• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

i wonder how sense 4+ gets such a huge increase in quadrant score. looking at the breakdown of the score, it seems to be getting a huge boost in the I/O score.

i'd really like to go back to CM or AOSP, but there are too many small problems with the roms not being quite perfect that stop me :( hopefully htc will release kernel sauces soon

Okay, so I installed swift key flow but I can't actually get the swiping to work. It's enabled in the options but swiping my finger does nothing.

Doopliss

Yeah you should be, the latest android keyboard is usually ripped and put on the market by someone so you can just type in "4.2 keyboard" and it'll be there.
I tried that a few weeks ago. The spacing and size of the keys appeared to be messed up, which made me wonder what else about it might not work properly.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay, so I installed swift key flow but I can't actually get the swiping to work. It's enabled in the options but swiping my finger does nothing.

It seems to be situational. Like I don't think you can swipe when typing in a URL but you can swipe when typing a post or sending a text.

Vanillalite

i wonder how sense 4+ gets such a huge increase in quadrant score. looking at the breakdown of the score, it seems to be getting a huge boost in the I/O score.

i'd really like to go back to CM or AOSP, but there are too many small problems with the roms not being quite perfect that stop me :( hopefully htc will release kernel sauces soon

S4 was the 1st chipset to go mainstream with DUAL CHANNEL RAM and the launch software probably wasn't optimized for it yet.

It seems to be situational. Like I don't think you can swipe when typing in a URL but you can swipe when typing a post or sending a text.

Yeah, doesn't seem to work at all with the browser, even on GAF.

Tried the 4.2 keyboard, while it worked, the swyping only worked for the default language. Oh well...

Vanillalite

mines a tegra 3 and it also got a significant quadrant boost with 4+. although maybe tegra 3 has dual channel rams too.

Single channel. It was one of the main bitchings about the 3 because everyone assumed after the 2 they would go that route.

Tega chip sets all got a boost once better governors came out to maximize it's "5" core cpu setup + better gpu drivers just like say on the PC.

buhdeh

What the hell happened with 4.2? My notifications are all screwed up. I set Gtalk and other Google apps to "never vibrate" in the apps settings yet it seems my sound profile is taking precedence OVER those settings. So when I have my phone on vibrate, all the apps vibrate despite me setting them not to. This was not the case in 4.1.

God damnit Google.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39592

Zeppu

What the hell happened with 4.2? My notifications are all screwed up. I set Gtalk and other Google apps to "never vibrate" in the apps settings yet it seems my sound profile is taking precedence OVER those settings. So when I have my phone on vibrate, all the apps vibrate despite me setting them not to. This was not the case in 4.1.

God damnit Google.

My FB keeps turning on all notifications and sets them to the default sound + vibrate every time it updates. I don't know if it's 4.2 or the transition to native app but it's annoying as fuck, especially since they're rolling out bugfixes every other day.

Vanillalite

i'm busting your balls.

I know, but it's hard for people to get over the preconceived notions of something like touchwiz or sense not being shitty. :p

One thing that gets me is how the HTC Browser can be so much faster than the others. I did the javascript test with Chrome, Firefox, and Dolphin + Jetpack and only Dolphin came sort of close. Even then the HTC Browser was like 200ms faster. Fucking Chrome was L... O....L... Google needs to get on that shit.

Supposedly there is a solid Viper ROM that's being worked out as we speak (there is an early build available) that's based off of the new Sense 4+ JB update that hit yesterday. I might switch to that if the added features and stuff are worth it.

On a side note the Sense Camera was $$$ yesterday for picture taking at my GF's graduation!

PS: Happy Holidays from Android! :D

i could point out so many errors in that article, but the entire premise is so wrong, why should i even bother? i mean, for one, including Google updated phones at all is a fatal flaw right from the start!

know what, i'll just go in on a few...

they claim the T-Mobile Optimus 2x was updated. Sure, the LG P990 Optimus 2x was updated, but the T-Mobile variant, the LGP999 G2x is still on Gingerbread. Nice research.

then they claim to have chosen the highest profile Android phones, but they didn't use the highest profile and highest selling Galaxy S variant (Sprint's Samsung Epic 4G) or highest profile Galaxy SII variant (Sprint's Samsung Galaxy SII, Epic 4G Touch) and chose phones that bombed, like the Motorola Photon 4G?

third, and i assume the author did research on the topic when i make this point, but many devices simply do not have enough space in their System partitions to be able to upgrade from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich. What company is going to sign off on an OS upgrade that wipes all data on the device?

i'm not going to continue.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Now if only I could get that for my phone or tablet.

or a google tv set top box

It only works for the LG Google TVs

I'm saving up to buy one because clearly that tv is the gold standard when it comes to Google TV. OnLive has an app that only works for that tv. It's the only device with voice search. I keep seeing these Vizio TVs with Google TV built in at CES every year and none of them are ever released >_>

Google reportedly working with Motorola to design its own 'X Phone' and tablet

Motorola reportedly engineering 'X phone' and 'X tablet' to rival iPhone and Galaxy devices

Skip Nexus 4.

Rumor says:

I heard about an upcoming phone that moto is going to use as their flagship phone in the first half of 2013. This is from a very reputable source.

Apparently this phone is called the “X Phone” or something along those lines and has buttons on the back of the phone. He said that a camera button is in the middle of the phone with volume up and down buttons on both sides of it all on the back face of the phone. He said it is supposed to be more ergonomic while holding the phone.

He also said that the phone is going to get every piece premium piece of technology that moto has, so you can expect a quad core processor (s4 pro likely), 2 GB ram, LTE, Maxx style battery etc.

He also talked a lot about the phone having a ton of new voice command features and swiping gestures to accomplish tasks. He said the idea of this phone is to completely change the way we ergonomically have to interact with our phones. I.e. that it would take less than two seconds from the phone being in the pocket to using the camera. These features would be built on top of android as a stand alone proprietary suite app so that moto can be dedicated to updating to all new google updates in 3 months or less.

When I asked about a moto nexus he said there is currently no plans as everything they have is being put into this phone, we can expect a massive ad campaign for it in 2013 to promote it. He also said that while it sounds terrible once you hold one and see how it works you will like it a lot more.

tino

Banned

So after Motorola Droid, Nexus devices, Xoom, Nexus 7, google still hasn't made an official google phone?

What?

Unless google give the device exclusive cloud service, there is no way google/moto and make a phone rival the Galaxy phones and iPhone.

Lame sauce.

Well at lease google recognize the N4 is lame.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That sounds like a cool phone. I will be pissed when it arrives since I still don't have my N4 but it's unreturnable now.

Hieberrr

Hey guys, I'm having a huge issue that I hope you can help me fix.

I'm running the latest 4.1.2 Nightly (before the EXPERIMENTAL build) on my girlfriend's i9000. She recently discovered that when she sends a bunch of SMS messages, she get's this popup warning:

Messenger is sending a large number of messages. Do you want to allow this app to send this message?
Allow | Deny

Is there a way to fix this? She's an avid texter and she's getting really mad about it LOL.

Thanks!

freshair

Hey guys, I'm having a huge issue that I hope you can help me fix.

I'm running the latest 4.1.2 Nightly (before the EXPERIMENTAL build) on my girlfriend's i9000. She recently discovered that when she sends a bunch of SMS messages, she get's this popup warning:

Messenger is sending a large number of messages. Do you want to allow this app to send this message?
Allow | Deny

Is there a way to fix this? She's an avid texter and she's getting really mad about it LOL.

Thanks!

This thread has an apk/flashable zip that should fix it:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1831289

Hieberrr

CyanogenMod users, can you check something for me?

Can you check if Settings > Security> contains something about Messaging limits (apparently near the bottom)?

Vanillalite

HolidayPano1.jpg

:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom