• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a discussion

also I wonder when keylime pie will be out. Manufacturers are probably skipping 4.2 and will go straight to that if it's near :p
I wouldn't be shocked if Samsung skipped 4.2 and went straight to 5.0. There is literally nothing in 4.2 that isn't already in TouchWiz except the side load malware scanner which only catches 15% of malware (LOL).

I want to eventually upgrade to the Note series, the only thing putting me back is the weight. I never use my Nexus 7 because that shit's heavy and helpe Note phones look to be in the same category.
The Note II is actually lighter than the DROID DNA and the Lumia 920. It's not heavy at all. Samsung's plastic phones are much lighter than most other devices of their size. Instead, to increase internal rigidity they use a magnesium alloy frame inside the device which protects the motherboard and important internal components. This is similar to the design Lenovo uses in ThinkPads.

The Note II is actually lighter than the DROID DNA and the Lumia 920. It's not heavy at all. Samsung's plastic phones are much lighter than most other devices of their size. Instead, to increase internal rigidity they use a magnesium alloy frame inside the device which protects the motherboard and important internal components. This is similar to the design Lenovo uses in ThinkPads.

this shit right here. that with their perfect cuts on materials, they make solid feeling devices.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What are the pros and cons for using Falcon Pro over the official Twitter app?

Go read some reviews of the app. They're posted in the app thread. Or just google them.

I repeat this post from the galaxy nexus thread because i think that it fits better here.

Another thing that is bothering me
HQiWT.png

After updating to 4.2 this is what my browser looks like. an extra horizontal bar on top with an ugly ass extra loading bar on top that looks all weird. anybody else dealing with this? :(

Can anybody help?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I repeat this post from the galaxy nexus thread because i think that it fits better here.

Can anybody help?
I had that issue. It went away. Are you running CM? Because I am and was.

Cipherr

I just picked up a galaxy S3, verizon. It has 4.1 but I don't think Verizon will do me any favors by updating to 4.2. But is it worth it? Just did some digging and it seems like photosphere, some updates to Google Now, gesture typing and a better way to use notifications are the biggest updates. Am I missing something? Is it worth it to try and root for that incremental update?

Sorry if this has been answered before. Thanks for any answers.

BTW: Verizon are dicks. Selling the S3 for $200 now. Luckily Amazon came thru for $100.

Arent all the Google Now updates issued through the Google Search update? You don't need 4.2 to get the new features of Google Now IIRC, you just need 4.1. Then all the new cards are updated through the google search app, which is not linked to the Android point updates.

Can anybody help?

Im running 4.2 on a Gnex and have never seen anything like that, sorry.

I would go back to 4.1

I did not want to update, believe me. Before 4.1 my phone had become almost useless because of the whole radio bug where my phone would loose all connectivity once it got into sleep mode and the only way out of it was resetting the phone. Such a pain in the ass, it lasted well over 3 months until some update fixed it somehow. So I was trying to avoid any other updates just in case the problem would come back but the problem is I would get this message asking me to update all the fucking time so in the end i gave in. Good thing is that I think it runs pretty good so far, it's just this shitty thing with the browser.

Revoh

Either the last MIUI on gingerbread (2.4.20) on miuiandroid or go with the latest official stable or nightly of CM10 (not 10.1).

Hey, I've installed stable CM10 on my Galaxy S GT-i9000
It's amazingly fast but I have a few problems...
The battery drains really fast now.
Also, I can't connect to the 3G network anymore (my APN settings are fine).

How can I solve this problems?
Thanks in advance.

Revoh

Well, my APN configuration was indeed wrongly configured, I have Internet access now. Still, the battery draining thing is really bad... :(

Pctx

Banned
Well, my APN configuration was indeed wrongly configured, I have Internet access now. Still, the battery draining thing is really bad... :(
I actually just switched from cm10 to the latest embryo release which uses a custom kernel which is way better at battery management than the cm10 release. Did you reset your battery stats when you wiped and installed?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Anyone have any issues with having their Email app stuck in constant sync but never showing your emails. Hotmail doesn't seem to do anything but sync.

C0XiY.png

So glad it's taken half a year for HTC to update my One S to 4.1, which... uh... adds Google Now, which they have nothing to do with, aaaand... an unclearable, permanent notification to use a power-saver option.

THANKS GUYS.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Anyone have any issues with having their Email app stuck in constant sync but never show your emails. Hotmail doesn't seem to do anything but sync.

Have you just added the account? I've seen it stick there before awaiting input for a prompt in the background.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Have you just added the account? I've seen it stick there before awaiting input for a prompt in the background.

My gf added her account 3 days ago and it's been like that since then. I deleted the cache, disabled/enabled the app, deleted/input account info. Not sure what else to do.

Edit- Works fine on the Nexus 7 but not on the Nexus 4.

Pctx

Banned
Anyone have any issues with having their Email app stuck in constant sync but never showing your emails. Hotmail doesn't seem to do anything but sync.

C0XiY.png

issue with the AOSP exchange client of which I f'ning hate. Usually it is an issue with exchange server policies not loading on the client end (2007/2010 and up) that control whether or not your phone can be remotely wiped. I've had issues with out exchange server (2003) even loading with the default e-mail app which is why I went back to TouchWiz and Samsung's version of their e-mail client.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and downloaded the Hotmail app from the Play Store. That works fine. Wish the stock Android client did though.

issue with the AOSP exchange client of which I f'ning hate. Usually it is an issue with exchange server policies not loading on the client end (2007/2010 and up) that control whether or not your phone can be remotely wiped. I've had issues with out exchange server (2003) even loading with the default e-mail app which is why I went back to TouchWiz and Samsung's version of their e-mail client.

So the issue is on Microsofts end I guess. Any work around? It's dumb that the stock 4.2 email app works fine on the Nexus 7 but not on the Nexus 4.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Nova Launcher 2.0 is here.

What's in this version:

Custom Icon Size (Prime)
Swipe actions on any desktop icon (Prime)
Custom wallpaper cropping
Increase maximum desktop grid size
Infinite Scroll Drawer Setting
Alphabetical list drawer style
Small Icons Dock Setting
Force wallpaper scrolling on USA SGS2
Aggressive Desktop Setting (Keep in memory)*
Lower memory usage
Improve scrolling performance
Fixes, optimizations and tuning

*"Retrieve Running Apps" used for Aggressive Desktop and warning when multiple launchers are running

Additional changes:

"Swipe to open folder" allowing swiping over a desktop or dock folder to open it, with the tap action doing something else (such as opening an app).
Use app icons as replacement icons, for example to change a folder icon into the icon of an app within it
Disc background for folders
Folder background transparency
Slightly redesigned Nova Action icons (and at Nexus 10 resolution)
Auto-close options for drawer and dock
Merge Android 4.2 changes
New background image for settings apps

>using Apollo

It's seriously the worst music player ever. It's only there because the stock AOSP player literally hasn't been updated since Android 2.1 because Google switched to the Play Music app which isn't open-sourced. Even the CM people know no one actually uses it and nobody even knows why they bother developing it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
>using Apollo

It's seriously the worst music player ever. It's only there because the stock AOSP player literally hasn't been updated since Android 2.1 because Google switched to the Play Music app which isn't open-sourced. Even the CM people know no one actually uses it and nobody even knows why they bother developing it.

What is better that is still light on resources and without extra fluff besides Google Music?

iavi

Can someone please tell me how to run YT vids in the BG. There has to be an app. This is the silliest limitation.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Anyone using/used a Facebook replacement app called FaceDroid?
I see they lauched a phone version of their app (was previously a tablet orientated app).
It looks very nice at first glance, following Holo design rules.
On sale for 99c at the moment.

Hieberrr

Hey, I've installed stable CM10 on my Galaxy S GT-i9000
It's amazingly fast but I have a few problems...
The battery drains really fast now.
Also, I can't connect to the 3G network anymore (my APN settings are fine).

How can I solve this problems?
Thanks in advance.

Hm, try the last CM 10 nightly before the experimental 10.1. The kernel should be better. If that doesn't help, check XDA for other kernels.

Vanillalite

I saw that, but I haven't used it. Honestly now that they made the app native I'm cool with the official FB app!

I wonder, could anyone here provide me of a system.img from any MIUI v4 ROM? I would love to play around with MIUI in the Android SDK because I lack a Android phone myself. All MIUI downloads I found are in .zip format :(

thespot84

so on 4.2, every time i hit a 'back' button in any app (top left, with a little white left arrow) the app crashes. Is this a known bug?

Vanillalite

I use Poweramp. I've been using it for like 2 years now. I've used it on 3 different devices. It's the most important app that I own.

Problem with PowerAMP is that it is resource heavy and redundant for my setup.

The feature set is great, but CM gives me access to an actual great system wide EQ + settings. So the only thing I'd need is just a music player.

Problem with PowerAMP is that it is resource heavy and redundant for my setup.

The feature set is great, but CM gives me access to an actual great system wide EQ + settings. So the only thing I'd need is just a music player.
Unless you're still using an original Motorola DROID the system resources use is literally bupkis. And no one is forcing you to use the EQ feature in the player.

Madtown_

Anyone know of a way to stream with Amazon Prime streaming on Android?
Unbelievable to me that there is no app at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom