• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Cant even agree with that any longer.

So many older members of my family bought or received an S3 and while not using MOST of the features, aren't having any problems browsing the web, checking gmail, playing angry birds or doing the basics. Also, when they ask (because they heard their friend or co-worker say it), "Can my phone do this?", its usually yes and I show them how. Most recently, my grandfather heard me talking about Google Now and had me enable it for him. He loves getting sports scores and traffic conditions and nows knows how to do one more thing he wouldn't have been able to on an iPhone.

Fuck the iPhone.

training wheels and water wings aren't necessary.

I don't think it's about ease of use. It's just nicer to have the popular thing from the start. Support is huge, apps come out on it first, integration of everything. You can't go wrong either way these days but the iPhone is my go to recommendation.

In other news, the Note 1 is getting that multi window support.

Ever since Samsung released the Note II with awesome new features like Multi-Window and Air View, owners of the original Note have been wondering if they would ever see these enhancements. Considering the Galaxy S III started receiving its Premium Suite update about a week ago, we all assumed that the Note would be next. Samsung has now confirmed that with a new microsite highlighting all of the features of the Jelly Bean Premium Suite for the phablet that started it all.

The update is set to bring many of the features that make the Note II so great, including Multi-Window, Popup Note/Video/Browser, Easy Clip, Paper Artist, Air View, and more. Unfortunately, there's no word as to when the update should start rolling out, but considering Samsung is already showing it off, we expect it should be fairly soon.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...um-suite-with-multi-window-air-view-and-more/

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What's the best browser to use on Android JB? I just got the update for my EVO LTE and I can't use the Browser+ app that was made for ICS.

I don't think it's about ease of use. It's just nicer to have the popular thing from the start. Support is huge, apps come out on it first, integration of everything. You can't go wrong either way these days but the iPhone is my go to recommendation.
all the stuff first timers use is on them both, training bra not necessary.

yeah, there was a leaked build earlier, videos on youtube.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What's the best browser to use on Android JB? I just got the update for my EVO LTE and I can't use the Browser+ app that was made for ICS.

Try the stock HTC Browser. I know I know... Call me crazy, but the update for the One XL made the stock browser get by far the best Sunspider Scores and it supports Flash. Plus the scrolling seems really smooth.

Outside of that I'm a big fan of the AOSP Browser.

PS: I'm assuming syncing and stuff doesn't mean anything to you since you were already using Browser + verses Chrome/Firefox/Opera to sync with your desktop browser.

Hey guys.

I bought a 32GB SD card for my phone, and I'd like to put music on it.

When I'm dragging and dropping, does it matter where I put it? Should I make a folder labeled music or just stick it in the root directory?

Wazzim

Banned
Hey guys.

I bought a 32GB SD card for my phone, and I'd like to put music on it.

When I'm dragging and dropping, does it matter where I put it? Should I make a folder labeled music or just stick it in the root directory?

Shouldn't matter but I like to keep things organised with a music folder.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Two questions about my new S3 (on 4.1.1)

- I have Flash installed but it doesn't seem to work in my Chrome browser, only the stock browser. Is there a way to change that?

- I am only able to get Google Play streaming music to work through some browser player. How to get I get Google Play music in the music player app, and would it be available in the other music app on the phone (the one called Music Player that has the EQ settings)?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Two questions about my new S3 (on 4.1.1)

- I have Flash installed but it doesn't seem to work in my Chrome browser, only the stock browser. Is there a way to change that?

- I am only able to get Google Play streaming music to work through some browser player. How to get I get Google Play music in the music player app, and would it be available in the other music app on the phone (the one called Music Player that has the EQ settings)?

Chrome doesn't support flash.

Play Music is a separate app.

Try the stock HTC Browser. I know I know... Call me crazy, but the update for the One XL made the stock browser get by far the best Sunspider Scores and it supports Flash. Plus the scrolling seems really smooth.

Outside of that I'm a big fan of the AOSP Browser.

PS: I'm assuming syncing and stuff doesn't mean anything to you since you were already using Browser + verses Chrome/Firefox/Opera to sync with your desktop browser.

It's important to realize that the manufacturers heavily optimize the stock browser to improve performance. HTC, Samsung, LG, and Motorola all do this. So you will generally get the best performance from the stock browser. Chrome and Firefox have no device-specific optimizations for obvious reasons, so they will always trail the stock browser sometimes quite dramatically in performance. Samsung has the stock browser on the GSIII and GNII performing nearly as well as the iP5 Safari browser.

Of course if you nuke your stock ROM and put an AOSP ROM on your phone, you lose that performance benefit so there's no good reason to use the stock browser anymore, you might as well use Chrome or Firefox.

Not to be confused with the recently leaked mid-range ZTE Grand X for T-Mobile, the ZTE Grand S finds itself as the Chinese manufacturer’s latest flagship, featuring the soon-to-be-common 5-inch, 1080p full HD display. Still very usable with a single hand, a 5-inch Android should be still provide for single hand usage, making it more of a handset than a “phablet.” What makes the ZTE Grand S really shine is its uber slim 6.9mm thin chassis, rumored to be constructed out of a type of ceramic material.

Other specs include a quad-core Qualcomm S4 Pro processor, 2GB of RAM, 13MP camera, micro SD slot and 2,500mAh battery. If ZTE is trying to create a “household name” for themselves here in the US — this just might be the device to do it. Price tag for the Grand S is rumored at $450 (after exchange rates).

kQlog.jpg

http://phandroid.com/2012/12/27/zte...geous-head-turning-design-and-next-gen-specs/

ZTE doin' thangs!

Dali

My awesome girlfriend got me a tab2 7.0 for xmas. Its ics but apparently an official jb is being piloted. The comments I've read make it seem like a pretty annoying step back on the tab 2. Anyone have any input on this? Should I upgrade or stick to the touchwhiz ics right now? The complaints include less real-estate due to persistent bar, slower and more stutter (my biggest worry), custom button gone (previously screenshot button by default), among others.

Also any good tablet apps? I've got an android phone so I know what works well and is great on a phone, but right now I feel like all I'm doing is just the same stuff... only bigger. Am I missing some great apps that are tablet only or just completely different experience on a tablet or is this what being a tablet owner is all about? Don't get me wrong xfinity, netflix, and movies are great on this bigger screen.

Doopliss

It's important to realize that the manufacturers heavily optimize the stock browser to improve performance. HTC, Samsung, LG, and Motorola all do this. So you will generally get the best performance from the stock browser. Chrome and Firefox have no device-specific optimizations for obvious reasons, so they will always trail the stock browser sometimes quite dramatically in performance. Samsung has the stock browser on the GSIII and GNII performing nearly as well as the iP5 Safari browser.

Of course if you nuke your stock ROM and put an AOSP ROM on your phone, you lose that performance benefit so there's no good reason to use the stock browser anymore, you might as well use Chrome or Firefox.
This is untrue. The stock AOSP browser has much better scrolling performance than Chrome or Firefox (at least on my device, a GS2 running CM10.1) and is not noticeably different when it comes to page loading times. Chrome is just a poorly optimised mobile browser. I am skeptical of the improvement Samsung and HTC's changes make over the AOSP browser, on which their respective browsers are based.

Vanillalite

Better kernel drivers help with things like scrolling and cpu/gpu rendering for the browser.

As someone who just switched from CM10 to the leaked JB update for the One XL the HTC browser is faster.

tino

Banned
The worse the manufacturer, the sooner it announce the 2013 lineup. ZTE has shot its load. I expect Huawei and LG to come next.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Both Llama and Business Calendar are updated with Holo redesigns in the same day.

Christmas ain't over yet!

Vanillalite

So what do all of you Android people do for Audio? I say lets talk Android Audio for a second!

What music player or players does everyone use? Do you people who have something like a HTC phone turn on Beats Audio or leave it off? Do any of you use any EQ programs? What about external amps plugged into your phone? What sort of phones do you use with your Android set be it phone or tablet?

tino

Banned
I've felt this way about the Chinese car industry for a while...

... still waiting.

I think the difference is that car industry still has patent and IP to protect the current car makers. Google OTOH, has effectively made a royalty free version of OS with almost no software entry cost for new phone makers. If you can sign a contract with Foxconn, you can roll your version of Android phone.

This (the invasion of cheap Android/Chinese stuff) will spread to the other consumer applicances very soon btw.

Car industry is very much a difference ball game. The Japanese CE companies are all in the shitter right now but the Japanese car makers are still doing very well. The rule of the game is different.

tino

Banned
If its Pentaband like the P1 I would consider it.

Its this or Note 3. Although I don't like the virtual buttons.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
If its Pentaband like the P1 I would consider it.

Its this or Note 3. Although I don't like the virtual buttons.

Actually, me too on both points. Other Huawei devices were pentaband/quadband so I wouldn't worry about that.

I hate the onscreen buttons to but at 6.1 (5.8-5.9 inches usable), I can make an exception

Hey, how do I get rid of the messaging app's notifications? I have a replacement SMS app that also notifies me, and the original is just bothersome now.

For the record, I'm on a customized version of 2.3.3. Xperia Play R800x

Raoh

huawei_ascend_mate.jpg

6.1 inches.

Even I know that's a bit much

I saw someone today in midtown Manhattan with a phone pressed up to his ear that looked slightly smaller than my Google Nexus 7.

Ridiculous honestly.

Not the idea of a phablet, I like that idea, a phone that works like a small tablet sounds perfect to me. But since my first iPhone 3gs I stopped holding the phone to my ear, I used to use the apple headphones and eventually third party headphones.

Now, I only use bluetooth stereo headsets for music at the gym, train ride to work and for talking.

They also pair with up to two devices for easy switching back and forth. You can probably find something smaller and better looking but I wanted a headset that was also sweat proof.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Hey, how do I get rid of the messaging app's notifications? I have a replacement SMS app that also notifies me, and the original is just bothersome now.

For the record, I'm on a customized version of 2.3.3. Xperia Play R800x

You should be able to turn off notifications from the original messaging app (by pressing the menu button)

So what do all of you Android people do for Audio? I say lets talk Android Audio for a second!

What music player or players does everyone use? Do you people who have something like a HTC phone turn on Beats Audio or leave it off? Do any of you use any EQ programs? What about external amps plugged into your phone? What sort of phones do you use with your Android set be it phone or tablet?

I use Poweramp for the 29 GB of music which I keep on my SD card. I keep Google Play Music around only for the streaming from the cloud of the free music I've accumulated from Google's Free Track of the Day and other special offers.

Beats Audio is widely regarded as a joke by audiophiles. If you want more bass, any music player has an EQ which can do that for you. I only listen on ordinary headphones so I don't need an external amp.

Vyer

Also any good tablet apps? I've got an android phone so I know what works well and is great on a phone, but right now I feel like all I'm doing is just the same stuff... only bigger. Am I missing some great apps that are tablet only or just completely different experience on a tablet or is this what being a tablet owner is all about? Don't get me wrong xfinity, netflix, and movies are great on this bigger screen.

The selection for tablet apps on Android is a little bare.

Vanillalite

I use Poweramp for the 29 GB of music which I keep on my SD card. I keep Google Play Music around only for the streaming from the cloud of the free music I've accumulated from Google's Free Track of the Day and other special offers.

Beats Audio is widely regarded as a joke by audiophiles. If you want more bass, any music player has an EQ which can do that for you. I only listen on ordinary headphones so I don't need an external amp.

Yeah I know the Beats deal is widely known to not be that great. It pumps up the bass but then hella compresses the sound.

I try and use Google Music for everything. I really liked the built in CM DSP Manager, but now that I've switched back to Sense (until they get CM10/10.1 up to speed) I don't have access to that. I've been trying out this app called Equalizer for the past few days that I downloaded Xmas Eve. You have to pay to manually set the EQ, but it has like 10 or 11 presets so I just picked one of those.

Do you Android people use Cans or IEMs more for music listening on your devices?

Yeah I know the Beats deal is widely known to not be that great. It pumps up the bass but then hella compresses the sound.

I try and use Google Music for everything. I really liked the built in CM DSP Manager, but now that I've switched back to Sense (until they get CM10/10.1 up to speed) I don't have access to that. I've been trying out this app called Equalizer for the past few days that I downloaded Xmas Eve. You have to pay to manually set the EQ, but it has like 10 or 11 presets so I just picked one of those.

Do you Android people use Cans or IEMs more for music listening on your devices?

i use the stock Samsung Earbuds

gcubed

I use iems for 90% of my listening. I don't like lugging things around and the portability and isolation is iems is too good to pass up

Stylo

Is there anyway to load the YouTube app whenever I open a YouTube link? For some reason I don't get the option and it opens it in a new tab instead.

Doopliss

Here's a really cool Note 1 and Note 2 comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i93I0w0fko

I've been really impressed with heelsandtech. Her reviews are very in depth, informative, and worthwhile. Very cool.
Nice idea using lego to explain the pixel layout, but she screwed up by not making the pixels square.

Is there anyway to load the YouTube app whenever I open a YouTube link? For some reason I don't get the option and it opens it in a new tab instead.
Have you cleared the defaults of whichever browser you're using? Having done that, if youtube links don't give you the option of using the youtube app then it's the fault of the browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom