...

tino

Banned
Which is still worse than a digital point and shoot which sells for half the price. Unless you desperately need to post everything you shoot to your Facebook right this instant, it's still a terrible value proposition.

I expect the Galaxy Camera II will have better optics and sensor though. This is just Samsung testing just how bad the picture quality has to be before no one will buy it.

All the 10x P&S have the same 1/2.3" Sony sensor. There is no point to argue which one has better sensor. Some may have better glass.

If you want a high ratio 8x 10x zoom, there is very little you can change on the spec.

Vanillalite

anyone else using the swiftkey flow beta and think its a massive step back? I like using the swyping but the prediction seems to be really bad compared to usual swiftkey. Its also very hard to swype words like 'poor', 'sweet' and lots of others.

it feels like its worse than the stock android swype keyboard. if the normal swiftkey typing prediction wasn't so good i'd just use stock, but i think stock will catch up soon...

Honestly I feel like the latest version of Swype 1.35 has been better than the SwiftKey Flow Beta. The swyping doesn't seem to be as good, and the prediction is no where near the voodoo like abilities of normal SwiftKey. It's been rather disappointing in my usage over the past week or two.

daoster

My girlfriend got me the Nexus 7 and I freaking love it!!!! Any suggestions for a good RPG to download? I was going to buy Chrono Trigger but the reviews are less than glowing

Vanillalite

So the Asia version of the One XL Jelly Bean hit yesterday. XDA already has a clean version for English users.

People are saying the new ROM is giving them a 1000 point boost in quadrant scores, and like 500ms less in sun spider. Impressive to say the least. Quad scores are in the 6000 range now.

Zapages

Maybe I just got Jelly Beaned on my galaxy S2? I just received an OTA for an update on my ATT Galaxy S2. :)

Its 80360KB (80.36 MB)

EDIT: Looks like it might just 4.0.4. Really AT&T. :|

Vanillalite

GAF gonna hate me...

wpid-haters-gonna-hate31.jpeg

I switched from CM back to Sense over my break.

Vanillalite

so you tell everyone it's good enough for their daily driver and then you ditch it!

What made you switch back?

The Jelly Bean ROM for my phone from HTC finally hit in Asia. XDA of course already had the zip and stuff ready to go. Many of us were curious, but didn't want to switch from AOKP or CM. Yet I kept hearing good things so I wanted to check it out for myself.

To be fair I still like CM, and I might switch back. Plus I didn't switch back to old sense either.

Vanillalite

Yep browser benchmark and quad score went through the roof verses CM10 and old ICS Sense. I'll post pics later. G2G for now to see my GF graduate! :D

I see, well if the improvements you mentioned above are noticeable then I'd probably cave too.

I wish all carrier skins were as scaled back as Motorola's. Sense is just too much. I wonder what they'll do with 5.0.

panda21

Yep browser benchmark and quad score went through the roof verses CM10 and old ICS Sense. I'll post pics later. G2G for now to see my GF graduate! :D

thats interesting, I would have assumed the scores would be high in cm10 too (assuming you have updated to 4.1 not 4.2)

I just went to Sense 4+ after using cm10 on my one x and sense certainly seems to be able to do some voodoo with the battery life, it lasts way longer.

i just wish some parts of sense weren't so ugly...

Hieberrr

I'm giving my Galaxy S to my GF since she can't deal with her BB anymore
KuGsj.gif
. I put CM 10 on it so I hope she's going to be happy with it. I wish CM 10.1 was more stable :(

So it appears Google have decided people in the UK don't really need to use wireless keyboards and so they don't have any support for our keyboard layout - which is mildly annoying.

What's more annoying is the only workarounds I can find either require rooting or paying for a weird app to intercept it. Do the great minds of GAF have any better thoughts than my Googling so far?

I was just going through the settings for SwiftKey 3 and there is an option to select bluetooth keyboard layout and English (UK) is in there, so may be a cheaper option for you (I believe SwiftKey is on sale at the moment).

Can anyone recommend me the best Swype alternative?

Since the latest update Swype is now incredibly slow. It takes like 30 seconds to switch between dictionaries...

TheTowel

Sense 4+ isn't that bad. I went back to it after a good month or so of cm10. Loved cm10 but there were a few things it lacked. The 4.2 camera doesn't hold a candle to the sense one.

I had to bring some things over from cm10 to be happy though. Replaced the recent apps menu with the aosp one. Brought some cm10 ringtones and notifications over. 4.2 keyboard. Now I'm back to liking sense. We'll see how long it lasts before I jump back.

Experience > Benchmarks. If you honestly think Sense is a better experience than CM you are lost. Truly lost :p
The world has changed. Try to keep up. Sense and TouchWiz aren't what they were in the Gingerbread days.

Only 5 apps allowed to run at a time still makes Sense a non-starter for me personally. But I can see how some people would like the improved functionality that it brings to the table.

The problem with sense is that it's too over-designed. Keep what works from stock, and add in your shit on top. Not add your shit on everything. Like their multi-tasking is stupid, even their homescreen animation when you go left and right is a bit much. Cool at first, but too much none the less. They all suffer from that problem. Differentiation for the sake of it. I agree that the sense camera is probably the best one out, so keep it on. But a lot of other pointless stuff needs to goooooooooo.

Improve the experience, and nothing else.

TheTowel

I'm all for a stripped down sense. Add beneficial features, improve on what works, and tear the overly designed out. They can go far with that. No reason sense should use as much memory as it does.

Vanillalite

To be fair a lot of the little things that were an issue even with Sense 4.0 have been ironed out with Sense 4+. The problem is things like Sense, Touchwiz, Motoblur etc... have so much baggage from the eclair/froyo/gingerbread days that it's hard to get past things.

It's also worth noting that's it not just benchmark placebos. I can tell a difference in the power when running certain games I own that I've tried. I can tell a difference in the smoothness of the animations and such during general usage which is to be expected because CM10 has to hack the kernel/driver features without a leaked JB based kernel onto the ICS kernel verses what HTC has done currently. Image Sense just is better than stock. Plus everything hardware wise works without and little quirks here and there.

This isn't to discredit CM. In some ways it has it's own pluses. Plus in general the ROM scene is always hampered when they try to move to a newer Android version but have to base all of the backend on the older Android version because that's all they have to work with. That's why when a device gets an official update it's a big deal not just because it gets the update as well as redon roms of that update, but devs working on things like AOKP and CM can pull from the newer low level info that's pushed in the update.

For example the current CM10 ROM for the Evita only has tripple buffering enabled. Vsync was still being hashed out. It's also why the current version of CM10 has roughly the same quadrant scores as sense because they have to pull from existing drivers.

So yeah when CM10.1 releases and the pull some of the backend stuff from the latest JB update and incorporate it into their own ROM the pendulum should swing backwards. That's why CM got so popular because of CM7. It was based on the latest firmware version most phones had gotten.

Blah blah blah it's late and I'm just rambling... sorry Android-GAF...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom