• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

gcubed

Gonna be hurt feelings all around on that one. But I can see their point.

oh, its not really debatable about feature set. I dont really ever argue from that point. Its just ugly in its inconsistency from how it looks.

edit... i was at a big Motorola holiday party a few days ago, those guys are so happy about finally being sold out from under Google. They've had a bunch of uncertainty from Google and no MSO wanted to deal with Google. Google got a pretty big chunk of change too, hopefully not having to worry about the "Home" arm helps Google focus more on their damn phones.

tino

Banned
oh, its not really debatable about feature set. I dont really ever argue from that point. Its just ugly in its inconsistency from how it looks.

edit... i was at a big Motorola holiday party a few days ago, those guys are so happy about finally being sold out from under Google. They've had a bunch of uncertainty from Google and no MSO wanted to deal with Google. Google got a pretty big chunk of change too, hopefully not having to worry about the "Home" arm helps Google focus more on their damn phones.

Are you talking about the cable box people? I am so confused by this paragraph.

gcubed

Are you talking about the cable box people? I am so confused by this paragraph.

yea motorola home. Video/Cable group. They had no direction for a year because MSO's didn't want to deal with a Google owned company and Google spent no time with them, they were focused on the mobile side

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Happy Holidays Android GAF! I had Xmas part 1 with my family and my GF and her crew last night. Then I just had part 2 with my mom and her BF this morning.

We are going to my Bros for Xmas fun aka part 3 on Xmas day.

On a side note one of my crew came over yesterday cause he is home for the Holidays. He just got his 1st smartphone, and he managed to snag a Nexus 4 despite Google being overloaded. He was talking about how pimp Google Now was on his flight home.

We were app sharing what we use the most lately.

Pctx

Banned

Got a friend who is working on the Phone X that broke a few days ago and believe me, people will not be disappointed. I have not been this excited since the N1!

Vanillalite

Got a friend who is working on the Phone X that broke a few days ago and believe me, people will not be disappointed. I have not been this excited since the N1!

black-kid-oh-snap.gif

Hype Get!!!!!

Darkkn

Man, Android really needs a gaming specific service for save game syncing, easy multiplayer matchmaking, achievements etc.

It really sucks that i can't play games seamlessly between my phone and tablet with same progress made.

Phone sounds great, but then, so did every new Nexus phone on paper, sans the S.

I am interested in the use of new tech and materials, such as bendable screens, but I worry about the added cost. Hopefully, they can maintain the $300 price point. If so, a yearly upgrade for me is a no brainer, and as long as it is a Nexus phone, I'm in.

The rumors of them focusing on the camera are nothing new, as they said the same for the Nexus 4 and that didn't turn out super well.

GatorBait

I really hate music matching services right now...

I just uploaded my MP3 collection to Google Music and a bunch of explicit songs were matched with their censored versions instead, and some albums literally have half of their songs explicit and half censored. Fucking ridiculous.

Phone sounds great, but then, so did every new Nexus phone on paper, sans the S.

I am interested in the use of new tech and materials, such as bendable screens, but I worry about the added cost. Hopefully, they can maintain the $300 price point. If so, a yearly upgrade for me is a no brainer, and as long as it is a Nexus phone, I'm in.

The rumors of them focusing on the camera are nothing new, as they said the same for the Nexus 4 and that didn't turn out super well.
Something tells me this might not be a nexus phone. Or if it is, I don't think they're trying at all to compete with the one they just made. It'll probably be a more expensive phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Is it a Nexus? When's the ETA of this phone?

Hey hey!

I just got a new phone, new to Android..

If I'm keeping it stock, what options do I have for customization? Just what's pre-loaded (themes, etc) on the phone and whatever wallpapers I can transfer onto it?

Hey hey!

I just got a new phone, new to Android..

If I'm keeping it stock, what options do I have for customization? Just what's pre-loaded (themes, etc) on the phone and whatever wallpapers I can transfer onto it?

You can download launchers such as ADW, Nova, Apex and then customise things like animations, no. Of homescreens, dock icons, rows and columns etc.

Pctx

Banned
The tech on this phone is insane. One of Motos weak points has been the screen of which they have fixed with this phone. NFC is going to get a huge role as well in how you use the phone. Beaming was just the beginning. I do know that the first prototype for this phone was started back in 2010 and the features that he's mentioned really look to bridge the tablet/smartphone/computing device divide that sorely needs to be addressed.

Whether this is "Nexus" phone or not, from the sounds of it, their plan is to be an international phone on all bands including all LTE here in the states so don't expect a carrier exclusive launch as this is Moto rebranding itself.

RuGalz

The tech on this phone is insane. One of Motos weak points has been the screen of which they have fixed with this phone. NFC is going to get a huge role as well in how you use the phone. Beaming was just the beginning. I do know that the first prototype for this phone was started back in 2010 and the features that he's mentioned really look to bridge the tablet/smartphone/computing device divide that sorely needs to be addressed.

Whether this is "Nexus" phone or not, from the sounds of it, their plan is to be an international phone on all bands including all LTE here in the states so don't expect a carrier exclusive launch as this is Moto rebranding itself.

Better not have 1 hr battery life to go with it too.

The battery life is what excited me most on the motorola phone, but man I'm not going to wait till the end of 2013, but if it's sometime in the summer or earlier I'll gladly pass on all the other flagships.

reKon

Banned
The battery life is what excited me most on the motorola phone, but man I'm not going to wait till the end of 2013, but if it's sometime in the summer or earlier I'll gladly pass on all the other flagships.

I may get a nexus 4 then well it when this baby comes out.

Madtown_

I've been using Swiftkey since I got my GS3, just heard about the flow beta and am giving that a shot. To me it seems pretty good for a beta product. Also, even with it enabled, you can still use the same old swiftkey with the predictions if you want to, no?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

:eek:

:eek:

gimmmick

Will not buy into Motorola hype, even if google is under the helm. New sensor for the camera, or no buy.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

How big is too big? Well, that's clearly not Huawei's concern, as it's about to introduce a 6.1-inch 1080p Android phone at CES. But even two weeks (before the company's CES press day) is too much for the impatient Richard Yu, who went ahead and whipped out his beastly device in front of fans at a Huawei store in Guangzhou yesterday -- there's a video of the intimate moment after the break. According to earlier rumors, the Ascend Mate will feature a 1.8GHz HiSilicon K3V3 quad-core chip, along with a massive 4,000mAh battery, 9.9mm thickness and a price tag of just under ¥3,000 (about $480). Yu wrote on Sina Weibo saying the final specs may differ slightly, but the 43-year-old executive did add that the 361ppi display is of LTPS (low temperature polysilicon) nature. As with the Ascend W1 and the Ascend D2, all will be unveiled at CES.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Quad core, huge battery, big screen, decent PPI... All at that price? Nice. Except that's too big for me.

Bboy AJ

Chu will complain and want it priced at $25.

Cipherr

That big ass 6.1 is ridiculous. Noones going to buy it without software to make it worth it also. The Note series is distancing itself from the other phablets with great stylus and digitizer combos, and software that actually make owning that big sumbeetch worth it.

damn, 361ppi is only 'decent' nowadays?

2013 is going to be the year of 400+ PPI.

tino

Banned
If the quadcore Huawei soc is not as fast as the nVidia quadcore A15, they should announce it ASAP.

If the battery is replaceable, I would take it over the 6.3" Note 3.

Vanillalite

If the quadcore Huawei soc is not as fast as the nVidia quadcore A15, they should announce it ASAP.

If the battery is replaceable, I would take it over the 6.3" Note 3.

I was worried about the chip set not being a known entity like the Nvidia or Samsung chips too.

tino

Banned
6.1? damn, I'm not sure how I feel about 5 inchers.

S3 is my limit currently.

Look at it this way, if you want to do work on your phone, you want one with the largest screen that you can still fit in your jeans pocket.

I was able to make a purchase with my Note on radioshack's full website while staying in bed this morning. With a lesser phone,I wouldn't be able to do it.

I was worried about the chip set not being a known entity like the Nvidia or Samsung chips too.

The Chinese SoCs like Allwinner and this one use standard ARM Cortex cores paired with some GPU like PowerVR SGX540. I wonder what's in this one, I've never heard of it before.

edit: Okay, the previous iteration K3V2 is a 40nm process quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 with a Vivante GC4000-derived GPU. HiSilicon is a company owned by Huawei and produces custom SoCs for Huawei devices. I wonder if the K3V3 is down to a 28nm process, since this thing has a 1.8ghz CPU clock speed.

6.1? damn, I'm not sure how I feel about 5 inchers.

S3 is my limit currently.
it's all about form factor when it comes to 5 inchers and below. But I agree that the S3 is the high end of the spectrum in terms of sizes I'm willing to go.

That's why the rumoured Sony Odin is so appealing. A 5 inch 1080p phone that has dimensions smaller than most android phones with smaller screens. Sounds perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom