• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
After thinking about it some, 4.3" may not be the jump in size I'm looking for from my Moto Droid. What about good 4.7" phones in the ~$100 price range? Again, Verizon only.

waxer

Half of the Chinese blogs stated 2300 mah, half stated 3000 mah. But its non removable.

I am waiting for the Huawei instead.

The official site in Chinese states the lower 2300.

Design: touch screen
Weight: 126g (Standard Edition)
Dimensions: 138mm * 68.8mm * 7.6mm
Color: white / black
WCDMA frequency: 2100MHz
GSM Frequency: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
EVDO frequency: 800MHz
Operating system: Android OS 4.1
Processor: Qualcomm the APQ 8064 quad-core 1.5GHz
Memory: 2GB
Storage space: 32GB
Screen Size: 5.0 inches
Display: Resolution 1080P Full HD 1920 * 1080 pixels 443PPI color 16 million color
Display Material: CGS process, NM2 The touchscreen: OGS full lamination technology, 10-point touch, the whole super-narrow border 2.67mm (1.97mm for touchscreen borders 0.7mm shell border)
Camera pixels: -1300 megapixel front -200 megapixel rear
Lens features: 5 Precision Konica Minolta lens, blue glass composite IR filter, sapphire lens
Photosensitive chip: BSI CMOS sensor Flash:
LED flash
Focus mode: AF
Camera mode: Normal / Panorama / high-speed continuous shooting
Battery capacity: 2300mAh
Video: Dolby sound / Breakpoint Play / gravity sensor automatically switches the screen orientation / Video suspended
Music: Support by artist, album, playlist classified manage music, supports lossless music player

Personally between this and the Oppo 5, I would take the Oppo for $19 more. All a moot point when z5 is planned for Chinese market and Oppo international.
Both have sony's new exmor rs camera with hardware HDR. I wonder how they will compare to the lumia 920 in most conditions.

I hope Oppo give the same support for international version as they have for their Chinese market. They do ota beta updates weekly and monthly main release apparently.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
ooh, the Galaxy Nexus, hadn't considered that. Any reasons I shouldn't get it? Cuz it's awfully tempting.

Jim

Don't get the original Maxx. It's showing it's age and still no Jelly Bean. Get the M. Like gCube said, it's the same screen as the original Maxx but is a smaller phone.

edit: No, the Maxx HD and Razr HD have bigger screens. 4.7 vs. 4.3 of the original Razr/Maxx and Razr M

Razr and Maxx started getting Jellybean 4.1.2 (with updated Moto launcher/widgets too) yesterday FYI. They stopped the updates for some reason though. Love going 2 full days on a charge with my Maxx, even while using the GPS here and there.

3phemeral

Don't get the original Maxx. It's showing it's age and still no Jelly Bean. Get the M. Like gCube said, it's the same screen as the original Maxx but is a smaller phone.

edit: No, the Maxx HD and Razr HD have bigger screens. 4.7 vs. 4.3 of the original Razr/Maxx and Razr M

My mom just picked up a Razr Maxx HD and it got jellybean on the 19th of Dec.

[edit] beaten

ooh, the Galaxy Nexus, hadn't considered that. Any reasons I shouldn't get it? Cuz it's awfully tempting.

Awesome phone. Shitty battery life can be fixed by getting an extra battery and a dual charger for like $30.

The haters in this thread are still waiting for 4.1 which is why they are hating :mad:

edit: which reminds me that the GNex will stop getting updates after 2013. So yeah don't bind yourself to any contracts longer than a year. Best thing about Nexus phones is not dealing with the ROM flashing crap if you don't have time for it (you should still root it though).

tino

Banned
Awesome phone. Shitty battery life can be fixed by getting an extra battery and a dual charger for like $30.

The haters in this thread are still waiting for 4.1 which is why they are hating :mad:

edit: which reminds me that the GNex will stop getting updates after 2013. So yeah don't bind yourself to any contracts longer than a year. Best thing about Nexus phones is not dealing with the ROM flashing crap if you don't have time for it (you should still root it though).

You can get a used gnex for 150. I wouldn't worry about not getting update next year.

Revoh

What Android version or ROM do you guys recommend for a Galaxy S GT i9000? I'm currently on stock 2.3.6 and it doesn't cut it anymore, it's super slow, buggy, the battery life sucks. Anybody with a similar phone?

Hieberrr

What Android version or ROM do you guys recommend for a Galaxy S GT i9000? I'm currently on stock 2.3.6 and it doesn't cut it anymore, it's super slow, buggy, the battery life sucks. Anybody with a similar phone?
Either the last MIUI on gingerbread (2.4.20) on miuiandroid or go with the latest official stable or nightly of CM10 (not 10.1).

buhdeh

How the hell do you hide podcasts from Google music app? I tried the .nomedia file in the podcasts folder but any new podcasts I download end up showing up in the music app. Only thing I can do is clear media storage cache after every new podcast download and let it re-scan but that is a completely retarded solution.

How the hell do you hide podcasts from Google music app? I tried the .nomedia file in the podcasts folder but any new podcasts I download end up showing up in the music app. Only thing I can do is clear media storage cache after every new podcast download and let it re-scan but that is a completely retarded solution.

what podcast app do you use? I use Listen and Google Music never sees those podcasts.

actually, Jellybean for the OG Droid Razr and Maxx dropped this week. but yeah, get the M if it's a choice between the two.

After thinking about it some, 4.3" may not be the jump in size I'm looking for from my Moto Droid. What about good 4.7" phones in the ~$100 price range? Again, Verizon only.

nothing good under the price of the $150 Galaxy S III

people naming the faux-Nexus Verizon Galaxy are not living in this reality. first gen 720p AMOLED tech can't hold up to the GS3. Battery life, what battery life? ESPECIALLY on LTE!

I do not in general speak ill of the dead, but I can confirm that the VZW GNex had absolutely awful battery life. It was a good phone with the worst battery ever.

leroidys

I checked out the Droid Razr M today. Looked pretty close to what I wanted, definitely the right size.

Obviously since this is the android topic, I know what kind of responses I will get, but... between this and iphone 5 and lumia 822, (and any others of a similar form factor), what would you guys recommend?

Also, what would you say that Android does definitively better than the other phone OSs?

Thanks for the help so far everyone!

I checked out the Droid Razr M today. Looked pretty close to what I wanted, definitely the right size.

Obviously since this is the android topic, I know what kind of responses I will get, but... between this and iphone 5 and lumia 822, (and any others of a similar form factor), what would you guys recommend?

Also, what would you say that Android does definitively better than the other phone OSs?

as someone who has used android/iphone on and off for years, it boils down to this really:

- iOS has more higher quality apps
- hardware quality of iphone 5 is excellent (it's like...stupid light yet solid feeling)
- camera is in the top 2 or 3 best, some would argue the best
- battery life is surprisingly good on iphone 5 even with LTE
- better software support in terms of OS updates

Android:

- definitely has more good apps now, though still not as good, but not as big a negative as it used to be, not even close
- more customization, customization to your hearts content!
- big HD screens yo!
- some have excellent battery (razr hd/razr maxx), but a lot are average to mediocre, make sure you read up
-widgets/multi-tasking

Best combo = android phone and iOS tablet imo. For definitively better rather than a list of points for each, I'd say the point about big HD screens, also multi-tasking/widgets, and also just general things you can do. Because it's open you can pretty much do plenty of ridiculous shit. Some people like that a lot. Tinker your heart away.

iOS is definitively better when it comes to apps/hardware quality/camera/good battery life (on the 5). That's about it. The negative with the iphone for some people who prefer android, is iOS is very "as-is". What you see is what you get. You won't get more unless you jailbreak, then you can do a bunch of neat things. Android could do most if not all of those things built in. So it's really what you're into.

I didn't mention windows phone because tbh I don't recommend it, so I'd be biased :p

tino

Banned

Depends on what your carrier is. If I am on ATT signal I would get a a 920 for $450, becuase I know I can unlock it and sell it for almost the same price 1 year later.

Between the iPhone 5 and the Razr M, the iPhone 5 would depreciate much slower. Moto phones don't hold their values. I wouldn't bother with any new Moto phones.

Its like what's your favorite icecream and what's the reason. There is no right answer for that question. Why don't you find your own answer.

not the Lumia.

and yes, Android is objectively the superior OS. the multitasking. the intents. the ability to set your own default apps for almost every phone function.

leroidys

Thanks for the responses everyone!

There is no right answer for that question. Why don't you find your own answer.

Well I've never owned a smartphone, and it seems to me that the operating systems are so similar on the surface that the things that would annoy someone or be inconvenient would crop up only after some heavy use.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The sound quality of the RAZR V when making calls is lightyears beyond what my Optimus One ever produced. The sound is so clean :O

tino

Banned

Well I've never owned a smartphone, and it seems to me that the operating systems are so similar on the surface that the things that would annoy someone or be inconvenient would crop up only after some heavy use.

At this point Android and iOS are so competitive to the casual users you won't miss much if you pick either one. Avoid Windows Phone in your case.

IMO getting a Android phone + an Apple tablet makes more sense than getting an iPhone and an Android tablet.

You haven't give us enough information for us to make any further educated suggestion to you.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

If you've never owned a smartphone before, get an iPhone.

Meet Lior Ron, The Guy In Charge Of Google's Big Attempt To Kill Samsung And Apple With An 'X Phone'

Google's $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola wasn't just for patents.

It wants to make a phone that can compete with the iPhone and Samsung's successful line of Galaxy phones.

To make those phones, it chose Lior Ron to lead development of an "X Phone" at Motorola, the Wall Street Journal reports.

From the outside looking in, Ron appears to be an unusual choice to develop a new smartphone for Motorola. For the last five years he's been working on mapping projects at Google. While good maps are important for a smartphone, they are hardly the deciding factor for anyone looking at buying a new smartphone.

He appears to have no hardware experience.

Google needs Motorola to deliver a hit. Motorola is losing money as Apple and Samsung suck all the profits out of smartphone industry. In August, Canaccord estimated that Apple and Samsung have 108% of the industry's profits.

Beyond the smartphone profits, Google is concerned about the growing influence of Samsung. The company is worried that Samsung will "fork" Android and cut out Google, says the Wall Street Journal, citing four sources familiar with talks within Google.

The Wall Street Journal reports Google wants "top-notch features for the phone's camera and photo software, such as better color saturation and the ability to take panoramic shots."

Cipherr

I'm not real sure what the deal is with Amazon App Store all of a sudden and good apps. Today the Free App of the Day is ChuChu Rocket!

That's tempting, but Id rather pay the 99 cents and get it from the Play Store than to deal with Amazons appstore nonsense. Does it still pester you continuously?

I can't tell if artucle is being serious, because this Lior Ron guy sound like a complete noob.

The article talked about panoramic photos as if it were some new breakthrough tech, and then cited that Apple had already "Beat them to the punch because the iPhone can do that as of this year". I almost stopped reading at that point. I do find it curious though, the massive hesitation behind putting a software guy on Hardware sparks worry here, whereas putting Ive (a hardware guy) on software sparks no such worry.

We will see, but I still think this X phone shit is garbage generated by the media looking for a story.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Is that a record for him being banned again?

Unless of course it was as Cipherr said in that was a Christmas reprieve.

Talon

Copernidickus got banned again? Magical.

RE: Samsung - they have that other OS with the terrible orb metaphor that they still use. I forget the name of it - something vaguely norse sounding if I recall correctly.

kinggroin

Banned
If you've never owned a smartphone before, get an iPhone.

Cant even agree with that any longer.

So many older members of my family bought or received an S3 and while not using MOST of the features, aren't having any problems browsing the web, checking gmail, playing angry birds or doing the basics. Also, when they ask (because they heard their friend or co-worker say it), "Can my phone do this?", its usually yes and I show them how. Most recently, my grandfather heard me talking about Google Now and had me enable it for him. He loves getting sports scores and traffic conditions and nows knows how to do one more thing he wouldn't have been able to on an iPhone.

Fuck the iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom