• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Did you get your Nexus 4 yet? What do you think?
I did eventually get it, but because they took so long to ship/deliver, I had to order another phone for the mean time. So I sold it off when it did arrive and now I'm waiting for them to get it back in stock.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I did eventually get it, but because they took so long to ship/deliver, I had to order another phone for the mean time. So I sold it off when it did arrive and now I'm waiting for them to get it back in stock.
Scalper.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Buying just one and selling it a month later for very little profit after ebay fees is hardly scalping. Blame Google for not getting it to me in a reasonable amount of time.
Guys, I found the reason you haven't gotten your N4 yet.

waxer

Are there any good examples of how the software nav buttons work vs hardware. Im a little confused as to how they work. Do they disappear in apps or just games/movies. How do you exit if they do disappear?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Are there any good examples of how the software nav buttons work vs hardware. Im a little confused as to how they work. Do they disappear in apps or just games/movies. How do you exit if they do disappear?

The on screen buttons morph into tiny dots. When you touch the screen while the dots are there, they morph back to the regular buttons.

Bboy AJ

I sold my Galaxy Note 1 for $500 this morning. In person, cash. Awesome. And my Nexus 4 keeps on trucking with Franco's R28. What a great phone upgrade. Although I loved my Note, never not a Nexus again.

tino

Banned
I sold my Galaxy Note 1 for $500 this morning. In person, cash. Awesome. And my Nexus 4 keeps on trucking with Franco's R28. What a great phone upgrade. Although I loved my Note, never not a Nexus again.

Really? are you in Europe? If I can get that much for mine I would sell it too. And then I will get a Huawei Mate.

Bboy AJ

Really? are you in Europe? If I can get that much for mine I would sell it too. And then I will get a Huawei Mate.
Yup, Germany. I sold it for $500 dollars, though, not euros.

I had a few people interested but only one buyer that truly seemed interested.

Cipherr

Shit.... if they start holding their value like that, I might have to join the bigassphone club.

I am getting a new Android phone. I settled for the Galaxy S III (US), but what would you recommend, that or the Galaxy Note (International)? I bought my SGS III used for $400 and can still sell it if I want to switch.

The Galaxy S III US has a dual core processor that's supposedly a bit better than the Galaxy Note Int'l, and it costs a bit more used ($400 instead of maybe $370) but the Galaxy Note is, well, the Galaxy Note. The huge screen, the pen (I complain about capacitive screens on a near daily basis, the S-Pen sounds amazing), etc.

The Galaxy Note US has a single core processor, and I hear it has significantly worse performance than the int'l version. I don't care about 4G, so I could get the int'l version, use it on t-mobile, still get 3G, and be happy.

Ocho

I am getting a new Android phone. I settled for the Galaxy S III (US), but what would you recommend, that or the Galaxy Note (International)? I bought my SGS III used for $400 and can still sell it if I want to switch.

The Galaxy S III US has a dual core processor that's supposedly a bit better than the Galaxy Note Int'l, and it costs a bit more used ($400 instead of maybe $370) but the Galaxy Note is, well, the Galaxy Note. The huge screen, the pen (I complain about capacitive screens on a near daily basis, the S-Pen sounds amazing), etc.

The Galaxy Note US has a single core processor, and I hear it has significantly worse performance than the int'l version. I don't care about 4G, so I could get the int'l version, use it on t-mobile, still get 3G, and be happy.

I'd stick to the GS3. I would only get a Note 2 over a S3.

if your #1 concern is the S Pen, get the Note. if it's not, GS3 all the way.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just started using Firefox on my nexus 7. I had just been rolling with chrome (dolphin on my phone) previously. This definitely feels smoother, and flash support is awesome. Only thing I don't like is the tab switching situation. Really Mozilla, you want me to press a button first? What decade is this

Edit: Welp, it just crashed on me twice when I tried to load a content heavy page. Back to chrome!

Hieberrr

Just started using Firefox on my nexus 7. I had just been rolling with chrome (dolphin on my phone) previously. This definitely feels smoother, and flash support is awesome. Only thing I don't like is the tab switching situation. Really Mozilla, you want me to press a button first? What decade is this

Edit: Welp, it just crashed on me twice when I tried to load a content heavy page. Back to chrome!

Firefox is really shitty. For Flash support, the only real option is rooting and flashing the stock ICS browser.

I love how clean stock is but is there any way to have a different lock screen and home screen wallpaper? Without rooting or any of that. Maybe an app or something?

^
You can change your wallpaper by long pressing an empty space on your home screen. A menu will pop up, allowing you to change your wallpaper.

I am no expert on lock screens, though. IIRC you can change them, but I never had a desire to so I don't know for sure.

I'd stick to the GS3. I would only get a Note 2 over a S3.

if your #1 concern is the S Pen, get the Note. if it's not, GS3 all the way.

So the S III is that much better? Guess I made the right choice then, thanks.

The Note 2 would have been ideal, but it's outside my budget. I can't wait for the price of it to drop.

The Note 2 would have been ideal, but it's outside my budget. I can't wait for the price of it to drop.

The Note II is a better device, with a screen that isn't PenTile being the biggest and most noticeable difference. But the Note II is also a considerably larger device, so unless you're okay with it's size, the S3 is certainly a more compact option. However if you want the best, you have to pay for it. Samsung includes a fair amount of value added in the Note II which is fundamentally based on the same hardware platform as the S3. The Note II is an improvement in every respect over the S3, but only incrementally. Better screen, slightly faster stock clock on the processor, S-Pen, and Jelly Bean as the base ROM more or less sums up Note II vs. S3.

The exception to this is in North America, where the S3 is actually a completely different device inside with a Snapdragon S4 instead of Exynos 4412 Quad. If you are in North America, the Note II is a rather large upgrade from the S3, which has a dual-core processor instead of quad-core inside.

I would not buy an original Note today. The International Note is based on the aging S2's platform. The North American Note is not even in the realm of consideration.

Anybody ever had an issue with duplicate widgets appearing on the homescreen? A second copy of every widget somehow overlapped the original one - only reason I noticed was because my clock and battery widgets had different numbers transposed on one another. When I tried to delete the wrong/extra copy, the right one got deleted first. Only by tossing the wrong copy again did it go away. Now I have to remake all my widgets :-(

I've been running ICS for months and this issue just happened now.

The Note II is a better device, with a screen that isn't PenTile being the biggest and most noticeable difference. But the Note II is also a considerably larger device, so unless you're okay with it's size, the S3 is certainly a more compact option. However if you want the best, you have to pay for it. Samsung includes a fair amount of value added in the Note II which is fundamentally based on the same hardware platform as the S3. The Note II is an improvement in every respect over the S3, but only incrementally. Better screen, slightly faster stock clock on the processor, S-Pen, and Jelly Bean as the base ROM more or less sums up Note II vs. S3.

The exception to this is in North America, where the S3 is actually a completely different device inside with a Snapdragon S4 instead of Exynos 4412 Quad. If you are in North America, the Note II is a rather large upgrade from the S3, which has a dual-core processor instead of quad-core inside.

I would not buy an original Note today. The International Note is based on the aging S2's platform. The North American Note is not even in the realm of consideration.

Yes, I am bummed that Samsung gimped the US versions of their phones, but I read somewhere that the S III US is effectively not too different in performance from the International version (especially compared to the Note US vs. Note Int'l, where it's a huge difference), and that the US phone has a slightly better GPU and double the RAM anyway.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I'm having this weird sound issue on my HTC One. For whatever reason, it seems to have a problem playing music in stereo. Like, I'll be listening to a song, and stuff that should be coming out of one of the channels will just not be there at all. It sounds like what would happen if you were listening to a song on your PC and turned one of the speakers completely off. And there doesn't seem to be any setting I can change to fix this. Is this just a thing with phones like this (this is my first smartphone)?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the good news is the Tegra 4 is a nice performance jump over the Tegra 3 and comes with great camera features and nvidia's own soft modem.

The bad news is it isn't coming out anytime soonish and is only like 10% faster than the current iPad chip which has been out to buy for a couple of months now.

gcubed

So the good news is the Tegra 4 is a nice performance jump over the Tegra 3 and comes with great camera features and nvidia's own soft modem.

The bad news is it isn't coming out anytime soonish and is only like 10% faster than the current iPad chip which has been out to buy for a couple of months now.

im over the arms race because nothing ever takes advantage of the latest and greatest. Give me features, price and battery life.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Things are looking not so rosy for HTC as profits for Q4 2012 dropped massively year on year. Only made 29M compared to nearly 5B for Samsung.

They better hope their 2013 range of phones are a huge hit. Hard to believe that 2 years ago they had the biggest market share on Android.

SimleuqiR

Hey guys, is there a BlackBerry-like Notification Center available for Android? One that aggregates all notifications, emails, etc? Maybe even one with a widget?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.koxx.pure_messenger&hl=en

Pure Messenger Widget?

3ym8ngRgfVh5eH5NzOGfpjqNhqVIhABJe_OI9OICAz_hBfH9dbj6s4271CJ3bj1Gfw

It's all that came to mind.

tino

Banned
^
You can change your wallpaper by long pressing an empty space on your home screen. A menu will pop up, allowing you to change your wallpaper.

I am no expert on lock screens, though. IIRC you can change them, but I never had a desire to so I don't know for sure.

I am using international Note 1 everyday. I am a heavy multitasker and I really don't think I more power than a good dualcore.

You can get one for about 400 if you want one in great shape. I got it new from a great 1 day sale on ebay.

If you are dead set on Note 2, setup deal alarm on a deal site (dealnews.com for example) Really you could have had it for cheap if you have taken advantage of the Black Friday sale and cancel the contract and pay for the cancellation fee.

S3 is ok, problem is both S3 and iPhone are over valued before they are discontinued. Keep in mind you can get a Huawei D2, Mate soon for around 500 and they should have pentaband.

The benefit of the pull down notification shade is that you can access all your notifications. It's one of the best things about Android. What kind of functionality are you looking for?

I'm actually looking for just that. A replacement for the pulldown drawer.

I'm using a WP8 launcher and the pulldown is disabled. I don't mind it being disabled as long as I had some kind of replacement. It does look far nicer.

tino

Banned
I'm actually looking for just that. A replacement for the pulldown drawer.

I'm using a WP8 launcher and the pulldown is disabled. I don't mind it being disabled as long as I had some kind of replacement. It does look far nicer.

I have GMD guesture control, I can access notification screen from anywhere with a customized gesture.

For example, I use 4 fingers pull down.

I also use "notification toggles" to put toggle switches on the notification screen.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nuance-unveils-swype-living-language-brings-crowd-sourcing-keyboard

http://beta.swype.com/

Nice update to Swype has gone live, If all they did was fix the issues with the dictionary from the previous version I will be happy.

and for those of you that just couldn't be bothered to sign up...

Download Swype Beta without Registering! You asked for it, you got it! No more registering and logging in on this website or within the Swype Beta Installer to download Swype Beta. (Please note that the removal of user accounts in Swype Beta is completely unrelated to your Personal Dictionary Backup & Sync user account.)

Coco's back again.

Why would you want a Windows Phone launcher on Android?

why not? some people also use Zune / Windows Phone style media players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom