• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Agreed!

zces1-1024x682-640x426.jpg

There were like 5 phones in total at CES. Most of them were crappy chinese monstrosities too.

VoxPop

The Xperia Z is looking mighty sweet. Can't say the same for any other Android phone. The Xperia just might get me back on the Android bandwagon. God bless you Sony

Why do you believe that rumor? I have no seen a single non 5 inch 1080p screen besides the Lenovo K900.
because the guy who said so has a VERY good track record.

Also the xperia ZL is best designed android phone I have seen in a while, from a technical standpoint at least.

tino

Banned
because the guy who said so has a VERY good track record.

Also the xperia ZL is best designed android phone I have seen in a while, from a technical standpoint at least.

I predict every single Android manufacturer will release a 5 inch flagship phone, including LG, HTC and Motorola.

I predict every single Android manufacturer will release a 5 inch flagship phone, including LG, HTC and Motorola.
All we know rumour wise as of now, at least reliable rumour wise is that the new HTC flagship (the M7) has a 4.7 inch 1080p resolution. Pretty much everything about the phone has leaked already.

Also the person who leaked it disappeared on twitter so that only makes it more believable, lol. That and he's always been right about stuff I believe. That doesn't mean they won't release a 5inch phone though, they already have with the DNA. But their big phone that will go onto most carriers is likely the M7, and yeah.

All we know rumour wise as of now, at least reliable rumour wise is that the new HTC flagship (the M7) has a 4.7 inch 1080p resolution. Pretty much everything about the phone has leaked already.

Also the person who leaked it disappeared on twitter so that only makes it more believable, lol. That and he's always been right about stuff I believe. That doesn't mean they won't release a 5inch phone though, they already have with the DNA. But their big phone that will go onto most carriers is likely the M7, and yeah.

Hasn't a picture of the M7 leaked already? I thought it confirmed the 4.7" size, but not the full HD resolution.

Anyway, I would be surprised if the M7 beat the ZL in terms of size. The ZL really is that small.

Hasn't a picture of the M7 leaked already? I thought it confirmed the 4.7" size, but not the full HD resolution.

Anyway, I would be surprised if the M7 beat the ZL in terms of size. The ZL really is that small.
a picture of a closeup of the front leaked. And yeah here are the specs that the dude leaked as well:

A_tzJTHCAAAzREF.png

He has also given tidbits about sense 5.0 which were confirmed in leaks days later. So he knows his shit. Also he says as far as he knows all major carriers will get it. So yeah this is their flagship Tino.

And yeah the one X is bigger than the ZL dimension wise, which is insane. And also why I asked you if it FEELS smaller even though we know it factually is.

edit: OH lol I just noticed he is back on a different name https://twitter.com/LlabTooFeR He says he was forced to wipe his shit from XDA/Twitter. Wonder what happened.

I predict the new HTC flagship will use Tegra 4.

It would be a brave company that uses Tegra 4 in a phone with less than 4000mAh battery. It's just going to destroy every single battery, and Sense is not exactly known for sipping power, it is a fucking guzzler.

I think HTC will use Tegra 4 this year but not for the phone, rather in their Note competitor for Q3/4. If they use it in their phone they can expect worst in class battery life. I think APQ8064T (SD-600) is a better candidate.

tino

Banned
It would be a brave company that uses Tegra 4 in a phone with less than 4000mAh battery. It's just going to destroy every single battery, and Sense is not exactly known for sipping power, it is a fucking guzzler.

I think HTC will use Tegra 4 this year but not for the phone, rather in their Note competitor for Q3/4. If they use it in their phone they can expect worst in class battery life. I think APQ8064T (SD-600) is a better candidate.

There should be a version of T4 designed for smartphone coming out soon. I was told Feb. There may be delay due to change of fabbing plant. Strictly rumor stuff.

buhdeh

Speaking as someone who has had both the S3 and N4, the S3 is great if you love ass ugly plastic phones and amateur UI design. I'd go back to iPhone before I subject myself to an atrocity of design like the S3 again. I don't know who okay'd the S3 design (especially in pebble blue) but got damn, I've seen turds come out of my ass that look better!

Speaking as someone who has had both the S3 and N4, the S3 is great if you love ass ugly plastic phones and amateur UI design. I'd go back to iPhone before I subject myself to an atrocity of design like the S3 again. I don't know who okay'd the S3 design (especially in pebble blue) but got damn, I've seen turds come out of my ass that look better!

But... it's designed with nature in mind! And the human interaction with the phone!

From a current White S3 owner.

It's funny to see people talk the same shit about Samsung over and over. Meanwhile they have announced that they have sold 100 million Galaxy S devices. The more desperate the shit talking gets, the more they sell! I need to buy more Samsung stock.

Arucardo

My 2 year contract just ended last week and I figured it's time for an upgrade, the HTC Desire HD served me well (still almost good as new besides the slight wear on the upper edges of the metal body). Started eyeing the S3 and even the Note 2 (doubt I'll go for that though, no way can I use it without both hands). I'd love to get a Nexus 4 but no one offers it here in Finland and the store prices are pretty steep.

I'll try and see if my current provider let's me keep the insanely cheap data plan if I order an S3 from them I guess. Anything coming up right now that I should hold out for instead?

Le-mo

I just got my first Android phone today. A HTC EVO V running Android 4.0.3. Are there any cool features/apps I should know about? And is there a way for me to update to the newest Android firmware? It's 4.2 I believe?

It's funny to see people talk the same shit about Samsung over and over. Meanwhile they have announced that they have sold 100 million Galaxy S devices. The more desperate the shit talking gets, the more they sell! I need to buy more Samsung stock.

it's all marketing man. most people just buy what's marketed. it can't be because some people like TouchWiz features or Super AMOLED or removable batteries or expandable storage or shiny fragile devices that look like academy awards.

-Amon-

Nobody gives a shit about build quality, materials and design I guess then. Can't really understand what's the appeal in Samsung products. Bang for the bucks ( internals only ) maybe ?

gimmmick

I just got my first Android phone today. A HTC EVO V running Android 4.0.3. Are there any cool features/apps I should know about? And is there a way for me to update to the newest Android firmware? It's 4.2 I believe?

I don't wanna be a dick, but I doubt your phone will ever see jelly bean officially. It's the one big down side of going with virgin mobile. Root your phone and get the lastest rom from xda forums.

My favorite apps to use on my phone is spotify, falcon pro and happy hour.

Nobody gives a shit about build quality, materials and design I guess then. Can't really understand what's the appeal in Samsung products. Bang for the bucks ( internals only ) maybe ?

maybe people value true build quality and materials made for the real world as opposed to something that's shiny and sounds good on paper but in practice means treating a phone like a newborn baby. or maybe it's just the removable batteries and sd cards. or maybe it's just marketing...

The Galaxy S3 definitely isn't made for the real world if that's what you're implying. The one I'm holding right now was practically the first phone I had to get a case for because the glossy plastics make it pretty slippery.

To answer Amon's question, the reason I bought the GS3 is because Samsung is the only Android manufacturer that puts out devices that aren't crippled with huge problems. Crap like the Sense multitasking problem on the One X, Sony with their historically poor screens and .jpg compression algorithms that are way too aggressive, and Motorola for non-existent software support are not acceptable on high end devices. Things like bad colour calibration and uninspiring build quality I can deal with but I can't deal with flaws that actually ruin core functions of a high end smartphone.

Its not so much Samsung are amazing at what they do but they're the least incompetent. If HTC, Sony, or Motorola actually strived to put out the best phone possible in a timely fashion instead of pumping out more devices than they can count, they'd probably be a bit more successful against Samsung. Sony gives me some hope since the Z and ZL actually look really good. The screen still seems to have poor viewing angles but the front on view looks perfectly fine. The camera doesn't seem all too amazing but its not dreadful like before. I'm more worried about the battery life to be honest.

Anyway, I don't know why people baby their devices so much. For the iPhone 4, the back might be glass but it can generally withstand drops that aren't intended to destroy the device. If it does shatter, its extremely easy to repair and you can just get an aftermarket back that isn't made of glass if you've got butterfingers. With the iPhone 5, I guess people shove a case onto it to preserve its resale value...I mean I just sold my dying iPhone 4 for like $250, Apple stuff makes tonnes of money on auction sites so long its in decent condition.

Arucardo

Hellz yes, got lucky. Called my provider and asked about extending my current plan for another 2 years and they said it's fine. Basically paying a total of 48 euros for two years of unlimited 3G data (it included the phone before but now that the phone is paid for it's only the 2 euros a month for unlimited data).

Also went to a shop to try both the S3 and the Note 2 and found the Note 2 to be surprisingly comfortable even for my smallish hands. Came home, extended my current payment plan and ordered a Note 2, very much looking forward to receiving it.

jokkir

What's the best SMS restoring app? I'm downgrading from 4.2.1 back to 4.1 and estoring using Titanium Backup & ROM Toolbox Pro keeps crashing the Messaging app afterwards.

quaere

Is it possible to charge an Android tablet and use a USB keyboard at the same time through the same port using a USB hub?

That M7 render looks wrong. It goes against more reliable leaks. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an early prototype or something, but I'm pretty sure that isn't how the phone will look. Also it will have capacitive buttons, pretty sure sense 5.0 doesn't have any on screen.

Le-mo

I don't wanna be a dick, but I doubt your phone will ever see jelly bean officially. It's the one big down side of going with virgin mobile. Root your phone and get the lastest rom from xda forums.

My favorite apps to use on my phone is spotify, falcon pro and happy hour.
That's unfortunate. Isn't rooting the same as jailbreaking on the iPhone? Another question, the battery on my phone seems to be dying pretty quick. I checked the power usage and it says the screen is using 82% of the power. The heck is going on? The back of the phone is pretty warm too.

That's unfortunate. Isn't rooting the same as jailbreaking on the iPhone? Another question, the battery on my phone seems to be dying pretty quick. I checked the power usage and it says the screen is using 82% of the power. The heck is going on? The back of the phone is pretty warm too.

rooting is kind of the same idea in theory, full control of your device. however you can already do many things by default on Android that would require jailbreaking in iOS.

whats your screen on time? brightness setting?

-Amon-

maybe people value true build quality and materials made for the real world as opposed to something that's shiny and sounds good on paper but in practice means treating a phone like a newborn baby. or maybe it's just the removable batteries and sd cards. or maybe it's just marketing...

You can't seriosly tell me that an S3 is ROBUST. Noone in the real world would use it without a shell please. That rear plastic build scratches just leaving t on a table !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom