• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
My phone was freaking out yesterday.

It kept beeping every two minutes with the message "Charging paused. Voltage too high".Iit wasn't even plugged in and the battery plummeted, then suddenly started increasing without a charger.

people here are against higher quality shit? For shame.

people want higher quality, not better makeup.

I hope KLP brings Google Now to the lock screen. I don't check it often enough. Also, there's been nary a rumor on KLP. Sucks. Must mean it's still a few months away for June.

I miss twice a year big Android updates. Those were great. It kept the heat on everyone.
they can't even get the smaller updates right... lets worry about that first!

VanWinkle

Is anyone else's Play Store website on their PC completely janked? Ever since they switched to Roboto for everything, the site is TERRIBLE for me. And it's on Chrome!

ibaNzb157tH6BX.JPG

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is anyone else's Play Store website on their PC completely janked? Ever since they switched to Roboto for everything, the site is TERRIBLE for me. And it's on Chrome!

Sall good here, but I'm running Firefox not Chrome. Plus this isn't in Windows either.

reKon

Banned
Damn it, so for work in order to receive work email on my phone, my phone can't be rooted..

That means that I can't use the aokp rom I'm running anymore and that I can't backup with titanium backup right?

Cipherr

KLP should bring us the unified method of messaging, think G+ and Gtalk in one place also the features of iMessage, that when availiable avoid sending text over cellular and use IP instead.

I'm hoping for better business email/calendar support. The email app is extremely basic.
It needs a search mode, ability to filter, sort, display emails down by day/week along with conversation threads.

I want all of the above quoted for KLP. Software software software. I want to see improvements in terms of unified message and the default email app for the poor souls who dont use GMail. And improvements in stuff like Google Now.

Software Wise: We need Key Lime Pie and we need it yesterday. If mobile is going to continue to evolve, Google needs to start pushing software releases to twice a year and really put the pressure on the manufactures to keep up the pace of the updates. Benefits everyone involved.

Disagree with the bolded. Sounds like a recipe for shipping half assed point updates. To hell with that. Once a year will be more than fine. Less than that if what they are working on isn't ready in time. Don't go pushing out shitloads of point updates to add little piddly shit like additional lockscreens and a font change on the clock like they did with 4.2.2. That little shit aint worth a update, and it feels half baked too.

Google’s Larry Page Talks Improving Nexus Hardware Supply, Motorola’s Opportunities For Device Innovation

Google’s conference call regarding its quarterly earnings were mostly rehashing of themes we’ve heard before – cross-platform remains a priority. But Google CEO Larry Page had a few words to share about hardware in his own kick-off spiel. Page reiterated what we’ve heard recently about hardware supply levels from the Google Play store, and dropped (it’s a pun, you’ll see why later) a hint around what Motorola is doing at Google in terms of hardware.

Page said that there is “work to be done managing our supply better… and that is priority for the teams.” While it isn’t very detailed, it is at least acknowledgement that the issues around low supply for the hard-to-get and very much in demand Nexus 4 are full recognized by the very top brass at Google. Page’s comments didn’t go so far as French LG Communications Director Cathy Robin, who promised better supply by February last week, but they show both Google and LG are working together to resolve the backlog.

Also on the hardware front, Page talked briefly about Motorola, and what they’re doing in terms of delivering innovation on that front from their new position under the Google umbrella. Page was even more cagey on this front, but he did come up with possibly telling examples of what kind of issues they could be looking at. “Battery life is a huge issue,” and the added that you shouldn’t have to constantly worry about your devices, noting that, for example, “When you drop your phone, it shouldn’t go ‘splat.’”

Clearly, these are obvious pain points for mobile devices: durability and longevity in terms of device battery life. If Motorola’s hardware engineering team is genuinely being put to work on making real improvements these and other major smartphone sore spots, I’m content to wait and let things percolate a while longer before we see the union bear fruit. We haven’t yet seen what Google will do once it holds the reins with Motorola’s hardware division, because as Google’s Patrick Pichette pointed out on the call, the company is still working through Motorola’s existing hardware pipeline, which he said accounted for about 12-18 months of releases at the time of acquisition.

Well obviously. Everyone knows they plan to use Motorola to make their own phones. It's just taking them forever.

I will say I'm excited to see their flagship next year. I assume this year will still largely be pumping out things they had in the pipeline. Next year might be their first completely new/fresh/google made phone.

Cipherr

Yep I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like all of 2013 will still be old school Motorola products slightly influenced by Google. Will likely be 2014 before we really get to see them try something from the ground up.

Goddamn at adopting 18 months of product pipeline. That really throws an anchor into the sand. Gonna be a while before they can really get going.

gcubed

Google gets itself in there... the razr M was a google inspired vs the normal moto output. The x phone will be google inspired. You won't get full focus and all the shit out of the pipeline until end of this year though

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google gets itself in there... the razr M was a google inspired vs the normal moto output. The x phone will be google inspired. You won't get full focus and all the shit out of the pipeline until end of this year though

Yep. Sounds to me the X Phone will be great and a show stopper. But it'll still have Motorola kinks. The one after that will likely be what we on Android GAF are looking for.

Why does anyone think the X phone will be that great. Motorola isn't known for good screens or good cameras or good anything really other than battery life and uhhh radios.

I'd be surprised if the phone is a significant departure and they now all of a sudden have access to better hardware.

catmincer

Yep I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like all of 2013 will still be old school Motorola products slightly influenced by Google. Will likely be 2014 before we really get to see them try something from the ground up.

Goddamn at adopting 18 months of product pipeline. That really throws an anchor into the sand. Gonna be a while before they can really get going.

Same with the Sony phones of 2012 they were all left over Sony Ericsson designs.

gcubed

Why does anyone think the X phone will be that great. Motorola isn't known for good screens or good cameras or good anything really other than battery life and uhhh radios.

I'd be surprised if the phone is a significant departure and they now all of a sudden have access to better hardware.

"Access to screens" is as simple as getting a different screen. Having a company that makes 15 billion a quarter owning you helps in that regard

"Access to screens" is as simple as getting a different screen. Having a company that makes 15 billion a quarter owning you helps in that regard
if it were as easy as just getting better screens they would have done it. Takes a while to get a supply chain going. Especially when more popular manufacturers are hogging all the supply keekkekeke.e

gcubed

if it were as easy as just getting better screens they would have done it. Takes a while to get a supply chain going. Especially when more popular manufacturers are hogging all the supply keekkekeke.e

they had 0 money before. its not that easy when you are hemorrhaging cash every quarter to establish a supply of nicer screens

they had 0 money before. its not that easy when you are hemorrhaging cash every quarter to establish a supply of nicer screens
and now they're balling? Or are you going to say now they have google behind them, because if there's one thing we know, it's that google knows how to manage a supply chain.

There was intense sarcasm there.

Disagree with the bolded. Sounds like a recipe for shipping half assed point updates. To hell with that. Once a year will be more than fine. Less than that if what they are working on isn't ready in time. Don't go pushing out shitloads of point updates to add little piddly shit like additional lockscreens and a font change on the clock like they did with 4.2.2. That little shit aint worth a update, and it feels half baked too.

Updating twice a year is also a licence for OEMs to get pissed of with Google. Right now they are all battling with the "yeah but it comes with 4.1 rather than 4.2" line even though 4.2 adds basically nothing but bugs. I know Sony weren't happy with 4.2 and the OEMs got together to stop Google calling it Key Lime Pie because they knew it would have a negative effect on sales of their devices.

Google need to move to a single major update per year structure, the whole 4.2 update process just shows why.

and now they're balling? Or are you going to say now they have google behind them, because if there's one thing we know, it's that google knows how to manage a supply chain.

There was intense sarcasm there.

Yup, even a company like Sony has been having difficulty getting a supply chain together for their mobile devices unit and they are an electronics company. It's only with the Z series that Sony have been able to get their shit together and get enough units out onto the market. That took from the end of 2011 (when the deal was announced and Sony took over the partnership) to the start of 2013 to get a single phone out with the best quality parts.

I don't see how Google, other than paying more money that they don't want to spend, can do better than Sony.

Also, I think Google are just priming Motorola for sale, they can't afford to piss off Samsung, Sony and HTC. Samsung are preparing their own ecosystem, Sony have one almost ready to go and HTC are looking enviously at the $1bn per year that Nokia get for exclusive WP8 support. Android's strength lies in it's diverse ecosystem, that ecosystem is dependent on the three major players pumping out a wide range of devices as well as flagship ones like the Xperia Z, One X, and of course the Galaxy S series. Google would be foolish to compete with these lines and destroy hardware margins (none of the three majors were happy about Nexus 4 pricing, neither were LG tbh) as it would leave Android bereft of premium devices to compete with iPhone.

Google have to tread very carefully right now, a wrong move could see the whole Android system they have built come crashing down. Using Motorola to push low margin high quality hardware will be bad for business. Motorola is dead in Europe and Asia too, and in the US the brand has been in terminal decline.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I know Sony weren't happy with 4.2 and the OEMs got together to stop Google calling it Key Lime Pie because they knew it would have a negative effect on sales of their devices.

Unless you have a source, I'm calling bs. 4.2 isn't even close to a name-changing upgrade. 2.0 to 2.1 was still Eclair.

Unless you have a source, I'm calling bs. 4.2 isn't even close to a name-changing upgrade. 2.0 to 2.1 was still Eclair.

2.2 to 2.3?

I have a source, though not one that would like to be made public! The OEM demand was actually just to jump API level and call the update 4.1.5 or something like that. Many see the jump from 4.1 to 4.2 as tool for Google to give their Nexus branded devices a leg up on OEM ones which is why they insisted on keeping the Jelly Bean name.

Whatever happened, 4.2 has been botched from start to finish. From the initial buggy release to the poor pace of roll out among OEM devices. Most are talking about skipping 4.2 completely.

Pctx

Banned
The dot releases that Google pushes out are stupid. They confuse people and don't really mean anything except to the mod communities.

He has been wrong before. He told me Olympus would stop making m43 cameras and start making Sony NEX mount cameras.

Sony are said to be in talks to double their investment in Olympus as they seek to "deepen integration of their partnership for camera parts". Plus I remember saying that there is a chance, and there still is a chance, the final fall out of Sony's investment in Olympus is not yet known. Olympus have been using a holding strategy in cameras since the investment for that reason.

tino

Banned
Sony are said to be in talks to double their investment in Olympus as they seek to "deepen integration of their partnership for camera parts". Plus I remember saying that there is a chance, and there still is a chance, the final fall out of Sony's investment in Olympus is not yet known. Olympus have been using a holding strategy in cameras since the investment for that reason.

Hehe you are still putting money in that rumor. I would just write it off.

Hehe you are still putting money in that rumor. I would just write it off.

It really depends on what Sony's cashflow is like this year. If it is a net positive of around ¥250bn for this year and a projection of more for the following year then I think further investment could be justified and that would then unlock a deeper camera partnership.

2.2 to 2.3?

I have a source, though not one that would like to be made public! The OEM demand was actually just to jump API level and call the update 4.1.5 or something like that. Many see the jump from 4.1 to 4.2 as tool for Google to give their Nexus branded devices a leg up on OEM ones which is why they insisted on keeping the Jelly Bean name.

Whatever happened, 4.2 has been botched from start to finish. From the initial buggy release to the poor pace of roll out among OEM devices. Most are talking about skipping 4.2 completely.
GB added beefy internals though.

I'm trying to wrap my head around these x phone rumors. If Google owns Motorola, and Google wants them to make a killer, standard-defining phone, and Google is involved in everything from the hardware to the software, why would there be Motorola-specific bloatware? I sincerely hope that part of he gossip is BS.

Al-ibn Kermit

I'm trying to wrap my head around these x phone rumors. If Google owns Motorola, and Google wants them to make a killer, standard-defining phone, and Google is involved in everything from the hardware to the software, why would there be Motorola-specific bloatware? I sincerely hope that part of he gossip is BS.

Because it's not a developer phone. It has to look distinctive from the other manufacturers phones and offer the bloatware feature that most users would actually want.

vivftp

Also, I think Google are just priming Motorola for sale, they can't afford to piss off Samsung, Sony and HTC. Samsung are preparing their own ecosystem, Sony have one almost ready to go and HTC are looking enviously at the $1bn per year that Nokia get for exclusive WP8 support. Android's strength lies in it's diverse ecosystem, that ecosystem is dependent on the three major players pumping out a wide range of devices as well as flagship ones like the Xperia Z, One X, and of course the Galaxy S series. Google would be foolish to compete with these lines and destroy hardware margins (none of the three majors were happy about Nexus 4 pricing, neither were LG tbh) as it would leave Android bereft of premium devices to compete with iPhone.

Ooooo! I know there's been rumblings about either a Vita phone or Vita OS being integrated into Android elsewhere, so this comment interests me. Anything you can say to elaborate on this in terms of what to expect or a timeframe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom