• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopliss

Whhaaa? You mean you didnt like the Oven that runs Android?

DqHNQl.jpg

Its running ICS too, in tablet mode. 7" display, 512MB RAM with 16GB storage and support for expandable storage, WiFi and all man.

No word on Cyanogen Mod support yet
TFZMQ.gif
The screen is at a great height for 3-6 year old children. Just stick Angry Birds on their, wait for it to grab their attention then run up behind them and shove them in.

I'm with you there. Those multicoloured edge lights are hella sweet.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Chrome Beta launched for those brave enough to try it, looks to be version 25.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chrome.beta

Chrome 25 on Android brings a slew of updates and improvements over our current Chrome 18 based stable channel, including better HTML5 support and JavaScript performance. That said, non-Stable channel releases can sometimes be bumpy, and our new Beta release is no exception. The following are some of the larger known issues in today’s release:

Performance is sluggish, noticeably on Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S
Frequent freeze on devices with specific versions of Qualcomm GPU driver
Text autosizing may break formatting on some sites
164632 - Editing bookmark feature is broken
165244 - Text position handler jumps or disappears when moving
163439 - Clicking on links in yahoo.com not navigating on Nexus 7
166233 - Unable to submit comments on Facebook posts in desktop version of Facebook
165244 - Text handler jumps or disappears when moving
167351 - Youtube video controls are lost after returning from fullscreen video mode
162486 - iframe scrolling broken

Does anyone make a non-widescreen Android tablet? I am thinking about buying a new full sized tablet, but don't want a widescreen tablet as i mostly read books, magazines, and pdf's and never watch movies on my current tablet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Someone didn't read the thread to see that was posted a few posts above.

PS: Installed it but it auto crashes everytime I try and run it.

Tried the beta on my N4, text magnification is all over the place, text appears to be rather blurry and some websites are just broken (FB rendered itself half off the screen). Think I'll let the beta go back for some more coding before trying again.

(Also, no mention of quick controls so insta-fail.)

they're gonna have Verizon software branding someday

the softkey background or notification will be Verizon skinned... watch and see

Whhaaa? You mean you didnt like the Oven that runs Android?

DqHNQl.jpg

Its running ICS too, in tablet mode. 7" display, 512MB RAM with 16GB storage and support for expandable storage, WiFi and all man.

No word on Cyanogen Mod support yet
TFZMQ.gif

i need a custom kernel so i can overclock the over to cook faster

163439 - Clicking on links in yahoo.com not navigating on Nexus 7
can't wait for the "Google blocks Yahoo" stories

Does anyone make a non-widescreen Android tablet? I am thinking about buying a new full sized tablet, but don't want a widescreen tablet as i mostly read books, magazines, and pdf's and never watch movies on my current tablet.
Archos

tino

Banned
After much taobao browsing, I have determined the 2 smallest portable android devices are:

Philip 3.2" GoGear media player
and
U9 S208 "The Turtle" 2.8" Veer rip-off Android phone.

78233074852941.jpg

3phemeral

So impressions on the chrome beta? Is it a lot better than the current mediocrity?

Well, I just downloaded it and gave it a quick stress test (popGaf gifs/Funny pics thread) and it didn't slow my phone down to a crawl like it normally does. Seems to render more quickly without the major lag and staggered scrolling.

[edit] Using a Galaxy Nexus running AOKP MR1

Well, I just downloaded it and gave it a quick stress test (popGaf gifs/Funny pics thread) and it didn't slow my phone down to a crawl like it normally does. Seems to render more quickly without the major lag and staggered scrolling.
that's interesting. Would be helpful if you all posted what devices you were using. Seems like a lot of very differing opinions (not just here).

methodman

Banned
Got an s3. Was looking to be way more organized overall but have never used Google calendar or a task program. What would you guys recommend? A to do app or something of the like just so I can stay up to date with everything.

Got an s3. Was looking to be way more organized overall but have never used Google calendar or a task program. What would you guys recommend? A to do app or something of the like just so I can stay up to date with everything.

there are quite a few of those type of app, Astrid, Any.Do, Tasks for ICS, NoNonsense Notes, to name a few.

you should also check out the OP in the Apps for Android thread, it has several Playboard lists of interesting and useful apps

gcubed

God, I'm not stuck on android because of apps I bought or devices, I couldn't function without full featured Google calendar

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
dat cheap plug

My Samsung plug broke the first time I used it today

I had to go back to a HTC plug

I'm mad.

kehs

Banned
Guys guys, chrome beta is out!

I installed it and then un installed it cause I don't feel like signing back into all the sites I visit(gaf).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Chrome Beta is out. I just installed it. Let's see how it runs so I can tell you just how crappy it still is.

Threi

notag
Touch detection is all out of whack with the beta... even when there are no other links anywhere near where i touch, it's still bringing up the zoom bubble.

So which browser are you guys using? I've been using stock and was wondering if there was anything better.

I'm using Dolphin. The scrolling is smooth and fast and I like the UI. Swiping from the side to quickly access your bookmarks makes this my favorite browser.

Doopliss

I'm using Dolphin. The scrolling is smooth and fast and I like the UI. Swiping from the side to quickly access your bookmarks makes this my favorite browser.
I wish they'd do an Android design-guidlines based update. The Gingerbread-y feel to the UI is very off-putting to me.

I wish they'd do an Android design-guidlines based update. The Gingerbread-y feel to the UI is very off-putting to me.

It's true that it's really ugly. but it's one of the rare occasions where I'm all for function over form. That extra tap or two that I have to make to access my bookmarks in other browsers annoys me too much, especially since I just browse YouTube and my GAF subscriptions on my phone.

swipe in
"Subscriptions"
read thread
swipe in
back to subscriptions

That's basically all I need the browser for.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I was going to ask you that but I remember you saying you went back to stock.

I actually switched back to CM because I wanted to use the DSP Manager with my new IEMs I got for Xmas and was finally trying out. I *THINK* there is a way to hack install it on Sense, but it wasn't easy.

Plus I found that post on XDA that I posted above about the 4.2 conversion for 4.1 devices since the One XL doesn't have an "official" CM build yet for 10.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom