• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le-mo

rooting is kind of the same idea in theory, full control of your device. however you can already do many things by default on Android that would require jailbreaking in iOS.

whats your screen on time? brightness setting?

The brightness setting was set to automatic and the on screen time I believe was 3h? I turned it off cause it was getting hot. Is there a way around this?

Kiraly

That M7 render looks wrong. It goes against more reliable leaks. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an early prototype or something, but I'm pretty sure that isn't how the phone will look. Also it will have capacitive buttons, pretty sure sense 5.0 doesn't have any on screen.

It's not an 'official' render, probably something someone made after he had a hands on with the device but could not snoop up some pictures. At least, that's what I'm guessing.

Meilow from unwiredview tweaked the picture as to what the phone might look like in the end.

o4vnf.jpg

It's not an 'official' render, probably something someone made after he had a hands on with the device but could not snoop up some pictures. At least, that's what I'm guessing.

Meilow from unwiredview tweaked the picture as to what the phone might look like in the end.
that is more believable.

It also explains what zomgwtfbbq had heard that the phone might be bigger than the one x and s3 even though it's only a 4.7 inch screen. The extra room being used for the random ass big grills.

buhdeh

The Galaxy S3 definitely isn't made for the real world if that's what you're implying. The one I'm holding right now was practically the first phone I had to get a case for because the glossy plastics make it pretty slippery.

To answer Amon's question, the reason I bought the GS3 is because Samsung is the only Android manufacturer that puts out devices that aren't crippled with huge problems. Crap like the Sense multitasking problem on the One X, Sony with their historically poor screens and .jpg compression algorithms that are way too aggressive, and Motorola for non-existent software support are not acceptable on high end devices. Things like bad colour calibration and uninspiring build quality I can deal with but I can't deal with flaws that actually ruin core functions of a high end smartphone.

Its not so much Samsung are amazing at what they do but they're the least incompetent. If HTC, Sony, or Motorola actually strived to put out the best phone possible in a timely fashion instead of pumping out more devices than they can count, they'd probably be a bit more successful against Samsung. Sony gives me some hope since the Z and ZL actually look really good. The screen still seems to have poor viewing angles but the front on view looks perfectly fine. The camera doesn't seem all too amazing but its not dreadful like before. I'm more worried about the battery life to be honest.

Perfectly said. The S3 is in no way 'made for the real world'. The cheap ass, slippery, glossy plastics and the placement of the home button is the opposite of ergonomic. Like you, I was forced to buy a case just so I wouldn't feel like this thing would fly out of my hands when I take it out of my pocket. It's funny cause I thought the S2 was pretty nicely designed/made and some variants even had a really nice feeling, grippy back!

My beef lies mostly with TouchWiz. if anyone wants to see how much Samsung cares about making a good user experience with TouchWiz, just look at S-Voice. It's hilarious that it CAUSES home button presses to lag. Having to tell friends that disabling it speeds up the phone is just a facepalm moment.

Ocho

Perfectly said. The S3 is in no way 'made for the real world'. The cheap ass, slippery, glossy plastics and the placement of the home button is the opposite of ergonomic. Like you, I was forced to buy a case just so I wouldn't feel like this thing would fly out of my hands when I take it out of my pocket. It's funny cause I thought the S2 was pretty nicely designed/made and some variants even had a really nice feeling, grippy back!

My beef lies mostly with TouchWiz. if anyone wants to see how much Samsung cares about making a good user experience with TouchWiz, just look at S-Voice. It's hilarious that it CAUSES home button presses to lag. Having to tell friends that disabling it speeds up the phone is just a facepalm moment.

The S3 and the S2 have the same home button placement (also, the iphone 5, and every new smartphone).

Regarding S-Voice lag, well, I don't mind it, and I'm pretty sure if you don't tell your friends, they wouldn't notice the lag either. Unfortunately, there are hardware limits in technology, therefore waiting less than half a second for a second 'click' is common. Even software like Windows has it, now that I think about it.

Guess you can find faults in all hardware, if you look for them.

EDIT: That HTC render looks like
the back of
an iphone 5. No way it is legit.

The brightness setting was set to automatic and the on screen time I believe was 3h? I turned it off cause it was getting hot. Is there a way around this?

a way around it getting warm or a way to have better battery life?

The S3 and the S2 have the same home button placement (also, the iphone 5, and every new smartphone).

Regarding S-Voice lag, well, I don't mind it, and I'm pretty sure if you don't tell your friends, they wouldn't notice the lag either. Unfortunately, there are hardware limits in technology, therefore waiting less than half a second for a second 'click' is common. Even software like Windows has it, now that I think about it.

Guess you can find faults in all hardware, if you look for them.

EDIT: That HTC render looks like
the back of
an iphone 5. No way it is legit.
it's a hardware limit in a device being psychic. the software has to wait a second to see if you double tap to determine if you want to go home or activate s voice. that's all it is, but some people make a big deal about Samsung ruining their lives.

A way to have better battery life.

well, first thing is use it for a few days... the first couple of days you will use it obsessively and anything but a Note/MAXX will run down pretty far.

tips include stuff like trying manual brightness on as low as you can bear and seeing if that has any difference vs auto, setting some apps (facebook, twitter, etc) to sync less often or not at all depending on the app, and on that phone (or any early gen 4G phone really) having 4G if you don't need it on. early gen 4G modems can be power hogs.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Found a fairly new Galaxy Nexus (about 1 year old) on Kijiji for $150. Any way to check if this phone is stolen? Seller has it in an Otterbox with the USB cord. I'm in Canada btw.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I think they do. I asked the seller for a serial number/ESN and the carrier it was purchased from. I'll just call the carriers.

Edit- It's a Virgin Canada phone so since it's Bell they should have some info.

In the market for a tablet but it seems outside of the Nexus 7/10 there is very little out there in the way of ticking all the boxes. Samsung are still selling the Galaxy Tab 2 models, despite the hardware being ridiculously out of date. Lenovo have a couple of tablets, all with poor quality screens, and I think the same can be said for Toshiba. Otherwise it seems other manufacturers have all bailed out with Google/Kindle/Nook selling at cost.

I am tempted by the Archos Titanium HD, especially since it has a price of £199. Problem is.... It's an Archos. :-

What's wrong with either nexus?

I'd like something that's sort of in the middle of the two, both in size and price. (If the rumour if a Nexus 7.7 are true then I'm there day one!)

I was initially drawn to N10, but I can't justify £330 on a tablet when I know that a) I'll probably end up using my laptop after the first few weeks and b) That's ipad money, and as much as I'm an Android fanboy, even I know that app wise the N10 doesn't even come close.

And I like being awkward.

Hieberrr

Are there any Android headsets with inline controls? Specifically I'd want buttons for skipping tracks.
I bought the Skullcandy Ink'd 2s last month for $15 (with a discount) and they work like a charm. They are going for $30 on their website. You can probably find the same pair or the Ink'd 1s on Best Buy/Amazon for a cheaper price.

Cipherr

T-Mobile rolling out its LTE. And one of the first markets to get it will be Kansas City :D

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...las-vegas-to-be-followed-soon-by-kansas-city/

Have you heard that T-Mobile is working on an LTE network? It's true. According to an interview with the carrier's USA EVP and CTO Neville Ray over on FierceWireless, the company is "days away" from flipping the switch on its new towers. The initial rollout will take place in Las Vegas (where T-Mo had hoped to debut in time for CES, but was delayed), followed closely by Kansas City.

All of a sudden the midwest is getting so much love. Google Fiber, and Sprints LTE hit here pretty early in their respective rollouts. Now T-Mobile is starting around these parts too.

3phemeral

T-Mobile rolling out its LTE. And one of the first markets to get it will be Kansas City :D

All of a sudden the midwest is getting so much love. Google Fiber, and Sprints LTE hit here pretty early in their respective rollouts. Now T-Mobile is starting around these parts too.

I'm not sure if I'm mixing things up, but is this part of that initiative that will make AT&T phones compatible with T-Mobile?

I'm not sure if I'm mixing things up, but is this part of that initiative that will make AT&T phones compatible with T-Mobile?

they have done a good job of rolling out 1900mhz 3g/4g networks already, a lot of areas have 1900 coverage so you can use at&t phones and have hspa+.

if you live in vegas or KC and are on T-Mo it's a good time to be a Nexus 4 owner. you are about to get LTE any day now. it's bound to be blazingly fast as only a few people will be on it.

my sister just switched to T-mo and is in houston. got a GS3 for christmas. hopefully they will let her exchange it for the GS3 LTE version for T-Mo as houston is going to be one of the early areas as well

shots fired at Sprint

this is like when Sprint rolled out Dallas as one of their first cities... shots fired at AT&T

3phemeral

they have done a good job of rolling out 1900mhz 3g/4g networks already, a lot of areas have 1900 coverage so you can use at&t phones and have hspa+.

if you live in vegas or KC and are on T-Mo it's a good time to be a Nexus 4 owner. you are about to get LTE any day now. it's bound to be blazingly fast as only a few people will be on it.

my sister just switched to T-mo and is in houston. got a GS3 for christmas. hopefully they will let her exchange it for the GS3 LTE version for T-Mo as houston is going to be one of the early areas as well

Ah, thanks. I'm in Grand Rapids, MI and the AT&T Note my roommate has is actually running on T-Mobile's network, but their signal strength and speed are horrid.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I bought the Skullcandy Ink'd 2s last month for $15 (with a discount) and they work like a charm. They are going for $30 on their website. You can probably find the same pair or the Ink'd 1s on Best Buy/Amazon for a cheaper price.

Thanks, but I just realized I can actually use the button on the earbud set that came with my GS2 to skip tracks. Talk about a D'OH moment :lol Besides, it's headphones I'd be interested in, not really earbuds. Do you know if anything like that exists for Android?

Edit: Found this. Anyone who've tried the SHS8105A?

Troll

Banned
Guys, on the GS3 when I'm listening to music while working out all of a sudden it mutes itself after about 30 minutes saying something about damaging my ears. How do I turn that off?

Le-mo

well, first thing is use it for a few days... the first couple of days you will use it obsessively and anything but a Note/MAXX will run down pretty far.

tips include stuff like trying manual brightness on as low as you can bear and seeing if that has any difference vs auto, setting some apps (facebook, twitter, etc) to sync less often or not at all depending on the app, and on that phone (or any early gen 4G phone really) having 4G if you don't need it on. early gen 4G modems can be power hogs.

I let the phone died out then recharged it and that seems to have fixed the problem. No overheating and lots of battery life left.

Rumor of incoming 8" Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.

I hope the resolution is higher.

BUT WHAT SOC IS IT ON!?

edit: oh, the source is SamMobile.

Samsung’s new upcoming Galaxy Note 8.0 will use a 8.0” 1280×800 TFT (Super Clear LCD) display, 5 megapixel back camera, 1.3 megapixel front camera, 2 GB RAM, 16/32 internal + Micro SD slot. The battery of the Galaxy Note 8.0 will be a 4600 Mah one. The Galaxy Note 8.0 will also have many ways of connectivity like Bluetooth version 4.0, USB 2.0 and Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n and A-GPS. The dimensions of the tablet will be 211.3×136.3×7.95 mm and the weight is around the 330g. Samsung’s new Note device will run on Android 4.2 called Jelly Bean.
they're pretty close to 100% on rumors/leaks so expect this to be correct.

Withnail

New Chrome beta is out and on my Nexus 7 it's extremely fast! Looks like Google have solved the speed problems. Now we just need full screen mode and quick controls and we'll really be getting somewhere.

jokkir

New Chrome beta is out and on my Nexus 7 it's extremely fast! Looks like Google have solved the speed problems. Now we just need full screen mode and quick controls and we'll really be getting somewhere.

Still noticeably slow on my Nexus S and Nexus 7 especially compared to Dolphin Browser/AOSP JB Browser. I'll try it more today though.

Worse Korea. Pantech will have its version soon. :)

It has a 3000 mAh battery, largest yet.

damn, i didn't even know they were Korean... guess i'll need a new naming scheme... something with 3...

dual speakers or Samsung designers trolling?

What's the point of the Note line or this thing then?

Wacom tech!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Haha. Makes sense in a Samsung way. I could've sworn I read that they'll be getting rid of physical buttons as well.

darkwing

every device for every market segment is the Samsung way, heck they still sell monochrome cellphones here in my country a few months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom