• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. There's no point to a Nexus that would make it worth purchasing from the current model.
better cpu/gpu, LTE, better camera, probably better build quality, and lets face it, they'll probably release the string of new ones with an update. It may not be 5.0, but it'll be 4.1.2 or whatever is the next incremental one, and just because it doesn't go to 5 doesn't mean it can't add big stuff.

I agree. There's no point to a Nexus that would make it worth purchasing from the current model.

Did they not just release jelly bean? 3 months ago it just came out. I think you're asking too much.

Tablets probably rearranged their calendars, and you won't see KLP until Google I/O 2013

Here is my prediction:

This Fall - Multiple Nexii/4.1.2

probably another minor update to 4.1.3 sometime in the spring

June 2013 - Nexus 10 & 7(2)/4.2 KLP

Next Fall - Probably another run of Nexii/4.2.1 or what have you depending on what small updates they do for KLP

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

LTE for the actual model sold through Google is a massive difference. 3g or 3g+/hspa/"4g" isn't a replacement for LTE once you get a taste of LTE if you live in an LTE capable market on a daily basis. As of now your only choice is to get the Verizon model which isn't unlocked and is arguably much worse than the unlocked phone (shitty battery life and carrier updates).

daoster

better cpu/gpu, LTE, better camera, probably better build quality, and lets face it, they'll probably release the string of new ones with an update. It may not be 5.0, but it'll be 4.1.2 or whatever is the next incremental one, and just because it doesn't go to 5 doesn't mean it can't add big stuff.

But with all of this, you can get current phones that have better specs than the Galaxy Nexus and root and install an AOSP ROM...I don't know why they'd waste time on a Nexus phone if it's not the next iteration of Android.

I think the Nexus 7 is this year's Nexus release already. We'll probably see the next major upgrade and a new Nexus (or multiple Nexus) maybe around March?

But with all of this, you can get current phones that have better specs than the Galaxy Nexus and root and install an AOSP ROM...I don't know why they'd waste time on a Nexus phone if it's not the next iteration of Android.

I think the Nexus 7 is this year's Nexus release already. We'll probably see the next major upgrade and a new Nexus (or multiple Nexus) maybe around March?
sorry but rooting is never a solution. Nexus by default or BUST.

Also all of the current phones could be improved in some way, so it's not like it hurts to release another nexus.

kinggroin

Banned

Because you HAVE to root and install an AOSP rom just to stay current.

The OoB experience is peerless on the Nexus line imo.

sorry but rooting is never a solution. Nexus by default or BUST.

Also all of the current phones could be improved in some way, so it's not like it hurts to release another nexus.

depends on if you have a Nexus or a 'Nexus'

rooting can be faster

Because you HAVE to root and install an AOSP rom just to stay current.

The OoB experience is peerless on the Nexus line imo.

my friend has a 'Nexus', he got Jellybean last night.

i had it a few days ago on my 2 year old phone.

gutshot

I don't know why everyone is ignoring that photo posted earlier in this thread. The next Nexus will be the GT-i9260 (aka Galaxy Nexus II or Nexus Premier or whatever they want to call it). It will be a slight refresh of the current Nexus. It will probably release with 4.1.2. And that will be it until next year.

There isn't going to be a 5" Nexus phone with a quad-core processor and 12MP camera. That's (Key Lime) pie in the sky talk.

I don't know why everyone is ignoring that photo posted earlier in this thread. The next Nexus will be the GT-i9260 (aka Galaxy Nexus II or Premier or whatever they want to call it). It will be a slight refresh of the current Nexus. It will probably release with 4.1.2 or something. And that will be it until next year.

hopefully it has an OMAP 4470, assuming they're sticking with TI...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't know why everyone is ignoring that photo posted earlier in this thread. The next Nexus will be the GT-i9260 (aka Galaxy Nexus II or Nexus Premier or whatever they want to call it). It will be a slight refresh of the current Nexus. It will probably release with 4.1.2. And that will be it until next year.

There isn't going to be a 5" Nexus phone with a quad-core processor and 12MP camera. That's (Key Lime) pie in the sky talk.

Yep. And I guess if they're going to release a new Nexus without KLP, that's the way to do it. Release a garbage POS incremental update. Fair enough.

Did they not just release jelly bean? 3 months ago it just came out. I think you're asking too much.

It's usually every ~6 months we get an iterative OS. I guess I am jumping the gun a bit but with every new Nexus comes a new OS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)#Usage_share

Vanillalite

Yep. And I guess if they're going to release a new Nexus without KLP, that's the way to do it. Release a garbage POS incremental update. Fair enough.

Moving to LTE isn't a garbage update for the unlocked version. I'd argue it's the biggest feature they could add since everything runs rather smoothly as it is with Jelly (I've said the same thing about the iPhone 5).

Now granted this is different from the argument that other phones already have all of the hardware features that most likely the new device will include.

umm people are ignoring it because the original rumour has stated that there will be multiple nexus devices from Samsung, LG, Sony, and possibly HTC and one more. That's why. So far we have rumours on the galaxy nexus 1.5 which we've known about for quite some time, we have some rumours on LG nexus as well as Sony nexus, and now we're hearing about HTC.

There is legs to the original rumour. The updated galaxy nexus is only one part of the overall story. That and we already mentioned the updated GN a few times pages ago.

gutshot

umm people are ignoring it because the original rumour has stated that there will be multiple nexus devices from Samsung, LG, Sony, and possibly HTC and one more. That's why. So far we have rumours on the galaxy nexus 1.5 which we've known about for quite some time, we have some rumours on LG nexus as well as Sony nexus, and now we're hearing about HTC.

There is legs to the original rumour. The updated galaxy nexus is only one part of the overall story. That and we already mentioned the updated GN a few times pages ago.

How old is that multiple Nexus rumor now? Like a year old? Without any sort of concrete evidence since? Forgive me if I'm a little skeptical of that by now.

And like AJ said, with no KLP, it seems silly to release a barrage of Nexii. Even IF that multiple Nexus rumor is true, I would expect they would do something that major with the next major release of their OS. Not for an incremental OS update.

How old is that multiple Nexus rumor now? Like a year old? Without any sort of concrete evidence since? Forgive me if I'm a little skeptical of that by now.
yet it continues to have legs. For one, the original rumour is from WSJ, who has an amazing track record. Secondly. The original WSJ rumour was in May. So that was the beginning. Then in August we got the leak from NTT DoCoMo which had Xperia Nexus, LG Nexus, and Galaxy Nexus 2 all listed in their systems. That was in the end of August.

Then about a week ago we had that LG nexus rumour, and today we have the HTC rumour.

I mean, it's not as baseless a rumour as you say it is. Could it be nothing? Of course. Plans can always change. But so far, where there's smoke....

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Moving to LTE isn't a garbage update for the unlocked version.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that since I live in medieval times Europe now. Mobile broadband is unimpressive but home broadband is sweet. I'm on a 100mbps connection at my apartment.

As for the multiple Nexus rumor, meh. Galaxy Nexus, GN LTE, Nexus 7, Nexus Q, and now perhaps the new Nexus.

yet it continues to have legs. For one, the original rumour is from WSJ, who has an amazing track record. Secondly. The original WSJ rumour was in May. So that was the beginning. Then in August we got the leak from NTT DoCoMo which had Xperia Nexus, LG Nexus, and Galaxy Nexus 2 all listed in their systems. That was in the end of August.

Then about a week ago we had that LG nexus rumour, and today we have the HTC rumour.

I mean, it's not as baseless a rumour as you say it is. Could it be nothing? Of course. Plans can always change. But so far, where there's smoke....

...there's fire!

this man speaks the truth. Definitely not a baseless rumor as we keep getting reports of multiple Nexii. It's going to happen. and it's going to happen without KLP, get over it.

go back a few posts and look at my timeline. you could put money on my timeline.

Vanillalite

Oh yeah, I forgot about that since I live in medieval times Europe now. Mobile broadband is unimpressive but home broadband is sweet. I'm on a 100mbps connection at my apartment.

As for the multiple Nexus rumor, meh. Galaxy Nexus, GN LTE, Nexus 7, Nexus Q, and now perhaps the new Nexus.

LAWL... On that note though can I ask a question?

Do you prefer having OMFG fast home internet or would you rather have OMFG fast mobile internet?

gutshot

First off, I may be mistaken, but I thought the WSJ was plugged in when it comes to Apple rumors, but not really Android. Have they gotten a lot of Android rumors correct?

Secondly, all these other rumors could just be piggybacking off of the original rumor. People making stuff up or interpreting things under the guise of that multiple Nexus rumor that everyone is clinging on to like grim death.

I don't know. Most of the other rumored phones don't really pass the smell test for me. They seem like the kind of phones that a fanboy would make up a fake rumor about, what with all the crazy specs and whatnot. Especially that HTC one.

The only one that has the smell of cold, hard, disappointing truth to it is that GT-i9260 rumor. But hey, I could be wrong. In which case, I will gladly eat crow.

Bboy AJ

LAWL... On that note though can I ask a question?

Do you prefer having OMFG fast home internet or would you rather have OMFG fast mobile internet?

It's a tough choice. Mobile is great but it's capped. If it weren't capped, I would just tether all day long and of course mobile would win out. But because of the cap, I prefer my uncapped home broadband.

I'll tell you, though, when I had my LTE Nexus, life was great. You guys still in the US are lucky. Mobile internet in Europe is not as good. People have insane contracts that charge a ton for like 250 MB of data. Thankfully, a GAFer told me about a company with a fast and cheap 3GB cap.

It's a tough choice. Mobile is great but it's capped. If it weren't capped, I would just tether all day long and of course mobile would win out. But because of the cap, I prefer my uncapped home broadband.

I'll tell you, though, when I had my LTE Nexus, life was great. You guys still in the US are lucky. Mobile internet in Europe is not as good. People have insane contracts that charge a ton for like 250 MB of data. Thankfully, a GAFer told me about a company with a fast and cheap 3GB cap.

is LTE coming soon AJ?

i heard about that everything everywhere thing about to start up but haven't really looked into the details and areas where it's supposed to start up.

Europe won't be in the dark much longer. I'm betting that europe will be on pace with T-Mobile US, maybe even before T-Mo US gets there official rollout off the ground.

Bboy AJ

is LTE coming soon AJ?

i heard about that everything everywhere thing about to start up but haven't really looked into the details and areas where it's supposed to start up.

Europe won't be in the dark much longer. I'm betting that europe will be on pace with T-Mobile US, maybe even before T-Mo US gets there official rollout off the ground.

I'm not too sure about the scene here. I think there's the start of LTE coverage in the UK and Germany. Germany has Vodafone coming with LTE, I think. I'm not going to touch a contract while I'm here in Europe so unless my prepaid company gets with it (or TMo, since they piggyback off their network), I'll be in the dark ages until I head back to the US.

tino

Banned
Even if google doesn't want to replace the Galaxy Nexus, they should still refesh it with cheaper components. I would put the same hardware in a 4.3-4.5" screen package, down cost the innard and sell it for 199.

At $350 is no longer competitive.

Cipherr

galaxy s2 hd and i'm still on gingerbread... I guess they really have no intention of allowing me to update ever

The S2 got the ICS rollout way earlier this year man, and the JB update Samsung is pushing right now is going to Galaxy S2, S3, and S2 LTE also. How are you still on GB?

Sign me up... Oh wait.... HTC.....

I have zero problems with HTC or their tech. Their only negative is that they dont update as fast as Samsung does now (moot with a Nexus) and that Sense is not Vanilla Android (moot with a Nexus). The One X has a wonderful build and a fantastic display. I would be all on board with a HTC Nexus. But I don't believe that rumor.

The minor iterative update thats rumored seems much more realistic. Android flagships come from individual manufacturers, not from Google Nexus phones. Topolsky's gonna shit a brick though. I would however welcome a MicroSD on a Nexus phone. I might spring for that and the updated camera. Not sure though, with how good the OS has become now, Im sort of ready to just ride with a S4 or a HTC TWO X next summer. Sense and Touchwiz no longer hitch hiccup and generally shit all over the usability of a phone they way they used to pre 4.0. Its approaching the point where I dont have to worry about the software and can just buy the phone based on the hardware stuff like Camera and Screen tech.

luffeN

I am currently using an Asus Transformer Pad with Android 4.0.3 and was wondering if there is an app or a setting where I can say that pictures while browsing the web or certain pages are not automatically loaded but shown as an icon? Is there anything like this?

The S2 got the ICS rollout way earlier this year man, and the JB update Samsung is pushing right now is going to Galaxy S2, S3, and S2 LTE also. How are you still on GB?

I have zero problems with HTC or their tech. Their only negative is that they dont update as fast as Samsung does now (moot with a Nexus) and that Sense is not Vanilla Android (moot with a Nexus). The One X has a wonderful build and a fantastic display. I would be all on board with a HTC Nexus. But I don't believe that rumor.

The minor iterative update thats rumored seems much more realistic. Android flagships come from individual manufacturers, not from Google Nexus phones. Topolsky's gonna shit a brick though. I would however welcome a MicroSD on a Nexus phone. I might spring for that and the updated camera. Not sure though, with how good the OS has become now, Im sort of ready to just ride with a S4 or a HTC TWO X next summer. Sense and Touchwiz no longer hitch hiccup and generally shit all over the usability of a phone they way they used to pre 4.0. Its approaching the point where I dont have to worry about the software and can just buy the phone based on the hardware stuff like Camera and Screen tech.

i'm gonna shit a brick if they pull off this multiple Nexii rumor. Would love to have a choice...

but which one will be the penultimate Nexus? Probably the GNex 2. I would assume.

Vanillalite

So I just bought my first android phone! As I said, I bought an Samsung Galaxy SII. Where should I begin?

Make sure you are up to date on updates. Then try it out. Seems like jelly bean might be soon coming so you might want to wait on that or you can try flashing a Rom after you root.

Definitely make sure you are running ICS bare minimum though.

jokkir

I know people are Canadians here so I ask, what's better? Wind or Mobilicity? I'm with Mobilicity right now and it's decent enough but I want the faster data and more coverage and for 5$ more, I see it being worth the price (currently paying $25 for my Mobilicity plan w/ unlimited everything).

So what do you say? Maybe I should make a separate thread on OT for this >__>

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I know people are Canadians here so I ask, what's better? Wind or Mobilicity? I'm with Mobilicity right now and it's decent enough but I want the faster data and more coverage and for 5$ more, I see it being worth the price (currently paying $25 for my Mobilicity plan w/ unlimited everything).

I'm not sure, but I don't think speeds are going to be that different between the two. Coverage though, that's definitely better on Wind.

I hope the October event rumors are true. My contract is up and my Incredible isn't cutting it anymore. I would love something with S3 level specs available with the stock OS

Wind has historically been faster (started at 7.2 Mb and now towers are being upgraded to 21 Mb, whereas mobilicity started at 3.6 Mb and only recently announced that they are upgrading their network to 21 Mb)

Wind has more radio bandwidth than Mobilicity in some markets, and wind has a significantly higher tower count with more towns covered.

I've never personally used mobilicity, but I've heard people claiming that their service is better in terms of call quality, and of course they offer ways to save a decent amount of cash over wind. Personally my job has me going all over the GTA, so wind wins over mobilicity for me.

The best advice I could give you is to look up some cell tower maps and see who has towers closer to your home, because with aws being poorer at penetrating buildings, getting shitty signal at home can suck.

jokkir

Wind has historically been faster (started at 7.2 Mb and now towers are being upgraded to 21 Mb, whereas mobilicity started at 3.6 Mb and only recently announced that they are upgrading their network to 21 Mb)

Wind has more radio bandwidth than Mobilicity in some markets, and wind has a significantly higher tower count with more towns covered.

I've never personally used mobilicity, but I've heard people claiming that their service is better in terms of call quality, and of course they offer ways to save a decent amount of cash over wind. Personally my job has me going all over the GTA, so wind wins over mobilicity for me.

The best advice I could give you is to look up some cell tower maps and see who has towers closer to your home, because with aws being poorer at penetrating buildings, getting shitty signal at home can suck.

Where's the announcement for Mobilcity upgrading their towers? So after the upgrade it should be just around the same speed as Wind? The main problem I have with Mobilicity is that the internet is so random that I never know when I'm ever going to get a decent connection and I'm hoping that Wind can fix that.

I looked up the towers for both and Wind seems to have more towers that support HSDPA and I assume that would mean faster speeds, no?

Pctx

Banned

"you never studied.... "

Go back and re-read my N1 thread and understand my hate towards HTC.

Bboy AJ

Even if google doesn't want to replace the Galaxy Nexus, they should still refesh it with cheaper components. I would put the same hardware in a 4.3-4.5" screen package, down cost the innard and sell it for 199.

At $350 is no longer competitive.

More fragmentation.

Pctx

Banned
OMJESUS, I just upgraded to CM9.1 on my Skyrocket.... why oh why have I been using stock for this long!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

wetwired

So my Galaxy Nexus's USB port decided to literally fry the other night, while it's off for repair and I'm smartphoneless I figured I'd look into possibly picking up an Android tablet, something I've wanted for a while.

What would people recommended? I hear the Nexus 7 is good but I feel the screen size isn't enough of a jump up from the Galaxy Nexus to warrant it. I'll only need it for Wifi so I don't need 3/4G.

Main use will just be comic reading, net surfing, video watching. Games aren't really a priority.

PSA for Samsung Galaxy owners running TouchWiz:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/3403928/samsung-touchwiz-reset-vulnerability

Samsung is finding itself in a spot of bother this morning, as a particular piece of HTML code has emerged that, when clicked, instantly resets the Galaxy S II — and potentially other Android devices running the TouchWiz UI. Posted by Pau Oliva earlier today, the code was initially thought to affect the current flagship Galaxy S III model, however multiple negative reports and our own testing have shown that it only brings up the phone's dialer, failing to execute the full reset without user intervention. The latter is really the issue here: Samsung's software changes atop stock Android are allowing the GS II to automatically dial the hard reset code, taking away a critical aspect of user control.

The Galaxy S II is the only device we're certain is affected by the problem so far, though Tweakers.net reports successfully recreating it on the Galaxy S Advance as well. We're in touch with Samsung to get a better idea of the full scale and depth of this vulnerability.

Update: we have now managed to test this on an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III and have confirmed it works on the device. Samsung tells us it's "looking into" the reports.
"Pau Oliva@pof
the USSD code to factory data reset a Galaxy S3 is *2767*3855# can be triggered from browser like this: <frame src="tel:*2767*3855%23" />"

DO NOT ENTER THE CODE ON YOUR PHONE IT WILL FACTORY RESET

So my Galaxy Nexus's USB port decided to literally fry the other night, while it's off for repair and I'm smartphoneless I figured I'd look into possibly picking up an Android tablet, something I've wanted for a while.

What would people recommended? I hear the Nexus 7 is good but I feel the screen size isn't enough of a jump up from the Galaxy Nexus to warrant it. I'll only need it for Wifi so I don't need 3/4G.

Main use will just be comic reading, net surfing, video watching. Games aren't really a priority.

I would say at least go look at a nexus 7. But if screen size really bothers you there are two options.

You could either wait for the next transformer to come out in possibly Dec. Maybe Jan or Feb more likely, or you could get the 11 inch galaxy tab 2...that thing is big by tablet standards.

Pctx

Banned
Just goes to show you how stupid it is to give carriers control of shit since their customers will eat them alive for this.

VoxPop

Does it really matter? Not like people are going to type in a random string of numbers and symbols into their dial pad.

Does it really matter? Not like people are going to type in a random string of numbers and symbols into their dial pad.
it may not be viable in real world random situations, but in targeted attacks, it can be useful.. like say someone knows their cousin has a verizon gs3 and wants to get back at them because of some random late night prank involving powder, lipstick and instagram...

gutshot

The problem is a hacker can create an HTML link that enters the code automatically once clicked. So someone clicks on an innocuous-looking link and their phone gets wiped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom