• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have this twisted hope they somehow fuck google over in some way, just for the ultimate level of lulz.

It would be epic. And it's not too crazy of a possibility. I really hope Samsung does it.

Oh god yes. Capacitive and Hardware buttons are some prehistoric shit at this point. Embrace the future.

if slow 'quick' settings, thin/blod clocks, weird red highlights, sealed batteries, no SD and crappy lockscreens are the future, all i can say is "good thing this shit is open source"

just keep pressing that button every few months JBQ

Threi

notag
Oh god yes. Capacitive and Hardware buttons are some prehistoric shit at this point. Embrace the future.
"The future" is dumb shit that tries (and fails) to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

But my disapproval is directed more towards less bezel. Total form over function there.

Mitsuho

Banned
Not quite sure how one would get rid of every hardware button - just the menu, volume, return, etc. might be more feasible. Keeping the digitizer and CPU powered when in standby to capture a start-up gesture surely isn't a worthy offset to battery life. I've seen a few 'throwaway' grade devices with just back and power buttons. (Emerson, Polaroid rebrand, etc.)

As for a charger/PC connection, the pebble e-watch has a magnetic mount to allow it to be water resistant and avoid an exposed connector which might lead to adoption by other devices in the Android ecosystem.

I see that picture as more of a testament to how good the iPhone's screen is. It just pops in that picture.

It's actually a really shitty wallpaper which is grey. I have no idea which clever person thought to use a grey wallpaper, but there you go. With the blue flower on a black background the screen looks ultra black. Just compare the on screen button part and you will see what I mean.

The new xperia phones are weird, in videos and pics it actually looks kind of bad yet on every hands on they seem to gush over it for the most part outside of viewing angles.

The new xperia phones are weird, in videos and pics it actually looks kind of bad yet on every hands on they seem to gush over it for the most part outside of viewing angles.

Because of the shitty grey background. Honestly whoever came up with that background needs to be fired. If they just used the blue flower background it would have been fine:

blue_flower_hd.png
vs

Everyone who has a hands on looks through the other stock pictures and gets a sense of how awesome the screen is. Look at how grey the blackest tone in the Z wallpaper is! Another classic - wtf, Sony? moment to savour...

Hahah so that white washed out portion is actually part of the wallpaper, wow I totally didn't realize that.

Also guys, it begins (this is samsung btw):

5RCJS.jpg

but I also caught a glimpse of what might possibly be the display headed to the next generation Samsung Galaxy smartphone. On display was an example roadmap of Samsung AMOLED displays, and at the far right slated for Q1 2013 launch is a Full HD 1080P display 4.99-inches diagonal with 440 PPI. I didn't get close enough to be able to see what the subpixel geometry or stripe was, but 440PPI underneath and the fact that it's the successor to the 5.55" display (from the Note 2) makes me think this is likely RGB.

Samsung is also claiming a 25 percent power saving using a new material on new AMOLED revisions, and also has a low power mode that I don't know much about with 47 percent power savings. Again, I strongly suspect this display will find its way into whatever Galaxy S 4 ends up being.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6645/...hone-concept-and-499inch-1080p-amoled-display

RuGalz

one thing I don't like getting rid of hardware home button is that if the app hangs the phone, there's no way for hardware interrupt to allow user to kill the app (unless they move that functionality to power button). so when it happens on my GS3, I still have a chance of just killing the app. on my N10, it just reboots because I can't bring up the damn soft menus. shit better stop crashing w/out hardware buttons!

Futureman

one thing I don't like getting rid of hardware home button is that if the app hangs the phone, there's no way for hardware interrupt to allow user to kill the app (unless they move that functionality to power button). so when it happens on my GS3, I still have a chance of just killing the app. on my N10, it just reboots because I can't bring up the damn soft menus. shit better stop crashing w/out hardware buttons!

anytime an app has hung for me on my Galaxy Nexus, the little pop comes up within 5 or so seconds that asks if you want to wait or kill the app. I guess I don't use a ton of apps, but I almost never get apps crashing.

RuGalz

anytime an app has hung for me on my Galaxy Nexus, the little pop comes up within 5 or so seconds that asks if you want to wait or kill the app. I guess I don't use a ton of apps, but I almost never get apps crashing.

Yea except sometimes that doesn't even come up but switching to another app using hardware button can allow me to kill the other process.

Cipherr

We edging towards a civil war up in here over these onscreen buttons.....
maruseesu2.png

Team Nexus versus team *Bwoop Bwoop*? I reckon this battle'll end quickly.

reKon

Banned
Anyone here have a DNA? I used in the Verizon store and the screen is damn amazing. I checked out Verizon reviews and people seem to really love this phone and find the battery life satisfying. It's a shame that the S3 is taking all the thunder though... Same with the RAZR MAXX HD. Throw Nova Launcher in there and you should be good..

We edging towards a civil war up in here over these onscreen buttons.....
maruseesu2.png

Team Nexus versus team *Bwoop Bwoop*? I reckon this battle'll end quickly.
Team Bwoop! will destroy the competition. The N4 is so bad that production has been halted and no one knows if it will resume or not at this point.

bbdude

Anyone here have a DNA? I used in the Verizon store and the screen is damn amazing. I checked out Verizon reviews and people seem to really love this phone and find the battery life satisfying. It's a shame that the S3 is taking all the thunder though... Same with the RAZR MAXX HD. Throw Nova Launcher in there and you should be good..

My guess is not many average consumers know how crazy dat PPI is. Give it time though; I only just started seeing commercials for the DNA

The new HTC flagship is going to have higher PPI than the DNA because it'll be 1080p on a 4.7 inch screen.

468.7PPI

it was the screen that got me last time on the one x. i will not be fooled this year. gettin that S4. it just has so much more support and the bootloaders aren't locked to hell.

(no that the one x bootloader is still locked, but they gave up on s-off...) hate when the modding community gives up on stuff, makes me wish i knew about that kind of stuff. they even got s-off on the int'l version and the one s and the evo 4g lte. just couldn't do it on the at&t one x.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Look everyone, it's a black slab. Haven't seen that one before. So sexy!

I had the exact same thought. I'm not saying it looks bad or anything, but I'm not seeing what makes it stand out from the miriad of black slab phones we've seen over the years.

On a side note my device is now going to weekly CM10 updates rather than nightlies. That being said they are doing this to switch the team over to CM10.1 instead. Supposedly as soon as they get the camera working they are going to switch 10.1 from experimental to nightly designation.

I'm happy with CM10 for now especially since I installed the JB conversion kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom