• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
huaweimate.jpg

mmmhmmm

besiktas1

My dream phone.
6.1' 1080p screen
Massive battery
Expandable memory
Stock android
Tegra4 or Samsung equivalent
And call it the "Nexus Note".

Talon

I personally don't have any use for a device that big that I carry everywhere I go. But mainly I have to ask why does that look like iOS? The contacts icon looks exactly the same, and the similar folders, dock icons... What?
Chinese company?

Chinese company.

tino

Banned
My dream phone.
6.1' 1080p screen
Massive battery
Expandable memory
Stock android
Tegra4 or Samsung equivalent
And call it the "Nexus Note".

Make it physical buttons and wacom pen and external accessible sd card slot.

Actually just announce Note 3 now my body is ready.

bonesquad

Chinese company?

Chinese company.

I guess. Do they really think they will fool people into thinking it's an iPhone/iPad? Do they plan to sell it in the US and other places where Apple will certainly stop it? I still just don't get why companies 'customize' Android that much. Especially these days.

I said this in the Sony thread but Canada is getting the ZL

:D Barring HTC/S4 amazement, likely to be my next phone. Dimensions man. Dimensions.

I have a problem with my Nexus 7. I use Astro File Manager (I've tried others and this has the best interface) and there is a big discrepancy between what I see with it and what I see on my desktop. It's like the desktop lags behind the tablet so I can't copy some files because it's like they are missing - some I have moved and others should be there. How can I sync them better? Google Drive could work for a small number of files.

3phemeral

Hello, I'm new to GAF.

What's a good ROM for the GNex?

Really depends on your needs. Is your bootloader unlocked and are you already rooted? These need to be done first if you want to try out a new ROM. Are you Toro (verizon), Toroplus (sprint), or takju/yakju?

If you want 4.2 and are on 4.1, Cyanogen mod has a quick-and-easy way to convert your 4.1 sdcard storage to 4.2 without issue. I would recommend first doing a 4.1->4.2 flash if you're on stock first before trying any 4.2 roms (saves the trouble of any possible data loss some people are experiencing when flashing a non-CM rom when upgrading from 4.1's storage system to 4.2's).

Once there, I would recommend getting Goo manager from the Play Store, going into its settings and allow it to flash a recovery script (TWRP). After this, you can download whatever ROM you like. I'd recommend either CM10.1 or the latest AOKP MR1 that just came out on the 3rd (love the navbar widget activation so far). I loved MIUI for a while too, but that's stuck on 4.1 for now.

Make sure before installing, you've backed up your apps with something like Titanium Backup or Data Sync. Also download whatever Gapps is appropriate for you phone. Goo manager will allow you to do this also. If you're using an ics ROM, download the latest ICS gapps, if JB, then JB Gapps.

Reboot into recovery and do a factory reset, wipe cache, Dalvik cache, and system (but never internal storage, otherwise you lose all your pictures, etc). Then install (if you downloaded from Goo Manager, your gapps/rom will be located in the Goo manager folder. If not, then it should be in your "Downloads" folder). Also flash gapps too then reboot into system.

Enjoy your rom :)

So I got my SIII today, and wow, it's awesome. The funny thing is that, even though I was talking before about the Note and how much I like big screens, the SIII itself is almost too big. I can't easily use it with one hand since my thumb won't stretch very far.

I didn't know what ROM to put, so I just ended up with Cyanogen 10.1 (based on Jellybean 4.2) but I highly prefer the Samsung camera app over the Jellybean 2 one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I got my SIII today, and wow, it's awesome. The funny thing is that, even though I was talking before about the Note and how much I like big screens, the SIII itself is almost too big. I can't easily use it with one hand since my thumb won't stretch very far.

I didn't know what ROM to put, so I just ended up with Cyanogen 10.1 (based on Jellybean 4.2) but I highly prefer the Samsung camera app over the Jellybean 2 one.

Camera seems to be the one thing everyone agrees they like on the skinned ROMs better than stock. Not that stock is bad camera wise now anyways.

You'll get use to the size though and start thinking everyone else's 4.3" phone or less is small. Things like the iPhone 4/4S will seem frick'n TINY. LOL

MNC

Im giving up dolphin browser beta. Button clicks dont register half the time, and it keeps downloading images outside of wifi, costing me data. I use mini normally, but that has a broken pinch to zoom on my s3...

Any good alternatives? Stock jelly bean browser would be nice... chrome?

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Im giving up dolphin browser beta. Button clicks dont register half the time, and it keeps downloading images outside of wifi, costing me data. I use mini normally, but that has a broken pinch to zoom on my s3...

Any good alternatives? Stock jelly bean browser would be nice... chrome?

Toms Hardware did a browser review run down in November last year. Whilst Dolphin won in their benchmarks, they do highlight other browser options.

I haven't used them but Maxthon and Sleipnir appeared to perform pretty well in the benchmarks. I don't know about their day to day usability however.

Angst

Skyn...google is everywhere.

really looking forward to getting a notification about my toast being ready. If Google uses the data from my fridge for Google Now people will start wearing tinfoil hats when they get Now cards about eating healthier and exercising more.

Nicktendo86

Does anyone running AOKP 4.2.1 have different touch/type/low battery sounds? I had to go back to CM as I sound them really annoying but I've googled it and cannot see any mention about this.

really looking forward to getting a notification about my toast being ready. If Google uses the data from my fridge for Google Now people will start wearing tinfoil hats when they get Now cards about eating healthier and exercising more.

I welcome our new overlord. I'd like Google Cards for my toilet so I get automated stool samples.

MNC

Vanillalite

I feel so stupid. I thought Dolphin Browser Beta was the main Dolphin Browser. Hopefully this one does work... I need my Image on Wifi Only.

Make sure you install jetpack to go along with the stable version of the browser.

Speaking of browsers FF18 is suppose to hit today or tomorrow with a totally revamped javascript engine. Might have to reinstall on Android to see if it's any better than it is currently.

Vanillalite

So qualcom showed off their next line up of mobile chipsets the 200, 400, 600, and 800.

The 600 is basically a better S4 Pro. The 800 is the new 28nm process with clock speeds up to 2.3 ghz and an adreno 330 gpu. The 600 still uses the 320.

I know the new chips are suppose to be better with power consumption, but I still worry with such high clock speeds. Also worry about heat.

gcubed

So qualcom showed off their next line up of mobile chipsets the 200, 400, 600, and 800.

The 600 is basically a better S4 Pro. The 800 is the new 28nm process with clock speeds up to 2.3 ghz and an adreno 330 gpu. The 600 still uses the 320.

I know the new chips are suppose to be better with power consumption, but I still worry with such high clock speeds. Also worry about heat.

intel will save us all

Pctx

Banned
intel will save us all

hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaah

*takes a breath....*
hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaah

I hope you were being sarcastic cubed.

gcubed

hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaah

*takes a breath....*
hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaah

I hope you were being sarcastic cubed.

mostly sarcastic.

gcubed

Say what you want about intel, but the smoothest and best running version of android I've tried has been on an intel chip from 2009.

Decided to check just now and it seems the x86 android project uploaded their first JB image this week. Gonna give it shot tonight.

http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/detail?name=android-x86-4.2-20121225.iso&can=2&q=

i think they are still about 12-16 months behind though. Although i expect them to make a huge play near end of next year when they can take advantage of their fab tech.

kehs

Banned
i think they are still about 12-16 months behind though. Although i expect them to make a huge play near end of next year when they can take advantage of their fab tech.

Shame they're taking so long =/.

Unrelated, I feel bad for Kevin, on the google tv g+ team. Anytime they post about a new app/product/etc everyone (including me lol) bombards the page complaining over gtv.

"Coming soon, Stay Tuned" are always his responses.

gcubed

Shame they're taking so long =/.

Unrelated, I feel bad for Kevin, on the google tv g+ team. Anytime they post about a new app/product/etc everyone (including me lol) bombards the page complaining over gtv.

"Coming soon, Stay Tuned" are always his responses.

ha, i always usually post the same tired response about a nexus GTV. The list of things they need to support gets longer every few months when they don't do a damn thing to advance the platform.

Pctx

Banned
Say what you want about intel, but the smoothest and best running version of android I've tried has been on an intel chip from 2009.

Decided to check just now and it seems the x86 android project uploaded their first JB image this week. Gonna give it shot tonight.

http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/detail?name=android-x86-4.2-20121225.iso&can=2&q=
Intel missed the boat and now they're trying to land a helicopter on a speedboat.

I've got a lot of buddies that work out at Jones Farm here in Hillsboro and I give them so much crap about LTTP they are with their x86 offerings of Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom