• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
new trend? in the early days, some of the windows mobile, palm and blackberry phones were $400 on contract

As said that was back when plans weren't exorbitant.

I mean the trend of phones going back up to $300 while keeping that $30 a month data on contract.

It seems all of the new phones want to be priced like the note verses the s3.

The Exynos 5 Octa is Samsung's ultimate overkill of big.LITTLE. It's 4 ARM Cortex-A15 cores and 4 ARM Cortex-A7 cores. The 4 "little" A7 cores will be active during most uses and sip power, but when you fire up a game or something the 4 "big" A15 cores will kick in and deliver performance superior to the Krait cores in S4 Pro and deliver superior battery life to the S4 Pro because most of the time the 4 "little" cores will be active.

Hopefully Samsung, the only company which can design the entire phone from the SoC to the manufactured product due to their complete integration of semiconductor manufacturing, device design, parts sourcing, and ownership of their own factories, can keep heat under control which has been such a huge problem for S4 Pro based products like the Nexus 4. There's a reason why Samsung can design a device like the Note II which manages to contain a bigger battery, bigger screen, and even a stylus inside and still be thinner and lighter than the Nokia Lumia 920 and the HTC Droid DNA (Butterfly). It's because when you are fully integrated from top to bottom like Samsung is, you have much better control of the entire design and manufacturing process.

Samsung is the only SoC design company which also manufactures their own silicon, everyone else depends on TSMC, UMC, or GlobalFoundries. So Exynos 5 Octa is basically Samsung styling on everybody because they have a better manufacturing process than the contract foundries do (though like everyone else they are far behind Intel) and they can throw 8 ARM cores on a die and not even give a fuck. Combine that with the ARM Mali-T607 GPUs and this is going to be a monster SoC. It must be nice being Samsung sometimes.

Judging from the Nexus 4, I would say not much has changed.

/rimshot
apparently, the Exynos 5 Octa uses PowerVR SGX544MP3

As said that was back when plans weren't exorbitant.

I mean the trend of phones going back up to $300 while keeping that $30 a month data on contract.

It seems all of the new phones want to be priced like the note verses the s3.
also, remember when Verizon was charging DAT LTE TAX on phones? $250-300 on phones because LTE

Literally the only good thing about that phone is the 3000mah battery. Gloss plastic for the build material? Come on, son!

If the picture is too large, I'll resize it but this is basically LG's consumer electronics design in a nutshell. Its been a long time since I've seen something this hideous:
Nx4boKl.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So what is everyone most looking forward to in Android Land in 2013 both hardware and software wise? I'll start by posting my own "wish list" as it might be called.

Hardware Wise: Definitely by far looking forward to the next version of the Nexus 7. The current Nexus 7 is a solid device + a cheap entry point especially post price drop/size change up. I can't help though if they can keep the cost and slightly improve the hardware though in terms of both inards like the processor as well as the screen it could be ZOMG awesome. Throw in better cameras (front and back this time) as well as improved wireless and speaers and it could be the holy grail of the android world.

Software Wise: I'm leaning towards Chrome finally getting it's act together when ever that actually goes stable. A browser with AOSP like smoothness coupled with all of the extra Chrome bells and whistles would be crazy legit. I'm also intersted to see how that new Opera project turns out.

If I wasn't leaning towards Chrome I'd say probably the next itteration of Wordpress the app. 2.2 is really solid already, and it's one of the current apps that has optimized tablet support. So I'm interested to see how far they can take the app since it's already rather well done. Plus WP 3.5 hit with some new mutlimedia handling features on the desktop side of things so I'm interested to see how they incorporate some of that into the mobile. I'm still a believer that WP is for most non extremely large enterprise needs the best CMS on the market (Drupal wins in a handful of large use situations like the WH website).

PS: LOL I forgot about that LTE tax. LOL

I guess just call me cheap then because I got my One X on an Amazon deal for like $115 shipped barely a month after the US launch. I also got my GF"s old android phone from Amazon for a penny back in the day.

tino

Banned
If the Note 3 is 6.3", its too big for me. With that size, I basically have to get a tiny phone to compliment it, which defeat the purpose.

I will do 6.0" or lower. I have owned 7" tablets, they are too big in bed.

I guess Samsung want to slot the Note 3 right between the 5" S4 and the 8" Galaxy Note 8.0.

DXPett1

So what is everyone most looking forward to in Android Land in 2013 both hardware and software wise? I'll start by posting my own "wish list" as it might be called.

Google's version of the Game Centre. Its already there in G+ so I expect it to be integrated into AndroidOS (or through G+ app).

Continue to have a consistence UI style across all the Google/System apps

Pctx

Banned

Hardware Wise: Definitely by far looking forward to the next version of the Nexus 7. The current Nexus 7 is a solid device + a cheap entry point especially post price drop/size change up. I can't help though if they can keep the cost and slightly improve the hardware though in terms of both inards like the processor as well as the screen it could be ZOMG awesome. Throw in better cameras (front and back this time) as well as improved wireless and speaers and it could be the holy grail of the android world.

Software Wise: I'm leaning towards Chrome finally getting it's act together when ever that actually goes stable. A browser with AOSP like smoothness coupled with all of the extra Chrome bells and whistles would be crazy legit. I'm also intersted to see how that new Opera project turns out.

If I wasn't leaning towards Chrome I'd say probably the next itteration of Wordpress the app. 2.2 is really solid already, and it's one of the current apps that has optimized tablet support. So I'm interested to see how far they can take the app since it's already rather well done. Plus WP 3.5 hit with some new mutlimedia handling features on the desktop side of things so I'm interested to see how they incorporate some of that into the mobile. I'm still a believer that WP is for most non extremely large enterprise needs the best CMS on the market (Drupal wins in a handful of large use situations like the WH website).

I guess just call me cheap then because I got my One X on an Amazon deal for like $115 shipped barely a month after the US launch. I also got my GF"s old android phone from Amazon for a penny back in the day.

Hardware Wise: 5" is the new 4.3". Sorry folks but this is the truth for mobile computing in 2013 for smartphones. The trend will slow as the issue will become shrinking the bezel for the larger screens. Materials wise I'm done with plastic. I want something that is going to look good, handle a drop, get abused by my 1 year old and still work after a few years. Mobile processing at this stage of the game doesn't matter a whole lot. Dual-Core, Quad-Core Hectacore or higher. Memory on the other hand, 2GB or higher is the new standard. I agree with you as well that there needs to be a camera player that sub-licenses lenses and puts a good 8-15 MP camera with good low light and auto features for the masses.

Software Wise: We need Key Lime Pie and we need it yesterday. If mobile is going to continue to evolve, Google needs to start pushing software releases to twice a year and really put the pressure on the manufactures to keep up the pace of the updates. Benefits everyone involved.

buhdeh

Software: Bring Google Voice to Canada already. Also Google Wallet... because EVERY MAJOR RETAILER IN CANADA ALREADY HAS THE INFRASTRUCTURE IN PLACE.

Software: better chrome, key lime pie being a worthy update

Hardware: better battery life, now that we've reached the 5 inch 1080p sector, lets spend a year or 2 to focus on design. That goes for all manufacturers.

Yeah sense 5 has a nice aesthetic going for it but the biggest problems with sense have always been under the hood. Hopefully they reduced the weight by a lot. Not that it matters because the hardware is meh and I won't get it :p

Nicktendo86

My android hopes for 2013

Hardware:
A kick arse nexus phone or a great moto x phone which gets loaded onto aosp for timely updates

Software:
Key lime pie being awsome , chrome gets full screen and quick controls.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

PriitV

My android hopes for 2013

Hardware:
A kick arse nexus phone or a great moto x phone which gets loaded onto aosp for timely updates

Software:
Key lime pie being awsome , chrome gets full screen and quick controls.

Pretty much guaranteed to happen, iffy on the chrome one tho.

Hardware Wise: the return of IR blasters and the triumphant rise of better speakers.

Software Wise: S Beam (NFC -> Wifi File Transfer) tech standard in Android OS. Miracast tech standard in Android OS.

gcubed

*spits coffee out* Yup, we're done here folks. Honestly though I wonder how Google f'ed BT so badly with 4.2.... like did they go on a Diablo style Dungeon Raid looking for shit to break in Android?

they completely rewrote the BT and NFC stack i believe... NFC because they changed their standard secure element details. BT... i have no clue

Maybe a good lock screen and clock. I can't believe how they screwed it up in 4.2. A co-worker teased me for my ugly clock on my lock screen.

4.2 seems to be a fuck up all around. I tested it on my Sensation a couple of weeks back using a daily driver ROM and I reverted back to 4.1 since it was smoother.

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung, Sony and HTC skip 4.2 completely at this rate and jump straight to 5.0.

gcubed

4.2 seems to be a fuck up all around. I tested it on my Sensation a couple of weeks back using a daily driver ROM and I reverted back to 4.1 since it was smoother.

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung, Sony and HTC skip 4.2 completely at this rate and jump straight to 5.0.

at this point they should. The only thing i really really miss going from my N7 to VZW Nexus is the swipe keyboard.

Galaxy S4 rumours:

Samsung’s next flaghsip device built under codename “Project J” has now been changed to codename “Altius(J)”. The Samsung Altius will come in 2 colours black and white. Samsung will of course give the colours nicer names but we are currently unaware of them. Samsung is planning to ship the Altius starting from week 16, which simply means April 15. We expect Samsung to hold an unpacked event at MWC or sometime in March. Samsung could hold one of its mobile unpacked events in London, New York or even Korea.

We have even more information!
The rumour about the Galaxy S IV having wireless charging is real! Samsung will sell a separate dock and a back cover with wireless charging capabilities for the device. Samsung will make the wireless charging kit available a couple of weeks later after bringing the device itself on sale. The back cover with wireless charging indicates that the next generation Galaxy S device will have a removable back cover, just like company’s current flagship device the Galaxy S III. As we are talking about charging we can also confirm the battery capacity of the upcoming Galaxy S device. Samsung’s next flagship device will pack a 2600 mAh battery, the Galaxy S III uses a 2100 mAh battery.
Lets hope Samsung uses high quality materials on the next generation Galaxy S device, like it does on its Wave and Omnia line (Aluminum).
http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/22...vice-code-named-altius-goes-on-sale-in-april/

I honestly thought they were going to go giant phone with 3000mah battery like LG did.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope KLP brings Google Now to the lock screen. I don't check it often enough. Also, there's been nary a rumor on KLP. Sucks. Must mean it's still a few months away for June.

I miss twice a year big Android updates. Those were great. It kept the heat on everyone.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I'm hoping for better business email/calendar support. The email app is extremely basic.
It needs a search mode, ability to filter, sort, display emails down by day/week along with conversation threads.

PriitV

KLP should bring us the unified method of messaging, think G+ and Gtalk in one place also the features of iMessage, that when availiable avoid sending text over cellular and use IP instead.

gcubed

KLP should bring us the unified method of messaging, think G+ and Gtalk in one place also the features of iMessage, that when availiable avoid sending text over cellular and use IP instead.

at this point, the unified messaging is in myth status for me. Google lies

snacknuts

we all knew her
Does anyone have any experience with the Galaxy Note 10.1? I bought a Note 2 recently in the hope that it could be a good supplement for school, but I don't think it's going to cut the mustard. So I was thinking of returning it and going back to my S3 and picking up one of the Note tablets instead. My interest in tablets of any sort has heretofore been zero, but I want to be able to type notes and draw directly on them. I don't know of a way to do that on my laptop, so a tablet seems like my only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom