• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

A coworker needs a competent unlocked, gsm phone for under $200. What can you guys recommend that's not a total piece of shit running an ugly skin? Android 4.0+ only. 4.1 preferable. The Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus are too expensive on ebay.

buhdeh

A coworker needs a competent unlocked, gsm phone for under $200. What can you guys recommend that's not a total piece of shit running an ugly skin? Android 4.0+ only. 4.1 preferable. The Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus are too expensive on ebay.

There's probably nothing else. Honestly, if it has to be sub-$200, I'd rather use a Windows Phone than a low-end Android phone. It'll be a horrible experience. I guess the HTC One V or Galaxy S 2 could be worth looking at if it has to be Android.

giga

There's probably nothing else. Honestly, if it has to be sub-$200, I'd rather use a Windows Phone than a low-end Android phone. It'll be a horrible experience. I guess the HTC One V or Galaxy S 2 could be worth looking at if it has to be Android.
Yeah I usually go with WP, but ever since MS shitcanned WP8 for legacy devices, it's hard for me to recommend a device that won't run the latest OS.

The One V runs a Snapdragon S2 dear god. That + Android makes me hesitant. Fuck I might just have to get her a lumia 710 or 800.

tino

Banned

Used Galaxy Nexus or used S2. Or tell your coworker to punny up more money.

He should be happy to get a new phone for 200, let alone a smartphone.

At least now we know why Facebook was running that internal 'Droidfood' campaign:
http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2013/1/2/facebooks-545m-mobile-app-users

Android Facebook app use has surged past iDevice Facebook app use. I guess it makes sense that they finally made the Facebook for Android app use native code and not be utterly awful. Android is now their largest Facebook userbase, surpassing both iDevices and the poor sods who actually still use Facebook on their phone web browsers.

Less than half of Facebook users now access it from their computers. Facebook has become primarily a mobile social networking platform in just a year. It's no wonder they've been shitting themselves trying to figure out how to monetize mobile.

Message+

Google Talk/Voice

and that other one
soooo yeah google needs their own imessage. Not sure how any of those are like that. imessage is integrated into the OS, it's automatic as in it knows when someone else is using an iphone an automatically texts using that, and it's also available everywhere.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
soooo yeah google needs their own imessage. Not sure how any of those are like that. imessage is integrated into the OS, it's automatic as in it knows when someone else is using an iphone an automatically texts using that, and it's also available everywhere.

GMail?

catmincer

Xperia U perhaps?

so... he wants a stolen Nexus S?

i don't see anything else fitting all of those requirements.

try 2.

used LG Optimus 2x?

that's about the best i can do on ebay...

what does that even mean lol.

it means "why do you want to use a closed off communication platform? that goes against the entire point of communication!"

I don't get it. Why is it closed off?

i'm talking about the way it works. you know, the way how some people who switch to a different device sometimes no longer receive messages from friends because they no longer have an iPhone? in an effort to make things easier, things become more complex. stuff like that...

Hieberrr

Hell no. I want my SMS in the SMS app, Google talk by itself, because I have no interest in tying my chat app to a social media website. Google Talk is good for me as a separate app, because I have my own selected gmail contacts on there and the protocol can be used on both Android and PC.

What are you guys talking about lol. I feel like I'm missing something here. When you text someone on an iphone, it does text them normally. There's no app changing needed. It's all built into the SMS app. It just detects if the other person is using an iOS device, if they are then it will use apples servers and you can text pics/vids/etc to your hearts desire and get message read confirmations and whatever else. If they are not using an iOS device it will just text them normally.

It's all in one app. It's all automatic. I've never had this problem you describe faceless. You're describing a very rare specific situation which I've honestly seen not a single person complain about when comparing it to the benefits. And that's assuming I even understand what you're saying, which I'm not sure I do. If I text someone using an iOS device it will use imessage. If they switch phones or something to android it will be sent as SMS from that point on. Stop kidding yourselves, if google did it before RIM or Apple it would be one of androids top features lol.

What are you guys talking about lol. I feel like I'm missing something here. When you text someone on an iphone, it does text them normally. There's no app changing needed. It's all built into the SMS app. It just detects if the other person is using an iOS device, if they are then it will use apples servers and you can text pics/vids/etc to your hearts desire and get message read confirmations and whatever else. If they are not using an iOS device it will just text them normally.

It's all in one app. It's all automatic. I've never had this problem you describe faceless. You're describing a very rare specific situation which I've honestly seen not a single person complain about when comparing it to the benefits. And that's assuming I even understand what you're saying, which I'm not sure I do. If I text someone using an iOS device it will use imessage. If they switch phones or something to android it will be sent as SMS from that point on. Stop kidding yourselves, if google did it before RIM or Apple it would be one of androids top features lol.

what? it's a pretty big complaint from people. it's not rare or specific. do you really want me to pull the first few threads on this on various forums across the internet?

Ocho

what? it's a pretty big complaint from people. it's not rare or specific. do you really want me to pull the first few threads on this on various forums across the internet?

The problem I can see with this is that I don't have sms messages included in my plan, so I don't ever want to sms someone unless I really need to. Therefore, I don't want to use an app where I could sms someone. Instead, I use whatsapp or facebook messenger.

The problem I can see with this is that I don't have sms messages included in my plan, so I don't ever want to sms someone unless I really need to. Therefore, I don't want to use an app where I could sms someone. Instead, I use whatsapp or facebook messenger.
if you don't have sms on your plan you WANT this, because it'll let you text pics and vids or whatever for free to anyone with an android device. You can toggle it so it only uses your imessage and never sms. It's in the settings on iOS devices and I'm sure google would add a similar option for android. Way better than what's app and all that because everyone will have this by default integrated into the OS of their phone.

okok fine google shouldn't do this feature. Ok? I've switched from iphone to android phone frequently and it has simply never happened to me, and even if it did happen on some occasions to people, it's still a feature easily worth having. And when it inevitably happens I'll make sure to remind you not to enjoy it, because you obviously don't want it.

What I don't get is why Google isn't doing it. They keep talking about unifying their various messaging systems (Messaging, Talk, Voice, Google+, etc.) but never seem to get around to actually doing it. It's not as if they don't have a weapon against Apple if Apple tried to sue them because Apple invented a universal messaging client. Google could just counter-sue them for stealing Android's notifications system.

What I don't get is why Google isn't doing it. They keep talking about unifying their various messaging systems (Messaging, Talk, Voice, Google+, etc.) but never seem to get around to actually doing it. It's not as if they don't have a weapon against Apple if Apple tried to sue them because Apple invented a universal messaging client. Google could just counter-sue them for stealing Android's notifications system.
meh it's just google being google. Why are they taking forever to update chrome? They just take long to do things.

unifying all their messaging systems is something they need to do.

screwing up SMS by tying it into that too is what they need to avoid.

unifying all their messaging systems is something they need to do.

screwing up SMS by tying it into that too is what they need to avoid.
but the whole benefit here is that it ties to your phone number. Otherwise it's no different than using what's app. You don't want 2 separate apps. You want everything to be in Messages. As for how it filters, that's what options are for. Would it be perfect? Probably not. But things will smooth out for the most part. People who never want it can just hit up the options and disable it for good.

but the whole benefit here is that it ties to your phone number. Otherwise it's no different than using what's app. You don't want 2 separate apps. You want everything to be in Messages.

how is that a benefit when it actually jumbles up and screws things up on a regular basis? i mean, i guess it would be fine if everyone was using the same platform and never changed, or if all of the platforms simultaneously colluded to support the same built-in system and skip over SMS entirely, and everyone all over the world got new devices that supported it, but that's not gonna happen.

how is that a benefit when it actually jumbles up and screws things up on a regular basis?
sorry but I have never ever had a single problem. Obviously the only vocal people will be when there are problems. You're exaggerating it. No one is going to post on forums every time something is working great to remind people. I can honestly say in my household, and this is using multiple iOS devices and multiple OSes (android and iOS), there has never ever been a single problem.

I think you think it's worse than it is. Also in the end it's up to google to make it work well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope Google's message unification has something like iMessage. I shouldn't have to use a million different protocols. That iMessage bug happened before but it's fixed now, I think.

At least now we know why Facebook was running that internal 'Droidfood' campaign:
http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2013/1/2/facebooks-545m-mobile-app-users

Android Facebook app use has surged past iDevice Facebook app use. I guess it makes sense that they finally made the Facebook for Android app use native code and not be utterly awful. Android is now their largest Facebook userbase, surpassing both iDevices and the poor sods who actually still use Facebook on their phone web browsers.

Less than half of Facebook users now access it from their computers. Facebook has become primarily a mobile social networking platform in just a year. It's no wonder they've been shitting themselves trying to figure out how to monetize mobile.

That's Android v iPhone v iPad. It should be Android v iOS. Android loses that one. And they still don't have a tablet app.

Ocho

if you don't have sms on your plan you WANT this, because it'll let you text pics and vids or whatever for free to anyone with an android device. You can toggle it so it only uses your imessage and never sms. It's in the settings on iOS devices and I'm sure google would add a similar option for android. Way better than what's app and all that because everyone will have this by default integrated into the OS of their phone.

If there's a toggle, then it's cool. Although in reality we should be looking at Microsoft solution on windows phone. A single message app where you could decide if you wanted to sms, facebook msg, or msn message a person and all messages were gathered in the same feed. Better implementation than imessage, you would only need to tie a phone number to a Google talk user or something.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If there's a toggle, then it's cool. Although in reality we should be looking at Microsoft solution on windows phone. A single message app where you could decide if you wanted to sms, facebook msg, or msn message a person and all messages were gathered in the same feed. Better implementation than imessage, you would only need to tie a phone number to a Google talk user or something.

That's still awful. iMessage makes it so that I don't have to think about it. Your solution only makes it easier to navigate which type of message. I just want to message a person, that's it. I don't care how it gets there. iMessage does that but with only two types of communication.

Ocho

That's still awful. iMessage makes it so that I don't have to think about it. Your solution only makes it easier to navigate which type of message. I just want to message a person, that's it. I don't care how it gets there. iMessage does that but with only two types of communication.

Well, I suppose I like to be given a choice.

I hope Google's message unification has something like iMessage. I shouldn't have to use a million different protocols. That iMessage bug happened before but it's fixed now, I think.

That's Android v iPhone v iPad. It should be Android v iOS. Android loses that one. And they still don't have a tablet app.

but aren't the iphone app and ipad app seperate apps? while the android app is just one app?

sorry but I have never ever had a single problem. Obviously the only vocal people will be when there are problems. You're exaggerating it. No one is going to post on forums every time something is working great to remind people. I can honestly say in my household, and this is using multiple iOS devices and multiple OSes (android and iOS), there has never ever been a single problem.

I think you think it's worse than it is. Also in the end it's up to google to make it work well.
there is no way to "make it work well" if even Apple can't do it when they try.

people start to care when it doesn't get there.

Bboy AJ

Well, I suppose I like to be given a choice.
Why? The only thing you're trying to achieve is to send a message and you both have platform agnostic apps, why do you need a choice?

but aren't the iphone app and ipad app seperate apps? while the android app is just one app?

people start to care when it doesn't get there.

1. Exactly. That's why you should add them up to get a real feel of which is the more popular OS.

2. That doesn't happen anymore. It did.

giga

how is that a benefit when it actually jumbles up and screws things up on a regular basis? i mean, i guess it would be fine if everyone was using the same platform and never changed, or if all of the platforms simultaneously colluded to support the same built-in system and skip over SMS entirely, and everyone all over the world got new devices that supported it, but that's not gonna happen.
This is not accurate, wherever you heard this from.

Just because Apple had a problem with iMessage (did they fix it?) doesn't mean it can't be done better. It should be relatively simple for the system to poll whether the recipient has an active Android device. If not, send via SMS. You can even include a user option to NOT send by SMS for someone that wants to avoid potential costs.

Anyway, f u if you don't want Google to have 1 service that combines Talk, Voice, and Messenger. It's happening so stop treading on my dreams.

Zeppu

4Tha5.png

This is about 99% of the people I interact with via messaging. Gtalk alone works fine for me.

I'd like for them not to forget that the desktop client exists for years. Because having it separate from Chrome is something I'm quite fond of. And I know I'm not the only one.

But Talk is my most-used IM client. Normally for just only one or two people, but across PC/Phone/Tablet.

tino

Banned
4Tha5.png

This is about 99% of the people I interact with via messaging. Gtalk alone works fine for me.

I interact with all of my friends/family through google voice (TXT). Only one guy disable txt with his carrier. I pretty much plan to defriend him.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just because Apple had a problem with iMessage (did they fix it?) doesn't mean it can't be done better. It should be relatively simple for the system to poll whether the recipient has an active Android device. If not, send via SMS. You can even include a user option to NOT send by SMS for someone that wants to avoid potential costs.

Anyway, f u if you don't want Google to have 1 service that combines Talk, Voice, and Messenger. It's happening so stop treading on my dreams.

But you can already send SMS or email from Talk if they are offline. Otherwise Talk works well. I guess I am confused as to what the problem is, if any.

Talon

Yeah, iMessage works smoothly across iPhone, iPad, and MacOS now.

Also, Google cancelled my Nexus 4 order for God knows what reason. Hooray - I think I give up at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom