• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.D

Can anyone recommend a good keyboard for my Galaxy S? I can't stand this shitty keyboard I have. I always seem to press the wrong letters. It never happens when I write something on an Iphone

freshair

Can anyone recommend a good keyboard for my Galaxy S? I can't stand this shitty keyboard I have. I always seem to press the wrong letters. It never happens when I write something on an Iphone

Popular keyboards include the Swiftkey, the new Kii keyboard (my preference), or the beta of swiftkey flow

Doopliss

Galaxy S IV makes an appearance in Antutu Benchmarks, confirms Exynos 5 Octa CPU

the monster rears its ugly (cheap plastic) head :p
The source article to which they linked just comments that the recorded frequency of 1.8Ghz matches the maximum frequency of the Exynos 5 Octa. It's purely speculation, nothing close to confirmation.

DXPett1

I'm sooooooooo impressed. Not. Anyone who has used the stock browser knows how unreliable bezel gestures are. And that seems way less convenient than just having buttons. It's a solution created for a problem that didn't need to exist in the first place.

I actually brought up the quick controls in the asop browser and how much they failed and it was good to see Paranoid Team thought the same way and thus designed these controls differently. Check out their responses on G+

sholmes

Neo Member
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here it goes.

I'm a 5 year iPhone user. For the last two years, I've been jailbroken. I bought a 64GB iPhone 5 that arrived on its release date in September........ but I have yet to activate it. The functionality I get out of being jailbroken is the number one reason I haven't activated it yet. And just this week I came to the epiphany that I might want to switch to Android because of its open platform and sooooo many tweaks, "hacks", widgets, etc.

But, the build quality of the iPhone is exceptional (weight, feel, etc.). I've handled a number of Android phones and I always remember the feel of thin plastic, which was a turn off. Also, I hate the trend of "bigger is better" for screens. I like the iPhone 4 and 5 screen size. They fit nicely in all my pockets (pants, inside suit pocket, jackets). I don't want a larger screen.

So, with all of that said, I've come to you guys for advice on Android models that might fit my needs. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

I'm a 5 year iPhone user. For the last two years, I've been jailbroken. I bought a 64GB iPhone 5 that arrived on its release date in September........ but I have yet to activate it. The functionality I get out of being jailbroken is the number one reason I haven't activated it yet. And just this week I came to the epiphany that I might want to switch to Android because of its open platform and sooooo many tweaks, "hacks", widgets, etc.

But, the build quality of the iPhone is exceptional (weight, feel, etc.). I've handled a number of Android phones and I always remember the feel of thin plastic, which was a turn off. Also, I hate the trend of "bigger is better" for screens. I like the iPhone 4 and 5 screen size. They fit nicely in all my pockets (pants, inside suit pocket, jackets). I don't want a larger screen.

So, with all of that said, I've come to you guys for advice on Android models that might fit my needs. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

iPhone 5

why? the only good (specwise) iPhone sized phone is the Motorola Razr M/Motorola Razr i and you won't be happy about the build quality on it. people want bigger phones and that's what android manufacturers are making. if your clothes truly can't accommodate the size of phones most people are using, there's no sense in changing your wardrobe just to fit a larger phone.

tino

Banned

See if your hand can fit a Sony Xperia ZL when it come out.

Android doesn't put back button on the upper left corner so your hand doesn't have to cover the whole screen.

You don't have to ditch iOS platform just own both for a while and see which one is better. IMO Android is better for tinkerers.

Gigglepoo

I recently got a refurbished Nexus S 4G. Fine phone, but the browser crashes while reading NeoGAF (it's the only site that's had a problem so far). Is there a reason why? Or should I just download a new browser? What's the best alternative to the standard browser?

sholmes

Neo Member
See if your hand can fit a Sony Xperia ZL when it come out.

Android doesn't put back button on the upper left corner so your hand doesn't have to cover the whole screen.

You don't have to ditch iOS platform just own both for a while and see which one is better. IMO Android is better for tinkerers.

Thanks, tino. The tinkering is definitely what's making me want to change.

Ocho

The Paranoid on screen buttons look nice, but I still prefer physical buttons. Prefer a simple click than a swipe and drag.

TEAM BWOOP BWOOP

Pctx

Banned
Paranoid is a shit ROM IMO since the DPI setting and "tablet" like experience on a phone is absolutely garbage. I ran it for a couple of hours and that was a few hours too many.

EDIT: Since Deep See Pacific Rim Power Battle Station Hyper edition asked, I figured I would give the thread an update to; Phone X is most likely looking for a Mid-Q2 release so it can showcase KLP. If haven't seen the latest version as they have been gone silent. Still the phone I'm waiting for tho.

Paranoid is a shit ROM IMO since the DPI setting and "tablet" like experience on a phone is absolutely garbage. I ran it for a couple of hours and that was a few hours too many.
Too bad. I've never tried it. Not wild about the tablet interface on a 4.5-inch screen. But I'll still give it a whirl for the full screen settings. I don't understand the haters.

Skip Nexus 4:

Non-Nexus Android 5.0 Kie Lime Pie Motorola X 5-inch smartphone coming at Google I/O? via Droidforums

To say we have been anxiously awaiting any new intel regarding the "Motorola X Phone" that was rumored last year is a huge understatement. Luckily, our hidden friends in high places within the industry haven't let us down.

We have some new "rumint" today regarding the super-hot phantom device, and we just couldn't wait to share it. We want to preface this with the disclaimer that we have not been able to find any secondary corroboration for this news, and the source is not the most solid we have used, but the content of the rumor seems very plausible. For the sake of possibilities and potentialities we thought it worth-while to offer it for your perusal. Here's what we have heard:

• The new Motorola X Phone will be a 5-inch device, but the display will be edge-to-edge, and nearly bezel-free. This means it will actually look and feel smaller than a Samsung Galaxy S III.
  • The X Phone will not be a Nexus device. However, while this may initially bring unhappiness to some, apparently this phone will be Motorola's first cross-carrier (hence the X-name) branded phone, free from the tether of Verizon. It is designed to be it's own new hyper-competitive brand.
  • Additionally, the Moto X-Phone will be the first device to ship with Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie and will be announced at the same time as the next mobile OS during Google I/O later this year.
  • Finally, while this will not be a Nexus device, supposedly, Motorola has been working hard to create a UI that both compliments & enhances the Android experience, and is intended to be Nexus-like. Additionally, they are working on a variety of software add-ons to improve the functionality of the device further, much like several of Samsung's software features, like S Beam for example.

Again, please take this rumor with a grain of salt, because we couldn't find any other info across the web to back it up; however, if it is just a fan-boy's imaginings, it seems very logical and well-developed. In fact, it's even possible that many or all of these ideas could hit the mark directly, and that is why we brought it to you guys. If any or all of this intel turns out to be true, Motorola may just end up shaking up the industry again, just like they did with the original Droid back in the beginning. It looks like "X" marks the spot for an exciting treasure in 2013!

Thanks for the tip anonymous!

So a non Nexus phone from Motorola, yet not completely stock despite Google owning them?

Motorola's skin is extremely close to stock though. I think that's what googles plan is to get something as close to stock as possible by the carriers.

With that said, Motorola hardware and their camera and screens and all that is usually something to not write home about so I can't say I give a shit. Also it probably won't release forever if at all. The battery will probably good though.

Like I said, I'm done with google rumours man. They're always bullshit. If the S4 is good no one is going to care, they'll get that instead. Also won't stop anyone from getting a nexus 4 or an xperia phone or the new LG shit or new HTC shit that will come out.

Does anyone have the patience for this stuff any more? Especially when they never end up as good as imagined.

DXPett1

I can believe that story. Wasn't the Xoom the first with Honeycomb? Key line would be 'shipped with'. KLP will still hit Nexus 4 (and 7 and 10) before this Motorola devices is available to buy

tino

Banned
I can believe that story. Wasn't the Xoom the first with Honeycomb? Key line would be 'shipped with'. KLP will still hit Nexus 4 (and 7 and 10) before this Motorola devices is available to buy

Xoom was a bust. I am not ready to trust Moto yet.

I don't believe Moto has the technical know-how to make an edge-to-edge phone either.

Motorola has decent ideas and always has some aspects of their devices I like, but they're still way far from me ever wanting to invest in them.

Skip Nexus 4:

Non-Nexus Android 5.0 Kie Lime Pie Motorola X 5-inch smartphone coming at Google I/O? via Droidforums

So a non Nexus phone from Motorola, yet not completely stock despite Google owning them?
skinned phone the first with an OS revision? is such a thing even possible?

I hate it when people call all the different OEM smartphones 'Droids'. It seriously irks me.
Verizon won. they ran ads.

ahahaha oh wow

I can't tell which side this guy is trolling but, this guy is a pro.

I am going to steal the word "Scamsung" from him lol.
too
late

i've also seen people use Samesung ... and Samsheep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom