• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my mum's Galaxy Ace seems to have suffered from the USSD problem. It didn't factory reset the phone, but she can't dial out anymore.
What options does she have? When I looked on google for answers there's a million pages about how to avoid it, but nothing about what to do once it happens.
Is there a fix?
Is her phone now useless?
how about her sim?

I really know nothing about phones, but she knows even less so she's expecting help from me.
She only got it at xmas, so I'll take it to the shop after work.

tino

Banned
So my mum's Galaxy Ace seems to have suffered from the USSD problem. It didn't factory reset the phone, but she can't dial out anymore.
What options does she have? When I looked on google for answers there's a million pages about how to avoid it, but nothing about what to do once it happens.
Is there a fix?
Is her phone now useless?
how about her sim?

I really know nothing about phones, but she knows even less so she's expecting help from me.
She only got it at xmas, so I'll take it to the shop after work.

Replace it under warranty.

You should know better than to hope for a big battery in an HTC device.

HTC continues it's inexorable journey towards the dustbin of cell phone history.

I am just surprised by how un-ambitious is this M7 thing. I don't like the weather icon btw. It's just predestrian

I'm returning the launch Nexus 10 I got as google have failed to send me a replacement that doesn't have any lightbleed issues. I have been using it on the odd occassions and I'm finding that the 10 inch is just a little too big. I've had a go of the ipad mini and I love the screen size and weight of the device. I've had an iphone 4 since launch but really wanted to move away from apple products (plus I'm not getting the mini with that screen).

Long story short, I've read rumours that google will be releasing a 7.7 tablet in may. Do you think this is possible or should I just get a nexus 7 now?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/01/20/exclusive-this-may-actually-be-the-htc-m7-with-sense-5-0/

nexusae0_wm_IMG_20130121_105044_thumb.jpg

Could be it?

Ladies and Gentlemen, High Tech Computer Corporation.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Somethin' big is coming from Sony:

sony-big-phone-lead.jpg

There's a million things this could be: a fake, a prototype, the spawn of some renegade lathe, we just don't know. What we can say is that the photo above was posted to the Chinese-language Digi-wo forum by someone who reckons it could be a component for a 6.44-inch, 1080p Sony phablet. The bezels on the side look slightly skinnier than those on the similarly sized 6.1-inch Huawei Ascend Mate -- although we might be imagining that, and in any case the Ascend Mate has the advantage of definitely being real.

The worst part for HTC is that they are using a non-standard 1080p panel, which means they are not going to get as good a price as Sony/LG/Huawei/ZTE from Sharp/JDI because all of the current manufacturing is set for 5" 1080p and 4.7" would require them to set up a new specific manufacturing line. It will mean that when this thing bombs HTC won't be able to cut prices aggressively and maintain profit margins.

I asked the same people again about the size, and all of them reiterated that it is between the One X and DNA in size so in terms of physical size:

DNA/Butterfly > Xperia Z > M7 > GS3 > One X > Xperia ZL

The worst part for HTC is that they are using a non-standard 1080p panel, which means they are not going to get as good a price as Sony/LG/Huawei/ZTE from Sharp/JDI because all of the current manufacturing is set for 5" 1080p and 4.7" would require them to set up a new specific manufacturing line. It will mean that when this thing bombs HTC won't be able to cut prices aggressively and maintain profit margins.

I asked the same people again about the size, and all of them reiterated that it is between the One X and DNA in size so in terms of physical size:

DNA/Butterfly > Xperia Z > M7 > GS3 > One X > Xperia ZL
bigger than the S3 is such a fail.

So yeah the ZL or the S4 for me. If the S4 is noticeably larger than the already imo large S3 then ZL it is. Unless the S4 has something that blows away everyone else for miles.

Could be it?

Ladies and Gentlemen, High Tech Computer Corporation.
I don't know why I laughed :(

tino

Banned
HTC will redeem themselves guys, next year they will make a borderless metal body phone that can tripleboot Android, ChromeOS and Windows 8. And it will be called HD3, just watch.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Moving home? HTC... I just don't know about you

This is actually my biggest WTF. I don't mind the phone look (though I don't think it's anything really spectacular either), but why move the home button? I mean WTF kind of reasoning could they have?

Oh well.... it'll still have the best screen on the market.

This is actually my biggest WTF. I don't mind the phone look (though I don't think it's anything really spectacular either), but why move the home button? I mean WTF kind of reasoning could they have?

Oh well.... it'll still have the best screen on the market.

GS4 - 1080p, supposedly RGB alignment AMOLED.

Vanillalite

Google and Samsung cooking up quad-core Nexus 10?

Phandroid

Is Google cooking up an updated Nexus 10 in conjunction with Samsung? Sources say yes, and go one step further, claiming the new tablet is already making the rounds wearing the case of the original Nexus 10.

A quad-core CPU with 8-core Mali-T678 graphics, an upgrade from the dual-core Exynos 5 found in the first iteration.

PS: Semi hyped. Rather hear leaks of the next version of the Nexus 7 instead!

Well, it should be using Exynos 5 Octa instead of S4 Pro, that's kind of a big deal.
meh to me it'll probably be negligible in actual performance, at least in my day to day use.

But if the S4 isn't MUCH bigger than the S3, or manages to stay the same size or smaller, and has MUCH better battery life than the ZL, then I'll have some thinking to do. I'm hoping we get reliable leaks soon so I can decide already! Patience sucks.

Nicktendo86

meh to me it'll probably be negligible in actual performance, at least in my day to day use.

But if the S4 isn't MUCH bigger than the S3, or manages to stay the same size or smaller, and has MUCH better battery life than the ZL, then I'll have some thinking to do. I'm hoping we get reliable leaks soon so I can decide already! Patience sucks.
Good point, should imagine it would suck more battery as well. I really want a good battery life well designed nexus.

tino

Banned
Good point, should imagine it would suck more battery as well. I really want a good battery life well designed nexus.

The 4 slower cores in there is to save power. I expect this soc at lease half generation faster than S4 Pro. S4P is actually not that faster compare to S4. Of course Qualcomm's newer stuff is coming too.

Nicktendo86

The 4 slower cores in there is to save power. I expect this soc at lease half generation faster than S4 Pro. S4P is actually not that faster compare to S4. Of course Qualcomm's newer stuff is coming too.
Ahh OK. Well we will see, personally I am off the gs4 train as I hate amoled and touch whiz but I love the way Samsung push hardware boundaries.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Back from my ban. As anyone who's been banned knows, you get a lot of time to reflect. And so I made a big decision. I'm getting rid of my iPad 3 and getting a Nexus 10. I'm just really tired of the sandboxing. I didn't think it would be an issue with my tablet, since I only use it to browse the web, mostly. But I do use my iPad to Google Voice text and email. The notifications on iOS suck and are a pain. Switching apps stinks. I'm going all Android this time around.

Just bought a used Nexus 10 off of Amazon since they're all sold out on Google Play AS OF TODAY. Of course that happens!

Google and Samsung cooking up quad-core Nexus 10?

Phandroid

PS: Semi hyped. Rather hear leaks of the next version of the Nexus 7 instead!

Oh got dammit

edit: "If a quad-core model proves to be in development, don’t expect it to launch any time soon. Google reportedly plans to launch the device closer to the back-to-school fall season."

Phew.

buhdeh

I dunno man. Most of the "phone" apps stretch okay on the 7, but I can imagine it being pretty bad on the 10. Stuff like urbanspoon and yelp already look bad enough on my Nexus 7. Should be pretty good for just web browsing though, I guess.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I dunno man. Most of the "phone" apps stretch okay on the 7, but I can imagine it being pretty bad on the 10. Stuff like urbanspoon and yelp already look bad enough on my Nexus 7. Should be pretty good for just web browsing though, I guess.

If I was an app heavy user, you're right. I should stick with the iPad. But I'm not. So I think I'll be alright in making the switch. If not, I'll return it and grab a new iPad.

I guess we will see. And if there is anyone else looking to make a switch, either way, I hope to pave the road.

I've flip flopped on android/iOS tablets in the past but honestly I've landed on the perfect combination which I've mentioned before, and that's iOS tablet (currently using ipad mini), and android phone.

Best of both worlds. Apple kills it with the tablet apps and it's just good hardware all around, access to the whole iOS ecosystem. And anroid be killing it on the phones, so you get the best of that world.

Cudder

Can I just say that the Android alarm clock on 4.2 is fucking STUPID? What good is it that you don't get to see your snooze or alarm off option until you touch the screen? And what good is it that those options are only visible on screen by little icons that can be easily confused? This must've been the third time now where I turned my alarm off instead of snoozing. Fucking stupid piece of shit.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Can I just say that the Android alarm clock on 4.2 is fucking STUPID? What good is it that you don't get to see your snooze or alarm off option until you touch the screen? And what good is it that those options are only visible on screen by little icons that can be easily confused? This must've been the third time now where I turned my alarm off instead of snoozing. Fucking stupid piece of shit.
Not going to disagree, but, install a 3rd party one?

tino

Banned
i don't think i could use anything less than a Windows 8 Pro tablet.

*maybe* a Galaxy Note 2 10.1 if it has a high res panel and octa

10" is too big for a non keyboard tablet IMO. I would consider Transformer and W8 tablets (particularly Lenovo) only.

iPad mini is perfect for "tablet tablet".

Cudder

Not going to disagree, but, install a 3rd party one?

Going to have to get back Gentle Alarm that I bought a long ass time ago.

4.2 has made me actively hate my Galaxy Nexus, I don't even like unlocking it to check the time because the screen on lag pisses me off. :\

Google was on such a roll with these Android releases until it got to 4.2. If they don't show some worthwhile stuff soon I might jump ship.

More X-Phone rumours:

According to information posted by a supposed trusted member of the community, which independent sources of Droid-Life’s seem to corroborate, the Motorola X Phone will be announced at Google I/O this may and all carriers will sell the device. An early July release date is said to be targeted, but things could obviously change between now and then.

The device won’t be marketed as a part of the Nexus line, and that unfortunately means Google won’t be guaranteeing updates straight from Mountain View as opposed to carrier-delivered upgrades. We imagine folks would still get timely upgrades for the most part, but as we learned with the Galaxy Nexus debacle nothing is promised.

The rumors state you will have to pay Verizon $15 per month if you buy the device and get it unlocked through them, but if you buy it through the Play Store you’ll get it unlocked with no fee to speak of. Staying on the topic of Verizon, it’s assumed their version will cost $300. It sounds like carriers can price the device according to their own tastes so it might not be the same for the likes of Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile.

Carriers will be permitted to install bloatware on the X Phone, but users can choose to remove any of it after they unlock the phone. This is an action that typically requires root so we’re glad to hear that we probably won’t need to wait for the community to enable us with that functionality.

As excited as you might get reading this, keep in mind that these rumors — although mouth-watering in some aspects and delivered by seemingly trustworthy messengers — are still to be treated as if they’re completely unsubstantiated. We don’t want people getting their hopes up only to be crushed in the event that none of this solidifies, so take it with a grain of salt and treat it as little more than a wishlist until we can gather up some more evidence. What would you say to these particular details?
http://phandroid.com/2013/01/21/motorola-x-phone-rumors/

So basically it's Motorola's next phone it just so happens that Google is more involved this time. Right. Sounding a lot less glamorous.

Vanillalite

I'm not exactly liking the new trend of $300 on contract phones. I know I know. What do you expect Brettison when you are getting a quad core device with 2 gigs of ram a decent gpu all in a 4-5 inch form factor? Still doesn't exactly make me happy. $300 off contract is one things, but hell I hate even paying $200 on contract (I always try and look for cell phone deals).

I'm not exactly liking the new trend of $300 on contract phones. I know I know. What do you expect Brettison when you are getting a quad core device with 2 gigs of ram a decent gpu all in a 4-5 inch form factor? Still doesn't exactly make me happy. $300 off contract is one things, but hell I hate even paying $200 on contract (I always try and look for cell phone deals).

new trend? in the early days, some of the windows mobile, palm and blackberry phones were $400 on contract

tino

Banned
More X-Phone rumours:

http://phandroid.com/2013/01/21/motorola-x-phone-rumors/

So basically it's Motorola's next phone it just so happens that Google is more involved this time. Right. Sounding a lot less glamorous.

Why would Verizon carry this phone in the first place. Verizon has zero incentive to carry it. Nobody (besides Apple and Samsung) can make Verizon do anything.

new trend? in the early days, some of the windows mobile, palm and blackberry phones were $400 on contract

Blame Apple. Before iPhone, the data fee was anywhere from $5-15. After iPhone the data fee jumped to 20-30 mandatory. That's how the on contract fee lowered to 199.

Cheebo

Banned
Why would Verizon carry this phone in the first place. Verizon has zero incentive to carry it. Nobody (besides Apple and Samsung) can make Verizon do anything.

Blame Apple. Before iPhone, the data fee was anywhere from $5-15. After iPhone the data fee jumped to 20-30 mandatory. That's how the on contract fee lowered to 199.

Apple isn't to blame for the cost, the smartphone revolution (started by Apple I give you that) where people use the internet constantly on their phones sucking up endless data. That's the reason for it. No one used data on their phone like they do now before the iPhone. The mobile web sucked pre-iPhone.

Wait, does HTC really stand for high tech computers >_<?

In much the same way that LG once stood for Lucky-Goldstar Group, yes. HTC stood for High-Tech Computer Corporation. LG de-emphasized the company's full name long ago, HTC is doing the same.

The GNote II screen doesn't compare to the SLCD2 screen let alone the SLCD3 screen. So I don't expect a 1080p variant to magically catch up.

Well, it depends on what you prefer. If you prefer superior native motion resolution (better than Lumia 920's overrated screen), superior black levels and contract (superior to all LCDs), and colors that explode in your eyeballs (useful on a phone screen), then yes the Note II is better. If you prefer superior daylight readability, then an LCD is still way brighter than AMOLED at peak brightness. No other flat panel technology will be able to surpass LCD's peak brightness, and this includes plasma TV panels.

I've used plenty of LCD phone screens in my time and honestly I prefer the look of AMOLED. There's a reason why everyone is so hellbent on trying to get OLED into TV panels, it's because once they solve the problems of burn-in and different aging rate of the phosphors, it will take LCD out to the backyard and put it out of it's misery with a 12-gauge. The superiority of OLED over LCD is undeniable, but it has problems that need solving like all new technology.

The Exynos 5 Octa is Samsung's ultimate overkill of big.LITTLE. It's 4 ARM Cortex-A15 cores and 4 ARM Cortex-A7 cores. The 4 "little" A7 cores will be active during most uses and sip power, but when you fire up a game or something the 4 "big" A15 cores will kick in and deliver performance superior to the Krait cores in S4 Pro and deliver superior battery life to the S4 Pro because most of the time the 4 "little" cores will be active.

Hopefully Samsung, the only company which can design the entire phone from the SoC to the manufactured product due to their complete integration of semiconductor manufacturing, device design, parts sourcing, and ownership of their own factories, can keep heat under control which has been such a huge problem for S4 Pro based products like the Nexus 4. There's a reason why Samsung can design a device like the Note II which manages to contain a bigger battery, bigger screen, and even a stylus inside and still be thinner and lighter than the Nokia Lumia 920 and the HTC Droid DNA (Butterfly). It's because when you are fully integrated from top to bottom like Samsung is, you have much better control of the entire design and manufacturing process.

Samsung is the only SoC design company which also manufactures their own silicon, everyone else depends on TSMC, UMC, or GlobalFoundries. So Exynos 5 Octa is basically Samsung styling on everybody because they have a better manufacturing process than the contract foundries do (though like everyone else they are far behind Intel) and they can throw 8 ARM cores on a die and not even give a fuck. Combine that with the ARM Mali-T607 GPUs and this is going to be a monster SoC. It must be nice being Samsung sometimes.

I remember Goldstar TVs back in the day. Hoooooly man were they crap

Judging from the Nexus 4, I would say not much has changed.

/rimshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom