• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the fence about buying a HTC One X. I've got an iPhone 5 beintg delivered next week which I'm just going to send back, is the HTC One X a good alternative to the iPhone 5?

Edit: There is no micro sd slot? I read there was; guess I won't be buying the HTC One X now.

S3

Cipherr

The next Nexus isn't going to be a benchmark breaking beast of a phone. They don't seem to really do that. It'll probably be capable, but they dont seem to stuff Nexus devices with the latest and greatest in an attempt to outspec everything else. Its modest hardware with Vanilla Android and a 'cheaper than most' price. The expectations are swelling again just like last year.

Gonna be a lot of disappointed folks. Nexus isn't a huge tech flagship, the individual manufacturers have their own lines (Galaxy S, One X) for those things. Common and modest tech with curved glass and no Micro SD is what it will have. Guaranteed.

kinggroin

Banned
The next Nexus isn't going to be a benchmark breaking beast of a phone. They don't seem to really do that. It'll probably be capable, but they dont seem to stuff Nexus devices with the latest and greatest in an attempt to outspec everything else. Its modest hardware with Vanilla Android and a 'cheaper than most' price. The expectations are swelling again just like last year.

Gonna be a lot of disappointed folks. Nexus isn't a huge tech flagship, the individual manufacturers have their own lines (Galaxy S, One X) for those things. Common and modest tech with curved glass and no Micro SD is what it will have. Guaranteed.

I'm hoping an update to JB comes along with it. Otherwise, what's the point? The Galaxy Nexus is stupid smooth as is (better than my GS3 on these aosp JB roms even), so unless we see some nice updates in software to go along with the inevitable hardware bump, I'll pass.

day one

I'm on the fence about buying a HTC One X. I've got an iPhone 5 beintg delivered next week which I'm just going to send back, is the HTC One X a good alternative to the iPhone 5?

Edit: There is no micro sd slot? I read there was; guess I won't be buying the HTC One X now.

The EVO LTE has a microsd, I think it's the only one x variant that does

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

It's true, none of the hardware manufacturers are going to put their A game on the hardware side, since why would they do that on a phone that doesn't sell that great when they could spend that effort on their flagships instead? We're going to get rectangular slabs of grey/black plastic again aren't we?

Ephemeris

Every day I get the prompt to update my S3 and every day I postpone the hell out of it.

It's been going on about a month now. So annoying.

Sucks to be one of the 10 people that actually use universal search. :(

Gentlemen, I have a rather dumb question.

I got an S3 for myself and an S2 for the younger sister a couple of days ago. They are our first smartphones and we love them! We even like the default look.

Part of the appeal of Android is the customizability, so I'm rather interested in that. The Show off your Android Customizations thread has lots of cool stuff but the resources are scattered. What's the best way to go about customizing an S3 and S2? I'm looking into the Apex launcher; is there anything else I should be looking at?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I got an S3 for myself and an S2 for the younger sister a couple of days ago. They are our first smartphones and we love them! We even like the default look.

Part of the appeal of Android is the customizability, so I'm rather interested in that. The Show off your Android Customizations thread has lots of cool stuff but the resources are scattered. What's the best way to go about customizing an S3 and S2? I'm looking into the Apex launcher; is there anything else I should be looking at?

I really like Ultimate Custom Clock Widget (or UCCW). It's very versatile, though kind of hard to use, app to get really nice looking widgets. Just google UCCW skins and you can find a variety of places to get good skins for it.

Otherwise, a lot of people like Minimalistic text, and desktop visualizer.

tino

Banned
is the s3 worth it? it's twice the price of the s2 here, and videos i,ve seen show about 20% speed gain... what am I missing?

It has sd slot and a replacable battery.

Although if you are in the US there are alot of other options. Lenovo k860 for example.

you should get the s3 and put either cm10, aokp, or paranoid android on it...

don't get the one x unless you only need 10gb of space for games/apps/music.

that's about all you get.

if there was a way i could trade back my one x and get an s3 i would.

maybe if i sell my one x i can use that toward an off contract s3. save up a few bucks and that is what i'm going to do.

TheTowel

Nova launcher is another good one.

Throw on the weather eye widget along with the Minimalistic Text clock widget. Pick a colorful background and you've got a nice home screen.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
optimus-view-2-09-24-12-01.jpg

of course everyone was waiting for the Optimus VU II

Antagon

Maybe just try and find an older Nexus S. It's not going to be newer, but you'll get Jelly Bean.

You also could look into the HTC One V. It was basically created by HTC to be a small budget smartphone.

PS: For your price range your not going to get dual core unless you find something used more than likely.

Sony has the Sola and U in this price range. Seems like the Sola has a lot of manufacturing problems though, anyone that can chime in on that? Hate that the U doesn't have a Micro SD slot, it would be almost exactly what I want if it did.

Keep in mind that I'm going to be a pretty light user, so I'm probably not going to really notice the changes between ics and jelly bean.

The One V is definitely an option though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Camera samples shot with Galaxy Nexus 2 I9260 leak on Picasa:

gsmarena_001.jpg

It's been nearly a full year since the last Google Nexus phone was announced (though we witnessed the launch of the Nexus 7 tablet in the meantime). We've already seen some leaked specs of an update for the Galaxy Nexus but now we have photos uploaded to Picasa to back those up as well.
The EXIF info in the photos labels the device "GT-I9260" - the expected model number of the successor of the current Galaxy Nexus (I9250). Unfortunately, the photos were not shot at full resolution, so they can't confirm the upgrade to 8MP that the camera of the next Galaxy Nexus is rumored to receive.

What the photos do reveal however, is a F/2.65 aperture and a 4mm focal length. The Galaxy S III has an aperture of F/2.6 and a focal length of 3.6mm, while the Galaxy S II has an aperture F/2.65 and a focal length of 3.97mm, so it might be theoretically possible that the new Nexus phone may have the same camera as the Galaxy SII.
The firmware versions listed in the EXIF info in the two photos is I9260XXALI5 and I9260XXALI6.
In one of the photos, there's a portion of an Excel window with a table listing Bluetooth specs for something, but there's nothing interesting that can be made out.
Besides the camera, the Samsung I9260 Galaxy Nexus "Premiere" is supposed to have a better CPU (Cortex-A9 dual-core at 1.5GHz instead of 1.2GHz), a microSD card slot and the same 4.65" Super AMOLED HD screen.
Would it be okay if the next Galaxy Nexus really isn't based on the Galaxy S III? The OS it will run is still not clear - typically, a Nexus device would come with the latest available iteration of Android, but Jelly Bean is still very fresh (barely powering a percent of all Androids), so it might be too early for Key Lime Pie.

gcubed

speaking of nexus... Nexus 5?

http://androidandme.com/2012/09/sma...nexus-5-to-be-based-on-htc-droid-incredible-x

According to a new rumor, HTC has been selected to create one of the new Nexus devices and is basing its handset on the HTC DROID Incredible X.

According to the anonymous source, the Google Nexus 5 will be running on Android 4.1.2 which isn’t a huge improvement over Android 4.1. The latest version of the Android OS includes improvements to Project Butter, extra lockscreen functionality, minors system tweaks and bug fixes. The hardware on the Google Nexus 5 is said to include a 5-inch 1080p display, quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro, 12 megapixel rear camera, 2 megapixel front-facing camera, a large 2,500 mAh battery and up to 64GB of internal storage.

Dibbz

Guys I've been trying to get flash working on 4.1 Jellybean Cyanogenmod 10 but it just doesn't work. It either crashed the default browser or says I got to install flash in Opera. Why did they get rid of flash? Sucks.

Wellll I really wanted an HTC nexus but if they're going the 5 inch route, looks like I'll be hoping for a Sony Nexus offering or something. 5 inches is ridiculous.

Thank gads there looks to be multiple Nexus phones this year.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Those Nexus phones sure do seem like shit. The more disappointing part, however, is the lack of KLP news.

while these specs would be great, what you guys really need to be concerned about with the next nexus is whether it will have LTE or not, and how many different versions of it will it have?

Will be there be different phones (yes like the iphone) or will this be yet another 3g only nexus.

and i'm talking about the nexus sold in the play store, not the fake verizon and sprint variants

while these specs would be great, what you guys really need to be concerned about with the next nexus is whether it will have LTE or not, and how many different versions of it will it have?

Will be there be different phones (yes like the iphone) or will this be yet another 3g only nexus.

and i'm talking about the nexus sold in the play store, not the fake verizon and sprint variants
well considering the rumours are pointing to multiple nexus devices this year, I mean at least 2 of the rumoured 5 should be LTE, as an educated guess. Though it's not unlikely that all 5 could be.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If they're not revealing KLP, then personally, don't bother releasing a new Nexus phone this year.

I agree. There's no point to a Nexus that would make it worth purchasing from the current model.

kinggroin

Banned
I agree. There's no point to a Nexus that would make it worth purchasing from the current model.

Better battery, integrated LTE radio and high end camera would make me jump.

It really should bring along with it, at the very least, a small point release that polishes JB further. Maybe finally working on consolidating all the comm stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom