• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

leroidys

So for Christmas I get to pick out a smartphone.

What's the best phone these days, that's not ginormous?

Is there anything on the horizon that I should wait for, or is now a good time to buy?

What's your opinion of ginormous. That would help as well. In the android world there is rarely a perfect time to buy. I mean all companies will be releasing new flagships within the next few months, so there's that. But there are good phones out now.

gcubed

if you dont care about an HD screen and want a smaller phone with good internals and support on Verizon - RAZR M

If they could have put a 720p screen on that phone it would quite possibly be amazingly fantastic, now its just awesome

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I asked this In the galaxy s3 thread, but that's not the place for it, so I'll ask here, is there a way to play site embedded video files on a media player

kehs

Banned
I asked this In the galaxy s3 thread, but that's not the place for it, so I'll ask here, is there a way to play site embedded video files on a media player

Have you tried downloading the file directly? That should bring up a play with dialog. I've found that dice player plays a good variety of formats.

Your picture doesn't show up.

Fixed.

tumblr_mfmgu2352r1qi9fmeo1_500.png

leroidys

What's your opinion of ginormous. That would help as well. In the android world there is rarely a perfect time to buy. I mean all companies will be releasing new flagships within the next few months, so there's that. But there are good phones out now.

I'm not sure exactly as I haven't had a smartphone before... One that will fit in slim pants without a huge bulge. I don't care about screen size too much, I'm not planning on reading novels on it or anything. My girlfriend has a galaxy SII and that's about as large (or slightly larger) as I would consider.

Ventrue

In the stock clock app, there's a timer function; the one where e.g. you type in 8 minutes and an alarm goes off in eight minutes. However, the noise it makes is absolutely unbearable. It's like a smoke alarm. There doesn't seem to be an option to select a different sound. I'd rather not use a different clock app; I like the stock one. I just want to change the horrible noise. Any tips?

I'm not sure exactly as I haven't had a smartphone before... One that will fit in slim pants without a huge bulge. I don't care about screen size too much, I'm not planning on reading novels on it or anything. My girlfriend has a galaxy SII and that's about as large (or slightly larger) as I would consider.

check out the Droid Razr M and Galaxy S III. since you're not 100% clear on absolute size i recommend that you try out both in person to get a real feel on the size and pocketability.

Al-ibn Kermit

How come front-facing cameras are always in the corner of the bezel? I guess the speaker grill is in the way but you can still put it closer to the center.

Also is there really that much demand for 5 inch or 1080P phones? I mean there is some market for it but it seems like every Android manufacturer is coming out with a phone touting both of those specs while also slowly inflating their flagships.

kehs

Banned
How come front-facing cameras are always in the corner of the bezel? I guess the speaker grill is in the way but you can still put it closer to the center.

Also is there really that much demand for 5 inch or 1080P phones? I mean there is some market for it but it seems like every Android manufacturer is coming out with a phone touting both of those specs while also slowly inflating their flagships.

It's not so much demand, as it is assembly/component manufacturers pushing out new methods and products.

Remember the whole 3d craze a few years ago? That was because SOCs were including 3d as part of the package and companies decided to go wild with it even though they didn't know whether people wanted it or not. Even the phones that didn't offer 3d support still has it onboard, but it was just disabled.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So it seems like the next crop of big phones will all be...

1080p
Quad Core
2 gigs of RAM
1X mp back camera

Man cellphone tech is getting frick'n regoshdamndonkulous. I for one though welcome the new super high end specs! :D

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I suspect it's just easier to make bigger phones. It took forever for LTE models to go down in size. It's also a nice way to differentiate yourself from the iPhone.

tino

Banned

The world need 5" quadcore phone as much as Americans need 6-cylinder 7-seated SUV.

gcubed

tech and price. The higher res screens will always be available first in larger screens. When you start pushing that res down and ppi it gets more expensive.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Well I may be going to Best Buy today to finally replace my original Moto Droid on Verizon. I have a whopping $40 gift card and I can't spend a lot of money, $100 max. Any recommendations on what I should get? I'm looking for light and flat, large screen, good battery, and preferably no tacked on UI bullshit. I went to bestbuy.com and it says the Razr Maxx is free.....how do people feel about that phone?

Also, is this $30 upgrade fee a new thing? My mom says she was able to get that waived on an upgrade she did recently. Are they ever willing to do that?

Well I may be going to Best Buy today to finally replace my original Moto Droid on Verizon. I have a whopping $40 gift card and I can't spend a lot of money, $100 max. Any recommendations on what I should get? I'm looking for light and flat, large screen, good battery, and preferably no tacked on UI bullshit. I went to bestbuy.com and it says the Razr Maxx is free.....how do people feel about that phone?

Also, is this $30 upgrade fee a new thing? My mom says she was able to get that waived on an upgrade she did recently. Are they ever willing to do that?
The Maxx has an amazing battery, the best, but due to that it's a bit thicker than other phones, heavier as well. Has an average screen and a mediocre camera compared to the competition. Also the specs could be a bit better. But it has a non-intrusive skin, and of course, the insane battery life.

All about whatever you prioritize.

demon

How are the screen and camera compared to the original Droid Moto?

One thing I want to get a new phone with a larger screen for is reading articles and shit on the internet.

gcubed

yeah, the maxx is a bit old now. I feel like a giant shill, but look at the Razr M. It doesn't meet your big screen needs, but its cheaper and has good internals.

Razr M is only good for size imo. Otherwise it's not worth re-signing a whole new contract for a phone like that. I'd say he should get the Razr HD over it if he can. That's just me though.

But yeah in the end going by your criteria of good battery and non-intrusive skin, you're probably looking at a motorola device. The razr m does fit the small size thing if that's a big priority. But the screen on that is even worse than the HD and Maxx. Also all the cameras are mediocre that they make, so it's not worth comparing :p

gcubed

Razr M is only good for size imo. Otherwise it's not worth re-signing a whole new contract for a phone like that. I'd say he should get the Razr HD over it if he can. That's just me though.

But yeah in the end going by your criteria of good battery and non-intrusive skin, you're probably looking at a motorola device. The razr m does fit the small size thing if that's a big priority. But the screen on that is even worse than the HD and Maxx. Also all the cameras are mediocre that they make, so it's not worth comparing :p

well, compared to an original Razr its light years ahead of it on every level. He wasn't talking about the Razr HD or Maxx HD, the only thing free at BB on Verizon is the original RAZR and MAXX. I wouldn't recommend the M over the RAZR or MAXX HD.

Then he should get the Maxx, at least that's what I think. Way better battery by far and better screen. M is smaller/weighs less and that's just about the only thing it has over the maxx.

gcubed

Then he should get the Maxx, at least that's what I think. Way better battery by far and better screen. M is smaller/weighs less and that's just about the only thing it has over the maxx.

i think your insane :)

The chipset in the maxx is old and a battery hog coupled with the fact that they have the same screen. The RAZR M will receive more updates not being a previous generation phone, along with a much faster chipset. The MAXX battery life makes up for the shitty chipset, but the RAZR M isn't THAT far behind it due to being more efficient

kehs

Banned
If it's between the Maxx and M, go with the M, smaller package, newer innards.

If you can get the Maxx HD and M for roughly the same price, Maxx HD, hands down. Well two hands down, that thing is pretty large.

And since it's gcubes favorite network, the M has better chances at updates since it's newer and more of a google motorola device than it is a verizon motorola device.

gcubed

Seriously considering the M now. Thanks for the feedback. :)

play with them in store. the razr/maxx HD would be a different story, but the screen on the M vs the MAXX is actually the same qHD pentile amoled (same size also), but the M is smaller due to the bezel. You're going to lose a bit of battery life vs the MAXX, but again, the old omap chipset with LTE was so bad that the MAXX battery doesnt get you as much as it should... and believe me, I have that same chipset with LTE on the Galaxy Nexus... its a battery hog

edit.. and to copernicus's point, its one of the first googlerola devices as well, which you saw when it got the JB update MUCH faster then the RAZR HD's

demon

I'm confused about you guys saying the M screen is smaller....everywhere I read the specs say that they're the same size and resolution. Does the listed screen size for the M include a larger bezel or something?

kehs

Banned
They all have the same screen size, but different resolutions/body sizes.

M is the smallest physically with a smallest bezel. 4.3"

Razr is next. Thick and Thin based on Maxx 4.3"

HD is last, thick and thin based on Maxx. 4.7"

(lol motorola's multiple phones of basically the same thing)

moto.jpg

Don't get the original Maxx. It's showing it's age and still no Jelly Bean. Get the M. Like gCube said, it's the same screen as the original Maxx but is a smaller phone.

edit: No, the Maxx HD and Razr HD have bigger screens. 4.7 vs. 4.3 of the original Razr/Maxx and Razr M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom