• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

besiktas1

Got my one x back from htc today, not sure if the phone is fixed (getting reception) because they sent it back without the sim tray... Smh.
They said it'll take a week to send me a new one, the lady needed to raise it with her manager. Don't know if I should laugh or cry :(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So I got a Xperia Play from a contest I won and got it flashed today. I was wondering if doing a firmware update would reset the flash to my carrier or not?

tino

Banned
Got my one x back from htc today, not sure if the phone is fixed (getting reception) because they sent it back without the sim tray... Smh.
They said it'll take a week to send me a new one, the lady needed to raise it with her manager. Don't know if I should laugh or cry :(

You remind me of the time when I mailed my Treo 650 to Palm to get replacement they sent it back without the battery. I wrote a VERY ANGRY letter to Palm.

I'd like to think my rage caused the ultimate demise of Palm.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Got something for Coco when he returns:

transphone-660x441.jpeg

It looks like CMIT's TransPhone smartphone-tablet combo has finally made it to stores after its debut in May of last year. A competitor to the ASUS PadFone, the TransPhone fits inside a 7-inch display dubbed the TransPad, and runs Android 2.3.5. The TransPhone has a 3.5-inch screen, a Snapdragon S1 processor, 512MB RAM and ROM, 512MB internal memory plus a 32GB microSD card, a 5-megapixel camera, and more. As for price, a TransPhone plus TransPad combo is $429.99 while individual TransPads are $140 each and a solo TransPhone is $379. You can even go hog wild and get a Family Pack for $999 or a Business Pack for $4499. Seeing as the ASUS PadFone adds a keyboard to the mix, and that there's a PadFone 2 coming up soon, we have a feeling the TransPhone won't be much of a threat to ASUS.

Blackhead

Redarse
Barnes & Noble fires back at Amazon with new Nook HD and HD+ tablets, starting at $199 | The Verge

And retaliate it has, as Barnes & Noble announced today two new tablets aimed head-on at the two Kindle Fire HD models: the Nook HD and HD+.

The 7-inch Nook HD is aimed primarily at readers, while the HD+ is a 9-inch device intended more for shared, home use. In both cases, reps were full of superlatives for the devices, and evidence to back them up. When they bragged about the Nook HD being the "lightest 7-inch tablet on the market," reps produced a Nexus 7 and a Kindle Fire HD for comparison. (At 11.1 ounces, it's very light.)

Unfortunately, even though it's Ice Cream Sandwich you don't get the whole Google Play ecosystem

the Nook HD starts at $199, for 8GB of storage (there's also a microSD slot for adding more space). For $229, you get 16GB of storage, and Lynch agreed with us when we wondered aloud why anyone would buy the cheaper model. The larger Nook HD+ costs just $269 for 16GB of storage, and $299 for 32GB. And, Lynch made sure to tell us, those prices are for ad-free devices that actually come with AC adapters (few opportunities for potshots at Amazon went unseized on this day)

Barnes & Noble's made no bones about its competitors now — it's after Amazon, Apple, and every company in between. The new Nooks best the iPad on price and the Kindle Fire HD on specs
:O

Someone should make a new thread for this?

tino

Banned
Thats weird that they semi announce it with no cpu info. The 9" one actually seem to have better spec and a SD slot!

Also this is Android? I thought MS paid BN hundreds of millions so BN will switch the tablet OS to WP8. So MS paid BN mega bucks for nothing? Thats hilarious.

edit: OMAP 4470 1.3ghz-1.5ghz. Yes somebody definitely make a new thread for it. As soon as the CM10 is out for the 9 incher I plan to get one.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
New Google Play store sale to celebrate the 25 billion download milestone.

http://officialandroid.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/google-play-hits-25-billion-downloads.html

Whether you’re looking for directions, checking email or sharing a picture with friends, apps are now an indispensable part of life. And if you’re using Android, it all starts with Google Play, home to 675,000 apps and games. That’s a lot of choice. We’ve now crossed 25 billion downloads from Google Play, and to celebrate we’re offering some great discounts for the next five days.

25%2BBillion%2BGraph.jpg

Every day you’ll be able to choose from a collection of apps from some of the world’s top developers including Gameloft, Electronic Arts, Rovio, runtastic, Full Fat and more. And all for just 25 cents. We’ll also be offering some special collections like 25 movies you must own, 25 banned books, 25 albums that changed the world and our 25 top selling magazines, all at special prices. Visit Google Play a little later today to check them out.

DrFunk

OMAP OH NO

Texas Instruments withdraws from smartphones, goodbye OMAP:

Texas Instruments is dropping from the system-on-chip for smartphones and tablets manufacturing and will give up on its OMAP lineup.
The company’s OMAP boards are less and less popular among mobile manufacturers – most of them bet on Qualcomm, while Samsung and Apple are developing their own solutions (Exynos, A6). The major disadvantage of the OMAP chipset is the lack of on-board 3G/4G modem.
That forces manufacturers who rely on OMAP chipsets to use additional radio chips, which increases battery consumption and production costs. Now you understand why smartphone manufacturers prefer Qualcomm’s complete solutions, rather than this expensive process.
TI says its focus will shift on “to a broader market including industrial clients like carmakers”, though it did not announce specifics and the investors were left wondering.
Anyway, TI will continue to support its current clients, but will significantly reduce efforts on developing new OMAP chipsets.
The news might come shocking for some, as the TI OMAP 5 was expected to be the first chipset with dual Cortex-A15 CPU, and now it's fate is uncertain. Nonetheless, TI OMAP's presence was barely felt on the market, so the company's exit won't create too much of a disturbance

Where's the announcement for Mobilcity upgrading their towers? So after the upgrade it should be just around the same speed as Wind? The main problem I have with Mobilicity is that the internet is so random that I never know when I'm ever going to get a decent connection and I'm hoping that Wind can fix that.

I looked up the towers for both and Wind seems to have more towers that support HSDPA and I assume that would mean faster speeds, no?

Well all wind and mobilicity towers are HSDPA, what you're looking for is HSPA+. when wind launched, they launched with HSPDA for download and UMTS for upload, so the download speeds were good and the upload speeds were shit. Eventually with subscriber growth, the upload speeds on more popular towers went to shit and affected download speeds greatly. Now with the HSPA+ rollout, they're using HSUPA for upload and that proplem is gone on those towers, but you'll still run into a bunch of towers with saturated UMTS upload resulting in crappy download speeds.

That said with wind, the service works great for me more often than not, and things always seem to be improving at a good rate. Mobilicity doesn't have that (which was initially shady) foreign capital, so the rate at which their service is improving (in terms of towers) is understandably slower.

OMAP OH NO

Texas Instruments withdraws from smartphones, goodbye OMAP:

Well this is certainly a bummer. OMAP has been one of the better SoCs.

I guess that leaves no more major chipmakers making SoCs with PowerVR for android devices? :(

DrFunk

Who asked for Nexus rumors:

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus 2 (model number GT-I9260) keeps popping up in various leaks that seem to confirm earlier reports that suggested that we’re going to see in stores up to five new Nexus handsets and tablets by the end of the year.

Some of those reports have even mentioned some of these upcoming devices by name – the Galaxy Nexus 2, the LG Optimus Nexus and the Sony Xperia Nexus – not to mention that HTC is also rumored to be working on a 5-inch Nexus phablet of its own.

Today, a report from MovilZona reveals more details about the upcoming LG Nexus device, as received from a “person connected with Vodafone,” if the Google Translate version of the Spanish article is to be believed.

The publication seems to indicate that LG is going to be next in line to produce a Nexus device, despite what current rumors say about this year’s Nexus-branded smartphones.

The LG Nexus handset in question is said to offer a 4.7-inch touchscreen display that will sport the “quality and detail offered by Apple’s Retina Display.”

LG has recently unveiled a new flagship device, the LG Optimus G, a handset that does pack a 4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPS Plus display with 1280 x 768 resolution. Android and Me wondered a week ago whether the Optimus G will hit U.S. stores as the next Nexus, a question we’re also going to take seriously considering today’s leak.

However, in case these rumors are true, then we’d expect the LG Nexus handset to be a standalone device, even if similar to the Optimus G. That means that the Optimus G and LG (Optimus) Nexus should be two different hendsets in non-U.S. markets as well. After all, Google will probably not let LG sell the same smartphone as the Optimus G in international markets while including it in the Nexus family only in the U.S.

We’ll be back with more details in the near future, as we expect more Nexus-related leaks to hit the web in the coming weeks – after all, we do expect a Google Nexus press event later this year.

http://www.androidauthority.com/4-7...hone-coming-soon-lg-optimus-g-variant-118049/

gcubed

good riddance to omap, such a horrible solution without an integrated modem. Looks like you have Qualcomm and then customs (Apple, Samsung, Sony NovaThor)

kinggroin

Banned
Exynos has built in LTE shortly and NovaThor also has it on the roadmap for early 2013 i believe

Eh, I feel ya on the no integrated LTE (I had a Verizon gnexus too), but hell if games weren't running much better on those SoCs compared to andreno and sometimes even Mali.

I think its a side effect of games usually be made first with iphones in mind.

Exynos has built in LTE shortly and NovaThor already has it built in, Sony just needs to start using their chipsets

oh, NovaThor has integrated LTE that's already carrier approved and passes FCC, etc tests?

because i'm pretty sure that everyone not names Qualcomm was looking at 2013, including TI.

CrankyJay

Banned
Alright, help me out. Wife and I are iPhone 4 users...I'm thinking of switching us over to S3's or wait next year until S4's are out.

One sticking point with me is free texting for us. Google Voice didn't have push notifications on iOS...is this something that is built into Android since this is a Google OS?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Alright, help me out. Wife and I are iPhone 4 users...I'm thinking of switching us over to S3's or wait next year until S4's are out.

One sticking point with me is free texting for us. Google Voice didn't have push notifications on iOS...is this something that is built into Android since this is a Google OS?

Push notifications for texting? Uhh yeah that's there.

Also, wait for October Nexus Surprise before you commit to the S3

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
For Google Voice texts...is it built into the phone or do I need a google voice app for my phone?

I don't have an SMS plan. Just Google Voice. It works the way SMS should. The app isn't that great but it works well enough. Better than iOS, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom