• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

Its supported, you just have to sideload Flash since it's not available on the Play Store anymore.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1931503 (need to register to download)

this might work to:
chart

gcubed

So... A shout out to grooveip. Been traveling around Europe and it works fantastically well! Been a lifesaver making free calls wherever I can get Wi-Fi signal

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So... A shout out to grooveip. Been traveling around Europe and it works fantastically well! Been a lifesaver making free calls wherever I can get Wi-Fi signal

Yep. Even though I moved to Europe, people in the states could call me and have no clue I left the US.

What's a good jelly bean compatible phone and reasonably priced? Keep in mind that Nexus4 is near impossible for me to get and I'm in Europe.

I have a wallpaper concern.

Every time I try to set a wallpaper for the home and/or lockscreen, it comes out blurry and low res. It always forces me to crop the image, instead of using the whole image. Is there any way of making my wallpapers come out at their standard resolution? I have a Galaxy Note II, by the way.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Every time I try to set a wallpaper for the home and/or lockscreen, it comes out blurry and low res. It always forces me to crop the image, instead of using the whole image. Is there any way of making my wallpapers come out at their standard resolution? I have a Galaxy Note II, by the way.

Download the Wallbase app.

Set Wallbase to show only the highest resolution it has.

Find wallpaper that is center focused because it crops in the middle

Set wallpaper and done!!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Set it via the browser. Hold click the image and pick set as wallpaper. It's a known issue. Well, known to us.

Might be a weird place to ask this, but do any of you have any recommendations on earbuds/earphones for using with an Android phone?

Looking for something to listen to music with, but I have no idea what's decent. Cheaper is better, of course, but..

Might be a weird place to ask this, but do any of you have any recommendations on earbuds/earphones for using with an Android phone?

Looking for something to listen to music with, but I have no idea what's decent. Cheaper is better, of course, but..
in-ear ones or not? If not then just google Yuin earphones. If in-ear ones, then there's too much to choose from and I'm not sure what's best.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

Bought a cheap pair of Sonys. $19.99 after $50 off. Depends on your budget. Sennheiser makes really great headphones but I'm happy with my cheapo Sonys.

Best Buy and other retailers should still have Boxing Day/New Years sales going.

I'm only now realizing how much data speed tests consume. Yikes. I think I better stop doing them on a regular basis.

On the subject of data consumption, is there a general rule-of-thumb for which apps I should or should not restrict background data on? I noticed that Google Play Music had used more background data than foreground data in my current cycle, so it seemed like a good idea to restrict it.

I'm guessing for apps like Gmail I should probably leave the background data unrestricted? (I'm assuming it would fuck up new mail notifications.)

Seriously considering upgrading my old not smart phone to a smart phone. I'm on a contract with T-Mobile currently, but can upgrade my phone for only 10 dollars more a month + the price of the phone. I have no idea if the phone will be subsidized or not, because it's mid contract.

If it's not subsidized, I was just going to go to another carrier. The contract is a family plan, there are 5 of us on it, so one phone not being used on it isn't that big of a deal.

So, let's assume it's subsidized. I have no idea what to get. I have never owned a smart phone. I have an iPad. And iPhone is 199 from Sprint with a contract, this is my backup if I can't make an Android work.

So help?

Price isn't really a problem, but I'd like it under the 199 I could pay for a sprint iPhone plan. I really don't care Android or iPhone, I just want a nice phone to be online most of the time and check my email and forum posts in the car.

buhdeh

it's kind of funny seeing all these apps go holo when the huge majority of Android devices don't even use it in their UI.

it's kind of funny seeing all these apps go holo when the huge majority of Android devices don't even use it in their UI.

that's a good thing, just makes the other non-conforming apps look out of place more and more

seems like shame is an effective way to make devs shift their design goals

Ubuntu Countdown: So Close, You Can Almost Touch It

Ubuntu Home Page With Countdown

T-Minus 25 hours as of this post...

Speculation some kind of Ubuntu hybrid with Android.

i for one think this ubuntu business is really interesting.

Not really knowing much about it (except that it is related to Linux) I have a few questions:

i assume this is open source? (as just about anything associated with Linux is???)
How does Ubuntu (or the people behind it) profit from this (i know Google is able to profit from Mobile search as well as the play store and its separate parts.

So how does Ubuntu make money? Or is this a passion project? i dunno. i'm all over the place but I like the way the interface looks.

One wonders if it could run Android apps, but i assume not since even older versions of android can't even run new apps (like 2.0 and down have trouble with a lot of apps) and then there are those apps that are 4.0 and up.

oh and also:

Do you guys remember when I was asking about a aftermarket head unit solution to control my Android phone??

If anyone else was looking for a solution I suggest you buy this:

Pioneer AppRadio 2 (or wait for the AppRadio 3 that will likely debut next week at CES and release in April/May 2013)

Now don't get me wrong, alone, the functionality of this radio is crap. Pioneer has not got it right yet. But there is a dev on appradioforums.com that has developed an app called ARLiberator.

It will completely mirror most Android phones with MHL or mini-HDMI connectivity, and you will be able to control the phone from the 7-inch capacitive touch screen of the appradio 2.

I think MHL works the best as i believe you can charge at the same time as well without having to use an extra cable.

I was thinking about having a Nexus 7 installed into my dash, but the upside of the appradio 2 is that I can still use AM/FM radio if need be in emergencies and without using up my data

Finally the app costs $30 which is terribly expensive for an app, but this guy updates constantly and offers great support in the forums. Also, since his app is I think the only one that does this, i'm game, especially since everyone only has good things to say about it. I'll probably see what the 3 has to offer and if it is better (preamp-wise) i'll jump on it, if not, the appradio 2 offers everything i need.

View these and you'll see what i'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYFTjMkBCpY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJW4V7U8k6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMJrdADRsEs

This guy even uses the Samsung Allshare Wireless Dongle to use his phone wirelessly. I would think this can also be done with HTC's Medialink HD, but have not seen it tried. It seems like no one has the One X lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oBBeCjJZ4

Bboy AJ

oh and also:

Do you guys remember when I was asking about a aftermarket head unit solution to control my Android phone??

If anyone else was looking for a solution I suggest you buy this:

Pioneer AppRadio 2 (or wait for the AppRadio 3 that will likely debut next week at CES and release in April/May 2013)

Now don't get me wrong, alone, the functionality of this radio is crap. Pioneer has not got it right yet. But there is a dev on appradioforums.com that has developed an app called ARLiberator.

It will completely mirror most Android phones with MHL or mini-HDMI connectivity, and you will be able to control the phone from the 7-inch capacitive touch screen of the appradio 2.

I think MHL works the best as i believe you can charge at the same time as well without having to use an extra cable.

I was thinking about having a Nexus 7 installed into my dash, but the upside of the appradio 2 is that I can still use AM/FM radio if need be in emergencies and without using up my data

Finally the app costs $30 which is terribly expensive for an app, but this guy updates constantly and offers great support in the forums. Also, since his app is I think the only one that does this, i'm game, especially since everyone only has good things to say about it. I'll probably see what the 3 has to offer and if it is better (preamp-wise) i'll jump on it, if not, the appradio 2 offers everything i need.

View these and you'll see what i'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYFTjMkBCpY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJW4V7U8k6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMJrdADRsEs

This guy even uses the Samsung Allshare Wireless Dongle to use his phone wirelessly. I would think this can also be done with HTC's Medialink HD, but have not seen it tried. It seems like no one has the One X lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oBBeCjJZ4

Thanks for this. I have a Pioneer AVIC D3 in my car. It's okay but clearly outdated. I think it would be really awesome to have Android in my car. I'll look into this further. Keep posting!

RuGalz

oh and also:

finally some development, but too bad it takes forever to start up it looks like and lack of rear view camera input is sort of deal breaker for me. hopefully app2radio 3 will be much more polished.

OTOH, if anyone want to use their existing head unit can consider customGadz mod. hope to order mine soon...

Angst

Has anyone else's data usage stopped updating since dec 31? Neither 3G nor WiFi shows up and I can't change the dates beyond 2012.

jokkir

Anyone read about this? It apparently fixes '90%' of lag on Android (needs root).

XDA link

So, I was experiencing significant lag as we all do from time to time, and decided I was going to get to the bottom of it.

After tracing and debugging for hours, I discovered the source of 90% of Android's lag. In a word, entropy (or lack thereof).

Google's JVM, like Sun's, reads from /dev/random. For all random data. Yes, the /dev/random that uses a very limited entropy pool.

Random data is used for all kinds of stuff.. UUID generation, session keys, SSL.. when we run out of entropy, the process blocks. That manifests itself as lag. The process cannot continue until the kernel generates more high quality random data.

So, I cross-compiled rngd, and used it to feed /dev/urandom into /dev/random at 1 second intervals.

Result? I have never used an Android device this fast.

It is literally five times faster in many cases. Chrome, maps, and other heavy applications load in about 1/2 a second, and map tiles populate as fast as I can scroll. Task switching is instantaneous. You know how sometimes when you hit the home button, it takes 5-10 seconds for the home screen to repopulate? Yeah. Blocking on read of /dev/random. Problem solved. But don't take my word for it .. give it a shot!

Caveats
There is a (theoretical) security risk, in that seeding /dev/random with /dev/urandom decreases the quality of the random data. In practice, the odds of this being cryptographically exploited are far lower than the odds of someone attacking the OS itself (a much simpler challenge).

This may adversely affect battery life, since it wakes every second. It does not hold a wakelock, so it shouldn't have a big impact, but let me know if you think it's causing problems. I can add a blocking read to the code so that it only executes while the screen is on. On the other hand, many of us attribute lag to lacking CPU power. Since this hack eliminates almost all lag, there is less of a need to overclock, potentially reducing battery consumption.

I'm not sure if it works or not but I'll try it after I finish doing a NANDroid backup

Ecto311

Anyone read about this? It apparently fixes '90%' of lag on Android (needs root).

XDA link

I'm not sure if it works or not but I'll try it after I finish doing a NANDroid backup

Just downloaded from the store and it does seem to make the phone a bit faster. Worth the $1.50 to me for the app and when/if updated i should get that when its up instead of hunting down the APK on XDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom