• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesquad

God damn I've been looking at all the CES coverage and there's only massive phones on display. Why can't there be a good 4.0-4.3" phone. I can't carry these massive phones.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like this 5+ in trend. And it isn't just comfortably fitting the phone in your pocket to take everywhere you go. I value being able to use my phone with one hand which I can't really do with a 5 in screen.

I need that foldable screen where I can use the small form factor most of the time but open it when I need something larger:)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like this 5+ in trend. And it isn't just comfortably fitting the phone in your pocket to take everywhere you go. I value being able to use my phone with one hand which I can't really do with a 5 in screen.

I need that foldable screen where I can use the small form factor most of the time but open it when I need something larger:)

I think everyone is chasing after that Galaxy Note money. It won't take long for some companies to see that there is a market for phones with smaller screens.

tino

Banned
That is good to hear. I was trying to figure out why there isn't a big push for linux on tablets. I guess that explains it.

Any recommendations for a non-widescreen android tablet. I mostly need one for pdf reading and dislike the 16:9 format of most tablets.

Most of the Android Tablets are 16:10. Only stupid W8 tablets are 16:9.

I would get the Galaxy Note 10.1

snacknuts

we all knew her
God damn I've been looking at all the CES coverage and there's only massive phones on display. Why can't there be a good 4.0-4.3" phone. I can't carry these massive phones.
What's wrong with the Razr M? I just picked one up for my wife and it's a slick little phone.

MisterC20XX

If its not android I can not run Google Music and Beyondpad and Taskers.

I myself am looking for a small, lightweight Android device just for Amazon MP3 and BeyondPod. I'm thinking about buying an old Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V and using WiFi only. It's pretty small and $50 on Amazon. It has stock Froyo 2.2 on it. My HTC EVO V with an OtterBox case is too big and heavy to take running.

tino

Banned
I myself am looking for a small, lightweight Android device just for Amazon MP3 and BeyondPod. I'm thinking about buying an old Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V and using WiFi only. It's pretty small and $50 on Amazon. It has stock Froyo 2.2 on it. My HTC EVO V with an OtterBox case is too big and heavy to take running.

I got quite a few One V I brought during black friday and slowly selling them for profit. I can use one of them as mp3 player if I want. Its just that I want something "cooler".

I brought a Motorola stereo bt earphones yesterday. I am going to use it with my note and see if I can fit that in my "workflow". If not I will get a tiny Android phone.

Anyone else having issues with quoting GAF posts? Lets say I highlight a portion of the quote in a reply. I then either try to type over it or delete it. It will delete the wrong portion. It's annoying and stops me from posting on mGAF.

AOSP browser but possibly others. Not sure.

Are you using Swype? Because I was having the same problem with it and ics+. Switched to SwiftKey flow and have no problems so far.

MarkusRJR

So after looking at a ton of phones (and constantly finding a few flaws that make them worthless) I've raised my budget a bit.

Now I'm trying to decide between an iPhone 4S (unlocked), LG Optimus G (unlocked), SG3 (locked), or a BB10 phone (locked). I would have purchased the LG Optimus G but the back glass isn't gorilla glass (like the Nexus 4) and cracks due to temperature changes. I live in Canada so one winter and the back would be cracked. Any advice?

I got quite a few One V I brought during black friday and slowly selling them for profit. I can use one of them as mp3 player if I want.

I did this. The One V makes an excellent mp3 player. It can easily do 2 days on battery with the screen being on for 7 hours(in airplane mode). Sound quality is good IMO.

So after looking at a ton of phones (and constantly finding a few flaws that make them worthless) I've raised my budget a bit.

Now I'm trying to decide between an iPhone 4S (unlocked), LG Optimus G (unlocked), SG3 (locked), or a BB10 phone (locked). I would have purchased the LG Optimus G but the back glass isn't gorilla glass (like the Nexus 4) and cracks due to temperature changes. I live in Canada so one winter and the back would be cracked. Any advice?
S3 I guess, even though S4 will be out soon it's still a viable phone. 4S is good too but I mean...no LTE. That hurts. Definitely not BB10.

MarkusRJR

S3 I guess, even though S4 will be out soon it's still a viable phone. 4S is good too but I mean...no LTE. That hurts. Definitely not BB10.
My carrier doesn't even have LTE where I live. Plus, I only have 512mb of data per month on my prepaid plan so even if I had it I'd be setting myself up for overages. I'm honestly thinking of just picking up the LG Optimus G or waiting for the Z and importing it (even if that means living with a glitchy dumb phone for a few months more). The iPhone 4S is too limited with only 16gb and no external memory slot. I have a 32gb waiting to be used and it'd be a waste to let it sit around.

Ah yeah I forgot Koodo didn't start expanding LTE seriously until late last year.

Honestly I'd take an S3 over an Optimus G. And I don't even like Samsung's phones all that much. That's just my opinion though.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Ah yeah I forgot Koodo didn't start expanding LTE seriously until late last year.

Honestly I'd take an S3 over an Optimus G. And I don't even like Samsung's phones all that much. That's just my opinion though.

I second the Galaxy S3. Can't stand the way LG skins their phones and that updates are painfully slow. Only LG phone I'd get is the Nexus.

More explanation of why I say the s3:

They're both skinned and I hate skins but touchwiz definitely has better unique features on their skin. If you don't like skins and plan to root your phone and put custom shit on it, the S3 has TONSSSS of developer support. The camera is simply a lot better. Specs are great. Everything else is solid.

And like liquidus said, if you do plan to stay tock, then Samsung has better support than LG.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Completely agree about the level of support the S3 has and will continue to have. Touchwiz is one of the better skins too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Are you using Swype? Because I was having the same problem with it and ics+. Switched to SwiftKey flow and have no problems so far.

It happens to me with both Swype and SKF :(

jokkir

What's the pros and cons of on{x} and tasker?

And what are examples of useful things I can do with them? Some of the example tasks doesn't seem too useful

tino

Banned

And what are examples of useful things I can do with them? Some of the example tasks doesn't seem too useful

Tasker is for geeks (who has at least taken a class of programming in college.) On{X} is for hipster like Josh topolski.

Here is how I use Tasker

When home -> turn on wiki, turn off screen lock (well this function doesn't work with ICS anymore, whatever), change brightness

When close to work -> turn on tether, adjust brightness, turn on screen lock

Weekend morning, trigger an alternate RSS app to download some casual news I can read on subway.

In retrospect I could have done it with a much simpler profile app but at the time I brought it it was the only app that could turn on and off screen lock.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I use llama, free and easy to use. I use it for two reasons. I use it to set my phone to silent from 11pm to 6 am and to turn brightness to 100% and rotation on when plugged in, for GPS usage in my car.

1lUy9l.jpg

ASUS has announced a 7-inch budget Android tablet, dubbed the MeMO Pad. At first glance it looks, physically, a bit like the Nexus 7, but this guy's definitely lacking the hardware department by comparison. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, as it's targeted at emerging markets, where price is more important than power. The MeMO Pad seems to fit that bill with a $149 listing for the lowest storage option.

The MeMO Pad is running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean with a paltry 1024x600 resolution. (Hey, gotta save somewhere, right?) It's powered by a VIA WM8950 processor running at 1 GHz, paired with a Mali-400 GPU. (Ah. Saved some there as well.) It's got 1GB of RAM, and either 8GB or 16GB or on-board storage, with a microSD slot for good measure. Plus you get 5GB of free online storage from ASUS.
http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-announces-149-memo-pad

there it is! DAT ASUS $150 7"er!!!

DXPett1

I was thinking about exactly this today before my run. Would love an Android device the size of my iPod nano (square one, not latest rectangle one) with clip. All it needs is to have Google Play Music and WiFi/GPS for running/cycling apps

What are the current crop of Android watches like? Works they door this purpose?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I really love that conversion kit someone on XDA made that I posted about earlier. It basically gives you 4.2 apps and some feature stuff for all of the current 4.1.X ROMs like AOKP and CM. Definitely would highly recommend it to anyone running a 4.1.X ROM currently.

Pctx

Banned
I really love that conversion kit someone on XDA made that I posted about earlier. It basically gives you 4.2 apps and some feature stuff for all of the current 4.1.X ROMs like AOKP and CM. Definitely would highly recommend it to anyone running a 4.1.X ROM currently.

No FC's huh?

tino

Banned

Do you get the ugly time font?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I see that picture as more of a testament to how good the iPhone's screen is. It just pops in that picture.

tino

Banned
Is Samsung really calling its upcoming amoled screen a 4.99" screen? Thats just ridiculous.

I hope a Chinese shanzhai phone maker take a piss at it call its own screen 4.999" screen.

I see that picture as more of a testament to how good the iPhone's screen is. It just pops in that picture.

or maybe how not good the Sony screen is? that was a common criticism of the devices.

Is Samsung really calling its upcoming amoled screen a 4.99" screen? Thats just ridiculous.

I hope a Chinese shanzhai phone maker take a piss at it call its own screen 4.999" screen.

if so, it means 5" phones sound "too big" and ... numbers game in effect~!

I still really hope the galaxy s4 increased screen size is accomodated by getting rid of the home button and decreasing bezzles, and the new version of touchwiz just has the stock on screen buttons. Final product being the same size or smaller than the S3.

But why don't Samsung make a legit 4.9" phone? They make their own screens.

They can make a 4.94" screen and still call it 4.9"

i'm sure every inch counts when it comes to shrinking that AMOLED tech too. i'm still going to be surprised if they really go 1080p, but it looks like they don't really have a choice. everyone else is doing it...

I still really hope the galaxy s4 increased screen size is accomodated by getting rid of the home button and decreasing bezzles, and the new version of touchwiz just has the stock on screen buttons. Final product being the same size or smaller than the S3.

stock buttons... hahahahaha!

i'm sure every inch counts when it comes to shrinking that AMOLED tech too. i'm still going to be surprised if they really go 1080p, but it looks like they don't really have a choice. everyone else is doing it...
the new "thing" in android isn't really 5 inch screens imo, it's the 1080p resolution that is important here. So yeah they have no choice.

stock buttons... hahahahaha!
a man can dream, then making them touchwizzed on screen buttons. Whatever that would look like :S

Talon

These screens aren't fabbed one-by-one. They're machined as large sheets and then cut into the sizes that they'll be used for.

tino

Banned

Nonononononono..... no no no no no no.gif

Bboy AJ

I hope Samsung's new Touchwiz is even less like stock. Give me proprietary buttons or whatever zany bs you can. I'm hoping Samsung branches off.

Threi

notag
oh god no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom