• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want my new phone already. WHERE ART THOU 2013 flagships. Oh yeah it's not even 2013 yet. My upgrade is calling me. The wait is difficult. I am strong.

elyetis

You might as well get a Note II now and then a Note III next year. At the current pace of phone innovation, 1 human year is like 100 phone years.
Yeah and by selling them the cost shold be about the same as waiting now, then sell the note 1 for almost nothing and buy a Note 3.
I'm just That lazy, not wanting to take the time to sell my Note 1. ><

Pctx

Banned
I vote we send her a message and have her be the unoffical GAF Android reviewer from here on out. Great subset of feature overviews without the bullshit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Note 2 is not an upgrade from Note 1, its a sidegrade at best.

I'm assuming you're mad because you can't afford to upgrade from your Note to the Note II.
I don't know, man. The Note 1 is really great. It's not a huge leap over the 1. The software is a big difference but since that's coming to the Note 1 already, it's not hard to wait. The 2 is definitely better but is it worth upgrading to? I didn't feel like it was.

I vote we send her a message and have her be the unoffical GAF Android reviewer from here on out. Great subset of feature overviews without the bullshit.
I agree. She also did that GS3 and N4 comparison before. Really, really good reviews. I'll subscribe to her channel and post the interesting stuff here.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't know, man. The Note 1 is really great. It's not a huge leap over the 1. The software is a big difference but since that's coming to the Note 1 already, it's not hard to wait. The 2 is definitely better but is it worth upgrading to? I didn't feel like it was.

I agree. She also did that GS3 and N4 comparison before. Really, really good reviews. I'll subscribe to her channel and post the interesting stuff here.

No phone is worth upgrading halfway through your contract.

The Note 2 is a pretty sweet phone, but I never used a 1 so I can't compare them.

jokkir

Galaxy S3 vs Lumia 920. Friend might get the 920. What do you say, GAF? She says she doesn't really care much about apps now but pretty sure she'll regret it later.

Hieberrr

Galaxy S3 vs Lumia 920. Friend might get the 920. What do you say, GAF? She says she doesn't really care much about apps now but pretty sure she'll regret it later.

S3 hands down. Why get a smart phone if not for the apps? All the Google apps are already a reason to get the S3 over the Lumia. The only thing the Lumia really has over the S3 is its camera.

No phone is worth upgrading halfway through your contract.

The Note 2 is a pretty sweet phone, but I never used a 1 so I can't compare them.

Depends on what you phrase as upgrading. I took a GS2 on contract with the deliberate intent of selling it to buy a Galaxy Nexus because I couldn't afford the sim free £530 it would cost me. I knew my network wasn't going to stock it, so I sold the GS2 for £350, then my Nexus S for £130 leaving just £50 difference. Well worth it for stock ICS and a 720p screen.

elyetis

wait for the jellybean update and see how much project butter does to bridge the gap!
Yeah i'm waiting, should come during january... if it doesn't get delayed again ( was expected during december, and seeing how ICS kept beeing delayed in my country, i'm not optimistic ).

Though its not even his speed ( thought my home page under sslauncher could really use more reactivity ) or screen contrast which attract me the most in the Note 2, it's the better battery. I know the Note 1 battery is already really good for a smartphone, but it's still the big thing that disapoint me on my Note.

tino

Banned
You can watch YouTube videos without black bars on the note II. It's clearly superior.

Most of the youtube videos are not in 16x9 format. Plus I read magazine scans and comic alot more than video.

If you have a wide screen movie, you should watch it on your HDTV anyway.

Most of the youtube videos are not in 16x9 format. Plus I read magazine scans and comic alot more than video.

If you have a wide screen movie, you should watch it on your HDTV anyway.

but then you'd need some sort of stand with wheels and a power supply to take your HDTV with you...

tino

Banned
but then you'd need some sort of stand with wheels and a power supply to take your HDTV with you...

Do you really watch full movies on your phone? I have never done it with any smartphone.

I only watch whatever video the Verge or Engadget link on their blogs.

I don't even watch Verge podcast on my phone. I only listen to them. I don't have time.

I always set up my smartphone so I can watch all my movies on my NAS but I have never actually done it with a 2 hour movie.

edit: Huawei's giant 6.1" phone probably will be call "Ascend Mate".

Do you really watch full movies on your phone? I have never done it with any smartphone.

I only watch whatever video the Verge or Engadget link on their blogs.

I don't even watch Verge podcast on my phone. I only listen to them. I don't have time.

I always set up my smartphone so I can watch all my movies on my NAS but I have never actually done it with a 2 hour movie.

edit: Huawei's giant 6.1" phone probably will be call "Ascend Mate".

movies? not yet. TV shows? yes.

jokkir

Anyone have or know the general opinion on the LG Optimus 4X HD? I'm mainly concerened about developer support with Cyaogenmod/AOKP, etc

I guess this is the tread to ask this.. I need a new phone as mine is broken. I am with T-Mobile, what phone should I get? Some say Nexus 4, others say one of the Galaxy phones, and I think there was a HTC phone also.. But yeah, whats the best one in terms of performance and features? My last android phone phone was a buggy, laggy mess, but I have a Nexus 7 and its changed my opinion more positively towards Android.

I guess this is the tread to ask this.. I need a new phone as mine is broken. I am with T-Mobile, what phone should I get? Some say Nexus 4, others say one of the Galaxy phones, and I think there was a HTC phone also.. But yeah, whats the best one in terms of performance and features? My last android phone phone was a buggy, laggy mess, but I have a Nexus 7 and its changed my opinion more positively towards Android.

i predict most people will say Nexus 4, then the rest will say Galaxy S III. both are great choices, especially the Nexus 4 since you already have and like a Nexus 7 and that's stock Google.

i'll buck that trend and say Galaxy Note II. it's SO AWESOME!!! the S Pen functionality is amazing!

bonesquad

I must be getting old because I just don't get the Note. The device is too big. While I wish my iPhone was slightly bigger, I do appreciate being able to use it with one hand. When I'm out I'm not going to pull out a stylus. When I'm home, I use my Nexus 7. The Note to me just seems to be a smartphone-tablet hybrid but does neither well.

I must be getting old because I just don't get the Note. The device is too big. While I wish my iPhone was slightly bigger, I do appreciate being able to use it with one hand. When I'm out I'm not going to pull out a stylus. When I'm home, I use my Nexus 7. The Note to me just seems to be a smartphone-tablet hybrid but does neither well.
works fine one handed with me. and it also means that i don't need a tablet at home!

Got the GN2 before the Nexus 4 was released, all in all I'm really happy with it, after seeing my dad's GS2 stock updated to android 4, I can say I like Samsung's touchwiz, other apps, features and S-pen(and pretty extensive battery life), but still Nexus 4 is way less expensive and seems quite powerful (from the specs I saw)
8 or 16Gb with no SD card support is a deal breaker though..especially since I get to experience first hand that 16Gb limit with the Note 2 (it seems it's the same for the S3 too), since Samsung f*cked us by having the internal memory as sdcard and the real SDcard as being mounted as extsdcard.. long story short you can't move apps data on the sdcard. (Unless you're rooted and swap the internal memory for the SD card via a kernel patch)

The note2 has a great screen though, amazing for TV shows, anime, comics and manga scans, and it's processor enables me to play bad fur day at full speed, so I couldn't happier really :)

Got the GN2 before the Nexus 4 was released, all in all I'm really happy with it, after seeing my dad's GS2 stock updated to android 4, I can say I like Samsung's touchwiz, other apps, features and S-pen(and pretty extensive battery life), but still Nexus 4 is way less expensive and seems quite powerful (from the specs I saw)
8 or 16Gb with no SD card support is a deal breaker though..especially since I get to experience first hand that 16Gb limit with the Note 2 (it seems it's the same for the S3 too), since Samsung f*cked us by having the internal memory as sdcard and the real SDcard as being mounted as extsdcard.. long story short you can't move apps data on the sdcard. (Unless you're rooted and swap the internal memory for the SD card via a kernel patch)

The note2 has a great screen though, amazing for TV shows, anime, comics and manga scans, and it's processor enables me to play bad fur day at full speed, so I couldn't happier really :)

i know what you mean, i only have like 3GB free on internal and all my music, pics and video are on the SD!

if i had a Nexus 4 i'd be already dead.

cloud lol

I want to eventually upgrade to the Note series, the only thing putting me back is the weight. I never use my Nexus 7 because that shit's heavy and the Note phones look to be in the same category.

There's a rumour that the Galaxy S4 will have S-pen functionality to go along with its 5 inch screen so maybe you don't have to go all the way to the note.

You're not alone bonesquad. I simply do not get the note either. I can't imagine a single situation where it seems to make sense.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You guys don't get it because you wouldn't even give it a shot.

It physically makes no sense for me though. It's too big for me. At home I just a tablet, and when I'm out and about I want something as mobile as possible while offering as many of the features/specs I'm looking for as possible. I don't see a feature set with the Note that makes me want it, whereas I'm willing to put up with all the 4.5-4.7 (which I still think are kind of pushing it on size) inchers because everything smaller seems to have some sort of annoying deficiency.

I've used one before and immediately recognized that it simply makes no sense for me. Don't like the feel in my pocket, don't like the feel in my hand, can't imagine a situation where I'd ever need a stylus nor would I ever want to whip one out when I'm out and about. Just don't get it.

In fact I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce the amount of stuff I carry in my pockets, not increase! It seems like added hassle with no benefit since everything I use my phone for can be done using a smaller device, which is more convenient. Convenience trumps all.

You guys don't get it because you wouldn't even give it a shot.
True; I was going for an S3 since the very beginning but then got interested in the, then, just unveiled note2, but couldn't stomach the announced size, then got to use one and ("fuck it.") just bought one, and honestly, you get used to the size very fast and the most important thing for me is that it fits in my hand (a friend of mine has a note1 and it's much trickier)

Also I don't have a tablet, and don't see why I'd get one now, tbh. (Running windows programs on a win8 tab could make an interesting for school though, but that's about it.)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
"Convenience trumps all"

Exactly, which is why some people like the Note 1/2. It's a convenient device that does the job of a tablet and phone.

3phemeral

I tried showing my mom the Note II before she picked up the RAZR Maxx HD and she was confused as hell with it. Granted, she's still getting use to smartphones in general, but I couldn't explain to her how to use the pen features. It didn't seem intuitive at all. In the end, while she did like the screen size and the pen, she ultimately decided to get the RMHD because she felt overhwlemed by the Note II's features. Plus, she liked the HDMI out and desktop-usage potential of the RMHD.

andthebeatgoeson

I just picked up a galaxy S3, verizon. It has 4.1 but I don't think Verizon will do me any favors by updating to 4.2. But is it worth it? Just did some digging and it seems like photosphere, some updates to Google Now, gesture typing and a better way to use notifications are the biggest updates. Am I missing something? Is it worth it to try and root for that incremental update?

Sorry if this has been answered before. Thanks for any answers.

BTW: Verizon are dicks. Selling the S3 for $200 now. Luckily Amazon came thru for $100.

tino

Banned
Why the hell you guys are justifying that the Note is not for you again? Nobody is forcing you to he use a Note. You can go to a dealership and buy a car in different size.

Am I wrong in thinking that unless going the rooting way, 4.2 is only on some Google devices for now?
I have an international note 2 (no fixed carrier) and 4.1.2 is as far as I got for now. (You can install leaked 4.2 stuff like the android keyboard with swipe on the stock note2 though)

Why the hell you guys are justifying that the Note is not for you again? Nobody is forcing you to he use a Note. You can go to a dealership and buy a car in different size.
it's a discussion

also I wonder when keylime pie will be out. Manufacturers are probably skipping 4.2 and will go straight to that if it's near :p

Pctx

Banned
Am I wrong in thinking that unless going the rooting way, 4.2 is only on some Google devices for now?
I have an international note 2 (no fixed carrier) and 4.1.2 is as far as I got for now. (You can install leaked 4.2 stuff like the android keyboard with swipe on the stock note2 though)
4.2.1 is almost as good as ICS 4.0.3, some new features but why not wait and just release it as a solid version to begin with?

The mod community is having a hell of a time getting most devices to boot on 4.2 so I really doubt carriers will bother on updating legacy devices. Course I'm running CM10 on my Skyrocket and don't really care what stock crap phones get these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom