• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Have any of you used a Moto phone to make a phone call? Their radios shit on everyone's sub-par equipment.
I was shocked when I first made a phone call with my Razr V. The sound was crystal clear.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/01/20/htc-m7-leak

HTCM7PN.jpg

Massive bottom bezel to accommodate hardware ware buttons.

It's about the same size as the Xperia Z, maybe a touch narrower, but the same height I think. What are HTC thinking, releasing a 4.7" phone the same size or larger than 5" phones. They've fucked up again.

HTCM7PN.jpg

It's about the same size as the Xperia Z, maybe a touch narrower, but the same height I think. What are HTC thinking, releasing a 4.7" phone the same size or larger than 5" phones. They've fucked up again.

hardware buttons don't *require* a massive bottom bezel. the height isn't the problem for most people anyway, the width is.

hardware buttons don't *require* a massive bottom bezel. the height isn't the problem for most people anyway, the width is.

To be comfortable they do. HTC could have increased the screen size to 5" and had the same footprint but just used on screen buttons. There is enough width in those renders to accommodate the larger screen size without going edge to edge for 5" with on screen buttons.

To be comfortable they do. HTC could have increased the screen size to 5" and had the same footprint but just used on screen buttons. There is enough width in those renders to accommodate the larger screen size without going edge to edge for 5" with on screen buttons.

well, what can i say... High Tech Computer Corporation.

Let's guess what size battery HTC is going to cram into that device. $10 that its going to be a pathetic 2000mah despite being a huge bastard of a thing.

To be serious, the biggest problem is that they're still holding to the idea that capacitive buttons are good. They were awful and pointless back then and even more awful and pointless now. With Apple and Samsung hardware buttons, they're easy to find and use because you can actually feel them. This isn't really the case with capacitive buttons because you have to be looking at the phone to actually find them. If you have to look at the phone to find the buttons, why don't you just use on-screen buttons and in the process follow Android design guidelines?

tino

Banned
Home key not in the middle? HTC is crazy if this render is true. Also if HTC think 5" is too big, why do they make the butterfly phone? They are sending out conflicting messages.

This phone would have to use a Tegra 4 speed monster to become legitimate in 2013. If its same S4 Pro crap everybody will just write it off.

HTCM7PN.jpg

lol what the fuck, terrible size for that phone. I'll wait for official info before completely ruling it out, but it's unofficially ruled out for me. If I'm going to go big, which it likely is, I'd rather just get a 5 inch. The guy on twitter says it's fake, but he won't say to what extent.

If true: So yeah the HTC phone is a pass for me. So now it's between the Xperia ZL and the Galaxy S4 for me.

Kiraly

lol what the fuck, terrible size for that phone. I'll wait for official info before completely ruling it out, but it's unofficially ruled out for me. If I'm going to go big, which it likely is, I'd rather just get a 5 inch. The guy on twitter says it's fake, but he won't say to what extent.

If true: So yeah the HTC phone is a pass for me. So now it's between the Xperia ZL and the Galaxy S4 for me.

There's an update:

Update 2: As we received more information about the matter we wanted to share that with you alongside some clarifications we just received from Bartosz of Czujnym Okiem.

First of all, the render above is not an official HTC render, meaning it doesn’t originate from the phone maker; however, certain people who claim to have access to an HTC M7 photo — the front, to be more specific — can confirm that the device render above corresponds to the photo of the M7 they have access to.

We’re also being told that while the front of the device looks legit, the back is not. Those who rendered the phone used the Windows Phone 8X as a starting point, lacking information regarding the looks of the real M7′s back, hence the back is just a mock-up; nothing to see there. We took the liberty of getting rid of the back of the phone but you can see it, as originally rendered, in the image below, coming from the same source.

However, as far as the front of the device is concerned, we were informed that it is spot-on, matching the one these good folks have seen. Furthermore, the information first appeared on Polish website Czujnym Okiem that ran the render from Twitter.

We also asked specifically about the buttons, their placement and order. It looks like, according to the same sources above, that HTC will indeed change the order of the buttons, with Home being on the far right.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I think HTC is better than a Windows Phone 8X with Android.

I mean, damn, the Butterfly was at least attractive.

My guess is its faaaake

tino

Banned
How many ways can you design a rectangular black brick? The phone makers has turn this into a bezel war,which I am not less bit interested in.

I am more interested hardware options, such as removable battery, SD card accessibility (without turn off the phone) and pen support.

I have yet to see anyone bring a good hardware idea out in this hardware year, besides the IR port. I admit that's a good idea.

Well the render is confirmed fake already, but no one knows to what extent. I don't care about black slabness. I'm just interested in technical design. Good battery, as compact as possible, good screen. Rather than an erratic combination of features.

I want to see technically focused devices. Designed a certain way for a certain reason.

Like the Note/Note 2?
yeah, that phone was built for a specific niche, and every feature on that phone supports that niche, like the pen, and size, and everything. Everything on the device is what it is for a specific design goal.

That's why I like the ZL a lot. It's designed for compactness and it achieves it in a great way. The whole way that phone is designed is so it can be as compact as it can be while fitting in as much as possible. The Z is also well designed, everything seems to be the way it is for the waterproofing/dustproofing/etc...

How many ways can you design a rectangular black brick? The phone makers has turn this into a bezel war,which I am not less bit interested in.

I am more interested hardware options, such as removable battery, SD card accessibility (without turn off the phone) and pen support.

I have yet to see anyone bring a good hardware idea out in this hardware year, besides the IR port. I admit that's a good idea.

IR ports aren't even new, several Windows Mobile, including my first baby, the Sprint Mogul (HTC Titan), phones had one. Many Android tablets have an IR port also, it's just not a big feature on phones.

Donos

That HTC looks almost like the Desire HD. Even the camera looks almost the same.
Fuck what's wrong with the One X shape? Back to rectangle sharp corners -_-
Good bye htc.

Raoh

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here it goes.

I'm a 5 year iPhone user. For the last two years, I've been jailbroken. I bought a 64GB iPhone 5 that arrived on its release date in September........ but I have yet to activate it. The functionality I get out of being jailbroken is the number one reason I haven't activated it yet. And just this week I came to the epiphany that I might want to switch to Android because of its open platform and sooooo many tweaks, "hacks", widgets, etc.

But, the build quality of the iPhone is exceptional (weight, feel, etc.). I've handled a number of Android phones and I always remember the feel of thin plastic, which was a turn off. Also, I hate the trend of "bigger is better" for screens. I like the iPhone 4 and 5 screen size. They fit nicely in all my pockets (pants, inside suit pocket, jackets). I don't want a larger screen.

So, with all of that said, I've come to you guys for advice on Android models that might fit my needs. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

I'm in a similar situation. I use iPhone 5 and miss having iOS jailbroken. I do like my Nexus 7 but for the most part most phones/tablets feel cheap, I never understood why so many people liked cheaply built phones/tablets. I'd rather pay more for better build quality.

I am considering the Xperia Z but I think the Z doesn't have the upgradeability of the ZL and the ZL looks like it has a similar back and quality of say a samsung note which actually feels like a cheap toy to me as most android phones do. I really want to see both models in person to make a decision.

Both use quad-core processor Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro speed of 1.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, and Adreno 320 graphics processing unit.

Both are equally sized 5-inch full-HD resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels using the Mobile Bravia Engine 2.

ETC ETC ETC

I guess the only differences are, physical size of the device (not the screen).
Closed vs Open ports on the body.
Larger battery on the ZL.
iPhone like build quality on the Z vs the ZL.
The ZL is the only one with the infrared features.

z-n-zl.jpg

IRremote_XperiaZL.jpg

IRRemoteSmallAppXperiaZL11.jpg

If I don't like sony's interface I want to be able to run CleanRom 3.0.

Raoh

Oh, I originally came to post this. I'm new to android so I'm trying to soak up as much as I can, figured I would share my findings for other new people like myself.

Free Android Development Tutorials

Currently, Linux.com is hosting a multi-part series of developer tutorials aimed at teaching you how to learn how program an Android application. They are covering the details to include basic Java. Thus far they have released three parts:

Android Programming for Beginners: Part 1 - This tutorial walks you through creating a basic 30 second countdown application which displays a number on-screen.

Android Programming for Beginners: Part 2 - Adds a drop-down menu to the counter allowing for adjustments to the timer

Android Programming for Beginners: User Menus - Introduces the ListView class and replaces the drop-down with a ListView

vivftp

Assuming they're not fan made, here are the first potential pics of the Xperia Tablet Z. Specs (according to leaks) are supposed to be a 10.1" 1920x1200 display, 6.9mm thick, 495 grams, S4 Pro processor, 2GB RAM, 3G/LTE, expandable storage, IR blaster, likely water/dust resistant becuase we can see port flaps like the Xperia Z, 8MP Exmor RS camera sensor, Jellybean 4.1.2, NFC and Miracast Supposedly due out Q2 of this year, and we should be getting a better sneak peak this Tuesday in Japan at NTT Docomos event

Pricing is estimated at 349 Euros for the standard version, 449 for the 3G/LTE version

tablet_Z_front.png

tablet_Z_back.png

tablet_Z_back_white.png

vivftp

Flaps on the Z are a turn off to me.

My hope is that it'll have some form of wireless charging, or a charging dock like the Xpeia Z so that you don't have to open port flaps just to charge it up. Still, it's a tradeoff for having water and dust resistance. There've been a couple of times when a drink has spilled on my Tablet S, or it's been exposed to a bit of rain, but so far it's managed to survive. That extra piece of mind from having it be waterproof would be amazing.

I do wonder if they've put dragontrail glass on the front or not. Doesn't look like the back is glass like the Xperia Z... maybe metal?

tino

Banned
IR ports aren't even new, several Windows Mobile, including my first baby, the Sprint Mogul (HTC Titan), phones had one. Many Android tablets have an IR port also, it's just not a big feature on phones.

Wll my first PDA had it too (Palm IIIc). Still you have to give them credit to bring it back, to differentiate the phone from the crowd.

vivftp

Wll my first PDA had it too (Palm IIIc). Still you have to give them credit to bring it back, to differentiate the phone from the crowd.

Just out of curiousity, are the IR ports on all those other devices also used for universal remote functions, or something else?

tino

Banned
Just out of curiousity, are the IR ports on all those other devices also used for universal remote functions, or something else?

Its designed to use as universal remote. But Palm also has its IR hand shaking protocal you can to send "business card" to a different Palm device.

vivftp

Its designed to use as universal remote. But Palm also has its IR hand shaking protocal you can to send "business card" to a different Palm device.

Cool, thanks! I know that a couple of other companies have put universal remote functions on their mobile devices, but have never used them. From what I have heard, however, Sonys implementation is supposed to be the best of them all. Anyone want to comment?

I'm in a similar situation. I use iPhone 5 and miss having iOS jailbroken. I do like my Nexus 7 but for the most part most phones/tablets feel cheap, I never understood why so many people liked cheaply built phones/tablets. I'd rather pay more for better build quality.

I am considering the Xperia Z but I think the Z doesn't have the upgradeability of the ZL and the ZL looks like it has a similar back and quality of say a samsung note which actually feels like a cheap toy to me as most android phones do. I really want to see both models in person to make a decision.

Both use quad-core processor Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro speed of 1.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, and Adreno 320 graphics processing unit.

Both are equally sized 5-inch full-HD resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels using the Mobile Bravia Engine 2.

ETC ETC ETC

I guess the only differences are, physical size of the device (not the screen).
Closed vs Open ports on the body.
Larger battery on the ZL.
iPhone like build quality on the Z vs the ZL.
The ZL is the only one with the infrared features.

http://masihsamaaja.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/z-n-zl.jpg?w=640
http://developer-static.se-mc.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2013/01/IRremote_XperiaZL.jpg
http://developer-static.se-mc.com/w.../files/2013/01/IRRemoteSmallAppXperiaZL11.jpg

If I don't like sony's interface I want to be able to run CleanRom 3.0.
i think the real problem is that you think plastic feels cheap and replace build *quality* with build *materials*

the 'cheap plastic' Samsung phones with their magnesium frames and excellent engineering are as slim as other devices yet retain microsd card slots, removable batteries that are usually the same size or larger than their competitors sealed batteries and also have good wireless connectivity too.

back in the day you could beam files and contacts via IR! there were universal remote apps too...

tino

Banned
Cool, thanks! I know that a couple of other companies have put universal remote functions on their mobile devices, but have never used them. From what I have heard, however, Sonys implementation is supposed to be the best of them all. Anyone want to comment?

No, Sony just brought this function after years of neglect. What do you mean best of all. Nobody else offer it now.

My old Nokia 8210 could send data over IR before Bluetooth existed! I used to backup my SMS and contacts that way using the old Nokia software which was awful. It used to take about an hour to back everything up...

vivftp

No, Sony just brought this function after years of neglect. What do you mean best of all. Nobody else offer it now.

I had heard Vizio had put a universal remote function in a tablet, but it was crap compared to Sonys. I can only guess that other manufacturers have also put it in their devices.

Raoh

i think the real problem is that you think plastic feels cheap and replace build *quality* with build *materials*

the 'cheap plastic' Samsung phones with their magnesium frames and excellent engineering are as slim as other devices yet retain microsd card slots, removable batteries that are usually the same size or larger than their competitors sealed batteries and also have good wireless connectivity too.

back in the day you could beam files and contacts via IR! there were universal remote apps too...

That makes sense, my wording is wrong, my preference over a feel of the material sounds about right of what I'm trying to say.

I wonder if they finally lightened up the whole thing. Whether or not they changed the multitasking will confirm that.

As for the phone itself, still not grasping why it would be bigger than the S3 (assuming this is true) and it's only 4.7 inches.

catmincer

I wonder if they finally lightened up the whole thing. Whether or not they changed the multitasking will confirm that.

As for the phone itself, still not grasping why it would be bigger than the S3 (assuming this is true) and it's only 4.7 inches.

Massive battery?

*dies of laughter*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom