• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to the Vergecast. Josh basically said he has strong reason to suspect there might be an event in October, also noted that's when the G-Nex was announced.

Also, I agree with EVERYTHING he said about the next nexus. If it's some plastic, pentile, subpar camera shit, they should seriously be ashamed of themselves. It's time to evolve from that. Everyone seems to be moving to high quality materials except android manufacturers for the most part.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well the rumor is five manufacturers, one of them has to get it right? Right guys?

Actually I have no problem with the GN's build. What it lacks in beauty it makes up for in comfort.

I don't know. I consider the GN to be completely designless and boring. Just a shell for the OS and nothing more. I expect more. The Nexus line meant something with the Nexus One.

I honestly can't remember the last time an android phone blew me away hardware wise. There always seems to be SOMETHING not up to snuff, or multiple things. For once someone's gotta offer a complete package.

Divvy

It is boring, but the weight distribtution and the curves of the edges make what is a fairly big phone really comfy to hold for me. And the plastic at least feels solid and doesn't give at all, unlike the stuff they put on the S3.

As far as hardware wise, I think the One X has the best. I'm hoping if HTC makes a nexus, it follows those lines.

kehs

Banned
I want to see Moto bring a phenolic based phone, with the glass surface based on flexible tech to make indestructible and super signal friendly.

Pyro: The gnex is beautiful. Shut your mouth. The plastic feel is meh, but visually...

brb

when you catch the GN in the right light and it looks like a solid black pane of glass, it's pure sex.
well this isn't shadow of the colossus lol

I want to see Moto bring a phenolic based phone, with the glass surface based on flexible tech to make indestructible and super signal friendly.

Pyro: The gnex is beautiful. Shut your mouth. The plastic feel is meh, but visually...

brb
I already fought you and won, don't make me do it again. It's wiggity whack. And skimping on the camera? puhlease.

I agree the One X might be the best one out now but once again, not so hot camera on that shit. There's always something. Also not feeling the camera hump on the back. Not sure I like the LED notification thang on it either.

Crisco

Banned
So I've been running a vanilla Jelly Bean ROM on my HTC One X for the last couple days. What a massive upgrade over the stock Sense OS. Can't believe I waited this long to flash a custom ROM. If you've got a One X and are still running stock, stop, just stop.

tino

Banned
I don't know. I consider the GN to be completely designless and boring. Just a shell for the OS and nothing more. I expect more. The Nexus line meant something with the Nexus One.

I honestly can't remember the last time an android phone blew me away hardware wise. There always seems to be SOMETHING not up to snuff, or multiple things. For once someone's gotta offer a complete package.

Most of not all new hardware come out with Android first. If you are talking about design its a different story.

Maybe nobody care to blow you away?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The GN looks great from the front. It's sleek and I love the curve. The hidden LED is also sweet. But the back sucks. Ad the camera was so bad.

I hope Sony makes a Nexus. You know it'll look great and come with a great camera. I don't think I'll buy it, though. Still happy with my Note.

Divvy

I hope there's a great nexus with a great camera. Otherwise I might get a L920 as a second phone. Goddamn I'm a consumer whore.

Most of not all new hardware come out with Android first. If you are talking about design its a different story.

Maybe nobody care to blow you away?
and it's a shame

I'd also prefer a sony nexus if I had to pick a realistic choice. Sony does good feeling hardware, great cameras now, good screens, etc... now if only they could actually release a phone on multiple carriers and put stock android on that shit, then we have something. HTC not being realistic due to their current position.

Posting here since the S3 thread is just, annoying.

How should I handle a dual band network? I want my phone to connect to my 5 Ghz network first, then my 2.4 when it's out of range (my bedroom), but back to the 5 Ghz when I'm close enough.

Any setting or app that can do this?

kehs

Banned
Posting here since the S3 thread is just, annoying.

How should I handle a dual band network? I want my phone to connect to my 5 Ghz network first, then my 2.4 when it's out of range (my bedroom), but back to the 5 Ghz when I'm close enough.

Any setting or app that can do this?

Tasker sounds like it could do that. Though it might require root to change wifi bands.

besiktas1

So I've been running a vanilla Jelly Bean ROM on my HTC One X for the last couple days. What a massive upgrade over the stock Sense OS. Can't believe I waited this long to flash a custom ROM. If you've got a One X and are still running stock, stop, just stop.
lol, I'd say the opposite. If you're thinking of patching, stop, just stop. My phone broke, now with a void warranty I'm left with a brick.

TheTowel

well this isn't shadow of the colossus lol

I already fought you and won, don't make me do it again. It's wiggity whack. And skimping on the camera? puhlease.

I agree the One X might be the best one out now but once again, not so hot camera on that shit. There's always something. Also not feeling the camera hump on the back. Not sure I like the LED notification thang on it either.

I've been pretty impressed with the camera on the one x. I have the evo lte, same hardware. Like any camera, you have to know how to use it. Could it be better? Yeah, the color could be better. The software for it is amazing though. Don't have much experience with anything other than this and the iphone.

Pocks

Where is the best place to get help with flashing ROMs? My situation is a bit unique because I have a rooted 2.1 DINC with an old kernel.. so it's a bit more complicated than just using ROM Manager.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Where is the best place to get help with flashing ROMs? My situation is a bit unique because I have a rooted 2.1 DINC with an old kernel.. so it's a bit more complicated than just using ROM Manager.

XDA, and the respective device board

Gigglepoo

Has anyone had a problem with the 4.1.1 update where you can't hang up after placing a call? My fiance just updated her Nexus and now can't hang up. Really bizarre.

Emily Chu

Banned
is asking for a Nexus phone @ 5.5" + too much this year ?

I would be blown away if the back matches the front in terms of material of a G Nex

an all black solid pane of glassy material

it would have been better imo if the back of the Gnex was a solid all jet black as it fits in with the front to match in with the back

well which ever new Nexus phone matches theses requirements is the one I will buy this year
+ Quad Core + LTE
+ @ least 2 GB RAM
+ 4.7"-5.5" and up
+ buttonless all black front and all black back
+ 1080p HD ? hopefully not pentile
+ Micro SD card (not a deal breaker but so nice to have)
+ removable battery
+ long battery life
+ made from light metal instead of plastic

oh my if the Galaxy Nexus was made from the same metal as my old droid X and cast in a all solid Glock gun metal jet black matte finish with the all black buttonless front

I don't even remember what my G nex looks like anymore it's been clad in a all black Otterbox Defender case since day 0.

if they made the back out of a super grippy material I'd go naked with the next nexus phone.

Antagon

Anyone got tips for a small budget (around 200 euros) smartphone? The screen of my milestone seems to have broken so I'm looking for a replacement. Will only put it through light use (checking Facebook, google maps, mail, stuff like that).

From what I've seen, the Xperia line has some interesting phones. Looking at the U, Ray and Sola.

The U seems nicely priced, but Lacks a micro sd slot and is rather thick.
Ray seems to be tiny, which is a big plus and has a 1500mah battery, which is nice as well, but only a single core CPU. Does this make a big difference?
Finally the Sola, which is a bit larger and more expensive, but thinner then the U and does have the Micro SD slot.

Of these, which would you guys recommended? Any other phones I should check out?

is asking for a Nexus phone @ 5.5" + too much this year ?

I would be blown away if the back matches the front in terms of material of a G Nex

an all black solid pane of glassy material

it would have been better imo if the back of the Gnex was a solid all jet black as it fits in with the front to match in with the back

well which ever new Nexus phone matches theses requirements is the one I will buy this year
+ Quad Core + LTE
+ @ least 2 GB RAM
+ 4.7"-5.5" and up
+ buttonless all black front and all black back
+ 1080p HD ? hopefully not pentile
+ Micro SD card (not a deal breaker but so nice to have)
+ removable battery
+ long battery life
+ made from light metal instead of plastic

oh my if the Galaxy Nexus was made from the same metal as my old droid X and cast in a all solid Glock gun metal jet black matte finish with the all black buttonless front

I don't even remember what my G nex looks like anymore it's been clad in a all black Otterbox Defender case since day 0.

if they made the back out of a super grippy material I'd go naked with the next nexus phone.

lol @ "at least" 2 gb of ram. You Expecting More?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anyone got tips for a small budget (around 200 euros) smartphone? The screen of my milestone seems to have broken so I'm looking for a replacement. Will only put it through light use (checking Facebook, google maps, mail, stuff like that).

From what I've seen, the Xperia line has some interesting phones. Looking at the U, Ray and Sola.

The U seems nicely priced, but Lacks a micro sd slot and is rather thick.
Ray seems to be tiny, which is a big plus and has a 1500mah battery, which is nice as well, but only a single core CPU. Does this make a big difference?
Finally the Sola, which is a bit larger and more expensive, but thinner then the U and does have the Micro SD slot.

Of these, which would you guys recommended? Any other phones I should check out?

Maybe just try and find an older Nexus S. It's not going to be newer, but you'll get Jelly Bean.

You also could look into the HTC One V. It was basically created by HTC to be a small budget smartphone.

PS: For your price range your not going to get dual core unless you find something used more than likely.

gcubed

my wish list from the next nexus?

battery life

battery life

battery life

battery life

battery life

battery life

battery life

battery life

Every flagship phone should have a maxx battery...

Optimus G is tempting but I know I should wait until all the a15 based quad cores are out

I hate the waiting game...though if I would've held on 2 weeks longer I would've bought a gs3...damn impulse buying.

I love the screen on the one x but constantly running out of space on the SD card is annoying

Here's hoping they cancel out 16gb on flagship phones/tablets/anything sooner rather than later

malyce

Every flagship phone should have a maxx battery...

Optimus G is tempting but I know I should wait until all the a15 based quad cores are out

I hate the waiting game...though if I would've held on 2 weeks longer I would've bought a gs3...damn impulse buying.

I love the screen on the one x but constantly running out of space on the SD card is annoying

Here's hoping they cancel out 16gb on flagship phones/tablets/anything sooner rather than later

Yeah, you're gonna be waiting for at least another year before you see one of those in a smartphone. Mid 2013 at best.

I'm looking into getting an Android phone but I'm not 100% convinced. Right now I have a BB 8520 (pretty crap). The fact is, I'm not sure what I want. I've been a fan of having a "dumb-phone" + an iPod touch because I think it's pretty pointless to have all that amazing stuff, games, apps, music, videos and having to restrain yourself from using them sometimes because you don't want your battery to go dead. So I kind of like the autonomy of having (most of) my media separated from my phone.

Is it worth to get a "low end" android phone? Is the battery still crap in the low end phones? Because I'm used to charging my phone every other day. I don't really wanna spend too much on it because I'm getting the new iPod touch when it comes out.

Or maybe I should just get a non android phone... decisions, decisions...

Good battery life
Great camera
Great screen, 4.5" or less
higher quality materials, preferably non plastic
led notification that isn't small as fuck

That's all I want. I don't care if it's dual core or quad core, whatever gives the best battery life for the next nexus.

iavi

I want the next nexus to have everything the Galaxy nexus already has, but with a better camera, speakerphone, battery, and build.

The screen is good enough, but a move to AMOLED+ wouldn't hurt. On the flip side, I do want HTC to have the nexus again, but we'd lose the amoled for super LCD.

reKon

Banned
I'm looking into getting an Android phone but I'm not 100% convinced. Right now I have a BB 8520 (pretty crap). The fact is, I'm not sure what I want. I've been a fan of having a "dumb-phone" + an iPod touch because I think it's pretty pointless to have all that amazing stuff, games, apps, music, videos and having to restrain yourself from using them sometimes because you don't want your battery to go dead. So I kind of like the autonomy of having (most of) my media separated from my phone.

Is it worth to get a "low end" android phone? Is the battery still crap in the low end phones? Because I'm used to charging my phone every other day. I don't really wanna spend too much on it because I'm getting the new iPod touch when it comes out.

Or maybe I should just get a non android phone... decisions, decisions...

I have a smart phone because it me it's an all in one device that does most things well and you have it all the time with you. If battery life is a concern, I would do with something from Motorola like the Maxx.

I use my phone primarily for messaging, music, and news browsing/GAF. It's also nice to have a decent camera and on the go and full map navigation software that works as well as stand alone GPS's.

Regarding having an iPod touch + dumb phone, because the touch gets vif improvements on every iteration, this could still be a great option. The problem from me is that with the iPod touch, I'm forced to use iTunes and I'd be missing Google music, which is amazing and simple to use. I can access my own music from anyones device. It would really come down to missing those valuable Google apps like maps/navigation and not having a decent camera. Like I said battery life wise, the RAZR Maxx takes care of everything.

My hopes for the next nexus.

- Not samsung.

Sony or HTC again would be my personal picks. HTC have really good build quality and sony just make some very attractive looking stuff.

ep85

I want the next nexus to have everything the Galaxy nexus already has, but with a better camera, speakerphone, battery, and build.

The screen is good enough, but a move to AMOLED+ wouldn't hurt. On the flip side, I do want HTC to have the nexus again, but we'd lose the amoled for super LCD.
The One X's super LCD2 screen is regarded as one, if not the best screens out right now.

The One X's super LCD2 screen is regarded as one, if not the best screens out right now.

definitely the best screen out right now. honestly, it's the most important reason i have a one x. i wanted a great screen.

now i'm over it and i want a micro sd card slot, ha

I'm on the fence about buying a HTC One X. I've got an iPhone 5 beintg delivered next week which I'm just going to send back, is the HTC One X a good alternative to the iPhone 5?

Edit: There is no micro sd slot? I read there was; guess I won't be buying the HTC One X now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom