• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocho

I agree that Samsung's sole massive marketing isn't the only reason of their success, but no one can't say it isn't a big part.

I experienced this case in point a week ago when a friend wanted an android phone, but wasn't willing to go other than Samsung (because of all the advertising everywhere - also an ex iphone user that saw Samsung's tongue in cheek commercials). He now owns an S3.

tino

Banned
I agree that Samsung's sole massive marketing isn't the only reason of their success, but no one can't say it isn't a big part.

I experienced this case in point a week ago when a friend wanted an android phone, but wasn't willing to go other than Samsung (because of all the advertising everywhere - also an ex iphone user that saw Samsung's tong in cheek commercials). He now owns an S3.

I tried to buy a Moto Razr MAXX for my wife (the used ones are pretty cheap). And my wife insist Galaxy S2 is much better looking. What the hell.

Thankfully I have put her iPhone 3GS on ebay so I can at least get her on Android. Not that I don't like iOS I just don't want to deal with the jailbreak stuff anymore.

darkwing

I tried to buy a Moto Razr MAXX for my wife (the used ones are pretty cheap). And my wife insist Galaxy S2 is much better looking. What the hell.

Thankfully I have put her iPhone 3GS on ebay so I can at least get her on Android. Not that I don't like iOS I just don't want to deal with the jailbreak stuff anymore.

well the S2 has 4.1.2 JB update

Cipherr

I wonder why they aren't showing the S4 yet.

Because it wont be out during this entire quarter, so they need their Note 2's and S3's to continue to be the only phones with buzz. Towards the tail end of Q1 they will probably start talking about it, with a launch in Q2.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Didn't knew that tweets on FalconPro were cached for offline usage. That's pretty neat.

Yoshiya

The question I think Dediu would like to pose is: Would Samsung be eating every other Android manufacturer's lunch if they weren't spending those dollars? And I would say, no. I think it'd be a considerably flatter, perhaps more fragmented field.

The Asymco analysis of Samsung has been really interesting lately. The shift in emphasis from design/technical superiority to having the best integrated business is certainly notable - what's the next technical shift in phones going to be if the spec arms race can't sustain Android generations anymore? The narrative that Samsung was set up for success by being Apple's most important component supplier is certainly compelling - especially given the pace they went from nothing to eating up the Android market whole.

It'll be interesting if Intel achieves real technical superiority when they finally have the next Atom architecture hit the market, with 22nm fabrication. ARM has seemingly been caught out with the A15, a core never really meant for phones. There's Qualcomm, and Apple has its own alternative, but the field seems more open that ever for a significant Intel incursion.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So uhhhhh Samsung Introduced a new Galaxy S2.... called the Plus... why I do not know...

If they want a smaller lower end phone just push that GS3 Mini.

So, there's a new varient of the Galaxy S2 which looks pretty much the same but with Jellybean.

Then there's the S3 Mini.

And then the Galaxy S4?

I don't even.

darkwing

So, there's a new varient of the Galaxy S2 which looks pretty much the same but with Jellybean.

Then there's the S3 Mini.

And then the Galaxy S4?

I don't even.

they are not the number 1 phone manufacturer for nothing, having different products for different markets/price point is brilliant

kehs

Banned
Archos snuck into the Apple division of foxconn and made some android ipads.

dsc_0066_copy.jpg

dsc_0058_copy.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/archos-97-platinum-and-80-platinum-hands

Archos giving zero fucks.

i'm still not feeling the 4:3 screen size...

so... what's so PLUS about the Galaxy S II Plus? the specs seem the same except it has a SMALLER 8GB NAND vs the 16GB NAND on the original GS2...

and did anyone read about the GS2 Jellybean firmware update and how it's completely optional (Kies only) and can take upwards of an hour to complete as it re-partitions the System partition to be 1GB larger (and consequently shrinks the user partition from 12GB to 11GB) and hey, this whole NAND Re-partitioning issue is also the reason why many devices did not get a Gingerbread -> ICS update.

kehs

Banned
Archos giving zero fucks.

i'm still not feeling the 4:3 screen size...

so... what's so PLUS about the Galaxy S II Plus? the specs seem the same except it has a SMALLER 8GB NAND vs the 16GB NAND on the original GS2...

and did anyone read about the GS2 Jellybean firmware update and how it's completely optional (Kies only) and can take upwards of an hour to complete as it re-partitions the System partition to be 1GB larger (and consequently shrinks the user partition from 12GB to 11GB) and hey, this whole NAND Re-partitioning issue is also the reason why many devices did not get a Gingerbread -> ICS update.

The Plus thing is like the GSII skyrocket. It's technically a "new" phone, so it's part of their "new" lineup to offer up to carriers. Then it can be pushed as a "new" mid range phone, instead of them just selling people and "old" high range phone for cheaper.

Money shuffle.

Google didn't repartition the Nexus S from GB to ICS. They just said fuck you, deal with your shitty partitions.

MisterC20XX

I bought a MINIX Neo X5 mini computer/media box, scheduled to arrive on Monday. Has anyone else used one of these or its predecessor the X4? It looks like it's going to be a fun system to mess around with. Here are the specs:

Processor: ARM Cortex A9 Dual Core Processor at 1.6 Ghz
GPU: Quad Core Mali 400 Graphics Processor with 1080P. Flash and other video hardware decoder built-in. (Open GL ES2.0/1.1, Open VG1.1, Flash 11.1)
Memory: 1GB memory
Internal Storage: 16GB SSD
Wireless Connectivity: WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth
Video Output: HDMI 1.4a
RJ45 100Mbit LAN Port (can be used as a router with WiFi)
Audio in and out jacks
SD/MMC Card Reader (SD 3.0, MMC V4.41)
IR Receiver
3 x USB 2.0 port
DC 5V 3A in with AC Adapter or power through USB cable

More details here: http://www.minix.us/products/NEO-X5.html

tino

Banned
Guys guys guys, what's the smallest android "thing" I can buy to run Google Music and Podcast app?

Is Xperia Mini really smallest Android phone? I was hoping someone has made a phone smaller than Veer by now.

kinggroin

Banned
Guys guys guys, what's the smallest android "thing" I can buy to run Google Music and Podcast app?

Is Xperia Mini really smallest Android phone? I was hoping someone has made a phone smaller than Veer by now.

Like something you'll carry with you that has a display? Or just small in general?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Archos snuck into the Apple division of foxconn and made some android ipads.

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w550h500/postimages/261376/dsc_0066_copy.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w550h500/postimages/261376/dsc_0058_copy.jpg[/IG]

[url]http://www.androidcentral.com/archos-97-platinum-and-80-platinum-hands[/url][/QUOTE]

YES. More 4:3 Android tablets, please. Won't be switching from my iPad until Google makes a Nexus tablet that recognizes the superior tablet display ratio. Just give me a high res iPad mini with Android on it.

It's funny how Palm thought there was a market for something like the Veer, when the rest of the world was already targeting 4.5"+.

YES. More 4:3 Android tablets, please. Won't be switching from my iPad until Google makes a Nexus tablet that recognizes the superior tablet display ratio. Just give me a high res iPad mini with Android on it.

Same reason I refuse to buy any other tablet than the iPad.

gcubed

I really hope Moto releases an unlocked gsm phone to the US. I want a motorola phone, but I'm not sure why.

they need to tone down some of the sharp edges as well, but they have superior radios and are the only ones willing to put real batteries in their phone. If I could get an unlocked M HD with those specs? I just hope they'd do something like that for the next Nexus.

god no, the mini takes what made a 7" tablet so nice and shat on it with a stamped apple logo

gcubed

I didn't know a terrible browsing experience was what made a 7" tablet so nice.

portability made a 7" tablet so nice.

I've owned both kinds of tablets in a 10" variety, and only a 16:9(or is it 10) 7" variety. I still don't understand the argument of a terrible browsing experience. A 10" 4:3 tablet is infinitely easier to hold.

kehs

Banned
They just gotta put a 4:3 edgeless screen in the body of an n7. (hell, may be edgless top and bottom too)

The screen would be about the same height as the n7 is now.

buhdeh

Just wanted to say that I really don't think SwiftKey is all that good and I've gone to using the 4.2 keyboard now. I don't understand why SwiftKey doesn't recognize/autocorrect names and apostrophes. Every time I type something like Brian's or Brians, it gets autocorrected to Brian. So stupid. And the corrections just got worse the more I used it.

i'm not sure why i was excited for CES...

to me the best news was that T-Mo LTE is about to go live and that they are getting the iphone.

I wouldn't mind switching to them because i wouldn't mind subsidies going down the drain and plans being cheaper, plus at the current moment they still have truly unlimited data.

this nvidia thing is worthless, though if it could actually play steam games over their grid servers that would be cool, didn't do enough reading to know for sure if that was how it worked...

wonder if MWC will be good this year, or if it will just make the wait for the GS4 longer, ha.

Cipherr

to me the best news was that T-Mo LTE is about to go live and that they are getting the iphone.

I wouldn't mind switching to them because i wouldn't mind subsidies going down the drain and plans being cheaper, plus at the current moment they still have truly unlimited data.

this nvidia thing is worthless, though if it could actually play steam games over their grid servers that would be cool, didn't do enough reading to know for sure if that was how it worked...

wonder if MWC will be good this year, or if it will just make the wait for the GS4 longer, ha.

Whhaaa? You mean you didnt like the Oven that runs Android?

DqHNQl.jpg

Its running ICS too, in tablet mode. 7" display, 512MB RAM with 16GB storage and support for expandable storage, WiFi and all man.

No word on Cyanogen Mod support yet
TFZMQ.gif

gcubed

i agree that the best thing out of CES was T-mobile. I'm really excited by t-mobile lately. I thought they'd die off after the failed ATT merger, but with them getting Metro, this new no subsidy plan (don't worry Europe, we are only decades behind!) and their LTE roll out already starting I'm taking them a bit more seriously

RayStorm

Whhaaa? You mean you didnt like the Oven that runs Android?

I actually am excited about this. Or rather about the (future ?) possibilities this signifies. An oven that detects what I put in it and automatically activates the required heat/time, turns itself off once the food is baked/cooked and then proceeds to inform me, while I'm outside doing some gardening work or whatever else away from the oven?

That's like a dream scenario for me. Perhaps even with further integration in a fitness/nutrional guide kind ofprogram, shopping lists in concert with the fridge/storage space, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom