• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

I just want voice control on my oven. And a Google now card to tell me when my meat'll be done.

I would totally buy a phone connected meat thermometer probe. My oven can already turn itself off at a certain internal meat temperature. Fuck now I want an Android oven. With an Alton Brown style camera direct feed.

Cipherr

So I starred an Android project request some weeks back, and I THINK this update I just got e-mailed is from someone working on the OS stating that they will be implementing it sometimes soon:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=41135
Stock Android -- connect to a protected WiFi setup through NFC

Currently a 3rd party app is required, but it would be a desirable feature for stock Android to support connecting to a protected WiFi automatically through NFC.

Use-model: Someone comes over your house. You don't want to give out your WiFi password, but want to give them the ability to connect to your network. They tap an NFC tag and (without downloading any other applications) are instantly connected to your network.

This would work similarly at stores, airports, and other locations, and likely help spread acceptance of the standard due to its convenience.

Thats the ticket/issue that was opened, then there is a recent response:

Comment 6 by project member m...@android.com, Today (2 hours ago)

Yep this is definitely on the wish-list. We are waiting for standardization docs to be finished (so this interoperates properly with all devices), but it shouldn't be too long now.

That comment looks to be by someone on the Android team. I cannot tell for sure; but I hope it is. This would be a great addition.

Intel missed the boat and now they're trying to land a helicopter on a speedboat.

I've got a lot of buddies that work out at Jones Farm here in Hillsboro and I give them so much crap about LTTP they are with their x86 offerings of Android.

They are not out of the game yet, but by gosh I kind of hope they never become the dominant supplier no matter how good their chips are. They will strangle everyone else out of the market and command higher prices.

On another note the new Qualcomm Krait 800 chips are far beyond what I was expecting, really excited to see what they can do. I expect a refresh next year with a big.little implementation.

kehs

Banned
So I starred an Android project request some weeks back, and I THINK this update I just got e-mailed is from someone working on the OS stating that they will be implementing it sometimes soon:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=41135

Thats the ticket/issue that was opened, then there is a recent response:

That comment looks to be by someone on the Android team. I cannot tell for sure; but I hope it is. This would be a great addition.

Pretty cool.

Standards will be probably be finalized after iTouch NFC is finalized and lawsuits filed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Mozilla Blog

3 Sneak Peeks for Firefox for Android in 2013

PS: YT Video showing Tegra 4 pushing a 4k video.

For those that say big deal that's 3840 x 2160 aka 8,294,400 pixels. 720p phones don't even push 1 mill.

So qualcom showed off their next line up of mobile chipsets the 200, 400, 600, and 800.

The 600 is basically a better S4 Pro. The 800 is the new 28nm process with clock speeds up to 2.3 ghz and an adreno 330 gpu. The 600 still uses the 320.

I know the new chips are suppose to be better with power consumption, but I still worry with such high clock speeds. Also worry about heat.

smaller process means less power and heat.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaah

*takes a breath....*
hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaah

I hope you were being sarcastic cubed.

be very worried, Intel has the performance on lock and the battery life isn't bad either.

Intel missed the boat and now they're trying to land a helicopter on a speedboat.

I've got a lot of buddies that work out at Jones Farm here in Hillsboro and I give them so much crap about LTTP they are with their x86 offerings of Android.
the problem is Intel has some awesome transport choppers already, so if they strip them enough, they could realistically get to build an attack chopper that can land on it. maybe even sink it... oh wait, that's not a problem, it's competition.

Mozilla Blog

3 Sneak Peeks for Firefox for Android in 2013

PS: YT Video showing Tegra 4 pushing a 4k video.

For those that say big deal that's 3840 x 2160 aka 8,294,400 pixels. 720p phones don't even push 1 mill.

yeah, its 4x the pixels of 1080p. still, not really that impressive, its just video decoding.

Vanillalite

smaller process means less power and heat.

True, but they also are upping the clock speed quite a bit from what the current processors run at. Plus the GPU increase could bring extra heat/power usage as well despite die shrink.

yeah, its 4x the pixels of 1080p. still, not really that impressive, its just video decoding.

Fuck devices just a year or two ago had issues just playing 1080p.

On a side note supposedly T-Mobile is getting ready to release an LTE variant of the Galaxy SIII. T-Mo finally going LTE in Q1? Maybe?!?!

Vanillalite

BTW awesome conversion thing I just found on XDA...

XDA

Android 4.2 Mod Package

Hello everyone today i will give you the android 4.2 Mod package!

Tested on CM10 and AOSP Jelly bean 4.1/4.1.2

thanks everyone over the 100,000+ downloads

This is not for CM9 or anything running lower than android 4.1

Fueteres:

- New clock
- New Gmail
- New Music app
- New Launcher
- New 4.2 keyboard
- New 4.2 Camera
- 4.2 Sounds
- 4.2 Bootanimation
- 4.2 Fonts

So for everyone running CM10 or AOKP 4.1 that doesn't have access to a 4.2 ROM yet this is an awesome tool!!!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Lenovo K900:

lenovo-k900-2013-01-08-1.jpg

lenovo-k900-2013-01-08.jpg
lendsc05196-1357698366.jpg

Intel Clover Trail+ phone, boasts 5.5-inch 1080p screen and 13MP cam

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/lenovo-k900-intel-clover-trail/

Damn I just saw this linked on Daring Fireball. Pretty much sums up why Samsung = Android.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/29/the-cost-of-selling-galaxies/

I'll just quote what Gruber said if you want a summary:

Worth a re-link, regarding yesterday’s item pondering why Samsung has become the only successful (i.e. profitable) maker of Android handsets: they spend an astonishing amount of money on advertising and marketing. How much? At least 10 times more than Apple — and more than Apple, Dell, HP, Microsoft, and Coca-Cola combined.

That's INSANE, but I've mentioned it before. Their marketing is everywhere....all the time.

Vanillalite

Finally got around to opening my new IEMs. About to head to bed and test them out with my phone and mess around with the Cyanogen DSP Manager! Going to try some native mp3s as well as some Spotify steaming with HQ Streaming turned on.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Damn I just saw this linked on Daring Fireball. Pretty much sums up why Samsung = Android.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/29/the-cost-of-selling-galaxies/

I'll just quote what Gruber said if you want a summary:

That's INSANE, but I've mentioned it before. Their marketing is everywhere....all the time.

You mean Samsung, the company that makes more than just phones? Of course they have a large marketing budget. They have their hands in so many pots. And all these pots are everywhere around the globe.

You can advertise all you want but if you have a garbage product, it will still bomb.

Don't get caught up in the Gruber bullshit.

Vanillalite

You mean Samsung, the company that makes more than just phones? Of course they have a large marketing budget. They have their hands in so many pots. And all these pots are everywhere around the globe.

You can advertise all you want but if you have a garbage product, it will still bomb.

To be fair it's not like Microsoft or HP or Apple or Sony etc... only makes phones. A lot of these companies do multiple things.

PS: Listening to Toro Y Moi using my new Fischer Audio Consonance IEMs combined with Cyanogen Mod's DPS Manager on my Android phone = EARGASMIC!

Say what you want about intel, but the smoothest and best running version of android I've tried has been on an intel chip from 2009.

Decided to check just now and it seems the x86 android project uploaded their first JB image this week. Gonna give it shot tonight.

http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/detail?name=android-x86-4.2-20121225.iso&can=2&q=

Out of curiosity I followed the instructions to prepare an Android Live USB and booted Android for x86 in a VM. Well, it boots. There's no included launcher though, so it gets to the root console and then that's it. And then there's an Android file system and you can look around in the directory structure. This is the least interesting thing I have ever seen, I mean okay woohoo I'm running Android on my x86 laptop. Be still, my beating heart.

Talon

They spent more advertising dollars than Coca-Cola...whose only active expenditure is effectively advertising dollars.

Gruber's Gruber but Dediu doesn't have any axes to grind.

there's no bullshit, combine ALL those companies, who all do tons of different shit separately, COMBINE THEM, and Samsung still spends MORE. It's astounding.

And what is Gruber's bullshit here? He's simply remarking at how much it is. He isn't making any point whatsoever other than the fact that this is probably the reason Samsung dominates Android. OG article isn't even his.

there's no bullshit, combine ALL those companies, who all do tons of different shit separately, COMBINE THEM, and Samsung still spends MORE. It's astounding.

And what is Gruber's bullshit here? He's simply remarking at how much it is. He isn't making any point whatsoever other than the fact that this is probably the reason Samsung dominates Android. OG article isn't even his.

Samsung is smart. They built a good brand in the Galaxy series of phones, has it available on EVERY carrier, pre or post paid, and hit different price points, and different segments (newbie, techie, business).

That's part of marketing and something no one else does. iPhone is close, but they only have 1 new phone a year right now.

Kiraly

Shame that Lenovo K900 has a 5.5 screen. The processor is very interesting.

It got a score of 31,000 on AnTuTu, no phone comes even near.

Hope to see more phones with that Clover Trail+ at MWC.

Blackhead

Redarse
They spent more advertising dollars than Coca-Cola...whose only active expenditure is effectively advertising dollars.

Gruber's Gruber but Dediu doesn't have any axes to grind.

haha:

ZeroGravitas said:
Is it only me that think's this guy's a nutter that gets by by saying whatever Apple fans want to hear? Here's some of his startlingly wrong predictions about the smartphone market from last year:

http://www.asymco.com/2010/11/03/what-do-you-have-to-believe...

His key arguments where that:

* Android wouldn't grow faster than the average of RIM, Nokia, HP and Apple.

* Nokia wouldn't dump Symbian&Meego for someone else's OS.

* Android wouldn't do a great deal better than Windows Mobile

* Android vendors wouldn't be profitable

So not very good really, in fact a total blowout. Maybe he knows stuff about Apple, to be honest I think he's just like a sports fan during a season when his team is playing well. His elaborate theories of why they are succeeding don't seem to mesh with reality much, except in that Apple is doing very well, and I'm not sure he cares if they do or not.

Edit: Don't think this was mentioned yet — 97 Titanium HD by ARCHOS
O-1-dual-cameras.jpg

The ARCHOS 97 Titanium HD features a 9.7 inch super HD (2048 x 1536 pixel) screen so your Android experience will never look better.
Still can't find word on a release date or price though...

Talon

Guy's been pretty candid when he's been wrong with his predictions. Let's not conflate analysis with predictions. I give him credit for spending two hours explaining why his prediction was wrong and what he didn't expect - namely, Verizon pushing the Droid and carriers in general pushing Adroid as a viable alternative in order to curb Apple's burgeoning hegemon.

The reason he focuses on Samsung is because they and Apple are disproportionately eating up profits in mobile worldwide, while HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, Nokia et al scrape along.

Also, ARCHOS is still around? Does iRiver still make stuff?

jokkir

BTW awesome conversion thing I just found on XDA...

XDA

Android 4.2 Mod Package

Hello everyone today i will give you the android 4.2 Mod package!

Tested on CM10 and AOSP Jelly bean 4.1/4.1.2

thanks everyone over the 100,000+ downloads

This is not for CM9 or anything running lower than android 4.1

Fueteres:

- New clock
- New Gmail
- New Music app
- New Launcher
- New 4.2 keyboard
- New 4.2 Camera
- 4.2 Sounds
- 4.2 Bootanimation
- 4.2 Fonts

So for everyone running CM10 or AOKP 4.1 that doesn't have access to a 4.2 ROM yet this is an awesome tool!!!

Nice. I'll try it on my CM10 rom but first gotta backup...

kehs

Banned
Out of curiosity I followed the instructions to prepare an Android Live USB and booted Android for x86 in a VM. Well, it boots. There's no included launcher though, so it gets to the root console and then that's it. And then there's an Android file system and you can look around in the directory structure. This is the least interesting thing I have ever seen, I mean okay woohoo I'm running Android on my x86 laptop. Be still, my beating heart.

I haven't tested out the JB image, but it sounds like you only got to the installer.

The previous images are definitely full fledged android installs. I've used the HC images on eepc and posted pictures here a while back.

Ah, in my quick research since posting my question, I found out those carriers are called MVNOs, or Mobile Virtual Network Operators.

There are very few LTE ones right now, and the only Verizon LTE one seems to be talkforgood.com. They just soft launched a couple of months ago, though, and they don't have any worthwhile data options yet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That's a meaningless point. Coke's advertising budget could be $100 or $100 million. Both could be their only active expenditure.

And what is Gruber's bullshit here? He's simply remarking at how much it is. He isn't making any point whatsoever other than the fact that this is probably the reason Samsung dominates Android.

That's the bullshit. Samsung's done a lot. If you advertise garbage, it'll tank.

That's a meaningless point. Coke's advertising budget could be $100 or $100 million. Both could be their only active expenditure.

That's the bullshit. Samsung's done a lot. If you advertise garbage, it'll tank.
so you think he's dismissing that the galaxy s3 is a good phone? You're reaching if you think that. Everyone knows you need a good product to back up the marketing. HTC has good products, Sony has good products, other manufacturers have good products but none of them have escalated to the level samsung has. And all anyone is saying is this is probably the biggest reason why. Marketing and perception are more than half the battle.

buhdeh

I know the ZL is technically about the same size as the S3 but the squared corners will probably make it feel bigger. Still crazy that it's even that close in the first place though.

tino

Banned
Anything Samsung can do, there are at least 3 Chinese companies that can do it exactly the same thing one year later.

Samsung just happen to make more money. Why do you care if Samsung make more money. Samsung doesn't control android and can not decide where android is going.

As a consumer, I really don't care which company has higher profile.

I know the ZL is technically about the same size as the S3 but the squared corners will probably make it feel bigger. Still crazy that it's even that close in the first place though.
I hope samsung does a similar thing. Get rid of that home button, use on screen buttons, reduce bezzles, high quality materials, nice battery = I promise I will buy it.

Do it for me samsung. Instead it will basically be slightly smaller than the note 2 or something, lol.

Anything Samsung can do, there are at least 3 Chinese companies that can do it exactly the same thing one year later.

Samsung just happen to make more money. Why do you care if Samsung make more money. Samsung doesn't control android and can not decide where android is going.

As a consumer, I really don't care which company has higher profile.
it's a problem because I don't want there to be a future where Samsung is the only major manufacturer for android. Not that hard to see. HTC is slowly losing their profits. I hope they turn it around. But man when you see numbers and stats like that it shows you what they are up against. Sony is doing well everywhere but the US, but once again, they have to contend with this kind of advertising. It's tough on everybody. I want everyone to be successful.

tino

Banned
I hope samsung does a similar thing. Get rid of that home button, use on screen buttons, reduce bezzles, high quality materials, nice battery = I promise I will buy it.

Do it for me samsung. Instead it will basically be slightly smaller than the note 2 or something, lol.

it's a problem because I don't want there to be a future where Samsung is the only major manufacturer for android. Not that hard to see. HTC is slowly losing their profits. I hope they turn it around. But man when you see numbers and stats like that it shows you what they are up against. Sony is doing well everywhere but the US, but once again, they have to contend with this kind of advertising. It's tough on everybody. I want everyone to be successful.

HTC is just packaging/design company. The future of Android is tending forward the company that control the component production. There is no software entry cost for making android products. Companies that doesn't own major component production (HTC and Nokia, and for some degree Sony) will eventually lose most of the profit to the companies that make SOC, screen and assembling.

Its inevitable that HTC and Nokia will lost most of their market share. 5 years from now Foxconn will be Android phones. Samsung is only at the top because for the moment they make popular screens. And they can undercut the competition because they are from a State Capitalism country where they get substantial subsidy for their exports. All these factors are not substantable in the long run. Its very easy for Samsung to lose the top position.

However HTC will never come back to fight for the top position with Samsung so hoping for these old guards to keep the balance of power in the android world is futile.

Bboy AJ

so you think he's dismissing that the galaxy s3 is a good phone? You're reaching if you think that. Everyone knows you need a good product to back up the marketing. HTC has good products, Sony has good products, other manufacturers have good products but none of them have escalated to the level samsung has. And all anyone is saying is this is probably the biggest reason why. Marketing and perception are more than half the battle.

HTC certainly didn't release good products until recently. Sony released old hardware too late. Samsung did what it needed to do to build a brand and gain clout, like bend to the carriers' whims with the S models. Things could change but that race was wide open and the only company that took advantage was Samsung. So no, it doesn't have everything to do with the marketing.

Talon

Coke annually spends between $2.5 billion-2.9 billion annually on advertising. It's effectively unchanging, so it's not exactly a floating point comparison.
The only point is that the active differentiators between Samsung and, say, HTC is not the product itself. Is there really that wide of a gap between the One X and the S III? Not by a longshot.

I think all Dediu is really saying is that Samsung benefits from (a) being considerably vertically integrated (b) experience as a manufacturer and benefiting from the ASUS/Dell effect* and (c) they're spending the dollars to boost the brand.

Within Korea, there historically isn't much differentiation between the chaebols in terms of quality. There's Hyundai, LG, and Samsung (there was Daewoo, but Samsung bought them out back in the early 2000s). And, yes, I am Korean if you're wondering.

All of those brands were seen as cheap, budget brands outside of the country. Daewoo televisions were effectively Haiers. Hyundai doesn't really apply here because it's not a consumer product company outside of the automobile group (they're more of a heavy industries group - buildings, ships, steel). LG and Samsung made forays in the early 2000s outside their shores - Samsung buying Chelsea shirt rights, LG doing the same in Germany being some of the more obvious examples.

Samsung in the past, I'd say, three years has made a big jump from a budget consumer products brand to equal Sony's punching weight globally (partially due to Sony's decline in the last decade). Obviously a big part of that is product improvements - although they still need to work out the flaky reputation of Samsung's product support, particularly television panels burning out after two years.

The S III is very much improved on the S II, although I wish they'd take a step away from the glossy plastic at some point. Honestly, I think it's fair to say that the immense capital they've spent on branding and advertising itself has paid off for the company in spades. Marketing and framing matters. Do people know HTC itself as a brand? Not the way they know Samsung and Apple.

Samsung went from having 30+ different phones with ridiculous names that they and the carriers all pushed just a few years ago to having a clear and coherent flagship device with the Galaxy S III - HTC and Motorola are doing a better job in regards to this with the One and RAZR lines, of course. They still have these lesser phones (the S III mini, the S II Skyrocket, etc.), but they don't waste their breath pushing those.
HTC certainly didn't release good products until recently. Sony released old hardware too late. Samsung did what it needed to do to build a brand and gain clout. Things could change but that race was wide open and the only company that took advantage was Samsung. So no, it doesn't have everything to do with the marketing.
Nobody's saying that it's all the marketing. Just like you're not saying it's all the product. You take a straw poll of phone nerds, and they love the One X. It's the most loved phone that nobody owns!

Marketing and ad spend is a major piece of the puzzle.

HTC certainly didn't release good products until recently. Sony released old hardware too late. Samsung did what it needed to do to build a brand and gain clout, like bend to the carriers' whims with the S models. Things could change but that race was wide open and the only company that took advantage was Samsung. So no, it doesn't have everything to do with the marketing.
you're downplaying marketing way too much. It's a MAJOR part of it. Same goes for all the dominant companies, profit wise.

It's a genuine concern. You can ignore HTC and Sony and whoever else currently making phones. It also discourages new manufacturers from stepping in. Samsung has a stronghold on the android phone game and it's pretty nuts. That's the only point anyone is making here. The marketing dollars just emphasizes it.

Also I can vividly recall that when HTC was making a lot more money from Android, I saw their commercials a lot more often, and ads in stores, and so on. Now I can honestly say I don't see shit (though I'm flooded with Samsung ads!). They say marketing is the reason why they can't gain ground back, and they'll try to change that with 2013, but looking at the money Samsung spends....I'm sorry HTC....it won't be long now. And it suxxx.

Bboy AJ

Good post, Talon. I agree with a lot of it, especially the vertical integration.

Let's phrase the discussion like this: If HTC spent as much on marketing stuff like the Sensation and all that, would they be where Samsung is today? I don't think so. Their phones, before the One X and after the Nexus One era, were bland, boring, and uninspired. You just couldn't get excited for them. Not only that, but Samsung runs a much tighter ship. They seem to take more risks. Look at the Note. Many thought that phone would be DOA.

Talon

Good post, Talon. I agree with a lot of it, especially the vertical integration.

Let's phrase the discussion like this: If HTC spent as much on marketing stuff like the Sensation and all that, would they be where Samsung is today? I don't think so. Their phones, before the One X and after the Nexus One era, were bland, boring, and uninspired. You just couldn't get excited for them. Not only that, but Samsung runs a much tighter ship. They seem to take more risks. Look at the Note. Many thought that phone would be DOA.
No, I don't think so, at least in regards to the US market. The Galaxy S III is the only device other than the iPhone to be released simultaneously on the four carriers without major headache. They have the clout that HTC just doesn't have - check out that hideous AT&T logo on the XL (although I guess the Verizon on the Note II is effectively the same thing).

Now, I do think that the HTC One X line from last year has to be considered a failure. That device should have been on Verizon - not that EVO nonsense with the shit screen, and they should have pushed the hell out of it.

The question I think Dediu would like to pose is: Would Samsung be eating every other Android manufacturer's lunch if they weren't spending those dollars? And I would say, no. I think it'd be a considerably flatter, perhaps more fragmented field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom